Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

But I bet she was all about our “freedoms!” 😆

it is always "their freedom", not anyone else's. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The first Boxcar Children book has an AR score of 3.9.  Pretty advanced for Izzy.  

since Jill mentioned she was reading the bobbsey twins aloud to the boys I figured she was reading the box car children aloud to them as well.

what i wondered was who would fill in the gaps of knowledge on things mentioned. I remember reading them to my kids at about Izzy and Sam's ages and we had to stop and talk about what was a hobo or freight car, etc. I can't see Jill knowing a lot of the references to give the boys context for the stories.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

since Jill mentioned she was reading the bobbsey twins aloud to the boys I figured she was reading the box car chidren allowed to them as well.

what i wondered was who would fill in the gaps of knowledge on things mentioned. I remember reading them to my kids at about Izzy and Sam's ages and we had to stop and talk about what was a hobo or freight car, etc. I can't see Jill knowing a lot of the references to give the boys context for the stories.

She can google the answers her phone is always in her hand. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

since Jill mentioned she was reading the bobbsey twins aloud to the boys I figured she was reading the box car children aloud to them as well.

Jill grew up watching stuff like The Andy Griffin Show and other "wholesome," "family-friendly" entertainment from the Golden Age of television.  She may have the necessary touchstones to explain them to the boys.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
13 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

true, but would she bother with that?

I don't think she would. In a couple different videos Jill repeatedly ignored questions asked by Iz. She seems to be a tad inflexible to veer from the task at hand. I can see her reading and ignoring all questions, even ones she knows the answers to. 

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 5

IIRC Joy was shown on an episode of 19 Meal Tickets reading a Boxcar Children book. She was well into middle school and people commented on how low her reading level appeared.

I remember Jill taking the boys for a walk. Israel asked her why they could see the moon of it was daytime. He asked twice, Jill ignored him and kept narrating her walk. Maybe she didn’t know the answer. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Jill can always fall back on, "ask papa when he gets home."  The headship should know all, right?  

Seriously, she should help her sons find answers to their questions, as much as possible, as she would be helping herself with knowledge, too.  

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Zella said:

If Izzy is a curious enough child, he might try to find the answers on his own. 

When I was about his age, I would sit at the kitchen counter and demand that my parents define words for me like some tiny literati tyrant. They didn't always answer my questions--and in their defense, I was quite the overbearing little interrogator even then--so dictionaries and encyclopedias became my friend. I also learned a lot of terribly age-inappropriate things that way. LOL

I loved encyclopedias!

• Love 13

I’ve also had SGirl look up information, we then discussed what she thinks it means. It has made her school work a breezy because she was quite the researcher since she was in elementary school. 

• Love 14

Haven't read the last few pgs of comments but saw the pics yesterday of Jill's kids in the library with a stack of books and her comment that even the younger one got his own library card bc he can sign his name now. Her new life must be MIND BLOWING to her. The kids had a usual stack of books - something about Curious George at Thanksgiving etc. - not fundie religious booklets. So here she is reading with them or hearing them read all the stuff that was never allowed in her home bc them books would just teach you to hate God just like them public schools. How sad that she's reading some of these kid books at age 30+ but then again she's ONLY 30-ish and learning that lots of things in the world like books and school are not only harmless but also beneficial and have NOTHING in them that'll take away your faith in God. That's an opportunity most fundie women never get.

If I was her - at her age having never read any kid materials - I'd be checking out the complete Babysitters Club series for ME (I mean she has boys so I doubt she'll read it to them). But oh such much to learn from fashionable stacy from NYC and Japanese American Claudia and Kristy the boss girl etc.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Zella said:

If Izzy is a curious enough child, he might try to find the answers on his own. 

When I was about his age, I would sit at the kitchen counter and demand that my parents define words for me like some tiny literati tyrant. They didn't always answer my questions--and in their defense, I was quite the overbearing little interrogator even then--so dictionaries and encyclopedias became my friend. I also learned a lot of terribly age-inappropriate things that way. LOL

We have the 5 and 7 year olds grands this week -  they have discovered the UpWords game and every time they play a weird word I have them look in the dictionary to find if it is really a word. it is a bit beyond the 5yr old but the 7yr old is all about it because he thinks he will prove me wrong.

I hope Izzy can get to that point to find his own information.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Zella said:

Maybe she just lets them pull them off the shelf. I can see the picture books like Curious George or Eric Carle being something he read at school, but Boxcar Children chapter books seems advanced for kindergarten. I was an early reader who was reading before I went to school. But I don't remember encountering Boxcar Children books in a school library until about 2nd/3rd grade. This was back in the 90s. 

