Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Just a question since it's been brought up a few times - when people are talking pinkeye related to Zika they're talking actual pinkeye as in conjunctivitis, right?  Because Izzy definitely doesn't seem to have that in any of his pictures. His top and bottom lids do seem pink or red a lot, though. I think of that as more of a symptom of allergies (or crying, but I don't think he's been crying in most of the pics). If he's allergic to dust the poor kid is screwed in that environment.

• Love 1

Dressing like a stoner and being a stoner are two different animals entirely...I'm sure Boob knows that, but wearing anything but a polo, khakis, and tennis shoes/loafers is an anathema to him as well as long hair or facial hair.   That scruffy hipster look isn't uncommon, but you don't typically see evangelical Christians dressing like that. 

It's plausible that many people get parasites in Central America..it only takes one contaminated piece of food or sip of water.  He's very thin and gangly , but he could have a crazy metabolism, but he does look like he could be sick...any speculation I've made re Dericks health has been for concern for his well being...not to ridicule his face or body.

Maybe they are coloring outside the Boob boundaries by expressing themselves...that's another theory....the garden variety rebellion we all took part in as teenagers would have made Boobs head explode. Their mental age is about 14 so they are likely experiencing the adolescence they've been deprived of. That explains Muffy, but Derick actually went to a secular college and lived on his own for a while.  Good for Muffy if she's beginning to question that warped upbringing of hers...

I sincerely hope there's no addiction or mental health issues for them since we know they would likely not receive proper treatment...and Boob would make their lives a living hell in perpetuity. I also hope that Derick has not been mistreating his wife or child in any way...

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

The reason for the visit could be many reasons:

• Marital conflict
  • Izzy is sick
  • Jill or Derick has health problems
  • Boob smells sin in the camp
  • Derick has gone rogue and Jill wants Boob to sort him out
  • Jill is suffering from depression

Jill has always been the Miss Goody Two Flipflops taddle-tale of the family... I can't really imagine her smoking weed or popping pills or drinking...but after Joshley Madison's escapades...maybe the Good Daughter isn't as lily white as we thought she was...certainly it would surprise none of us if there are more secrets.

i hope that none of them are ill. Derick has looked very gaunt for a long time. He seems to have symptoms of Marfan Syndrome...long limbs, palate and bite issues, beanpole body type.  Marfans can carry with it deadly complications of aortal aneurysm and issues of the heart valves.  It should not be ignored for those reasons. I'm not the first poster to suggest this either.

Jill and Derick were very unprepared for missionary work, just like Muffy left Duggardom basically unprepared for any life situation when Boob married her off to an unsuspecting Derick. For someone purported to be very steeped in religion, I find her somewhat immature in her faith as it hasn't evolved much beyond quoting inane platitudes and a few standard Bible verses. I guess the Temple of Boob was not an ecumenical experience. She may have wanted to go out to the mission field, but that requires work and study.  Missionaries build schools, dig latrines, build water pumps, and help plant and raise crops, and help with medical and dental care, and distribute food, shoes, clothing and clean water to the needy. It's not about distributing sweets but making enough of a difference in the daily lives of others to make them curious about your message. At least that's how I understand it works.

Which category does we want Jill to have another baby and Israel is 13 months and why aren't you pregnant yet fall into? It could be almost any of them with the exception of Izzy is sick. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, NikSac said:

Just a question since it's been brought up a few times - when people are talking pinkeye related to Zika they're talking actual pinkeye as in conjunctivitis, right?  Because Izzy definitely doesn't seem to have that in any of his pictures. His top and bottom lids do seem pink or red a lot, though. I think of that as more of a symptom of allergies (or crying, but I don't think he's been crying in most of the pics). If he's allergic to dust the poor kid is screwed in that environment.

In this picture his left eye looks swollen and red. Much like I remember my kids' eyes looking back in the day when they had pink eye. In a couple other pictures around this same time the same eye looks a bit funky. 

