Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

And massaging the truth to make himself look  better.

Also, at the time Derick claimed that he worked full-time at a salaried job for 23 years, he was around 28 years old.  So, he went out to work at age 5?  So, the time he hung around in Arkansas both during and after his stint in El Salvador, he was working full time?  Coulda fooled me.

Here's where I say there's a need to be aware of the telephone game distortion effect.  @GeeGolly linked what appears to be that tweet above.   He didn't in fact say he had worked for 23 years at that point.   He said he'd worked full-time salaried job/school for 23 years -- meaning he'd been full-time employed or a full-time student for 23 years.

Now is that absolutely to the letter truthful?  I have absolutely no idea.   That doesn't even account for the standards by which someone qualifies for full-time work or full-time student.  Generally when we're in K-12 school we get summers off.   If he did does that mean he's lying about that time off?   If he worked at ABC company and then got a job at XYZ company that started 3 weeks after the ABC job, does that mean he wasn't full-time employed those three weeks and he's a liar?    Does he simply disregard six months here or there where he wasn't working or going to school from his mind or his tweet for whatever reason and is he therefore a liar?  

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

The Jill is a great homeschool teacher thread was also back when he said she was "college educated." He's not lying. She did take a couple of theology classes from a christian online college - maybe. Though that has not been substantiated either. 

But don't forget, she is more college-educated than the rest of us, per Derick! 

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

The Jill is a great homeschool teacher thread was also back when he said she was "college educated." He's not lying. She did take a couple of theology classes from a christian online college - maybe. Though that has not been substantiated either. 

He not only said she was college educated, he said she had more college than those who were criticizing them.    I think that is fairly easy to refute.  Jill took a few classes at a Bible college, never got a degree.  

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Also, at the time Derick claimed that he worked full-time at a salaried job for 23 years, he was around 28 years old.  So, he went out to work at age 5?  So, the time he hung around in Arkansas both during and after his stint in El Salvador, he was working full time?  Coulda fooled me.

Oh I have no doubt he's attempting to defend himself and engaging in hyperbole with things he says.   It's not an unusual phenomenon for people who feel ganged up on in SM -- how many times do we see something about some celebrity or another "clapping back" on SM to their critics, or others taking a break or removing their account because it's gotten too toxic?  That's involving people who set out with deliberation to embrace a public life.   Derrick backed into his public life.  Unsurprisingly it doesn't seem to suit him or his personality well.  

• Love 3

Or the Tweets Derick put out about Jill being a midwife. First he said she was a licensed midwife and then said she's certified, yet her name does not show up anywhere. We know she can't be licensed because she doesn't have a college degree and as far as I know certified midwives show up on a registry, and Jill's name does not.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Did you consider it 'full time, salaried' employment?  Derick says that that is what he was doing at age 5.

Since you get naps and milk time at 5, I think it qualifies, lol.  I saw where he said he'd been working since he was 5, not that he was salaried and getting a pension.  Maybe it comes down to where you live.  I hear people say that statement at least once a month, usually in regard to their lazy children.  I have NOT been employed since I was five.

I am ok with Derick, don't love him, don't hate him. Having graduated from a church affiliated college and use to belong to a church I have had many fundie friends (lite and full blown). Even during those times I was very liberal but it took some time and exposure for me to let go of less than progressive beliefs and I was never hateful about them to others. I am just hopeful that Derick and Jill can let go of more of the fundie beliefs. Time will tell.  I do believe he has been helped Jill a lot and imagine it was his idea they get therapy. They seem to have a pretty good partnership and are much better parents than in the beginning. Jill loves her family so even though she talks a lot about boundaries I would imagine JBs hatefulness to her still hurts a lot especially the implication that her siblings must be protected from her bad influence. I agree with the poster who said that Derick is a very angry  at JB in particular and the best way to get back at him is via money and control (JB's real gods).  So I am ok (actually, though it is petty of me, I am glad) that Derick pokes the bear, with vagueness and trash talking JB, TLC and the show.  I wish it was Jill who was expressing that anger instead and hope she can someday.  His approach is rather passive aggressive which is not my thing and I find it annoying, I am rational aggressive.

