Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Why on earth would anyone go on a mission to a country that is so Christian it's name is essentially "Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior".  I really want these two to grow some balls and try and convert ISIS.  What are they afraid of?  They have been very clear that God loves them more than anyone.

There seems to be a theory that they're not so much hunting unchurched people as Roman Catholics, who make up the majority of tne population. Some factions of the Church did not cover themselves with glory during the recent unpleasantness, and there are denominations - evangelicals and Mormons - who see that as an opportunity. Jill's missionary group is apparently about that.

• Love 2

Absolutely astonished that a midwife doesn't need to go to a University and get a BSc Nursing first. What a farce!

The one midwife I knew was a registered nurse in Cleveland and it took her iirc quite awhile to become a midwife.     It was many years ago so I don't remember details except that she worked hard and it was not easy to accomplish.   

So, besides the two vacations they already took, a language certification that lasted a week and a Pistol Pete gyration dance, they did jack shit.   Well, the stuff they did was shit too.

They need to be STOPPED.      

• Love 6

BTW, CNM's (certified nurse midwives) are an entirely different, well trained and licensed, profession.  CPM's are many, many rungs below them in the quality and extent of their training.

I just want to reiterate this point for those who aren't familiar with midwifery and think all midwives are the crock of incompetence Jill is promoting. Becoming a CNM is a huge undertaking. It's a graduate program with intense studies, training, experience etc. They are licensed and legal in every state in the US many with hospital privileges. All have the training, licensing, and experience to get hospital privileges, some simply choose not to and work with OBs for homebirth/birth center transfers. In fact many CNMs do only hospital births. If Anna had stayed in DC she would have delivered with CNMs. In many other 1st world countries the vast majority of pregnancy/births are managed by CNMs. 

• Love 10

There seems to be a theory that they're not so much hunting unchurched people as Roman Catholics, who make up the majority of tne population. Some factions of the Church did not cover themselves with glory during the recent unpleasantness, and there are denominations - evangelicals and Mormons - who see that as an opportunity. Jill's missionary group is apparently about that.

I wonder if they discussed this with their good buddy Rick Santorum.  

• Love 3

I wonder if they discussed this with their good buddy Rick Santorum.

Who, ironically enough, was militantly on the side of the faction which did not cover itself with glory. As were pretty much everybody the Duggars support.

Edited by Julia

I think that's already happened. Joshgate II derailed the money train.

What I meant was Jill specifically needs to be exposed about this midwifery thing.      I do think that now it seems some of their strongest supporters are bailing so that is a good sign.

• Love 2

So, besides the two vacations they already took, a language certification that lasted a week and a Pistol Pete gyration dance, they did jack shit.   Well, the stuff they did was shit too.

They need to be STOPPED.

Where can I donate to this fine cause?
  • Love 1

"I am so proud of all the hard work she has put in over the years to prepare to be a midwife. As it should be in all Christian’s lives, she is using this skill as a means to an end, and that end being the spread of the message of the greatest love story ever told, that is, the work of Jesus Christ upon the cross so that all people who believe what he said and choose to make him the Lord* of their life will enjoy life with him forever in paradise. "

I agree with everyone here that 1) people in Central America don't need to be "converted" to Christianity 2) there is something very shady about the Dillards financials and 3) Jill has, at best, the skills to assist a trained mid-wife, 4) and the sentiments about a "means to an end" is creepy.

I did want to point out, though, the this statement is almost radical in her  world. Derick is "proud" of Jill, and he is proud of her for learning something, not just for pushing out a baby. Think of TFDW, or Josh, or JB who have all made statments of admiration for their wives, but they ALL revolve around "she's a great mom." Since leaving the shadow of JB's "umbrella," Jill has gone to Language School and is studying something.

Leaving Arkansas was the best thing that ever happened to Jill, and I hope they return to CA asap.

ETA: Removed multiple posts.

Edited by cmr2014
  • Love 7

I have to say that I find this part of Derick's update super creepy:

"I am so proud of all the hard work she has put in over the years to prepare to be a midwife. As it should be in all Christian’s lives, she is using this skill as a means to an end, and that end being the spread of the message of the greatest love story ever told, that is, the work of Jesus Christ upon the cross so that all people who believe what he said and choose to make him the Lord* of their life will enjoy life with him forever in paradise. "

So, Jill isn't becoming a midwife to help mothers and babies? She's becoming a midwife as a means to an end to proselytize about Jesus? Will she only accept converted clients or attempt to convert them in between contractions? Oy. 

