Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I don't think Richard Dillard was ever a good name - too sing songy. But he really was gone too soon and it was a very nice gesture for Deena and Dan to name him after his grandfather.

The drop in retirement party does not seem wise, but that's what these people do. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I don't think Richard Dillard was ever a good name - too sing songy. But he really was gone too soon and it was a very nice gesture for Deena and Dan to name him after his grandfather.

If he goes by Dick Dillard, he could definitely be a politician.  I don’t know why, but that just seems like a name destined for politics.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

If he goes by Dick Dillard, he could definitely be a politician.  I don’t know why, but that just seems like a name destined for politics.  

Or a cartoon villain. He teams up with Dick Dastardly, you see. 

• LOL 10
20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I've never understood the nickname Dick. I assume it came about long before the slang word dick, but once the slang version of dick appeared, one would think nickname Dick would disappear. 

Yeah, I only hear it with men of a certain age, and I assume that's why. I don't really encounter many people my age named Richard, but when I do, they go by Rick or Ricky. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Apropos of nothing, I love her scarf!

Cathy is definitely one of the more stylish members of this clan.  She seems to have a good eye for what will look good on her.  Along with the cute haircut, the trendy glasses and nice makeup, she looks quite pretty and very approachable.

2 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah, I only hear it with men of a certain age, and I assume that's why. I don't really encounter many people my age named Richard, but when I do, they go by Rick or Ricky. 

My father's brother, Richard, was given the nickname Dick as a kid.  While the immediate family pretty much always called him that, his friends and coworkers in the latter part of his life called him Rich.  He decided to get rid of his original nickname for obvious reasons.  He was a terrific guy, definitely not a dick.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I've never understood the nickname Dick. I assume it came about long before the slang word dick, but once the slang version of dick appeared, one would think nickname Dick would disappear. 

My grandfather’s name was Richard, and my grandma called him Dick to his dying day. 
The music teacher at my HS was named Richard Dick. 😂

• LOL 9
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Lol, something I’ve always wondered too!  I’m curious how the slang developed. I’m sorry for all the innocent Dicks whose name became a joke!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Did they say they were calling him by his middle name? Brady is kind of cute and much better than Dick. One of my nephews middle name is Richard. He's named after his grandfather who goes by his whole name. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, awaken said:

Lol, something I’ve always wondered too!  I’m curious how the slang developed. I’m sorry for all the innocent Dicks whose name became a joke!  

This reminds me of a song from Kiss Me Kate that just kills me:

I'm (She's) a maid who would marry
And would no longer tarry,
I'm (She's) a maid who would marry,
May my hopes not miscarry!
I'm (She's) a maid mad to marry
And will take double-quick
Any Tom, Dick or Harry,
Any Tom, Harry or Dick.
BIANCA & SUITORS:
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick!
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick...
Any Tom, Dick or Harry,
Any Tom, Harry or Dick!

• LOL 11
10 hours ago, beckie said:

Did they say they were calling him by his middle name? Brady is kind of cute and much better than Dick. One of my nephews middle name is Richard. He's named after his grandfather who goes by his whole name. 

No, as far as we know the baby is being called Brady (his first name). Richard is the middle name.

I always thought Derick was partly named after his dad, since Richard Dillard went by Rick. (Rick ---> Derick). 

• Useful 3
On 2/12/2021 at 5:23 PM, emma675 said:

They are having a live, drop in retirement party. In the middle of a pandemic. For a woman who only recently survived cancer. Idiots. 

I don't know how they're arranging it, but I'm a board member for a local non-profit and our volunteer appreciation party was drop-in. It was also masked, social distance rules were observed, and there were never more than 10 people in the hotel banquet room. The few times there were more than that, the overflow spread out down the unused hall. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, Suzn said:

This reminds me of a song from Kiss Me Kate that just kills me:

I'm (She's) a maid who would marry
And would no longer tarry,
I'm (She's) a maid who would marry,
May my hopes not miscarry!
I'm (She's) a maid mad to marry
And will take double-quick
Any Tom, Dick or Harry,
Any Tom, Harry or Dick.
BIANCA & SUITORS:
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick!
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick,
A dicka dick...
Any Tom, Dick or Harry,
Any Tom, Harry or Dick!

Dr. Google says "dick" has been slang for penis since around the 1880s, and you can bet that Cole Porter created that lyric intentionally to get something by the censors (not sure Broadway had them, but movies sure did!).  

• Useful 4
  • LOL 6
On 2/13/2021 at 2:35 PM, GeeGolly said:

Shortening Richard to Dick happens for the same reason an Edward can be a Ted, a Henry can be a Harry, and a Robert can be a Robin.  The English as a people are simultaneously both imaginative and unimaginative.  Historically then had like 10 names for men and needed a way to differentiate within a family.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
50 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Shortening Richard to Dick happens for the same reason an Edward can be a Ted, a Henry can be a Harry, and a Robert can be a Robin.  The English as a people are simultaneously both imaginative and unimaginative.  Historically then had like 10 names for men and needed a way to differentiate within a family.  