Hopefully he will soon get into his career and use his anger and energy in better ways for his family. I am just glad that they are no longer part of the Gothard cult and hope they can ease their way out of fundieland (though I doubt that happens).  

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Derrick backed into his public life.

Possibly. Or possibly he sought out the strong Christian Jim Bob because he was on TV. Being a college graduate, surely Derick knew all about JB's television career, "values," and of course his daughters. We won't really ever know how or why that relationship started. Derick was young but he was not dumb. A connection to JB was valuable. Perhaps he's mad now because JB strong armed him out of what he thought his rewards would be.

12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

irst he said she was a licensed midwife and then said she's certified, yet her name does not show up anywhere.

Yes he said she was a licensed certified midwife and it's confirmed that she never obtained a license. She did obtain certification as proof of completion of the work to become lay "professional midwife" -but she was never licensed to practice. And yes there is a difference between a lay "professional midwife" and a licensed certified nurse midwife (who holds a masters degree).

11 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

His approach is rather passive aggressive which is not my thing and I find it annoying, I am rational aggressive.

Haha! Me too!

12 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

Hopefully he will soon get into his career and use his anger and energy in better ways for his family. I am just glad that they are no longer part of the Gothard cult and hope they can ease their way out of fundieland (though I doubt that happens).

Agreed!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Zella said:

My favorite is that he has claimed to have a TLC contract that prevented him from doing other work (like his missionary stuff)--never mind that he filmed multiple seasons while as a missionary--and then he has also claimed he never had a TLC contract. 

I think it's entirely possible that this is true. For someone who wants to be a lawyer, Derick isn't very good with words, but I think that a lot of this stuff is just that convoluted.

In order to be on the show, Derick probably had to sign *something* with TLC and probably with Duggar Enterprises as well. In that sense, there probably was a "contract" of some sort. I believe that TLC pays Duggar Enterprises, and I think one of Derick's earliest issues was not having his own contract with TLC and getting his own paycheck.

JB may well have told Derick that the contract with TLC meant that he had to be available for filming at their convenience. This would never have been an issue before, and I don't think it had ever crossed JB's mind that his SIL would have a job and not be ready to jump whenever JB said "jump."

The SOS job was sort of event planning for a missioncation company, and not the sort of thing that Derick had expected to do as a "missionary." JB may well have presented it to Derick as a compromise and told him something like "the contract won't let you be a missionary in Nepal, but you can do missionary work for this company and fly home for filming." 

I also don't think Derick was "fired" by TLC. He was never employed by them, so he couldn't really be "fired." I think Derick was much more difficult to work with than the others, and they stopped creating stupid storylines for the Dullards (the Dullards visit a pumpkin patch! Jill and Jessa take their kids to the library!). Derick probably refused to sign some TLC waiver to be filmed when it came due, and they were effectively off the show.

I think @Tikichick hit the nail right on the head. Derick had some fantasy in his head of JB as the paterfamilias of a big, happy Christian family. Derick was 100% on board and ready to go down the path of rigid gender roles, big families, within a strict religious framework, and then he he got an up-close look at how the sausage was made. His reaction has been the sort of over-the-top rage that I would associate with someone who had been betrayed -- deeply betrayed -- by a lover, not someone who thinks his FIL is a jackass.

• Love 19

Derick definitely wants his tweets to be noticed. He tweeted today asking people to like or comment because he thought he was being censored. No, either he doesn’t understand how Twitter replies work, or he was playing the censored card to get some traction. It’s probably both. 

• Love 9

I think one thing that's driving Derick's boasts about Jill is his lowkey embarrassment of her. It must be hard admitting your wife can barely read, has no skills to work outside the home, no skills to homeschool children. The embarrassment must have become even more acute once he entered law school and interacted every day with interesting, intelligent, opinionated women.

I'm not saying he doesn't love Jill, but in that convo about creationism and the old earth/young earth theories you could really see the daily struggles their marriage must go through.

