Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The breed is Belgian Maliniois (hope I got the spelling right).

Ah okay--my dad actually owns one of them! They're often used for police work. My dad's is well-trained and has always been a real sweetheart, but we had a mauling issue with one in my county when some country dumbass cop lost control of his. I really hope they take the time to train it properly, but I have my doubts. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yeah, I read about them being used in police work. They're obviously intelligent, but they seem to need structure. We shall see...

Yeah. I think they're happier when they have a job or a sense of purpose. My dad's was trained for drug searches and seemed to get kind of anxious after she stopped doing that. They're very much what I would consider a working dog, though my firsthand experience is pretty much limited to his dog. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

It depends on the dog and how it's raised. I know some Belgian Malinois/GSD's that sleep on the couch all day. Jill's dog seems to be an older dog. Very often they're calmer. 

Yeah age can make a difference, so the older dog will likely be more mellow. Also whatever it is mixed with will also be a factor.  

• Love 5

I watched some of the video. If they adopted the dog they were walking, it looked pretty energetic. Maybe they said how old the dog was later in the video, but it presented on the younger side to me. I assume that was the dog they adopted; Jill spent a lot of time filming it.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, leighdear said:

A dog, what a wonderful idea!!!  1 toddler at home, 1 at school.  Deartick earnestly studying to finish law school, then cram for the bar exam, while that cute puppy is frolicking in the small, fenced backyard with their 2 little kids.  Yep, definitely the calm, quiet and serene environment every serious law student could ask for. 

I'm certain Deartick will be absolutely patient, compassionate and loving to that little pup.   Sure. 

And of course a 5 year-old and a 3 year-old can handle obedience training.  Piece of cake.  

Lots of families with small children and busy lives have pets. Most treat them like part of the family. Kids and dogs are a match made in heaven. Until proven otherwise I’m going to assume the Dillards adopted this dog with intention of making her part of the clan. I do not doubt this pup will fair better than the dog Joy and Austin adopted who never seemed to be allowed in the house and has Now totally disappeared. 

• Love 19

If they adopted the dog in the video, the Dillard yard is barely big enough. The fenced in part of our yard is about the same size. Its perfect for our chihuahua, but too small for a bigger dog who needs to run their energy out. 

There is so much to do with dog ownership that many don't realize. Like is the dog going to poop in the backyard? Because that's where their children play, so that means daily poop pick-up. Is the dog a big shedder? Because that means daily vacuuming. And vet bills, chewed toys/shoes/furniture, daily walks and feedings, training, etc. What will the Dillards do with their dog when they vacation?

I keep thinking of the toy bouncy horse, covered in snow in the backyard, in one of Jill's posts. The Dillards have a covered patio and a garage, yet that indoor toy appears to be left outside. Dogs can't left to rust in the backyard once the novelty wears off.

And outdoor dogs aren't a thing in our neck of the woods. We have cold and snowy winters and hot and humid summers. On the super hot days, our chihuahua asks to go back inside long before we go back in. In the winter she's outside only long enough to do her business. 

I don't have high hopes, the Duggars, including Jill, seem to lack any self-discipline that isn't imposed on them by some rule. Pet owners make their own rules and to me that's concerning.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

The dog in the video didn't look much like a Belgian Malinois at all to me. Unless she was still basically a puppy, which she didn't appear to be, she was also much smaller than they are. A very nice size, really,  for a family with small children.  She did seem pretty bouncy, though I expect she was just happy to be out of the cage. I don't know what breed/mix I'd peg her as - just a basic sort of light brown mixed breed, so if there was any Malinois in there, I expect it was pretty watered down with other things.

I hope they do some good research on training, since it doesn't appear that they have much or any real experience with it. Derick strikes me as someone who would not naturally turn into a positive-reinforcement kind of guy when the dog made mistakes.

• Love 14

I just rechecked the video. The dog they have in the car could pass for a Belgian Malinois. The pictures on Google of Belgian Malinois look like skinny German Shepherds. The dog the Dillards have has lighter face markings. Not sure is those darken up with age.

• Useful 2

I'm guessing they did some research online into the specific dogs and breeds listed at the shelter based on their comments about not being sure that dog would actually be available and the fact that Jill specifically said she was a Malinois.   Hopefully that means they were thoughtful about the decision and maybe will follow through on training.   To me the dog seemed youthful, but beyond puppy stage, which should help. 

• Love 4

With the size of their yard, that dog is going to need walking.  Derick used to jog/run.  Maybe he'll keep or start back up with that and take the dog.  I hope one of them is up to taking the dog out regularly.  

• Love 10

This is a high energy breed but the dog responded well to basic commands, so there's a foundation of training in place.  Also, these dogs are very trainable.  I hope they do the training.   My friend is on the board of the Human Society and their adoption standards are fairly high.  They have usually tested which dogs are not child friendly or noted which dogs are super high energy.  They also ask if the dog is going to be an outside dog, and ask for plans when it snows or is super cold.  The Dillard's were probably vetted before being allowed to adopt.  Jill and Derrick paid good attention to how the kids were interacting with the animals and corrected their behavior if it was wrong (We don't ride dogs).   I'll at least give them a chance since a big backyard and a family is better than a kennel.  But I will be the first one to troll them if they aren't good owners.  

If Derrick is still running, that's a great way to wear the dog out.  As for the size of the backyard, I would kill for that yard, as would all my dog friends.  It's a safe place to play fetch and run around. 