12717107_1708760956027814_2128207148_n.j

Well, ya'll, the latest piece in People magazine sez all is just fine, Jill's birthday, the Dullards are happy in their work (whatever that is) and want to stay in Danger America for a long time. And everyone lives happily ever after. Nothing to see here, move right along. */sarcasm*

• Love 3

I think Derrick looks fine.  I like the hippie look.  And children get eye infections. So do adults...

Why all the rumors about addiction and marital strife?  We had rumors every month of Jill's pregnancy (which has yet to happen) and maybe it isn't happening because Derrick and/or Jill want a small family, or time between kids, or even one child. We don't know do we?  We are not privy to private conversations.  

Perhaps it is simply a birthday visit from her parents and James.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

Which category does we want Jill to have another baby and Israel is 13 months and why aren't you pregnant yet fall into? It could be almost any of them with the exception of Izzy is sick. 

Why sin in the camp, of course.  Contraception is evil...so since they're not using birth control, maybe they are  abstaining/ and sleeping in separate rooms...That goes against being joyfully available...or maybe Derick is using condoms.  Either way, it's not Boob's business...it's Jill and Derick's...just the very novel idea of Jerick having the self determination to decide what's right for them would make Boob's head explode.

• Love 2

For the record, I don't think Derick has "a problem." I think he has a lot of pain resulting from his mangled surgery, and as a result doesn't eat much and lost a ton of weight. I think the beard, bandana and long hair is his way of "going native." As others noted, it's possible the change is deliberate to show some individuality amongst a sea of khaki pants, Polos and helmet hair.

As for Jill, I don't believe she wants to stay in Danger America. She doesn't have the confidence or the skills to function outside her bubble. There's no Sister-Moms to pick up the slack and she's faltering. I think she'd be more than happy to see Derick go back to the cubicle farm so she could spend her days at the TTH with her siblings.

• Love 4

Something popped into my head last night.  I don't think DDD is as stupid as we have come to think.  I think the guy is using birth control, and plans to raise his children differently than the Gothard crowd.  Okay, now that I've said that, Jilly will probably turn up preggers (but I hope not).

If they admitted Jilly is uncomfortable and unhappy in Danger America, SOS would probably pull them off the job.

• Love 6

Can anyone remind me what kind of jaw/mouth surgery Derrick had? I remember it being something big that was being done in stages, but I couldn't remember what it was supposed to be fixing. Maybe he isn't shaving because that part of his face is too sensitive from the surgery? I had thyroid surgery two years ago and I couldn't stand anything touching that part of my neck for months afterwards--the incision and all of the nerves healing made it super sensitive.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

For the record, I don't think Derick has "a problem." I think he has a lot of pain resulting from his mangled surgery, and as a result doesn't eat much and lost a ton of weight. I think the beard, bandana and long hair is his way of "going native." As others noted, it's possible the change is deliberate to show some individuality amongst a sea of khaki pants, Polos and helmet hair.

As for Jill, I don't believe she wants to stay in Danger America. She doesn't have the confidence or the skills to function outside her bubble. There's no Sister-Moms to pick up the slack and she's faltering. I think she'd be more than happy to see Derick go back to the cubicle farm so she could spend her days at the TTH with her siblings.

I think you nailed the Jilly side of things.  Muffy wants to go home for the reasons you mentioned and Derick doesn't. I would think if Jill ate her meals in the bathroom, she'd want no part of being in the midst of the Duggar family scrum every meal time.

Certainly, Jilly was reminded by Boob that Derick is her headship so she has to do what he wants...end of story. The longer she stays away, the more successful the deprogramming will be...I'm sure Derick is trying to help her escape and knows it will be a long process. Small steps...baby steps...I'm sure she's realizing Boob has been wrong about a good many things, but she's having a hard time dealing with that.

