Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

If she stopped putting her kids out there, I wouldn’t mind it. That’s the only part that’s absolutely not ok to me. Unless she restricted those posts to close friends and family.

43 minutes ago, Zella said:

Bingo! This isn't a somewhat carefully cultivated group of family and friends you trust seeing this. It's literally anybody with an internet connection. That's not only emotionally unhealthy and exploitative but it's also unsafe. 

Personally, it took me a while to fully embrace how careless all the Duggars are on SM with their kids. In addition to thinking about the sheer number of followers, the fact that many of them are (harmless) haters, guessing that more than a handful of followers are dangerously whacked, a few other things nudged me along.

The story about the Influencer who "rehomed" an adopted kid, a kid I believe would never had been adopted in the first place if this woman wasn't so wrapped up into her non-reality based SM life.

The fact that many of my children's friends are now limiting the pics they post of their kids, or are now only sharing pics through emails and old fashioned newsletters.

And finally, the way the Bates sisters start all their posts with pics or videos of their kids, then move into selling a product, then close it out with the kids. If that isn't a straight up example of exploitation, I don't know what is.

As for Jill... getting "likes" on SM is one of the most unhealthy ways to bolster self-esteem, even more so when some of these "likes" are actually 'hates' toward her parents. These are folks who don't know Jill and many who don't even like her. She'd fare much better to find a tight circle of real life friends - not including Amy.

As for Derick... IMO, he is a complete asshole and will throw anyone under the bus to get his own way and not look like a bad guy in the end. Including his wife and kids.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 16
(edited)
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Personally, it took me a while to fully embrace how careless all the Duggars are on SM with their kids. In addition to thinking about the sheer number of followers, the fact that many of them are (harmless) haters, guessing that more than a handful of followers are dangerously whacked, a few other things nudged me along.

Yeah unfortunately Jill has given any crazy who wanted it a lot of clues on how to either break into her house or even, God forbid, kidnap her kid. If you follow her social media, you know his name and nicknames, his interests, and where he goes to school, and you may even be able to piece together a bit of the family's schedule and routine based on post timing. That's powerful information in the wrong hands. 

And it's not exclusive to Jill! The whole famn damily has done it. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah unfortunately Jill has given any crazy who wanted it a lot of clues on how to either break into her house or even, God forbid, kidnap her kid. If you follow her social media, you know his name and nicknames, his interests, and where he goes to school, and you may even be able to piece together a bit of the family's schedule and routine based on post timing. That's powerful information in the wrong hands. 

Yup, you basically listed all the things I discussed with my children when they were pre-teens during the early stages of the internet. That and not to believe that everyone is who they say they are.

• Love 9
On 6/17/2021 at 9:46 AM, Gemma Violet said:

Bobbsey Twins books are such normal books that so many kids have grown up with.  Good for Jill.  Another sign the kids are having a normal childhood.  

GREAT for Jill!  The Bobbsey Twins books were my favorite when i was young (my mother was a big proponet of all us kids reading and we are all voracious readers to this day!

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, Zella said:

A few years ago there was a site that could basically compile all your social media information and predict the best time and place to rob you. I mean rob your house, when you’re not home. Remember when foursquare was a thing? 

• Useful 3
46 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok my IG is public. Anyone with an internet connection can see it. I don't post anything inappropriate. 

But I don't feel like people should be shamed about their own children because some people are sickos like Jill's brother. 

Jill's kids are not sexualized in any way. There's nothing sexually provocative about kids riding their bike or helping Jill garden.

I feel like this idea that children have to be hidden because there are sickos to be the same mindset that believes women's faces have to be covered up because males are lustful. If you're not doing anything wrong, don't be ashamed of your life.

I don't think that's why pictures of kids should be limited or not be put on SM. For some parents who limit it, they want to let their kids decide (when their old enough) if they want their pictures posted. And then there's safety - safety in terms of strangers knowing so much, they can not only know where a child goes to school, but what sports teams they're on and possibly where they live. So if one of these strangers (maybe a perv) were to approach a child, a child could think they're safe because the stranger is familiar with the kid's life.

And then there's the exploitation factor - using your kids for clicks and money.

And then there are the sickos who grab perfectly innocent pics of young children at bath time, at the beach, etc and use them for disgustingly gross, inappropriate, illegal, pleasure.

And for regular Joes with followers in the hundreds, rather than millions, the risks are obviously smaller.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok my IG is public. Anyone with an internet connection can see it. I don't post anything inappropriate. 

But I don't feel like people should be shamed about their own children because some people are sickos like Jill's brother. 

Jill's kids are not sexualized in any way. There's nothing sexually provocative about kids riding their bike or helping Jill garden.

I feel like this idea that children have to be hidden because there are sickos to be the same mindset that believes women's faces have to be covered up because males are lustful. If you're not doing anything wrong, don't be ashamed of your life.

I’ll say it one more time, and be done with it. The difference between “most” people out there and the Duggars, Bates, etc is that most people are NOT sharing pictures of their kids, homes, schedules, etc with literally millions of complete strangers. They share with their close friends and family. This is a HUGE difference.

• Love 14

In a general sense, I don't really have a problem with celebrities posting pics of their kids. I don't think I would for various reasons, but I believe that people can't live their lives based on the sickos of the world. Take precautions, yes, but limiting everything you do because of what some asshole might think about an innocent picture of your child isn't entirely reasonable.

