Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

On the one hand, this is what she's been raised to believe and her "heart for children" has been part of her self-identification for a long time.

I think Jill discovered having a "heart for children" means loving your kids and providing for them.   Not having a barnful of kids that you hand off to "sister moms" at the first opportunity.   She done raised a passel of kids already with her siblings.   She KNOWS whether she wants to that in her own family and is probably at a "we aren't trying to have more kids but sometimes they happen" stage.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

At least Jill has a husband who (hopefully) knows better and corrects her when she speaks/posts like this. He’s one of the few Duggar husbands who is educated enough to do so. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, JoanArc said:

It’s a common medical term. Something Jill would’ve had to memorize for her medical training. 

She hasn’t had medical training that I know of. She’s had out of hospital midwifery training which is a different animal. (And I’m probably the biggest midwifery supporter on these boards 🙂)

9 hours ago, Heathen said:

If she hasn't seen it in print, and only heard it, she likely thinks her version is correct. I doubt any Duggar, even Jill, is reading material that uses the phrase "ad lib." 

I was going to say, she’s likely not well read enough to recognize when words or phrases are spelled wrong. She’s only peripherally heard things, and begun reading slightly more of a variety of books other than the Bible in the past few years. 

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yup, could have just hit the wrong key, but seeing that she also said ad living, I'm guessing that's not the case.

If SM is her job, proofreading should be a part of that. (And not “apart” of it, as they like to say!)

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Once she got the dog I thought, "she's done having kids." Often women who are done having kids get a dog. It's like the next step in the suburban housewife life -- kids, then dog, then volunteering at the kids' schools.

Next up wine mom functional alcoholism, PTA president, MLM boss babe, menopause, retirement, death. Maybe an affair or two.

58 minutes ago, awaken said:

She hasn’t had medical training that I know of. She’s had out of hospital midwifery training which is a different animal. (And I’m probably the biggest midwifery supporter on these boards 🙂)

Even a nursing aide or medical secretary or lay midwife would have to memorize a list of basic medical terms. That being said, I know her education sucked.

Something similar to this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

In my experience, when people mispronounce words they can spell correctly, it's because they have read the word but not heard it said aloud. It often means they're actually better read than the people they interact with on the daily.

But when someone can't get it right in either speech or writing like Jill, that indicates to me they're not well-read at all, and they're not interacting with people who are sufficiently well spoken themselves to say it correctly for said person to pick up on. 

I'm personally not convinced that Derick himself is particularly well-read, well-versed in grammar, or well-spoken, despite his education (and to be fair, a lot of people with advanced degrees aren't, though it boggles my mind how they survive that long in higher ed), so I'm not sure that he necessarily exercises much influence as an educating force in this regard. 

Yep, there have been so many words I’ve read but never said out loud. You can always tell when the contestants in Jeopardy have done the same! 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
Just now, Cinnabon said:

Yep, there have been so many words I’ve read but never said out loud. You can always tell when the contestants in Jeopardy have done the same! 🙂

Same! I did it in front of my graduate advisor the first time I met him. I. Was. Mortified. But he was a sweetheart about it, so I don't even remember the word I butchered, just his kind response. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I learned just how many words I mispronounced when I started listening to audiobooks.

Edited by lascuba
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14

Since Dreck’s undergrad degree is accounting, he probably took very few classes where he had to read books. And in law school he read a lot, but a very narrow topic. He and Jill probably have limited topics in their conversations (Bible verses, lotion time) where there’s no influence on Jill’s vocabulary. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm personally not convinced that Derick himself is particularly well-read, well-versed in grammar, or well-spoken, despite his education (and to be fair, a lot of people with advanced degrees aren't, though it boggles my mind how they survive that long in higher ed), so I'm not sure that he necessarily exercises much influence as an educating force in this regard. 

I always go back to the fact that he sought out JB after he finished college. Higher education on it's own doesn't reflect much about a person if they still end up doing something like that.

8 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Next up wine mom functional alcoholism, PTA president, MLM boss babe, menopause, retirement, death. Maybe an affair or two.

Oh god, can you IMAGINE how annoying Jill would be as a PTA president or something similar? That bossiness and boundless enthusiasm in someone  so uneducated and  unintelligent would have me tearing my hear out.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I think the only reason why Jill has not gone MLM Boss Babe is Derick won't give her the startup money.  She has enough friends on SM that shill different companies that at least one of them has approached her.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

I learned just how many words I mispronounced when I started listening to audiobooks.

