Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'm really impressed that he stuck with law school and graduated. Next step is to take the bar exam. Hopefully he does well. 

Jill looks fantastic in that dress. She looks happy and proud of Derelict. Congratulations to them both. Him being in school wasn't easy for her either. 

• Love 20
7 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I wonder if any of the Duggars will acknowledge this huge achievement via SM.  I know they are all probably still reeling from this week's revelations (no snark), but this is a really big deal.  It'll be telling either way.

Speaking of, do we know if there were any Duggar birthdays this week that would have been mentioned online, if not for Josh's unholy activities?

Well, considering that nobody including Jessa, said anything when Bin -- Meeechelle's in-law crush and husband of the most kool aid drinking daughter -- got his pastoring degree from Moody, we probably shouldn't hold our breaths for any congrats or happy talk regarding a stinking law degree awarded to the least favorite in-law (and I don't know that they even like any of them) who's married to the least favorite child. 😁

• Love 21
(edited)
4 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

He may have found that he didn't really liked working in accounting. An actual job is different than school. School is new things all the time. Work tends to be the same thing over and over (every month in accounting.)

I think he had originally aspired to be a forensic accountant for the FBI or someone. When he was college, I think he was really really hurting over the death of his father, the policeman. And I think he wanted to live up to his father somehow, even though he himself was more the accountant type than the cop type. But I don't know that he was up to the FBI standards ... or something didn't work out, anyway. ...

So if you were imagining going through the books of mobsters and ended up doing the monthly tax work for Walmart, your reality definitely wouldn't live up to any of your expectations. 

2 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

And that says a lot about Jessa and her priorities - not just about education, but about Bin. 

Sure as hell does. I thought it was infuriating -- and also indicative of how much Jessa embraces the Duggar philosophies. I found it infuriating again while I was typing that. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 21
17 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

JB & Michelle don't mention their sons in laws degrees because they don't give a shit about education. It would also be hypocrital of them to give congratulations when they deny their kids any higher education.

FIFY.

• Love 12

In Canada, law school graduates have to spend a year articling with a law firm (and pass the bar exams) before becoming a full-fledged lawyer. Does Derick have to do anything like that, or can he set up his shingle as a lawyer once he has passed the bar exams?

40 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Not to mention having to deal with botched jaw surgery.  

I am glad he acknowledged that recently - it was clearly a botched job. He didn't owe it to anyone to acknowledge, but it ends speculation and questions on that front at least.

• Love 13

I must have missed him acknowledging the botched surgery too.  

We were all speculating how they were able to buy a house while he was in law school- maybe he got some sort of settlement from a malpractice suit ? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

In Canada, law school graduates have to spend a year articling with a law firm (and pass the bar exams) before becoming a full-fledged lawyer. Does Derick have to do anything like that, or can he set up his shingle as a lawyer once he has passed the bar exams?

He only has to pass the bar exam. There's no additional work/study requirement to be admitted to practice.

In the US, lawyers are licensed at the state level. if he passes the Arkansas bar exam he will be admitted/licensed to practice law in Arkansas. Most states have continuing legal education requirements for lawyers. A quick look at Arkansas shows that a lawyer has to complete 12 hours of accredited CLE per year which must include at least 1 hour of ethics CLE. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

This was a response by Jill, answering  a question at the beginning of law school: (plans can change, though)

“It’s going well! He’s in full swing with exams, briefs, oral arguments, and summer job applications. He’s hoping to practice some kind of public interest law (voice for the voiceless).”

He may very well have changed his mind in the two and a half-three years since then. He may have realized that in his corner of the world, it's entirely possible to be a deeply conservative Christian and still have a "normal" day job.

I'm not sure he really knew that before, since in Duggar World, it's apparently all or nothing. All: fundie and no job; nothing: sinner with a job. 

Edited by Heathen
To clarify "all or nothing"
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Aren’t  there a few months between taking the bar, being notified if you passed, and then again until being sworn in? (Is it called that?)

I think there used to be a wait to find out if you passed (but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV), but since everything is computerized now, he may found out right away. 

• Love 1
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I think there used to be a wait to find out if you passed (but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV), but since everything is computerized now, he may found out right away. 

You don’t find out right away. It still takes at least 2 months in most states as its essays that need to be graded not just multiple choice. The swearing in differs by state. In smaller states where they basically just swear in their state U law grads from that yr that passed the bar, you can be sworn in within weeks of passing. In states like NY where huge # of grads move in yearly for new jobs, swearing in can often be 6-9 mos after learning you passed - you start working in the meantime though just with a title that denotes that you have not yet been admitted by the state.