• Love 2

If one or more of the Duggars are visiting a lot, and Jill and Derick have a small part in Counting On, Jill is still part of the Duggar mentality. Derick has been drinking the koolaid long enough. Running away from their problems aka her family does not solve the problem. I think they both need professional help, but they seem to think pretending to be helping the heathens in another country will solve their problems. Denial city!!!

(edited)

I think Derick might be on painkillers, which i can understand because it appears he had a very rough and painful surgery.  I am not gleefully saying he is addicted to anything or being snarky.  I'm actually concerned that this guy is OK. 

To me, Derick does not look well at all. Emotionally or physically. Pretty drastic appearance change for a MISSIONARY.  Don't forget, he is not some college graduate who is backpacking across Central America, finding himself.  He is a MISSIONARY who comes from a pretty strict background, married to a Duggar girl and is a father...on TV and on TV representing Christianity (we might not agree they are but they think they are). The other SOS missionaries do not look like dirty hippies...this is Derick way out there by himself. It's bizarre for the Baptist culture and religion...very bizarre. 

Maybe because I was raised in as a Fund Baptist and was one for so many years, I see this as such erratic and insane behavior that he must be out of his freaking mind. I suspect I see it as so much worse because I have been in and around Fundamentalist Baptists and his appearance is considered straight from the devil. And Derick knows it. If I know it, then he knows it.  And he is doing it anyway.

Why? If he is rebelling, then why stay with the Funds and continue the SOS mission? It doesn't make sense to me at all...which is why I think there is a problem going on. 

I really hope he is fine. I'm just writing some of my thoughts and sharing.  No snark on this one. ;)

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I think you nailed the Jilly side of things.  Muffy wants to go home for the reasons you mentioned and Derick doesn't. I would think if Jill ate her meals in the bathroom, she'd want no part of being in the midst of the Duggar family scrum every meal time.

I keep seeing the mentions of Jill eating in the bathroom, where was this mentioned?

5 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I keep seeing the mentions of Jill eating in the bathroom, where was this mentioned?

Jill mentioned in a TH that she used to eat in the bathroom as a child so her siblings wouldn't steal her food. I think all those spreads they put out during the early specials were just for show. Hoarding food is not normal behavior if you live in a household where there's plenty to go around.

• Love 8

You're right Marigold, none of this makes sense, unless there's a new trend in Fundy Christianity that nobody is aware of. Perhaps they want to start a new trend...changing their image to broaden their appeal? Somehow I doubt that since Fundys pride themselves in setting themselves apart from the world.

I think Derick is trying to stay in CA to keep distance between him and Boob. He seems somewhat independent from his own family, so maybe he's trying to cut the umbilical from Jill. Time and distance...

• Love 2

You can take Jill away from the Duggars, but you cannot take the Duggar out of the girl. In the case of Derick, he did not seem to mind his in-laws too much while he was courting, getting all the attention on television, a nice new house, and a few other perks, but the truth came out about Josh, and he wants to go into hiding. Sorry Derick, but you should have use some common sense before hooking up with Jill. Do I feel bad for him? Yes in some ways, but he wanted his cake and eat it too. Too little, too late. If he and Jill are not happy, they have themselves to blame.

26 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

You're right Marigold, none of this makes sense, unless there's a new trend in Fundy Christianity that nobody is aware of. Perhaps they want to start a new trend...changing their image to broaden their appeal? Somehow I doubt that since Fundys pride themselves in setting themselves apart from the world.

I think Derick is trying to stay in CA to keep distance between him and Boob. He seems somewhat independent from his own family, so maybe he's trying to cut the umbilical from Jill. Time and distance...

Can't be a new trend because none of the other SOS pictures have the dirty hippie thing going on...and neither do any of the "dangerous people" they are photographed with. 

The whole thing is bizarre for a Baptist missionary...which is why it interests me. 