This is down right scary, If you're gonna deliver my baby, deliver my baby. If you're gonna deliver my pizza, deliver my pizza. If you do either of those things with the intent to question my spirituality, I might have to punch you.

Please tell me that Derick didn't realize the message he was sending was offensive.

• Love 21

I have to say that I find this part of Derick's update super creepy:

So, Jill isn't becoming a midwife to help mothers and babies? She's becoming a midwife as a means to an end to proselytize about Jesus? Will she only accept converted clients or attempt to convert them in between contractions? Oy. 

This sounds like donor speak. He isn't speaking to us, as we aren't paying the bills. Everything they do is about Jesus, pay up.

Jill and Derrick have tapped into a way to finance themselves and play God in developing or poor countries.

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 6

I'm starting to understand why so many of these fundies have missionary as a career goal.  It's quite the racket and I'm surprised any of these supporters have a cent left in their pockets after supporting churches, TV preachers, missionaries, politicians, etc.  My mother the Republican was one of their marks for the longest time until we took control of her mail.  Fortunately she could afford her many, many $10 donations.

I guess Jim Boob is hoping for many offspring with servant's hearts (and public speaking skills).

ETA:  Now I see why it would be so helpful to get rid of those pesky government safety net programs.  More work (and more money) for helping the downtrodden in the name of Jesus.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 7

What I meant was Jill specifically needs to be exposed about this midwifery thing.      I do think that now it seems some of their strongest supporters are bailing so that is a good sign.

Radar Online is always looking for stories.

• Love 2

Don't worry, it works for all Duggars, not just Derick. ;)

csuwfsX.gif

I love this!!! I'm sure I will regret asking but where can I find the video of the "mime conversion" act? I would also like to thank all of the old timers on this board who have been so gracious to all of us Johnny come latelys who crashed here after the scandal.

• Love 8

Great discussion on what Derick was trying to say, but damn, I got mired down in trying to read this hot mess of a grammatical nightmare. I recently taught developmental reading & English at a community college for 5 years, and this is the kind of crap writing that hurt my head. Sometimes, I'd just stop reading, and write "try again." This is definitely one of those. Just another issue in a long list of issues these people have.

100% agree. Derick's posts are headache-inducing for me too. I have to say, I'd love a peek at his high school & college transcripts. I don't think we're talking Dean's List here, people. At this point, I'm just hoping his math grades are significantly better than his English/verbal/language grades are. If not, I'm signing up for the theory submitted by another poster - that he was "let go" by WalMart because he's just not very skilled in accounting either.

• Love 7

If not, I'm signing up for the theory submitted by another poster - that he was "let go" by WalMart because he's just not very skilled in accounting either.

That was a once in a lifetime job for someone like Derick, who doesn't live in the big city. Thanks, Jill.

On another note, who takes month long vacations to "take care of a few things"? That was the lamest excuse ever. So they have September off, CA in October, then back in the US for Babyessa in November?

• Love 8

How can she get certified in Guatemala when she can't even speak fluent Spanish? I'm wondering if this is just another angle to solicit donations.

Plus the Duggars can refer to Jill as a certified midwife - without all that pesky additional training and study that would be required in the US. Not the whole truth, but a truth nonetheless - their specialty. Suddenly, I'm starting to picture a lot more Duggars in the missionary business as time goes on. Goes right along what with I believe Boob's credo must be. "Sure beats working for a living..."

• Love 7

The one midwife I knew was a registered nurse in Cleveland and it took her iirc quite awhile to become a midwife.     It was many years ago so I don't remember details except that she worked hard and it was not easy to accomplish.   

They need to be STOPPED.      

When you look at the number of people who've gone down there enjoying their mission-cations, though -- in all those group photos the Dills have displayed and the people who've commented on those photos on their instagrams about taking similar trips -- it seems pretty clear to me that this brand of missionarying may well be becoming more popular rather than less so. I can't imagine it stopping anytime soon.

And I think the midwife stuff is really just another Duggar fantasy cum cover-for-missioncation-life. I have a hard time seeing Jill even finishing the preparation for being a CPM. And CPMs, while they can be just people who irrationally hate science or the medical system, can be good, just as holistic medicine people and so on can be good. There is room for people in health care outside of the medical establishment, and that may be especially true in less developed back-country regions. Those kinds of health care get a bad rap because plenty of charlatans and anti-science nutcases take them up, but it's possible to do them in a responsible and helpful way. No Duggar is likely to do so, though, because Duggars are uneducated and lazy.