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 11
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, cereality said:

You don’t find out right away. It still takes at least 2 months in most states as its essays that need to be graded not just multiple choice. The swearing in differs by state. In smaller states where they basically just swear in their state U law grads from that yr that passed the bar, you can be sworn in within weeks of passing. In states like NY where huge # of grads move in yearly for new jobs, swearing in can often be 6-9 mos after learning you passed - you start working in the meantime though just with a title that denotes that you have not yet been admitted by the state.

Thanks for the info. It didn't occur to me that there were (still) essays in the bar exam. I was thinking of someone I knew who took a professional exam (she's a neonatal nurse practitioner) and found out immediately that she passed, or so she said. She lies like a Duggar, so who knows for sure. 

1 minute ago, farmgal4 said:

I hope he chooses to work putting child predators/molesters behind bars.  Not only would that be an extremely worthy cause, but it would also be a big old 🖕🏻to Boob and ‘Chelle.

That would be fantastic. The work part AND the F You, In-Laws part. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Thanks for the info. It didn't occur to me that there were (still) essays in the bar exam. I was thinking of someone I knew who took a professional exam (she's a neonatal nurse practitioner) and found out immediately that she passed, or so she said. She lies like a Duggar, so who knows for sure. 

Your friend isn’t lying.  State Boards are completely computerized now, and you find out immediately if you’ve passed.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Seriously. His "voice for the voiceless" just screams anti-choice or other such cause. Meh.

Yeah, I don't think we can expect any of these people to give that stuff up. But I can really really dislike that and still give them a few props for something else when it's earned.

I mean, Marjorie Jackson's at Family Research Council, and that's despicable as far as I'm concerned.. Nevertheless, I still admire her and her family to some degree for the attitude toward women and toward education and toward work and toward the arts. That's above what others in this group do, so, good for them on that. Bad FRC.

Same for Der -- I expect he'll try to get into a law firm or a some organization that fights for stuff that I think is just wrong. So -- I hate that. But....he's better on the education question and he seems to be doing better with Jill and with his family -- and way better than somebody like JB and M. So...he still can get some points on that. 

I wish I could expect everybody to have only values that I respect, but that's never going to happen. And maybe some of them will even mellow a bit as they age, move toward the dark side a few inches! Marjorie and Derick aren't dead yet! 

• Love 22
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Nursing board exams are online where I live.  They're administered at monitored testing centers and the person taking the exam knows their result immediately.  The program even stops the exam early if the applicant has gotten a large enough percentage right that they're guaranteed to pass.

I'd expect most other states do their nursing board exams that way,  

My youngest sister went to law school and took the bar around 15 years ago, In Ohio, everyone taking the exam had to go to Columbus to take it on the designated dates in a huge auditorium.  It was a written exam with essays as others have noted and lasted a couple days.  She didn't get her results for a couple of months because of the time it took for the essays to be graded.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Nursing board exams are online where I live.  They're administered at monitored testing centers and the person taking the exam knows their result immediately.  The program even stops the exam early if the applicant has gotten a large enough percentage right that they're guaranteed to pass.

I'd expect most other states do their nursing board exams that way,  

My youngest sister went to law school and took the bar around 15 years ago, In Ohio, everyone taking the exam had to go to Columbus to take it on the designated dates in a huge auditorium.  It was a written exam with essays as others have noted and lasted a couple days.  She didn't get her results for a couple of months because of the time it took for the essays to be graded.

My comment was a reference to a specific person. She lies even when it's in her own interest to tell the truth, and even when everyone she's speaking to knows she's lying. Also, Munchausen by proxy and cat hoarder. 

ETA: I hope Jill allows herself to a few minutes of smug. Not Smug as in her cockroach of a brother. Smug as in, "Look at me, craven parents. Look at my family. You told me I was just a uterus and slave." 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 15
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

None of this is true. It’s a minimum of two days to get nclex results, and that’s if you pay.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I don't think we can expect any of these people to give that stuff up. But I can really really dislike that and still give them a few props for something else when it's earned.

I mean, Marjorie Jackson's at Family Research Council, and that's despicable as far as I'm concerned.. Nevertheless, I still admire her and her family to some degree for the attitude toward women and toward education and toward work and toward the arts. That's above what others in this group do, so, good for them on that. Bad FRC.