• Love 4

My daughter is a "missionary" in Nicaragua, Marigold.  Her husband is a BIG dude. He shaves his head every day and wears a big long scraggly Duck Dynasty beard.  IMO, he's quite scary looking, and if I were a Nicaraguan, I would run from him in terror.  (In fact, I'm NOT Nicaraguan, and I STILL run from him in terror).  He's a little older than Jerrick, but I think it's just a phase.  I sincerely hope it's just a phase.  I heard that sometimes the Nicaraguan people yell "OBL!" when he goes past.

i think DDD is fine.  When they were in Nepal, Jill picked on her dad for not being willing to at least try the local food, and she and Derrick ate it with gusto.  But maybe the food in Danger has been a challenge.  Or maybe he's just naturally skinny (which I suspect is true).  I'm giving them the benefit of doubt.  I really think they're fine.  She's probably homesick, and he probably has to deal with that quite a bit.  Overall, I think they're doing ok.  Iz sure isn't missing any meals.  That kid's a horse!

i will say this - in that pic of them standing outside, derricks expression says he's OVER IT.  I think if J&M were MY in laws, I could bother to perk up my face in a pic either!  Their thought bubbles all say "Say CHEEEEESE!!!" And his thought bubble says "Go HOME!!!!"

• Love 4
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

In this picture his left eye looks swollen and red. Much like I remember my kids' eyes looking back in the day when they had pink eye. In a couple other pictures around this same time the same eye looks a bit funky. 

12717107_1708760956027814_2128207148_n.j

Hm. I guess I've been incredibly unlucky with pinkeye, in that case - then again I'm an adult who gets pinkeye at least every couple of years so I guess unlucky was a given. Mine always look way worse than that until after a couple days of eyedrops.

14 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

My daughter is a "missionary" in Nicaragua, Marigold.  Her husband is a BIG dude. He shaves his head every day and wears a big long scraggly Duck Dynasty beard.  IMO, he's quite scary looking, and if I were a Nicaraguan, I would run from him in terror.  (In fact, I'm NOT Nicaraguan, and I STILL run from him in terror).  He's a little older than Jerrick, but I think it's just a phase.  I sincerely hope it's just a phase.  I heard that sometimes the Nicaraguan people yell "OBL!" when he goes past.

i think DDD is fine.  When they were in Nepal, Jill picked on her dad for not being willing to at least try the local food, and she and Derrick ate it with gusto.  But maybe the food in Danger has been a challenge.  Or maybe he's just naturally skinny (which I suspect is true).  I'm giving them the benefit of doubt.  I really think they're fine.  She's probably homesick, and he probably has to deal with that quite a bit.  Overall, I think they're doing ok.  Iz sure isn't missing any meals.  That kid's a horse!

i will say this - in that pic of them standing outside, derricks expression says he's OVER IT.  I think if J&M were MY in laws, I could bother to perk up my face in a pic either!  Their thought bubbles all say "Say CHEEEEESE!!!" And his thought bubble says "Go HOME!!!!"

That's interesting about your daughter! Very nice! 

But is your daughter a Baptist fundamentalist missionary? For that culture, Derick's clothing is so bizarre. Either rebllious or crazy...either which are trouble for Jim Bob.  Derick knows what he looks like to Fund Baptists and he doesn't care. Jill certainly knows.  Four years ago, if jill saw a guy dressed like Derick, she would've crossed the street and looked down. 

Some other denomination? I think people wear what is comfortable for the weather and easy to wash etc. Derick looks unwell/thin but possibly OK in a typical American culture. His clothes aren't shocking to me...we see that look all the time.  These folks are not in a typical American culture...his clothing choice is either a major fuck you or he is having some type of crisis. 

Well, time will tell...what's really going on with Derick in Danger America!!! 

• Love 3

Derick's look does have quite a bit to do with comfort...in fact it's no doubt its primary objective. The climate in most Latin American countries is oppressively hot and humid. 

Shorts are definitely more sensible as long as one uses plenty of mosquito repellent.  Jill could wear loose capris or culottes or even gaucho pants. The dresses the indigenous people wear are colorful and quite modest. Natives tend to be in tune with how to be comfortable in their climate.