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
34 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

As for his kids being 'leaps and bounds' ahead of other kids their age due to Jill's homeschooling efforts; we've seen enough of their kids to know that they're bright; but not ahead of typical kids their age.  And, if Jill is such a terrific teacher, why is Israel going to public school?  And, why didn't he skip a grade or two if he was so advanced compared to others?

Jill taught Israel to read when he was three which would be leaps & bounds ahead of most of the three-year-old kids I've known. I think Israel is going to public school because Derick did; I think he went to the same elementary school as Israel. While Derick is probably well aware Jill is not capable of teaching K-12 he sure as hell wasn't going to knock his wife on SM and that's what I think the posters he was responding to wanted. 

28 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think Derick was counting 12 years of school and possibly 4 years of college as being in school full-time. I'm sure he included his Arkansas stints as part of working full-time because it was a 'ministry' and he was getting a regular stipend. I agree with @doodlebug that he constantly massages the truth to make himself look better and he does it on the Internet where everything is permanent so people catch in at it.

I think Derick is a narrow-minded, bullying, bigot who cannot deal with being wrong. He was attracted to JB because they have a lot of the same personality traits and he was shocked when he found out that JB's christianity is a fraud. His constant anger about the money issue is probably because he would never even think about cheating his family members out of money they worked for and lie to their faces about it. Do I think he deserves kudos for not making Jill live the Gothard life? Hell, no. But I don't think his lies/semi-lies on SM are any worse than all the rest of the world who post exaggerations and half-truths. 

• Love 22
9 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Derick definitely wants his tweets to be noticed. He tweeted today asking people to like or comment because he thought he was being censored. No, either he doesn’t understand how Twitter replies work, or he was playing the censored card to get some traction. It’s probably both. 

... and todays censored comment is  already on in touch weekly...

Surprised? He is playing the game.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have never gotten the impression that Derick is looking for his tweets to be picked up by a tabloid, go viral, what have you.  He just cannot look away when he is tagged in something.  And he also always has to have the last word.  He very easily could have ignored the notification back on Saturday (or Sunday) and gone on with his day, living his best life.  Others more famous than him do it every day.  But no, Derick was tagged so therefore he must respond.  And it devolves from there.  

I’m old enough to be his mother, and I still have to fight my inclinations to do the same. Respond, fight back, have the last word. And I often fail. 

• Love 17

This is the kind of thing where I wonder if there's any room to think that something may possibly be missing to explain the apparent discrepancies in those thoughts, or if in fact he's just playing fast and loose with the facts?   I get that there are plenty of people here who absolutely hate him, will always hate him, and therefore he must be a liar and possess every negative character trait under the sun.   For me he's someone who said some unbelievably horrendous things and would be unlikely to ever be my BFF or even a neighbor I'd do much more than nod acknowledgement. 

I don't hate Derrick, but I will never buy that they were dumb enough to believe that 19 Kids and Counting and Counting On were free ministries shown on TLC, the #1 network for reality show fame-whoring. Even if Jill was brainwashed enough to believe it, Derrick went to college and was exposed to the outside world. There's no way he didn't know somebody was getting paid. If he did actually believe it, then he's too stupid and naïve to ever be anyone's lawyer. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

I’m old enough to be his mother, and I still have to fight my inclinations to do the same. Respond, fight back, have the last word. And I often fail. 

When you are in the public eye the old saying "can't please everyone, may as well please yourself" rings very true in these situations.  Had Derrick (or any other Duggar or Duggar connected person) ignored this scandal and kept silent there would be people condemning that silence and reading things into it that likely are not true.   Unless he somehow manages to say something that undermines the prosecution's case I don't see what difference it makes what he says anyway.  Have at it, Derrick - get it off your chest.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, LuckyMommy said:

Not sure why this is not being believed. It could 100% be true. It really all depends on what your definition of work is. 

When I was 8 years old I used to go to the Insurance Agency that my Grandfdather owned and I did his filing and I got him coffee - For that I was paid the princely sum of $5 each time I did that. 