This is down right scary, If you're gonna deliver my baby, deliver my baby. If you're gonna deliver my pizza, deliver my pizza. If you do either of those things with the intent to question my spirituality, I might have to punch you.

Please tell me that Derick didn't realize the message he was sending was offensive.

I believe they think they're saving the world by means of these messages. .... I think they're sincere in that. But I think it comes from a combination of arrogance and ignorance, both of which their particular brand of religion seems to promote. I wish something would wake them up and spur them to examine whether their beliefs about these things are valid because, aside from being dyed-in-the-wool grifters, I do think both Jill and Derrick kind of mean well. But I doubt it'll ever happen in the cocoon of like-minded people (and like-minded con artists) they live in.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

I wonder though, what exactly do Derick and Jill think they're going to accomplish? From my experience, Latin Americans devotion to the Vatican would put most of us Irish Catholics to shame. There's no way in hell they're going to "convert" enough numbers to make the expense worth it. I'm sure most of the locals at the mission just smile and nod to get the free candy and are right back at Mass on Sunday.

• Love 13

How can she get certified in Guatemala when she can't even speak fluent Spanish?

She sure can speak fluent Spanish...just like JB! She received SOTDRT Language Training. You just add an "o" to the end of your regular words, and speak S-L-O-W-L-Y AND LOUDLY. "You-o having-o a baby-o?" See? I speak fluent Spanish, too-o!

• Love 8

Don't worry, it works for all Duggars, not just Derick. ;)

csuwfsX.gif

Don't do it with Jim Bob. The poor child might have a stroke.

I wonder though, what exactly do Derick and Jill think they're going to accomplish? From my experience, Latin Americans devotion to the Vatican would put most of us Irish Catholics to shame. There's no way in hell they're going to "convert" enough numbers to make the expense worth it. I'm sure most of the locals at the mission just smile and nod to get the free candy and are right back at Mass on Sunday.

Don't you think that J and D are probably as ignorant of that as they are of a lot of other things? They're really just followers, I think.

So they're following somebody who may know this but enjoy having his little crusade and money-pot going anyway, or some sort of nutty person who truly thinks he can engage in a war for the world against the Catholics (and any other non-fundie church that shows up). And, actually, on paper at least, conservative Protestants have made surprising inroads in Latin over the past few decades. Of course those numbers, like most religion-head-count numbers, may be inflated and count as converts people who go back to doing whatever they did before as soon as the converters leave. But there does seem to be some shift because of these hard efforts.

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/11/13/religion-in-latin-america/

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

From my experience, Latin Americans devotion to the Vatican would put most of us Irish Catholics to shame. There's no way in hell they're going to "convert" enough numbers to make the expense worth it. I'm sure most of the locals at the mission just smile and nod to get the free candy and are right back at Mass on Sunday.

El Salvador's population is a little diffierent.  Due to the civil war, extreme poverty, etc., there are a lot of people who are 'Catholic' in their cultural associations but who don't practice the faith.  Many have no contact since they were baptized as infants.  They don't have the religious instruction haven't received the other Sacraments, don't attend services, etc.  Most of these folks are not religious at all and they are the ones mainly being targeted by the fundamentalist Christians.  There is a small percentage of devout Catholics who practice their faith on an ongoing basis, but many, if not most, of those who are Catholic by heritage have little contact with the Church.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3

100% agree. Derick's posts are headache-inducing for me too. I have to say, I'd love a peek at his high school & college transcripts. I don't think we're talking Dean's List here, people. At this point, I'm just hoping his math grades are significantly better than his English/verbal/language grades are. If not, I'm signing up for the theory submitted by another poster - that he was "let go" by WalMart because he's just not very skilled in accounting either.

Throwing this one out here: If derickdillard was all that and a bag of chips, his former employer would have done their best to work out some type of solution -- FMLA or some other mutually-agreeable fix to his immediate issues so he could keep his job. He returned from paternity leave something like two days after the news about Smuggar molesting his four sisters broke. One can only imagine what was happening at their house (and at the TTH) at the time. I'm also sure he walked into his boss' office and asked for more time off, which made them finally cut him loose.