I don't find a man in polo or Tshirt with shorts and sandals "scruffy" as long as:

• He's recently showered
  • His clothes are clean
  • Clean shaven or well groomed facial hair
  • His clothes are not ill fitting
  • Hair of any length should be clean
  • Feet look well cared for
  • Clean fingernails and toenails 
  • Any dew rags, headbands, or hats are clean

Derick's likely not into all of that, and maybe he doesn't care or Muffy likes him like that. That kind of heat and humidity really saps a person. They basically live in a rainforest climate. 

Though I'd take a South Texas summer any day over bone chilling cold, I've taken to retreating indoors for the most part from May until mid September, usually waiting until nearly sundown to shop.

• Love 3

Maybe Jill's snarky remark about not knowing "how" they were going to have another child was a dig at Derick over their lack of a sex life.

I brought this over from the Duggars in the Media thread.

This made me think about Jill's comment about "my room." Perhaps they are sleeping in seperate rooms. When it's hot and humid, sleeping next to someone else can be miserable. Derick may be having pain and not sleeping well, and Jill may be getting up at night to care for Izzy.

I do think, though, that Jill would never intentionally out that bit of news. I agree with the poster who said that when Jill says she doesn't know "how" she meant she didn't know if God would give them another "blessing" or if God would drop a blond haired, blue eyed Central American child into their laps for them to adopt.

• Love 2

CMR ,

Could be any of those things. Perhaps the concern over Zika has delayed their wish for another baby. Maybe Jill has some female troubles she's dealing with. We don't really know. They seemed to allude to a possible miscarriage after Izzy.  Don't remember where I saw that but I imagine she's not ready to talk about it if that actually happened. 

For people we all find incredibly boring, we are all oddly curious about them.  For me, I'm waiting for at least one or more of them to break free from this cult of St. Looney Up the Cream Bun and Jam!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Jill and Derrick aren't missionaries.

Neither is my daughter.  It's not nice, and it's not pretty, and I am not proud.  They don't have any discernible "mission".  Much like Jerrick.  The thing Jerrick does, where they entertain and guide kids on summer mission trips?  My daughter and SIL (OBL) do that too.  Being on a mission field does not a missionary make.  Maybe Jerrick is more productive.  I hope so.

Marigold, my daughter and OBL identify with Southern Baptists.  I am SB as well, and as a rule, we are not fundy at all any more.  We've changed since I was a kid, that's for sure.  The SIL was a youth pastor in a local SBC before they left.  My daughter, however, tends to lean more fundy.  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Neither is my daughter.  It's not nice, and it's not pretty, and I am not proud.  They don't have any discernible "mission".  Much like Jerrick.  The thing Jerrick does, where they entertain and guide kids on summer mission trips?  My daughter and SIL (OBL) do that too.  Being on a mission field does not a missionary make.  Maybe Jerrick is more productive.  I hope so.

Marigold, my daughter and OBL identify with Southern Baptists.  I am SB as well, and as a rule, we are not fundy at all any more.  We've changed since I was a kid, that's for sure.  The SIL was a youth pastor in a local SBC before they left.  My daughter, however, tends to lean more fundy.  

I'm sure there's many ways to serve on the mission field and make a difference without calling oneself a missionary.  One doesn't need to be a full fledged missionary to be of service to others.

Maybe Jill and Derick would not have had such a backlash if they hadn't called themselves missionaries and grifting. No doubt the nonprofit was Boobs idea for another tax shelter. Boob is the ultimate grifter...not surprised he taught his kids the art of grifting so well.

• Love 1

Her love for nations and because she realizes the worldwide need for Christ. Her desire to seek and summit to God's will. Lives for the Lord and her desire to live her life for him. Her love for her family and others. Her love and respect for her parents. Her open-mindedness. She cooks delicious things. All of things are before her love and care for her son. Seriously!!!