At 5 years old, maybe he was going to his grandparents and raking leaves or picking up stuff in yard etc - I am not saying that is what it was, it could have been something else as well. 

I know for me personally I counted what I did at my Grandfather's insurance agency as work. I had a job and I got paid. 

I got an allowance when I was very young for doing “work” around the house. I did start working for pay at 12, as a babysitter. Then at 16 as a waitress. If asked at what age i started to work, I would say 12. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I don't hate Derrick, but I will never buy that they were dumb enough to believe that 19 Kids and Counting and Counting On were free ministries shown on TLC, the #1 network for reality show fame-whoring. Even if Jill was brainwashed enough to believe it, Derrick went to college and was exposed to the outside world. There's no way he didn't know somebody was getting paid. If he did actually believe it, then he's too stupid and naïve to ever be anyone's lawyer. 

That idea is something else I can see arising out of a bad description that could have been helped by some clarification.

I can easily see the ministry idea being sold by JB to explain why the money was paid to only one entity, with everyone not receiving individual compensation.   I also have no problem believing if any of the kids asked JB about money, compensation, etc. he did fob them off with an explanation that the money they got wasn't really intended to pay them as an income, as they were doing it for a higher purpose.  

Should Derrick have known better?  Absolutely.   What was his mindset about the family, JB, Jill's feelings about the situation at that point?   In the initial stages he had just come back from an extended time in Nepal, started working a full-time job, was preparing to get married and then newly married, I suspect was a little surprised that his wife didn't show anywhere near the independence he was used to from his mom, the girls he went to college with, possibly girls he served with in Nepal, etc.   Did they not have a honeymoon baby?   It wasn't terribly long into their marriage when Josh became a scandal and subsequently the show was rebranded.   Given the turbulence and the fact Jill was likely struggling I doubt Derrick was pushing very hard to get some clarification about the situation with the show.    The spinout of all of that seems to be when the bloom was off the rose, relationships went sour and Derrick became well and truly disgruntled.  

Even smart people can't be expected to be savvy about every situation, and less so when they're distracted by other major life events.   Early in their marriage Derrick's mom was also battling cancer.  That's a big stressor for most.  It was probably notched up by the fact he'd already lost his dad.    Is it fair to simply declare it impossible he didn't know because he should have known and that's the end of it?

I don't think it's so cut and dried.  I also think things are misunderstood at times and that has to be factored in if you really want to look at things objectively.

• Love 16

Derick's 23 years full-time salaried job/school post is questionable to me because its a response to "get a job". I would think the tendency for most would to be respond with I've been employed full-time for the last 6 years.

The reason he didn't say that is because its wasn't true. There were lapses between jobs after he graduated. He was also fundraising for at least 2 years during that time. 

But Derick lumped school in there, back to age 5, because Derick is Derick and thinks he's smarter than anyone else.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick's 23 years full-time salaried job/school post is questionable to me because its a response to "get a job". I would think the tendency for most would to be respond with I've been employed full-time for the last 6 years.

The reason he didn't say that is because its wasn't true. There were lapses between jobs after he graduated. He was also fundraising for at least 2 years during that time. 

But Derick lumped school in there, back to age 5, because Derick is Derick and thinks he's smarter than anyone else.

That whole discussion was just silly. He should have stopped while he was ahead.

• Love 8

It;s also important to remember that in 2014 the Duggar brand was still pretty much intact. There were Duggar snark boards but TLC had done a great job packaging the Duggars as this slightly quirky huge Arkansas family. That was what Derick thought he was marrying into. I imagine for a conservative Southern baptist kid like Derick the brand must have seemed even more appealing.

Derick sometimes speaks like someone who never got over knowing how the sausage got made.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

He definitely believes he is smarter than anyone who gets into an argument with him on Twitter.  I think that is why he always double downs on his arguments and always has to get the last word.  If memory serves, he learned this from his mother.  Hasn't Cathy gotten into it a few times on Twitter?