It's also hard to imagine that his co-workers were entirely thrilled with the circus that came with him: Media most likely calling his desk during business hours, his "shooting schedule", the fact his wife could not stand eight hours a day without him and showed up in the cafeteria for lunch with him every day... We should also consider that he took time off for the wedding, the honeymoon, a paternity leave and assorted other time off in his first year of employment. It was only going to get worse. Therefore, buh-bye and the verbiage about "another employer" was written by a PR person.

derickdillard and Jilly Muffin don't seem to realize that the vast majority of the population does not live like her parents do, either. They're required to work at a job to survive. One has to wonder what will happen when the mission field isn't an alternative for them anymore. Considering the fact that more "mainstream" publications are exposing the fundraising, etcetera, one has to imagine that day might come sooner than later.

I might also add that anyone familiar with Jilly Muffin's behavior while in labor would not be interested in her midwifery services. She either has an ego the size of the Grand Canyon or was so uninformed that she and her baby were in serious trouble and was so wedded to her ideology that she refused to get professional help. She is damn lucky they both lived through the experience.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 12

That was a once in a lifetime job for someone like Derick, who doesn't live in the big city. Thanks, Jill.

On another note, who takes month long vacations to "take care of a few things"? That was the lamest excuse ever. So they have September off, CA in October, then back in the US for Babyessa in November?

My theory: They're not really leaving. What would be the point? They're not staying there over Christmas. They're telling people they're going back in "a month", and then we'll be treated to a Blessed Announcement of the Most High Risk Pregnancy Known to Mankind. In other words, they won't be ABLE to leave, Jilly Muffin can't take her test, they'll continue to "learn Spanish", please send money, bla bla bla.

And there will be another People exclusive cover. Go ahead, bet me.

• Love 12

No bet. How long can you be 'nobodies' and still get a People cover? It's weirdly fascinating.

You know she'll save her pregnancy announcement for the day after Jessa delivers. Hell, five minutes after Jessa delivers.

• Love 7

No bet. How long can you be 'nobodies' and still get a People cover? It's weirdly fascinating.

You know she'll save her pregnancy announcement for the day after Jessa delivers. Hell, five minutes after Jessa delivers.

But why go to the effort when she can just say that Jessa's delivery made her nostalgic and post 200 pictures of Israel's big day?

• Love 15

My theory: They're not really leaving. What would be the point? They're not staying there over Christmas. They're telling people they're going back in "a month", and then we'll be treated to a Blessed Announcement of the Most High Risk Pregnancy Known to Mankind. In other words, they won't be ABLE to leave, Jilly Muffin can't take her test, they'll continue to "learn Spanish", please send money, bla bla bla.

ITA with this!

And she sooo would post would 200 pictures of Izzy the day after Jessa has her baby.

• Love 1

I believe they think they're saving the world by means of these messages. .... I think they're sincere in that. But I think it comes from a combination of arrogance and ignorance, both of which their particular brand of religion seems to promote. I wish something would wake them up and spur them to examine whether their beliefs about these things are valid because, aside from being dyed-in-the-wool grifters, I do think both Jill and Derrick kind of mean well. But I doubt it'll ever happen in the cocoon of like-minded people (and like-minded con artists) they live in.

I agree with this.  Many christians feel this way and truly believe they are called to bring the "truth" to others, forgetting the part about helping others with no strings attached.  I too hope they are exposed  to others brand of Christianity and as they mature they can loosen up and be more open minded.   I don't know why, but I do still have hope for them.  I will probably be disappointed but someday I just know one of those Duggar kids will make a break.  

• Love 5

Due to the fact that Dillard Family Ministries is a 503C tax-exempt organization, will their records be routinely reviewed by the IRS? How would the IRS view them (presumably) using donations to pay for flights home, personal housing, etc.?  

Edited by Guest

If I was going into labor in El Salvador and my choices for people to attend the birth were Jill or some local woman who has delivered several of the village's children, I'm going to take the local midwife.

I wouldn't necessarily have said this before Jill gave birth to Izzy and how she handled that situation. That was all the advertisement I needed for how Jill would handle a birth - it would be all about her, not about the baby. Even with her own baby it was about trying to do it all herself. And if you can't do a good job with your own health and that of your own child, I'm not letting you near me.

