Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

When can Sam go to school, at what age? (not from US, don't know your rules)

Hopefully he will be able to go too, not just Izzy

Kids usually start kindergarten at five; sometimes they start at four, almost five if their birthday falls at the beginning of the school year, which is typically August or early September. It depends on the school district when the cutoff is; I've heard of some whose cutoff date is as late as November. 

My brother started at six and a half, because my "dad" is a fool and refused to acknowledge that the kid had profound behavioral problems and needed medication. My brother was already a big, tall kid, and the result was that he towered over the other kids. Imagine if Israel were in preschool right now -- that's what my brother looked like compared to the other kids in his class. But dog forbid my dad acknowledge that his precious golden child wasn't perfect. Nooo -- he was just "misunderstood." 

4 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

When can Sam go to school, at what age? (not from US, don't know your rules)

In Arkansas it’s 5, on or before August 1st.

Sam was born July 8th, 2017.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Does Arkansas have a pre-k program in their elementary schools that Sam can attend (if he qualifies)?

Arkansas definitely has free pre-K for kids from low income families which he could attend if they qualify.  Otherwise, there are undoubtedly a lot of preschool programs affiliated with churches, private schools, daycare centers and otherwise that he could attend for what is usually a very reasonable fee.

With Jill being at home with him and participating in library programs geared to preschoolers, I don't think Sam really needs anything else at this point.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 14

Mark my words, Jill will have baby #3 in the next year or so.  My friend lamented to me about how her youngest was starting kindergarten and what would she do with her days.  One year later, gave birth to her daughter...so I wouldn't be surprised if Jill has an announcement within the year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Mark my words, Jill will have baby #3 in the next year or so.  My friend lamented to me about how her youngest was starting kindergarten and what would she do with her days.  One year later, gave birth to her daughter...so I wouldn't be surprised if Jill has an announcement within the year.

I agree. Jill will try for a kid the minute Derick says she can.

13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

In Arkansas it’s 5, on or before August 1st.

Sam was born July 8th, 2017.

So if your birthday is August 2 in Arkansas, you graduate high school when you're almost 19? That seems so odd to me. My birthday is May 3, so I was always the youngest or close to youngest in my class. I graduated a few weeks after I turned 18. 

Topic: I really think Jill is done having kids. Remember those rumors about Sam's traumatic birth. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Heathen said:

So if your birthday is August 2 in Arkansas, you graduate high school when you're almost 19? That seems so odd to me. My birthday is May 3, so I was always the youngest or close to youngest in my class. I graduated a few weeks after I turned 18. 

Topic: I really think Jill is done having kids. Remember those rumors about Sam's traumatic birth. 

They both said they want more kids.

2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

They might want more, but that doesn't mean they can or will have more. 

I hope they stick to two. Give their kids a chance at a normal life. 

• Love 12

Regarding school start dates:  in the Long Island suburban districts, you must be 5 by December 1st to enter kindergarten in September.  A few districts—Plainview-Old Bethpage comes to mind the cut off date is December 31.  In the NYC schools, where I taught for 27 years, the cutoff date is December 31 also.  So that means that I had kinders that were 4 years and 8 months old when they started school.

In Kansas City MO, where my nephews lived, the cutoff date was June 30th, while in Fairfax County VA, where most of my nieces and nephews lived, the dates is September 1.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

Regarding school start dates:  in the Long Island suburban districts, you must be 5 by December 1st to enter kindergarten in September.  A few districts—Plainview-Old Bethpage comes to mind the cut off date is December 31.  In the NYC schools, where I taught for 27 years, the cutoff date is December 31 also.  So that means that I had kinders that were 4 years and 8 months old when they started school.

In Kansas City MO, where my nephews lived, the cutoff date was June 30th, while in Fairfax County VA, where most of my nieces and nephews lived, the dates is September 1.

Not that it really matters, but Fairfax County (and all of VA) is September 30th.  Surprisingly, as competitive as Fairfax is about academics, I don't see as many kids getting "red-shirted" here as I have in other areas of the state.  That is the term used when (mostly) boys are held back to start kindergarten if they have a summer or fall birthday so that they will be bigger and stronger for high school sports.  I have also heard parents do this so their boys will be less likely to be tested for ADHD when their behavior is more due to immaturity.

As it relates to Sam, if he really will be one of the youngest in his class I hope the library teaches him to sit still for story time or he may have a rough adjustment to the order required for a K class these days.  We know he likes to climb....