5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Her daily companionship. 

Isn't that kind of a stretch? They're married. She's supposed to be there daily.

Methinks he should have just done a Top Ten list.

• Love 4

I think that this is one of those Gothard "marriage tips." There was a time fairly early in the marriage where Jill seemed to be unhappy, and then there was a post on social media where she made a list of things that she admired about Derick. I don't think it's any coincidence that this popped up on facebook when JB and J'chelle were in town.

I find it a bit sad that at least half of his list is Jesus related. I would think (hope) that most people who had been married less than 2 years could find 25 nice things to say about each other without re-wording the same bit about "she's a religious nut, too!" over and over again.

• Love 17
(edited)

Dear Derick, 

this is what the list looks like to me Let's substitute Christian Gawd obsession with another one. 

1. Her love for pickles and desire to live her life for them. 

4. Her pickle centred convictions.

6. Her love for the nations and ????? the worldwide need for pickles

11. Her desire to seek and submit to pickles will.

14. Her pickling example to her siblings. 

20. Her diligence in studying pickles word.

21. Her example to younger women of what it means to fear pickles. 

23. Her spiritual maturity and continued growth in pickles

Derelict is your wife like a cardboard cut out. Not even a pop up book? She has no depth that even her husband can find? Way to go Duggs, Also, haha creativity, open mind, sense of humour and cooking delicious things, I thought Smuggs was the used car salesman? 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

Well, there's this...

How pwecious.

Hey, Triple D, just a hint from someone who's been married for 23 years and lives in the real world. You know -- that mysterious place in which it is not necessary to document every damn thing about one's private life in photographic form and post it so millions can take a look.

There are some things in life (and in marriage) that should remain between the couple in question. You just posted one of them. Of course I'm sure you think this increases your godly bonafides, but to those who've been married or in a primary relationship for a while, it looks desperate and self-promoting. Or are you showing off for the in-laws?

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Her daily companionship makes her sound like she is a pet (no offense to our furry and other beloved non-human family members.)

Maybe it should have been worded "Her constant companionship" to better fit their situation.

• Love 10

this is what the list looks like to me Let's substitute Christian Gawd obsession with another one. 

You're no fun. I substituted dirty words for genitalia instead, and had a good laugh.

• Love 4

Or are you showing off for the in-laws?

Oh hell yes.  Mr Playing at Missionary is giving a big ole finger to the those of us websters that are unholy doubting Thomas types.  Do you think he prefers grape kool aid or cherry?

• Love 3

Actually, i may be in the minority, but I found it rather sweet.  Wives want to be appreciated and many wives would have been happy to get a list of 5 things.  Publishing it for all to see.  Touché ... I guess we just got FU-ed.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, NikSac said:

Maybe it should have been worded "Her constant companionship" to better fit their situation.

Translation: "Because you cling to me like a barnacle and when you stare at me, you look like a cocker spaniel that just peed on the floor."

• Love 14

The list is a nice idea. It's a lot of God stuff but if that's what you're into, that's great for them. At least they seem to like the same qualities.

However, I feel this is private and should remain personal between a couple. 

And, he might be showing off for Jim Bob and Michelle, which is no bueno. 

Wonder if Derick has a secret "hey, hey, hey" list that he just wrote for the two of them? ;)

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Marigold said:

The list is a nice idea. It's a lot of God stuff but if that's what you're into, that's great for them. At least they seem to like the same qualities.

However, I feel this is private and should remain personal between a couple. 

And, he might be showing off for Jim Bob and Michelle, which is no bueno. 

Wonder if Derick has a secret "hey, hey, hey" list that he just wrote for the two of them? ;)

One can only hope. Because this list is so generic. Sweet for what it is, I guess, but there's very little in there (other than a child) which suggests any really intimate relationship let alone passion. Not that I need or want to be privy to this hypothetical list, I'd just like to think that there was more between them.

• Love 2