I am sure there are some great non-nurse midwives out there, but I'm not confident Jill will ever be one. I really wish that Derrick would encourage her to take online core classes at a community college as well as her prerequisites for nursing school. She could work on a mother-baby floor assisting nurse midwives and providing postpartum care. If she wanted, she could eventually become a certified nurse midwife. It just seems that Jill would be more marketable as a missionary if she was a registered nurse (she could provide/aide with all sorts of care in the mission field besides births) or even a licensed practical nurse. Derrick has some real world experience. He'd probably be more likely to put this together than Jill.

(My son was delivered by a fantastic certified nurse midwife. She also did most of my prenatal care and my postpartum check-up. I had complications from the birth but it was not due to anything the nurse midwife did or didn't do. And another nurse midwife who relieved her on the mother/baby floor a few hours after the birth caught was going on when she checked on me and before it got any worse, thank goodness.)

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 4

It's not just on paper. I'm married to a Puerto Rican, and almost every single one of his eleven brothers and sisters got "saved" in recent years and are now all in an evangelical fundy type church in their Chicago Humbolt Park neighborhood (lots and lots of Puerto Ricans live there.)

At first I was happy they got away from drugs and gangs (a few were into that, not all of them), but it seems they just traded that in for a cult type church..which seems to take a nice big cut of all their pay, and 'encourages' them to donate things like property and vehicles to them.

My husband is the only diehard Catholic left in his family now, and they try SO hard to convert him! That's why what Jill and Derrick are doing pisses me off. They take advantage of people down and out, get THEM hooked, and then little by little suck in the rest of their families.

Which is why, even though I'm agnostic now,I still encourage my husband to go to Mass.

I know what the Catholic church is..And it's not a pyramid scheme like this place is.

(sorry this was so long, but the whole thing really gets my goat)

Great -- and awful -- story. I'd encourage him to go to Mass, too.

• Love 4

It's not just on paper. I'm married to a Puerto Rican, and almost every single one of his eleven brothers and sisters got "saved" in recent years and are now all in an evangelical fundy type church in their Chicago Humbolt Park neighborhood (lots and lots of Puerto Ricans live there.)

At first I was happy they got away from drugs and gangs (a few were into that, not all of them), but it seems they just traded that in for a cult type church..which seems to take a nice big cut of all their pay, and 'encourages' them to donate things like property and vehicles to them.

My husband is the only diehard Catholic left in his family now, and they try SO hard to convert him! That's why what Jill and Derrick are doing pisses me off. They take advantage of people down and out, get THEM hooked, and then little by little suck in the rest of their families.

Which is why, even though I'm agnostic now,I still encourage my husband to go to Mass.

I know what the Catholic church is..And it's not a pyramid scheme like this place is.

(sorry this was so long, but the whole thing really gets my goat)

I live in Chicago too and know exactly what you are talking about. I have seen many Latinos being converted out of Catholicism to evangelical fundy type or better yet Jehovah's Witness'. I too find it strange. 

• Love 5

Due to the fact that Dillard Family Ministries is a 503C tax-exempt organization, will their records be routinely reviewed by the IRS? How would the IRS view them (presumably) using donations to pay for flights home, personal housing, etc.?  

Dunno, but the IRS has been gradually strangled over the years, seems to me, as people in power seek to shield all their friends from scrutiny. So I'm not sure anything gets routinely reviewed any more. These guys are small potatoes -- which I suppose could make it either less or more likely they'll get reviewed. In any case, though, lots and lots of "charities" seem to get away with devoting only a small proportion of their funds to programs and a very large proportion to "administration," so I wonder whether the fact that everything they spend could be construed as staff salaries wouldn't allow them to do just what they're doing and still be considered law abiding.

Clear something up for me, guys. Don't you have to work FIRST - in order to have something to get a vacation FROM?? 

That's the great thing about Duggar logic, I suppose.

• Love 4

I live in Chicago too and know exactly what you are talking about. I have seen many Latinos being converted out of Catholicism to evangelical fundy type or better yet Jehovah's Witness'. I too find it strange.

Yes! The one sibling who didn't start going to this evangelical church is now a Jehovah's Witness.
  • Love 3

I am returning to Guatemala next month. Though I live few hours away from Antigua, the presence of the Dillards makes me want to head there on my first free weekend. There are always a ton of us gringos roaming around, but I still feel like they will stick out.

• Love 2

Like we've all asked before- what do Cathy & Dan think of all of this? I wonder if Cathy's husband could be the "insider family source" that's quoted in the magazine articles? If not, he should be- I would love to get his scoop on things.

• Love 6