That said, the Duggar, Bates, and influencers in general aren't just posting cute pictures of their kids. They're actively using their kids to make money. There is no way of getting around that. It is no different than JB and Michelle making performing monkeys out of their children. If any part of your income relies on the public having some kind of access to your kids, you are exploiting them. It doesn't mean you love your kids any less, but you're still fucking up. And while you can't live life in constant fear of sickos, Jill once had a fan show up at her door to see if she was in labor with Israel. If that, in addition to having random strangers show up at the TTH when she lived there, isn't enough to make her cautious, that just proves that she really isn't less fanatical and famewhoreish than her parents.

I don't following any of the Duggars on social media beyond what gets posted here, but I expect that Jinger and Jeremy are losing follower engagement now that they've stopped posting pictures of their kids. Loss of engagement means eventual loss of followers, which means less money. Once they realize that they aren't enough to make influencing profitable, they're probably going to start posting pictures of the girls again.

• Love 15

I thought fried green tomatoes were for the end of the season, because you fry the green tomatoes that won’t have a chance to ripen before the first frost ruins them. Maybe they prefer friend green tomatoes to ripened tomatoes, that’s their prerogative, just seems unusual to me. Is it normal to eat green tomatoes all season and I’m the odd one?

Jill’s Bible study… it makes me a bit uncomfortable for her to paint God as essentially “sky Daddy,” but I can see how that’s comforting and moving/powerful in a way… Not to psychoanalyze a stranger but I guess what makes me feel a bit uncomfortable about it (among other things) is that it makes me feel like she’s trying to fill a void where her relationship with her actual parents used to be with a “relationship” with God 🤷🏻‍♀️ Everybody experiences spirituality in a different way I guess. And to be fair, Jill’s life has always revolved completely around family, so I guess it should be no surprise that that’s what she would draw on in her understanding of God/the universe/and everything, too.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, rue721 said:

I thought fried green tomatoes were for the end of the season, because you fry the green tomatoes that won’t have a chance to ripen before the first frost ruins them. Maybe they prefer friend green tomatoes to ripened tomatoes, that’s their prerogative, just seems unusual to me. Is it normal to eat green tomatoes all season and I’m the odd one?

Jill’s Bible study… it makes me a bit uncomfortable for her to paint God as essentially “sky Daddy,” but I can see how that’s comforting and moving/powerful in a way… Not to psychoanalyze a stranger but I guess what makes me feel a bit uncomfortable about it (among other things) is that it makes me feel like she’s trying to fill a void where her relationship with her actual parents used to be with a “relationship” with God 🤷🏻‍♀️ Everybody experiences spirituality in a different way I guess. And to be fair, Jill’s life has always revolved completely around family, so I guess it should be no surprise that that’s what she would draw on in her understanding of God/the universe/and everything, too.

Funny, that’s exactly what I say when I snark on sanctimonious “Christians” on social media. I let them know we don’t all believe in an “imaginary sky daddy.” 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
(edited)

I see Jill's Bible post as typical Fundy thinking. Have too many kids, pray and God will bring you a laundry woman. Want a husband, pray and God will bring you one, but only in his timing. Jill seems to be comparing it to feelings she has had as a mom, not feelings her father must of had or feelings that Derick has had, or feelings that her dad always showed up in times of need. I think her post is how she now understands the passage, now that she's a mom.

Major life events certainly inform who we are, but it doesn't mean every action or inaction relates to these events. The Duggars may be unique in that they were raised in a cult, but they're not unique in experiencing hardships, traumas and/or negative life events. Figuring folks out is so much more than Freud's theories, folks are very complex and seeing them only as broken does more harm than good. 

And isn't religious faith basically believing some entity is out their watching over you?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5

Fried green tomatoes can be eaten whenever one has a green tomato and wants to. At least in every place in the south I’ve lived. I don’t think there is a rule regarding that, like no white shoes before Easter (or Memorial Day depending on location) 

• Love 23
(edited)
6 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Fried green tomatoes can be eaten whenever one has a green tomato and wants to. At least in every place in the south I’ve lived. I don’t think there is a rule regarding that, like no white shoes before Easter (or Memorial Day depending on location) 

I would imagine that when you have green tomatoes on the vine, and can't wait to start eating them (and, even more to the point, that the kids are probably so impatient for them to be ripe), fried green tomatoes make for a good stop-gap.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

All dog pix end up being all about the dog because dogs have this way of grabbing attention. 

Fenna has a very happy, contented look about her; I think she is living her best life right now.  I'm glad for all of them.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Why are we suddenly seeing those small strips of pictures? They are so annoyingly small to see.

You can click on them. Click twice and they become full size.

• Useful 9
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Does Jill actually have a candle on a hanging shelf? A shelf hung with rope?

A candle on a swinging shelf surrounded by flammable birds' nest fixings.  I hope the batteries are new in the smoke detectors

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I hope that Derick is really studying for the bar exam. My moms friends daughter not to brag but she was 1st in her class says that it a full time job plus overtime studying for the bar. She also said that Jill was an annoyance during the first year of law school. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

I;m glad Fenna is such a nice dog because many people have a prejudice against GSD's and Belgian mals. They think of them as fearsome police dogs. Most of them are actually great family pets because they're loyal and smart.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Does Jill actually have a candle on a hanging shelf? A shelf hung with rope?

It looks like one of those battery-operated flicker flame candles.

The boys have a Melissa and Doug clean-up set (broom, mop, dustpan, etc).....seen behind Sam in the dog pic. Nice to see...in Jessa's house, this would most likely be for Ivy only.

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Not for 50 bucks...

Seriously.

And if she wants the clientele that's willing to pay $50 for a mug, she shouldn't be relying on her fundie friends to advertise.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

And when she gets home, she and Derick can re-enact the pottery scene from "Ghost"!

0.jpg

LOL, they can add this to the list of fun bedroom games they play!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1