• Useful 4

Bewitched:

I apologize about the VA school start dates…

Unfortunately in NYC, at least in the school I worked in I never heard of a parent red shirting a child.  Some of my students definitely could have benefited from another year at home or a good preK .  

• Useful 1

Arkansas school start dates have changed since I was a youngin in the 90s and attended elementary school. At the time, I don't remember what the cutoff was, but with an early August birthdate, I still made the cut and was always the youngest kid in class before I was homeschooled. I guess now I'd be held back a year and be one of the oldest. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Schools in my area started changing the age of entrance into school in the 90s. It had always been age 5 by January 1st, then changed to September 1st. There were a mixture of young and old, but the kids were at least within six months or so of each other. Now some kids are turning 5 in August and others are turning 6, a month later in September.

Sammy will be one of the youngest and without preschool, he'll for sure have an adjustment period.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Did they say that, or did they say something like they were open to more kids? That's what I remember.

I think that Derick is done, and he may have said something to Jill like "maybe when I graduate law school . . ."

It's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I do hope that they're done having kids. They seem to be in a stable, happy place now, and I don't see any way adding another child would improve their situation.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

Did they say that, or did they say something like they were open to more kids? That's what I remember.

I think that Derick is done, and he may have said something to Jill like "maybe when I graduate law school . . ."

It's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I do hope that they're done having kids. They seem to be in a stable, happy place now, and I don't see any way adding another child would improve their situation.

Maybe you're right. Fatherhood does seem to be a bit hard for Derick. And the marriage thus far has really been more about Jill supporting Derick as he finds his way. But if he actually lands a job in law and sticks with it, Jill may decide its her turn to get what she wants.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

It would be nice for Sam to attend a real pre school. I think he would love going to school like his big brother, Israel. Maybe Sam needs the structure of a classroom and the friendships. He needs more friends than just his mother throughout the day.

• Love 10

I wish Jill would put Sam in a preschool a few mornings a week so that she could get a taste of freedom. She might realize she likes it, and stop at two kids. 

• Love 17

I know three kids wouldn't be an overwhelming number, but Jill seemed to really struggle during the baby/toddler years. I'm not entirely sure she could manage a school routine along with a newborn. If Derick gets a job and has to work long hours, I can see Jill reverting back to being a needy cling-on the way she was during his Walmart days.

• Love 11

The impression that I got from their statement was more that they weren't planning to have any more children, but if there was an "oops" pregnancy, they would accept the "Lord's decision" because of their anti-abortion views.

I'm also on the fence about Jill pining for more babies. On the one hand, this is what she's been raised to believe and her "heart for children" has been part of her self-identification for a long time. On the other hand, she really did struggle  when her kids were babies/toddlers, and she's been in therapy for a while and she may be coming to accept that having a barn full of kids is her parents' thing, and it doesn't have to be hers/

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
24 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I know three kids wouldn't be an overwhelming number, but Jill seemed to really struggle during the baby/toddler years. I'm not entirely sure she could manage a school routine along with a newborn. If Derick gets a job and has to work long hours, I can see Jill reverting back to being a needy cling-on the way she was during his Walmart days.

I hope she is an honorable Klingon woman. Now that she is in therapy and sexually liberated, I hope the cleavage window makes an appearance on their Instagram, too.

F98DC2FD-98B8-4FFD-A98D-D78CDF7DA476.jpeg

• LOL 16

Would it be "acceptable" in her world to get a job as a pre-K assistant in a school or another job that involves working with little kids once both kids attend full-time? It's almost always a field filled with women, so she wouldn't be taking away a man's job; it's childcare which is what she grew up doing; it would give her something to do; she wouldn't need a formal college education; and it could help if she feels she wants more kids but isn't able to do so. 

• Love 5
On 8/24/2021 at 11:36 AM, GeeGolly said:

Jill is "ad living" a recipe. Maybe Jessa can respond with a "wahla". 

In all fairness, I see educated people making that mistake. If someone speaks with a mush mouth (like most of my relatives in the South), it sounds like "ad live." I'm not going to fault Jill for that one. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Would it be "acceptable" in her world to get a job as a pre-K assistant in a school or another job that involves working with little kids once both kids attend full-time?

In Jill's current world of SBC it's absolutely allowed as long as Derick goes along with it.  Jill has skipped out on quite a bit of Gothardism.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, Heathen said:

In all fairness, I see educated people making that mistake. If someone speaks with a mush mouth (like most of my relatives in the South), it sounds like "ad live." I'm not going to fault Jill for that one. 