I occasionally listen to audiobooks and have heard mispronunciations from narrators. They're people, too, and make the occasional mistake.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

I always go back to the fact that he sought out JB after he finished college. Higher education on it's own doesn't reflect much about a person if they still end up doing something like that.

Oh god, can you IMAGINE how annoying Jill would be as a PTA president or something similar? That bossiness and boundless enthusiasm in someone  so uneducated and  unintelligent would have me tearing my hear out.

I always remember that about Derick, too.  It told us who he was/is.

I would find Jill unbearable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Suzn said:

I always remember that about Derick, too.  It told us who he was/is.

I would find Jill unbearable.

I find people who toot their own horns unbearable, anyway, and that's very common in something like a PTA president. 

Even on social media or forums, I find people who self-aggrandize to be insufferable, insecure, and generally full of shit. I have met very few self-aggrandizing people in real life who I thought weren't lying liars who lie. Much like Jim Bob and some of his spawn. 

• Love 11
On 8/26/2021 at 3:37 PM, cmr2014 said:

Edit: I haven’t a clue what happened to the quote box 🧐 There was words there when I saved it. 

Having a barn full of kids wasn’t even her parents thing, Mechelle admitted she had to “pray for a heart for children”, JB admitted the kids “made him angry”, these two shouldn’t have had any kids either that or just had Josh and left it at that.

Edited by FizzyPuff
  • Love 6

I like the swim skirt mainly because it isn't cut up the sides and middle; which goes against basic female anatomy...but the shirt looks like it's a regular t-shirt; not a bathing suit top. It does look good on her, but for shopping in the summer or something like that.

• Love 3
On 8/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, FizzyPuff said:

Edit: I haven’t a clue what happened to the quote box 🧐 There was words there when I saved it. 

Having a barn full of kids wasn’t even her parents thing, Mechelle admitted she had to “pray for a heart for children”, JB admitted the kids “made him angry”, these two shouldn’t have had any kids either that or just had Josh and left it at that.

Maybe just a a couple of kids or Josh, Jana and JD. Pumping out babies when you aren't that crazy for kids was stupid and cruel to your children. 

On 8/28/2021 at 7:53 PM, BitterApple said:

I like Jill's swim outfit.

I like it too. 

• Love 4

I just rewatched Catch Me If You Can. Frank Abagnale passed the exam after 8 weeks of study (in 1967, with a forged Harvard transcript, and no education). He passed on his 3rd try.

I hope Derrick eventually passees, but I hope this sign from the Lort teaches him a little humility as well. So that's minimal income for Jill's family until at least February, when he can retake it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I hope he tries again and I hope he passes. With the unemployed slug Duggar sons (oh wait they do real estate and used car dealing), Ben and Jeremy who "preach", he can be the only gainfully employed guy associated with the Duggars. Oops, forgot Austin, it seems he does work. 

• Love 18

My son's best friend had to take the NY State Bar Exam twice.  It's not unusual to fail the first time.  I hope Derick has better luck next time.  Maybe they should not talk about it until he passes.  In the meantime, don't some law firms hire law school graduates as clerks while they study for the test?

• Useful 4
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

In the meantime, don't some law firms hire law school graduates as clerks while they study for the test?

Yeah I was actually wondering how that worked for those who didn't pass.

I have a few friends who have failed various state exams (not the bar) the first time around, but they usually still had career opportunities available to them while they studied for their second go-around. But I'm not really sure what a lawyer could do without passing that. I can see law firms making an allowance for you before the test for the first round, but will they extend that to you while you study for it for the second time? 

• Love 3

Where my daughter works it was pass the first time or be gone.  Very small law practices may sometimes be more lenient and go for two rounds.  One thing Derick could do along with studying is document review.  That's one he can even do remotely.  He doesn't need to tie up a lot of time working the next four and a half months though.  Depending on how well or how poorly he did, he may need to spend most of that time on bar prep.  

When my daughter was doing bar prep, the firm that had hired her gave her a stipend for living expenses through the end of July plus I was helping support her.  I had groceries and food delivered and her life was mostly studying with an hour a day at the gym.  She got headaches from it all if she didn't take the yoga/strength class.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 12
  • Love 2