Same for Der -- I expect he'll try to get into a law firm or a some organization that fights for stuff that I think is just wrong. So -- I hate that. But....he's better on the education question and he seems to be doing better with Jill and with his family -- and way better than somebody like JB and M. So...he still can get some points on that. 

I wish I could expect everybody to have only values that I respect, but that's never going to happen. And maybe some of them will even mellow a bit as they age, move toward the dark side a few inches! Marjorie and Derick aren't dead yet! 

I don't expect any such thing. But I do have values and I like to think ahead, and someone with Derick's beliefs with a law degree? I mean, sure, it's a great personal accomplishment, there's no denying that. But I'm not one to think I have a relationship with these people just  because I've seen them on TV, so there's no personal feelings to balance out the negative impact he hopes to have on the world. It'll be great if he proves me wrong, but only time will tell. I won't write fanfiction in my head in the mean time.

• Love 4

Nursing tests are in no way relevant to this thread. Neither is general test taking. 

Yes, Derrick will need to take the bar exam. That does not mean all exams are now on topic. Derrick and Jill are.

The pass rate for first time takers of the AR Bar is 70-85% depending on year. Derick seems bright enough. If he does bar review I think he’ll probably pass. I am very interested to see what he chooses to do with his degree.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I don't expect any such thing. But I do have values and I like to think ahead, and someone with Derick's beliefs with a law degree? I mean, sure, it's a great personal accomplishment, there's no denying that. But I'm not one to think I have a relationship with these people just  because I've seen them on TV, so there's no personal feelings to balance out the negative impact he hopes to have on the world. It'll be great if he proves me wrong, but only time will tell. I won't write fanfiction in my head in the mean time.

Yep, I hear ya. .... and I agree with your basic point. 

I know myself, though, and I know that it's not good for me at all to be as tribal as they are, I easily lose all perspective if I look at people as too black and white and one-dimensional. 

So I try to think of them as people with a bunch of facets, some of which I might approve despite my horror of others. Otherwise I have a tendency to dehumanize people....and that's dangerous for both my judgment and my mental health, actually! 

• Love 13
56 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I know myself, though, and I know that it's not good for me at all to be as tribal as they are, I easily lose all perspective if I look at people as too black and white and one-dimensional. 

So I try to think of them as people with a bunch of facets, some of which I might approve despite my horror of others. Otherwise I have a tendency to dehumanize people....and that's dangerous for both my judgment and my mental health, actually! 

I agree. There are degrees of everything. I don't think I would like Derick as a person -- our values are very different, to put it mildly -- but I do applaud his efforts to improve himself.

I have to say that that is an important issue for me. I've known people in my life that I didn't like very much, but when I knew that they were working on themselves, I cut them a lot of slack. JB and J'chelle, for instance, seem to think that they're pretty close to perfect, and I don't think they've concerned themselves with working on themselves for many years. When I meet people who realize that they have issues and are working on them, I root for them, even if I don't necessarily agree with the direction they're going.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Tigregirl said:

I haven’t worn a dress in years, but that one is really pretty.

But the shoes...oy vey.  Jill, sit down with a fashion magazine and consider that brown strappy sandal type shoes don't go with everything.  And please note how awesome you look in clothes that fit.  I know you have your flowy, boho vibe going, but clothes can fit and still be flowy.  That dress is amazing on her.  I'm sure her parents are praying away the great Satan that infiltrated her non-modes, RED dress.  That is if they can tear themselves away from praying to baby jebus for their oldest son's soul.

• Love 17
10 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I have an overall problem with the type of person that people choose to dehumanize. And that type? It's not the Duggars and Dillards of the world. Bigots are humanized entirely too much, in my opinion, when they are the ones that systematically dehumanize large swaths of people. Not that they should get hate for absolutely everything, obviously, but it's so obvious that Derick and Jill have figured out how to use social media to get people to like them without actually showing any evidence of changing in any significant way. While I tend to disagree with a lot of slippery slope arguments, I honestly expect to start seeing lavish praise for their "missionary work" any day now, that's how much the tone over them has shifted. It's the tolerance paradox on a small scale and I hate it.

• Love 9

I hope Derrick can get a good job and they make a life that doesn't include making shit stirring YouTube videos and using the Duggar name. I hope they can achieve true financial independence. I hope Jinger and Jeremy get to that place too. It would be nice to see the kids get out from under Jim Bob's thumb AND have real jobs instead the product sponsorship on Instagram and reality show thing most of them do now. 