She not only said it, she also typed it out in the caption.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Would it be "acceptable" in her world to get a job as a pre-K assistant in a school or another job that involves working with little kids once both kids attend full-time? It's almost always a field filled with women, so she wouldn't be taking away a man's job; it's childcare which is what she grew up doing; it would give her something to do; she wouldn't need a formal college education; and it could help if she feels she wants more kids but isn't able to do so. 

I don't know about Arkansas, but when I worked as a substitute teacher in Kansas, subs and paras (a teacher's assistant) needed an associate's degree.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I'm not fond of the Dillards' parenting style, but I'm not sure raising kids was their primary issues with stress. I'm thinking year one with Izzy was difficult for Jill because she was in Danger America. And the first 2+ years of Sammy's life Derick was feuding with JB.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

She not only said it, she also typed it out in the caption.

If she hasn't seen it in print, and only heard it, she likely thinks her version is correct. I doubt any Duggar, even Jill, is reading material that uses the phrase "ad lib." 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Heathen said:

If she hasn't seen it in print, and only heard it, she likely thinks her version is correct. I doubt any Duggar, even Jill, is reading material that uses the phrase "ad lib." 

Sounds like a “deep seeded” problem, pacifically. 🙂

• LOL 22
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

It’s a common medical term. Something Jill would’ve had to memorize for her medical training. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, marypat57 said:

Bewitched:

I apologize about the VA school start dates…

Unfortunately in NYC, at least in the school I worked in I never heard of a parent red shirting a child.  Some of my students definitely could have benefited from another year at home or a good preK .  

It's not unusual around here in the Midwest, especially for boys who tend to mature a bit later than girls and for whom being the smallest kid in the class can make them a target for bullies.  In the end, they do just fine, but, for some kids, that extra year makes a big difference when it comes to academic success and socialization.  If Sam needs an extra year to be ready for kindergarten, then I hope he gets it.

I don't think Jill is qualified, by education or temperament, to be a teacher's aide.  If she wants to do something, then volunteering as a playground mom or to set up bake sales is a better bet for her.  My sister did the playground mom thing when her kids were in grade school and actually got paid for it.  Not much, but a little bit of pocket money for a couple hours work a day when the kids were in school.  Around here, they  also hire people, mostly retirees, to be crossing guards and bus monitors for the school system.  Jill might be ok doing that kind of thing, too, but I really feel like she could be easily overwhelmed dealing with a group of rambunctious kids.

I also think that Jill and Derick, while they might claim to be open to more kids, are getting pretty comfortable with their current situation and I could see them putting on the brakes to the baby train.  I knew someone who had two boys who always thought she'd have a third kid, but, what with babies and toddlers and preschool and such; kept putting it off.  When her youngest was in kindergarten, I asked her about it and she said, 'I think that window has closed.  It's just too nice to not have to watch them every minute and, between cub scouts, T ball, swimming and music lessons; I just don't see hauling a baby around with me all day'.  I could see that happening to Jill, too, especially as Derick starts practicing law and is gone for long hours every day.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think Jill could work at the library doing some clerical work. She seems to love the library anyway. 

My first instinct is to say that Jill is not qualified and has too narrow of a worldview to work in a public library, but then I remember some of my colleagues (and underlings) and she would fit right in.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

It seems to me Derick and Jill tried to put the, Jill needs a job, stories to rest. They said her job is managing their SM.

Also, in the 6 or 7 years Jill has been posting, I think she posted about the library maybe four times. If we're going to assign Jill a job by her interests on SM, maybe she should work at a coffee shop, restaurant or consignment shop.

But anyway Jill has Sammy at home for at least another year, so I don't think things will change much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, JoanArc said:

It’s a common medical term. Something Jill would’ve had to memorize for her medical training. 

"Medical" training. FIFY. 

If Jill's had any real medical training that may or may not involve a term like "ad lib," I'm Lawson Bates. And I don't spend enough time in front of mirrors to be Lawson. 

• LOL 17
11 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

"V" and "B" are right next to each other on the keyboard. 

Yup, could have just hit the wrong key, but seeing that she also said ad living, I'm guessing that's not the case.

Funny, JillR spells something wrong and she's an idiot. Jill Dillard says and spells something wrong and somehow its a mistake. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Yup, could have just hit the wrong key, but seeing that she also said ad living, I'm guessing that's not the case.

Funny, JillR spells something wrong and she's an idiot. Jill Dillard says and spells something wrong and somehow its a mistake. 

I'm voting Jill D is an idiot.  I find that mistake a dumb one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Boom.

It'd amazing, the passes she gets.

• Love 3