Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

I graduated high school in 1977 and we were required to do at least two years of a language if I recall...I took four years of Spanish in high school and another year in college as an elective. At that point, if I'd had the chance or any particular drive to practice it, I'd probably have been reasonably conversant, but there was really not a whole lot of Hispanic presence in our area back then, and I never particularly sought out opportunities to use it, so, sadly, other than generally being able to get the gist of a passage of the written language, I don't have a lot left. :(

I would imagine, though that there's a good chance Derick has at least as much Spanish background after graduating college. Even if his major was in accounting, he might well have minored in Spanish, especially if he already had some interest in mission work.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix

Pickles has Derjil's anniversary shoot up on Facebook. In at least two of the pics, the right side of his mouth is drooping. That's troubling. I hope there wasn't a nerve cut during his jaw surgery.

It looks like whoever did Derick's surgery pushed his lower jaw too far back and now the upper portion overhangs and is too prominent. The bottom half of his face looks sunken in, especially from the side. I'm guessing Derick was having bite or pain issues which required the procedure, but it didn't do him any favors in the looks department.

I wonder if it was rather rushed due to the travel plans, which we know were filmed quite some time ago. Perhaps some short cuts were taken.

• Love 1

My high school required a minimum of two years of a foreign language. I had three years of Spanish. I also had one year of Spanish my freshman year in college. There were very few Hispanics in my area up until the last 15 years. Sadly I remember very little Spanish. However, I know all my nephews/ nieces were offered foreign languages in middle school. Some of them speak Spanish quite well. They are all in their 20's, so are close to Derick in age. I would guess that he also had quite a few years of Spanish.

I really think it had more to do with the Duggars having ties to Cross Church (we know Mary Duggar had ties there because of the widows banquet) and likely being known as someone who supports missions. Yes, he's a tightwad, but I'm willing to be he tithes. Supporting Derick (through a tax deductible way) seems pretty reasonable.

How good is Jill's Spanish? Her undereducated and overconfident nature reminds me of Peggy Hill.

Does it matter how sharp her language skills are really? She's going in as a white God celebrity with money.
  • Love 2
(edited)

How good is Jill's Spanish? Her undereducated and overconfident nature reminds me of Peggy Hill.

Lmfao!!!!! Like when Peggy was running for the Mrs. Arlen pageant and claimed she was fluent. One of the judges was Mexican and asked her questions in Spanish and she had no clue what he was saying to her. Spot on!

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

I don't think Jill has ever claimed to be good at Spanish, only that she felt it was important to learn if they were going to do missions there. It might also explain why Marjorie came back into their lives - she had a relationship with Jill, and Jill may have contacted the family about picking up both her and Derick's Spanish last year. This might also be the "studying" Michelle referred to in a talking head.

• Love 3

If Derrick did a B.A. they generally require a language too- so he may also have college level Spanish classes.  Chances-o are-o that-o he-o is-o better-o than-o Jim-Bob-o.  (Sorry for all you non-Spanish speakers who won't be able to read that.)

• Love 8
(edited)

I took 2 years of Spanish, graduating a very long time ago. I can (barely) get through "hola". I have such a strong accent to start with, and apparently my brain ONLY works in English. I'm strongly right handed, can't do anything with my left. I guess English nested in my left hemisphere. I have a TON of Pennsylvania Dutch speaking relatives (some of whole are down here now, for a visit), and although I've been exposed to this my entire life, I can juuuust manage to keep up in a Dutch conversation. (I can understand it, generally, would NEVER attempt to respond!).

My son, however, graduating exactly 20 years later took 4 years of French and is conversant. He never took Spanish, but works at the Atlanta airport (and is a sponge). He's picked up Spanish just from the public interaction and is fluent. Amazes me. He breaks out in Spanish with Hispanic people all the time, and I look at him every time like "Who ARE you?". He's also fluent in Spanglish, Ebonics and "ghetto". He's a crowd pleaser. The entire remainder of the family, unfortunately, has that whole "no speaky!!!" thing going on. Buncha southern rednecks.

ETA: DANG IT!!! Just realized I'm not in the prayer closet, and I believed I was. Shoot!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 7

If Derrick did a B.A. they generally require a language too- so he may also have college level Spanish classes.  Chances-o are-o that-o he-o is-o better-o than-o Jim-Bob-o.  (Sorry for all you non-Spanish speakers who won't be able to read that.)

There are two different meanings in Italian for babbo. First one, Northern Italians use it for their word for father.

Southern Italians use babbo for the word stoopid. lol 

In English Bob-o can mean stooopid father. 

• Love 4

From the IG comments. I am beginning to understand this about myself: I only go look at pics from the links so I can read the comments.

"what is she gonna do when baby #2 comes & needs emergency c section again. Then they both may die due to living in 3rd world conditions. Not to mention the baby."

After reading it about 5 times, I came to believe the poster meant "not to mention she already HAS a baby, and if she and a new baby die together, it would be more catastrophic". Sometimes the structure is so bad (usually with even worse grammar), I never quite figure out what they're trying to say at all!

• Love 3

Another anniversary pic. I guess we can be glad that her parents didn't shoehorn their way into the picture. Remember the crib picture with newborn Mackynzie? 

https://instagram.com/p/4rvYD3Lswv/?taken-by=jillmdillard

Ugh. How many times have we got to see these couples kissing? We get it -- you can kiss now, you can have sex multiple times and have litters of BABIES. Nice and subtle there, kids. It's so surreal, and special, and neat, and like, such a blessing.

Poor Izzy has to be up close and personal.

• Love 11

I correct bad grammar for a living. Just when I think I've seen it all, some leghumper surprises me with even worse grammar, syntax, or combinations of both that one could never make up! Check out the fanfic that was posted yesterday. It made my head spin.