As a Kindergarten teacher, I read several of the Boxcar Children books to my class during story time.  I would probably get through the first four or five books in the series during the school year.  They always loved them, and would beg for "one more chapter" when it was time to stop.  They also loved the original Raggedy Ann and Andy books.  Children can get very involved with chapter books before they can read them themselves.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
(edited)
6 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

As a Kindergarten teacher, I read several of the Boxcar Children books to my class during story time.  I would probably get through the first four or five books in the series during the school year.  They always loved them, and would beg for "one more chapter" when it was time to stop.  They also loved the original Raggedy Ann and Andy books.  Children can get very involved with chapter books before they can read them themselves.

That makes sense! I was just thinking of books in the classroom library and hadn't considered read aloud as an option. I have a better memory of the books that were read aloud to me later in elementary school by teachers, but now that I think about it, they did tend to be more advanced reading levels than the grade I was in. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, Zella said:

That makes sense! I was just thinking of books in the classroom library and hadn't considered read aloud as an option. I have a better memory of the books that were read aloud to me later in elementary school by teachers, but now that I think about it, they did tend to be more advanced reading levels than the grade I was in. 

I was an early reader too, but my third grade teacher read “Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing” to our class and I’m forever thankful to her for introducing us to Judy Blume. 

@cereality, now I want to go to the library and check out as many Babysitter’s Club books as I can. My very first BSC book was “Kristy’s Big Day” AND it came from the Always-Way-Overpriced-School Book Fair, which made it extra special…and why I still have it!

On topic: reading is one of the most amazing things in the world and I’m thrilled for Israel and Sam.

PS: This English teacher really loves to hear about kids reading and also looking up information on their own. They’re developing skills that will serve them for a lifetime, and not just in the classroom. I appreciate you all.

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 21
4 hours ago, SMama said:

IIRC Joy was shown on an episode of 19 Meal Tickets reading a Boxcar Children book. She was well into middle school and people commented on how low her reading level appeared.

I remember Jill taking the boys for a walk. Israel asked her why they could see the moon of it was daytime. He asked twice, Jill ignored him and kept narrating her walk. Maybe she didn’t know the answer. 

In all fairness, I've been known to reread childhood favorites even now. I recently ordered two Jim Kjelgaard books I remembered reading as a kid, that I couldn't get through the library system now. They were good. (Stormy and Lion Hound, in case anybody wonders.) 

Leaving off the fact that the shows are 1. Heavily scripted; 2. Heavily edited; 3. Total bullshit as far as "reality" TV is concerned. 

• Love 7

Taking them to the library is great. Reading broadens the mind (well, mostly) so Jill taking her boys there is a huge deal. Jessa can't be bothered to brush their hair, or do stuff with them, does she?

Reading children's books as adult is fantastic, cough. I'd love to re-read some stuff I read as a child and I do grab my childhood books once in a while that I still own.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Back when I was teaching kindergarten, my classes always enjoyed the Magic Treehouse series.  Each book was 10 chapters long, and I would read a chapter a day after our “morning message”.  I remember one particularly bright little boy who said one day that he knew the next book would start on Tuesday.  He was able to explain that since today was Thursday, and we had just read chapter 8, that meant we would read chapter 9 on Friday, chapter 10 on Monday, and be ready for chapter 1 on Tuesday.  
I liked that series because it introduced some non fiction into the story, and even had separate non fiction books to give more no about some of the topics. 

• Love 14
16 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I love that you did this. My 5th and 6th grade teacher (yes, the same wonderful lady as I want to a small private school for grades 3-6) read to us for about the last 20-25 minutes of the day. A Wrinkle in Time, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, and so many others that are still favorites today.

Even kids that eschewed reading (or pretended to) were completely caught up in those stories. 

I was a voracious reader but loved being read to. And one of my favorite places ever is my hometown library - or any library really, which brings me back to the topic and how I'm so happy for Jill and her kiddos that they are getting to experience going to the library and picking out books (I used to bring giant stacks home every Wednesday evening). Books expanded this small-town girl's horizons and I hope they do the same for Izzy and Sam. And Jill. 

• Love 21
8 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I love that you did this. My 5th and 6th grade teacher (yes, the same wonderful lady as I want to a small private school for grades 3-6) read to us for about the last 20-25 minutes of the day. A Wrinkle in Time, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, and so many others that are still favorites today.

Even kids that eschewed reading (or pretended to) were completely caught up in those stories. 

I was a voracious reader but loved being read to. And one of my favorite places ever is my hometown library - or any library really, which brings me back to the topic and how I'm so happy for Jill and her kiddos that they are getting to experience going to the library and picking out books (I used to bring giant stacks home every Wednesday evening). Books expanded this small-town girl's horizons and I hope they do the same for Izzy and Sam. And Jill. 

My fifth grade teacher read the book "Marathon Man" by William Goldman. I don't remember too much but I do remember the part where the dentist is torturing the one guy by doing things to his teeth. My teacher had an odd sense of what was appropriate for kids back then. 