I fully back Sam's desire for the beagle!!

Edited by hathorlive
  • Useful 1
  • Love 23

If anything, the dog will give Jill a bit more to do too.  She tends to get bored when Derrick is off studying or door dashing or whatever.  Sounds like her daily planner is starting to fill up with lots of new responsibilities.   Very healthy for her.

• Useful 2
  • Love 20

There was a mention that part of the inspiration behind getting a dog was for the boys to expend some energy.   They also understood that the dog needed some training before she was ready to behave on the leash for one of the boys.  

If handled the right way this could be a wonderful experience for the boys and a great life for a dog.   Something that seems like a natural fit for both Derick and Israel would be to seek out some dog training books, both those that are manuals with techniques and tips for adults to follow, and books directed at young kids getting a dog for the first time.   If Jill and Derick start working with actual training techniques the boys will be watching.   Israel is the perfect age and personality for keeping mom and dad accountable to what they said the rules are.   It will also give the boys the opportunity to learn good habits from the start.   There's at least some hope this could be a great thing for the boys and the dog.  

• Love 19
3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

If anything, the dog will give Jill a bit more to do too.  She tends to get bored when Derrick is off studying or door dashing or whatever.  Sounds like her daily planner is starting to fill up with lots of new responsibilities.   Very healthy for her.

I agree, but I question whether someone whose whole life is geared around "keeping sweet" will be able to effectively train an energetic dog. I don't wish the fate of all previous Duggar pets on any animal, and I hope that they all put in the necessary effort to train and properly care for this dog.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I agree, but I question whether someone whose whole life is geared around "keeping sweet" will be able to effectively train an energetic dog. I don't wish the fate of all previous Duggar pets on any animal, and I hope that they all put in the necessary effort to train and properly care for this dog.

Maybe there’s hope, Jill hasn’t kept sweet with her abusers parents.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

True, but you have to give them credit for that completely unflattering picture of Josh. Every once in a while, Daily Fail knocks it out of the park.

A Duggar* posted that picture of Josh, someone at the Daily Fail bookmarked it for future use.  

*It might have been Anna, since she still thinks she won the husband lottery.

• LOL 11
58 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

True, but you have to give them credit for that completely unflattering picture of Josh. Every once in a while, Daily Fail knocks it out of the park.

They only EVER call him "sex pest" and that makes up for a tiny fraction of their otherwise disgusting coverage. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

A Duggar* posted that picture of Josh, someone at the Daily Fail bookmarked it for future use.  

*It might have been Anna, since she still thinks she won the husband lottery.

Hehe I'm just envisioning the Daily Fail flunkie whose job it is to bookmark terrible social media pictures. 

Daily Fail Employee 1: "This is my Josh folder."

Daily Fail Employee 2: "That's really . . . disturbing."

Daily Fail Employee 1: "It's the largest folder I have. Every picture they post of him is awful. It's like they can't even see how bad they are. Can I interest you in my Jeremy or Jessa folders?" 

Daily Fail Employee 2: *backs away slowly*

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
On 2/24/2021 at 6:53 PM, Westiepeach said:

Yeah, but wasn’t Derick one of the ones that was aiming for the poor kitty while he was sliding down the hill?

Yeah, he was. But he and Bin were stupid guys on the fringe of marrying into what they thought was royalty, and they were just besotted with the desire to please the screaming bloodthirsty Duggars. I've always thought that, left to their own devices, neither would have pulled that stunt, and I still think that. They were trying to please their new overlords/ladies. And we know what their overlords/ladies are like. All the Duggars were screaming for blood and BIn and Der let their hormones do the talking. Looking at them and at their parents over time,  I doubt either one of them was raised to lust for animal cruelty, while the ever-tacky, slyly rageful Duggs were.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Jill and Derick don't seem particularly concerned about covid, so did they opt not to go, or were they not invited? I know things are awkward with Derick and Boob, but Jill could've gone to Texas on her own. To miss your brother's wedding is a pretty big deal, unless of course, Justin was one of the judgmental siblings like Joy.

• Love 8

Maybe with Dreck and Izzy in school the Dillards decided a Friday out of state wedding was not a great idea. Especially when it seems like the estrangement is getting worse not better. Real school is a good excuse.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
20 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

Real school is a perfectly good excuse for mainstream people who see the value in education. For the Duggars, however... to them it shows Jill doesn't have her priorities straight. 

And that's precisely why they're so fucked up. Their priorities are bass-ackwards. 

eta: And here I am, sticking up for the Dillards. Whoda thunk it? 😁

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • LOL 7
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Maybe with Dreck and Izzy in school the Dillards decided a Friday out of state wedding was not a great idea. Especially when it seems like the estrangement is getting worse not better. Real school is a good excuse.

Especially when the school probably has real social distancing policies in place and that wedding does not. 

I don't think missing your brother's wedding is a big deal when you have 10 of them plus a cousin your parents are raising and 8 sisters. With as big as the family is, it's inevitable that not everyone will make every wedding. They even said that at one of the weddings. I can't remember if it was Jill's or Jessa's. 

She might have been there, but skipping the out-of-state, COVID spreading, teenage wedding sound likes okay to me. 

• Love 19

Since weddings seem to be the big social events for the Fundie crowd the Duggars probably can’t imagine why Jill would skip. Don’t they invite hundreds and hundreds of people? Otherwise how did JillR even score an invite to Jing’s? 

• Love 4