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

That idea is something else I can see arising out of a bad description that could have been helped by some clarification.

I can easily see the ministry idea being sold by JB to explain why the money was paid to only one entity, with everyone not receiving individual compensation.   I also have no problem believing if any of the kids asked JB about money, compensation, etc. he did fob them off with an explanation that the money they got wasn't really intended to pay them as an income, as they were doing it for a higher purpose.  

Should Derrick have known better?  Absolutely.   What was his mindset about the family, JB, Jill's feelings about the situation at that point?   In the initial stages he had just come back from an extended time in Nepal, started working a full-time job, was preparing to get married and then newly married, I suspect was a little surprised that his wife didn't show anywhere near the independence he was used to from his mom, the girls he went to college with, possibly girls he served with in Nepal, etc.   Did they not have a honeymoon baby?   It wasn't terribly long into their marriage when Josh became a scandal and subsequently the show was rebranded.   Given the turbulence and the fact Jill was likely struggling I doubt Derrick was pushing very hard to get some clarification about the situation with the show.    The spinout of all of that seems to be when the bloom was off the rose, relationships went sour and Derrick became well and truly disgruntled.  

Even smart people can't be expected to be savvy about every situation, and less so when they're distracted by other major life events.   Early in their marriage Derrick's mom was also battling cancer.  That's a big stressor for most.  It was probably notched up by the fact he'd already lost his dad.    Is it fair to simply declare it impossible he didn't know because he should have known and that's the end of it?

I don't think it's so cut and dried.  I also think things are misunderstood at times and that has to be factored in if you really want to look at things objectively.

Derick is misunderstood perhaps. If he took the time to present well reasoned logical arguments such as yours, he'd be better off.

Instead, he rants. He omits needed context and exaggerates needlessly. Therefore It is reasonable to be suspicious of his motivations and varied explanations. 

I agree though. We cannot speak in absolutes either way simply because we are not Derrick (thankfully). 

I've enjoyed all these comments today from so many different perspectives. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He definitely believes he is smarter than anyone who gets into an argument with him on Twitter.  I think that is why he always double downs on his arguments and always has to get the last word.  If memory serves, he learned this from his mother.  Hasn't Cathy gotten into it a few times on Twitter?

He’s also the oldest child. We have that tendency!

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Maybe it's too many years working in a court setting, but reading that I can see a witness saying -- I was answering how I pay for law school.   That money went to pay for our home or to pay our other bills, not law school.

The guy's got a degree in accounting and is attending law school.  He has more than a passing familiarity with parsing things to a fine point as he chooses.  

It’s also possible he views doing the show and his YouTube stuff as work. I don’t think he’s a natural extrovert and I doubt he enjoys making those videos. He’s doing it to get paid. And while at the time I think he viewed his appearances on the show as a ministry, I have no problem with the idea that looking back, after leaving the show and having to hire a lawyer to get money out of JB, he might now view it as work for which he was compensated. 

Claiming to have been working and attending school since he was five, though, is pretty clearly just made up. Although the either/or explanation makes some sense there too.

Edited by mynextmistake
  • Love 3
Just now, mynextmistake said:

It’s also possible he views doing the show and his YouTube stuff as work. I don’t think he’s a natural extrovert and I doubt he enjoys making those videos. He’s doing it to get paid. And while at the time I think he viewed his appearances on the show as a ministry, I have no problem with the idea that looking back, after leaving the show and having to hire a lawyer to get money out of JB, he might now view it as work for which he was compensated. 

Claiming to have been working and attending school since he was five, though, is pretty clearly just made up.

Sorry, I was not clear.   I believe it's entirely possible that Derrick was told when he entered the fold that he would not be paid as a participant in the show because they had all been doing it all along as a ministry, with the ministry being paid.   He had a lot going on at the time and probably would have felt it wasn't his place to raise any questions he had with the guy who had the answers.   No matter the family, no matter the family business, not many people feel comfortable rolling in as a newbie, openly shaking every tree for information and then saying, no, I don't think we should do it this way, I'd like to do it like this instead.   Remember his wife had done it this way for years and was content too.   