• Love 18

I tend to think Derick's voice for the voiceless could likely mean people who have been victims of SA or other forms of abuse ot even kids whose parents ripped them off (Honey BooBoo could probably use Derick's help, she'll never see a dime and maybe TLC or WE should pay.)

Derick has interned for the prosecutors office. He may be into holding criminals like certain in laws accountable. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, lascuba said:

I have an overall problem with the type of person that people choose to dehumanize. And that type? It's not the Duggars and Dillards of the world. Bigots are humanized entirely too much, in my opinion, when they are the ones that systematically dehumanize large swaths of people. Not that they should get hate for absolutely everything, obviously, but it's so obvious that Derick and Jill have figured out how to use social media to get people to like them without actually showing any evidence of changing in any significant way. While I tend to disagree with a lot of slippery slope arguments, I honestly expect to start seeing lavish praise for their "missionary work" any day now, that's how much the tone over them has shifted. It's the tolerance paradox on a small scale and I hate it.

Such a great comment. Totally agree.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I am glad he acknowledged that recently - it was clearly a botched job. He didn't owe it to anyone to acknowledge, but it ends speculation and questions on that front at least.

I would also love to hear what he said about his jaw surgery. His face was pretty messed up for a time. 

Also, I remember some episodes where he was having problems with gagging and throwing up all the time? Did they reveal how that was resolved? Was his jaw surgery related to that? 

So 10:15 on Mother’s Day and no IG tribute to Michelle from Jill - nor Jana, Joy, or Jessa. Jinger did post on IG story. Good for them seriously for ignoring that b—— like she ignored them growing up. I mean maybe they post something in the next 1.5 hrs but I’m thinking this is a calculated decision.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, cereality said:

So 10:15 on Mother’s Day and no IG tribute to Michelle from Jill - nor Jana, Joy, or Jessa. Jinger did post on IG story. Good for them seriously for ignoring that b—— like she ignored them growing up. I mean maybe they post something in the next 1.5 hrs but I’m thinking this is a calculated decision.

I would actually love it if one of the Duggar kids posted a Mother's Day tribute to their "Buddy Leader" and say "Happy Mother's Day to the woman who actually raised me."

• LOL 11
  • Love 12
Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

I would actually love it if one of the Duggar kids posted a Mother's Day tribute to their "Buddy Leader" and say "Happy Mother's Day to the woman who actually raised me."

Joy would have to thank Jill, but I think they're on the outs of late.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, cereality said:

They've got a little under 3 hours Arkansas time to get with it, but yeah I am thinking if they were going to post, they would have posted. The silence is deafening. 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Joy would have to thank Jill, but I think they're on the outs of late.

Why are Jill and Joy on the outs? I’ve only recently caught up with Jill’s life - when it became open knowledge that she goes to therapy, hasn’t been in her parents’ home in a few years. So I’m unclear - are they just distancing themselves from JB & Michelle or from all of Jill’s siblings? Or do her siblings just not want to be with her anymore bc she’s in therapy, drinks etc - and either they believe or JB&M are convincing them she’s a bad influence? I know they aren’t full estranged bc she posted a pic of her and Derick at Justin’s wedding, saying they came just for the day.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, cereality said:

Why are Jill and Joy on the outs? I’ve only recently caught up with Jill’s life - when it became open knowledge that she goes to therapy, hasn’t been in her parents’ home in a few years. So I’m unclear - are they just distancing themselves from JB & Michelle or from all of Jill’s siblings? Or do her siblings just not want to be with her anymore bc she’s in therapy, drinks etc - and either they believe or JB&M are convincing them she’s a bad influence? I know they aren’t full estranged bc she posted a pic of her and Derick at Justin’s wedding, saying they came just for the day.

Others might be more up on it than I am, but I believe Jill said in an interview, vaguely, that some of her siblings were more supportive of her decisions than others, without naming names. But it's led to a fair amount of speculation about who is in which category. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I don't remember the last time I saw Jill and Joy together. Jill was a no-show at Joy's wreath making day. I was sure they filmed that, but the one-off episode pretty much wrote off 2020 and resumed life in early 2021. 

Joy seems very black and white to me, and she spends lots of time at the Big House. As opposed to Jessa who can love her parents, yet still have room in her heart for Jill. 

• Love 5

This one is 2019. Maybe she just called this year. Only Jinger and Claire posted. But to be fair, the others are on a sort of black out social media wise too.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.55.44 PM.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 2