Ya, I get that part, like Bill from William or Jack from John. Its the slang form and nickname form of Dick that I find curious. I'm even more curious now, since @Fosca let us know the slang version of Dick has been around along time. I mean nobody decided a nickname for Virginia is vagina or Vajayjay or even Gina pronounced with a long I.  The nickname for Barbara isn't boob, or worse, the nickname for Connie isn't cun*.

Like if Dick was known as dick, then why?

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

So true!  I do genealogical research and my family tree is lousy with Williams.  Even in the same generation there would be multiple first cousins with the same name. They had to have a variety of nicknames I'm sure.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Spazamanaz said:

Shortening Henry to Harry makes no sense to me. Same amount of letters and syllables. 

I believe it's the anglicanized Henri. Henry in Latin is Henricus and the French say Henri.  There were a few French queens who married King Henrys.  Not to mention Henry II was a Frenchman who inherited the English Crown through his mother.  The English court spoke French for centuries.

I know Henry VIII was known as Harry and also as Hal. It's not really shortening the name, but giving it a different flavor because Dad is Henry.  

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2021 at 8:12 AM, MaryAnneSpier said:

For some reason my brain wants a pickle at the end.

Dick Dillard Pickle 

I think Dick was a really popular name for a while because of children's "Dick and Jane" books.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

For some reason my brain wants a pickle at the end.

Dick Dillard Pickle 

I think Dick was a really popular name for a while because of children's "Dick and Jane" books.

If you think about too long, it gives Sally, Dick and Jane a whole new meaning.

• LOL 11
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe it's the anglicanized Henri. Henry in Latin is Henricus and the French say Henri.  There were a few French queens who married King Henrys.  Not to mention Henry II was a Frenchman who inherited the English Crown through his mother.  The English court spoke French for centuries.

I know Henry VIII was known as Harry and also as Hal. It's not really shortening the name, but giving it a different flavor because Dad is Henry.  

Oh ok, makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Using kid-friendly terms, the Arkansas native added, “We had a date and then you started growing inside of mommy’s tummy.”

Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard. YouTube

Duggar chimed in, saying that the duo “had a bunch of dates” before welcoming their babies into the world. Her husband quipped back, “We did have four dates in one day, I think, that one time.”

The couple joked about trying to broach the topic in a “discreet” way, with Duggar quietly adding, “Hey, we have a good sex life.”

Oh, STFU!  Maybe there are people who want to know about your sex life, but you're making me sick!  Using the word date to mean having sex is really stupid.  You didn't invent sex and have nothing worthwhile to offer and this is just immature bragging.

• Love 20

Speaking of school. as somebody who dragged out the kindergarten registration, videos and associated crap, has Jill mentioned anything about what little snaggle-tooth Izzy is doing in public school?

I know loads of young moms, and none of them can stay off social media about every excruciating moment of their kid's school life, whether it's live, Zoom or a combination.  Everything from projects to lunches and virtual "recess". 

Where's all the crowing about all his new friends, all his accomplishments, all the things he comes home to teach Sam?  Wasn't there supposed to be some massive growth in his socialization and maturity once he got to school?  Why are they hiding all that?  

• Love 3

Derrick mentioned that when he was growing up, he called body parts by tehir anatomical name rather than euphamisms. He then explained why he prefers that so if something happens to a kid, if they use the correct words the adults will understand what happened better. I wonder if the Duggars may have used cutesty names and euphamisms for stuff and that could have made the abuse by Josh go on longer than it would if they were better informed about their bodies? 

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I wonder if the Duggars may have used cutesty names and euphamisms for stuff and that could have made the abuse by Josh go on longer than it would if they were better informed about their bodies? 

If you read the police reports from the molestation scandal, when the kids were interviewed individually, they were asked to name different body parts.  They mostly used the word "privates" for the naughty parts.  No cutesy names came up.

• Useful 6
10 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

If you read the police reports from the molestation scandal, when the kids were interviewed individually, they were asked to name different body parts.  They mostly used the word "privates" for the naughty parts.  No cutesy names came up.

Actually, "pee pee holder" was used to describe a penis.

12 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I believe at least one of the kids called it a "pee-pee holder." Not cutesy, but... kind of weird.

ETA: emmawoodhouse beat me to it!

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Zella said:

I feel like teaching your child the word "date" as a stand-in for "sex," is going to come back to bite them and you in the ass when they finally get asked on their first date and the other person literally just means "let's go get ice cream together" and not "let's make a baby."

Exactly.  It's actually misinforming the kids, who are going to hear references to dates and be really confused.

10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Seriously. I'm all for teaching kids proper terminology and encouraging them to be open with their questions, but I don't think they need to be privy to the details of their parents' sex lives, nor do millions of strangers. Call me a prude, but some things should stay private. 

They seem to have no filter for things that should be private.  The kids went along on that recent "date" going from one restaurant to the next, and were discussing their sex life in front of the kids.  In the article they were talking about starting to lock their bedroom door - what is there to debate and why didn't they start doing that as soon as the boys were able to barge in?  If they are going at it all the time as advertised, what have the kids walked in on?

• Love 12