As far as the claim about years of work and school I don't think in his mind it is made up at all.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are gaps in there.   But I also wouldn't say someone else responding to that type of question in a similar way wasn't telling the truth if I found out they had spent six months at home after the birth of their first child and four months after the second or some other type of employment gap that they overlook for another reason.  That's normal for people communicating, especially with something like social media.   I wouldn't like to be taken to task for every word on SM where I assumed someone understood what I meant even though I was clear as mud or wasn't letter perfect/black and white details.  That's human.

• Love 4

my question is at the beginning, why would Derick have felt a need to be paid if told if was a "family ministry"

he married a duggar, went on his honeymoon, came back to that huge, furnished house and had a job at walmart. They should have been fine. But Jill didn't adjust well and Derick seemed to take a ton of time off that first year for filming and travel. 

It seems he was not unhappy with the arrangement until he quit/got fired from walmart and they had bills from Israel's birth.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The initial tweet that Derick replied to was from Dave Ramsey going on about how student loans are evil.  Derick is a Ramsey fan and wants everyone to believe that he has never gotten into debt.  That would include all of his education and a mortgage.  

Someone posted here that their home does not have a mortgage. I could be mistaken, but I recall thinking that was unusual. 

I’m not a Derick fan but it seems we are overlooking part of the tweet about his work and school history. He leads with salaried work, but also adds school. Granted, most of those 23 years were spent in school. But he didn’t claim he had solely worked for the previous 23 years. There’s plenty to snark on Derick for but please let’s try to be accurate. It still was a stupid thing for him to tweet.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, SMama said:

Someone posted here that their home does not have a mortgage. I could be mistaken, but I recall thinking that was unusual. 

I remember reading that. But how would anyone know if there's a mortgage or not?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SMama said:

On another message board I used to visit there was a woman who said that her religion didn't allow her to have a mortgage so she has to save until she can buy outright and she realises that will never happen.  I have no clue what religious sect preaches that but unless you live somewhere with low property values and/or have a high salary home ownership isn't going to happen.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I remember reading that. But how would anyone know if there's a mortgage or not?

I dunno about where they live, but in some places the first lien holder (i.e. a mortgage lender) is listed on the property records along with the owner of record.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

When I poke around on Arkansas public property records, I personally have never been able to tell if a property was mortgaged, but I could have overlooked it. I am always more interested in whose name it is in and the sales history. 

• Love 3

He says he's always been debt free. Wouldn't that imply that there is no mortgage? 

They lived in two nice (presumably free) JB properties before they bought their new house.  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Zella said:

When I poke around on Arkansas public property records, I personally have never been able to tell if a property was mortgaged, but I could have overlooked it. I am always more interested in whose name it is in and the sales history. 

the sales history is always interesting on Duggar properties for sure.

Benton Co makes it hard. you can't see the actual paperwork. It just says Warranty Deed with no details.

Washington County is much easier. You can sometimes see 4 or 5 pages of documents that sometimes include the tax stamp page.(Jessa and Bin did not pay only $1) That's how I stumbled across Meechle prints her name on documents and does the heart over the i.

Jason for sure has taken loans for property - some with JB as a co-signer it would seem.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe someone here is a loose-lipped banker from Arkansas?...

In which case, come right here and sit by me. 

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

the sales history is always interesting on Duggar properties for sure.

Benton Co makes it hard. you can't see the actually paperwork. It just says Warranty Deed with no details.

Washington County is much easier. You can sometimes see 4 or 5 pages of documents that sometimes include the tax stamp page.(Jessa and Bin did not pay $1) That's how I stumbled across Meechle prints her name on documents and does the heart over the i.

Jason for sure has taken loans for property - some with JB as a co-signer it would seem.

YES! I always die inside when I see it is a Benton County property and not Washington County. LOLOL 

• LOL 5

There must be some available databases where mortgages and mortgage balances are publicly available, possibly by paying a fee to access.   I've had solicitation emails over the years for mortgage refinancing and home equity loans that use figures reasonably close to whatever our current mortgage has been at the time to demonstrate that somehow that information is available.   