• LOL 12
(edited)
22 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Y’all - I have been mostly absent because of Sweet Son - I do see the Josh headlines. Sometimes I comment. Anyway last night I had a dream that Jill and Derick were working on turning their master bedroom into an Air BnB - and who were the lucky first guests. Me and Mr lookeyloo. In the dream Jill was showing how they put an air mattress in the living room because they liked that better. We were trying to sleep in the bedroom but Jill was so anxious to know if we were comfortable that she kept chattering. I kept thinking why doesn’t she leave us alone. At one point in the dream I was alone with her and she told us what nice people we were. I said I have to tell you that I am Jewish and my son who died was Jewish And Gay. She said oh okay. I was surprised (in the dream) that she didn’t run screaming from the room. Later in the dream She said is it okay to tell Derick about your awful situation?  I said of course - you mean that I am Jewish and had a gay son?  And she said “no silly, that your son died”.  Didn’t see Derick in the dream. The boys were coloring pictures for us  I don’t know if this is a small talk topic or what. I can’t imagine any of that happening at all. What does it mean?  And Mods please move to small talk if that is correct place. 

I think a lot of us on this forum have dreamed about the Duggars at some time. I know I have!

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 13
On 6/29/2021 at 6:54 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I remember my teacher reading aloud one of the Little House books (I was so obsessed I would read the books while the show had a commercial).  It was probably the first time I realized people have vastly different opinions. This occurred when I broke into solo applause when Mary slapped Laura. The entire room looked shocked. Lol. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, AryasMum said:

I remember my teacher reading aloud one of the Little House books (I was so obsessed I would read the books while the show had a commercial).  It was probably the first time I realized people have vastly different opinions. This occurred when I broke into solo applause when Mary slapped Laura. The entire room looked shocked. Lol. 

Still laughing that Jer had to graduate college and go to Finland to find this out!

• LOL 8
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Anyone else find it odd that Jill posted that passage? I mean she can't be that clueless. Is she encouraging speculation on purpose?

What are you speculating?

My kinders loved Little House books, too.  I invested in their picture book series for young readers.  The illustrations are quite lovely, and the stories were true to the original.  
Some of my students would look at the titles listed on the back cover and reminded me of the ones we did not have in our library.

The children also enjoyed what they called “playing Laura” in our housekeeping center.  I had to remind them that they couldn’t use any of the things that Laura did not have in her house, so it was challenging for them, but the enjoyed it.

I had a dear little boy one year who loved the Little House series.  A number of years later, I had his son in my class.  The son enjoyed looking at the books his dad had enjoyed so much.

Jill’s sons would like the stories, too.  They would enjoy learning about life on the prairie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'll bet Deertick won't allow his sons to read what he probably considers to be "girl's books".  I am sure they were allowed in the Duggar sphere are Michelle was shown reading it to the girls after they moved into the TTH

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

What are you speculating?

More curious than anything. Is she sending a message to Josh that God won't give up on him? Did she post a passage with her indicted brother's name to increase clicks or encourage a magazine to pick it up? I mean she posted about donuts a few weeks ago and a tabloid tried to make it about Josh, so that isn't a reach. Is she signaling that she is praying for Josh?

I just find it very curious, that of all the verses in a Bible, that is the one Jill chose to post at this time.

• Useful 1
41 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'll bet Deertick won't allow his sons to read what he probably considers to be "girl's books".  I am sure they were allowed in the Duggar sphere are Michelle was shown reading it to the girls after they moved into the TTH

There are some titles such as Farmer Boy (in the original set) and Farmer Boy Birthday and County Fair (In the my first little house series) that are mainly about Almanzo Wilder that would probably be acceptable for Isaac and Sam.

• Love 4
On 6/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, SMama said:

I’ve also had SGirl look up information, we then discuss what she thinks it means. It has made her school work a breeze because she was quite the researcher since she was in elementary school. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 6:15 AM, BigBingerBro said:

I

Seeing a Duggar smile genuinely and broadly while wearing a mask makes me so happy. Smiles that reach the eyes -- so not an ordinary Duggar thing. 

This is what books and libraries can do, world's greatest parents JB and M. Unfortunately I expect they'd never believe this even if the correct Jesus showed up and told them so. They'd call him a satanic imposter who was trying to lead their godly family astray, I suppose. You have robbed your children in so many ways, Duggars. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 22
(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 4:01 PM, SMama said:

Somebody needs to tell her the correct answer is -- "I don't know. When we get home, let's see if we can find out." Wish she knew someone who'd teach her better ways of responding to kids. 

ETA: Of course, finding the best way to respond to kids isn't always easy. For some reason, my 5th grade teacher had me read out loud to the class in the late afternoons instead of doing it herself. And for some other unknown reason, one book she chose was an Ernie Pyle book of WWII stories.

I knew how to read, but I didn't know that when you read out loud to the 5th grade you were supposed to skip all the bad words, of which Ernie used quite a few. Nor did I know how to skip a bad word when you read out loud. She settled for having me stand next to her so she could point out the words to skip before I got to them. ..... I'd say that very experienced teacher had a few quite questionable procedures going on there. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9