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

00B5013E-CE12-454E-9E40-732E11DBC248.jpeg

Good for Jill just going about life and having snacks. This isn't on her to have to weigh in on but it has to be triggering. 

• Love 23

Mod Announcement- 

Please stay on topic. Your philosophy on the culture/attitude of various social media sites is best suited to the Small Talk thread. If your post is not primarily about Jill & Derrick, it belongs in another thread. Quoting the person you wish to reply to and stating "Taking my reply to "xyz thread"." is always appropriate. 

Off topic posts have been removed. 

• Love 2

I know a lot of people think Derrick and Jill will be the ones to write a tell-all. Personally I would rather Jordyn and Jenny escape and write what they saw while they were growing up since their growing up took place after the show.  I know it wouldn't be the "before we were rich and famous" book, but it would be "how we grew up in front of the camera."  
I wish Derrick would grow up and stay in a career.  I still can't help but wonder if he will pass the bar and then what he will think about having to meet billable hours even if that means long nights and weekends.  In less than five years he will probably be in school again and changing careers. 
I think Derrick thought by marrying Jill he would make as much money as JB, especially after the show was rebranded. Then expecting TLC to pay the medical bills when - was it Sammy - was born.  Most people before bringing a child (or two) into the world have stable jobs with insurance to pay for childbirth. They aren't playing missionary and expecting others to pay their medical bills. With all the lies he has told about various things, I still wonder what the truth is about the money they did - or did not - make from show.  

• Love 9
(edited)

I have some perspective on Israel learning to read at age 3.  Children who are well coached can read CVC (consonant vowel consonant as in cat, rat, can, dog, etc) if they are lead through it well.  Jill had some decent material to do that.  What she didn't seem able to do was keep the momentum going through the next steps.  If a child is truly reading CVC words independently at 3 and not just memorizing them from parental repetition will move on to more advanced material by 4 at the latest.  That would be simple books that use the 10 to 20 most common sight words plus CVC words that are regular.  By 5 he should have been reading things like the mid first grade Dr. Seuss books at a minimum. I don't think Jill was up to the what to do next part.  That Israel's "reading" was memorizing without the underlying understanding of the process is likely.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7
(edited)
41 minutes ago, SMama said:

Derick requested financial assistance for Israel’s birthday. Walmart’s insurance must be awful, and he worked at corporate.

I’d forgotten about all the financial whining around Samuels birth.  Derreck has about five different accounts of why he should’ve been paid for that birth. And I don’t think any of them make sense in the overall narrative. 

And we haven’t even touch the Donate!  I mean damn that Dillard family ministries was. Did they ever release any financial information about that? Otherwise Derreck needs to STFU. 

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 8
41 minutes ago, SMama said:

Derick requested financial assistance for Israel’s birthday. Walmart’s insurance must be awful, and he worked at corporate.

Probably had a huge deductible.

• Useful 4
3 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

I forgotten about all the financial whining around Samuels birth.  Derreck has about five different accounts of why he should’ve been paid for that birth. And I don’t think any of them make sense in the overall narrative. 

And we haven’t even touch the Donate!  I mean damn that Dillard family ministries was. Did they ever release any financial information about that? Otherwise Derreck needs to STFU. 

They never released any financial information about their donations as far as I know.   Hoe much they received and how that money was spent are 2 questions we will never know the answer to. 

• Love 9
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They never released any financial information about their donations as far as I know.   Hoe much they received and how that money was spent are 2 questions we will never know the answer to. 

$12,000 appeared for his useless ministry degree, and somehow there was able to get a house fully paid for and law school tuition. I sometimes wonder just how much they raked in. I’m sure it wasn’t a ton of money but on the other hand it was probably what they would’ve made working honest jobs for a few years.

Next time he goes in a tweet storm I wish someone would bring that up for him to ignore.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Nope. That was the first indicator to me that Derelict was shady with money. 

• Love 12