And that's why I pretty much AVOID the comments! I need a break. LOL

• Love 8

Ugh. How many times have we got to see these couples kissing? We get it -- you can kiss now, you can have sex multiple times and have litters of BABIES. Nice and subtle there, kids. It's so surreal, and special, and neat, and like, such a blessing.

I predict Izzy will choose a life of celibacy.

Nobody in this family matures past the age of 12.

• Love 8

Well, if you said it louder and e.nun.ci.at.ed. very clearly they'd be able to pick it up. Maybe all caps and a bunch of ellipses?

• Love 2
(edited)

Lmfao!!!!! Like when Peggy was running for the Mrs. Arlen pageant and claimed she was fluent. One of the judges was Mexican and asked her questions in Spanish and she had no clue what he was saying to her. Spot on!

my favourite Peggy Hill moment:

nxm6mc.jpg

qxt47d.jpg

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3

Kokapetl, let's just hope Jill isn't going to be illegally practicing midwifery in El Salvador. The communication errors could be disastrous. Hopefully she'll stick to painting nails and chasing Derick around.

As far as Derick, he doesn't strike me as the type who can take a year or two of high school Spanish and maintain fluency. He might have basic conversational skills and padded his LinkedIn profile just like everyone else does.

• Love 3

2mphe08.jpg this is what I was talking about

Wow, did they pay a professional for these photos? I'd ask for a refund. Derick and Jill are out of focus and blurry. Both their smiles look pained. I'd love to see the outtakes.

And because this post was overly negative I'll say I think both Derick and Jill look nice. It's interesting that Derick stopped spiking his hair up the way Jill liked.

• Love 3

From the IG comments. I am beginning to understand this about myself: I only go look at pics from the links so I can read the comments.

"what is she gonna do when baby #2 comes & needs emergency c section again. Then they both may die due to living in 3rd world conditions. Not to mention the baby."

After reading it about 5 times, I came to believe the poster meant "not to mention she already HAS a baby, and if she and a new baby die together, it would be more catastrophic". Sometimes the structure is so bad (usually with even worse grammar), I never quite figure out what they're trying to say at all!

I rarely look at social media - even my own Twitter. I'm old and just forget about it. When something big happens, I'll go look to see what the people I follow [not many of them] are saying but that's about it. But I do check out the Duggar Instagrams and other media if there's a link here on the forum. This is where I began forming my theory about the leghumpers. The comments they leave are so clearly an indication - IMO at least - that a majority of them are females under the age of 30, and the rest may be over the age of 60-70 - many of whom haven't finished high school much less college. It is not the odd comment that's hard to follow - it happens a lot.

• Love 7

What is the significance of the NO in the photograph? I don't understand.

As an infant/toddler being blanket trained it was one of the words she heard most. Now, she's subconsciously spelling it in the air.
  • Love 2

I don't think it says no, I think it's just the awkward random waving of the sparkler and if I squint with one and look at it sideways it I can see the word no. But I don't think it was done on purpose.

• Love 6
Wonder if Jilly Muffin is pregnant. Maybe a 2016 baby for the new year

Ugh, that would be awful, and dangerous. I know they believe they should leave the number of children up to God, but lets hope Derrick has sense enough to have a lot of post-surgery pain and discomfort. The women in their culture may not be allowed to have headaches but the men might get away with it.

• Love 1

I correct bad grammar for a living. Just when I think I've seen it all, some leghumper surprises me with even worse grammar, syntax, or combinations of both that one could never make up! Check out the fanfic that was posted yesterday. It made my head spin.

And that's why I pretty much AVOID the comments! I need a break. LOL

I have an editor and a copy editor. I should send them both flowers. My crimes against grammar and punctuation are egregious. (It's a long story, but I have trouble with sentence structure. I've taken several grammar workshops. For some reason, my brain doesn't retain the information and it's embarrassing.) The editor and copy editor have been more than gracious to me.

I wonder if the reason why the Duggar commenters don't seem to have any meaningful grasp on the language is because they don't read.

• Love 5

Missy Vixen, do you know Fannie Flagg? She's written some hilarious novels but back in the day when she was on "Match Game" you'd have thought she was completely illiterate the way she spelled and wrote things. Her editor deserves a few medals, I'm sure.

(edited)

You guys are all literate! I agree that the problem with leghumpers is lack of decent reading material. As an English teacher, I'm always here to shovel out the literature! LOL 

Back On Topic, couldn't Derick have found a pair of jeans? His knobby legs are not attractive at all. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

I agree that Jill thinks her home life was terrific. And what hope there is for change, I really think, comes from living abroad where she HAS to make changes. And Derick will have more say because she has been taught to listen to him.

• Love 1

Missy Vixen, do you know Fannie Flagg? She's written some hilarious novels but back in the day when she was on "Match Game" you'd have thought she was completely illiterate the way she spelled and wrote things. Her editor deserves a few medals, I'm sure.

I know who Frannie Flagg is and I remember her books! I'll bet her editor was so thrilled with the writing that fixing the boo-boos wasn't that big of a deal. ;-)

My editor is a saint. ;-)

What I thought came across in the Fox News interview, is that Jill honestly believes that her parents did a good job raising children. I think she has every intention of copying the way that they ran a household. She does not realize that her parents ran a train wreck of a home. I look at poor little Iz and feel so sad. His only hope for a decent life is if his father stands up to his mother. I don't have much hope of that happening.

I think Jilly Muffin may have already discovered that no, things were not all that great for her and her siblings and her headship and new in-laws will not be pleased if she is employing some of the "Duggar methods" of child rearing such as blanket training.

JM also has much more public scrutiny than her parents did. In other words, Izzy might be better off than we think.

I've never gotten the sense that Jill would be all that into blanket training. It's something I see Jessa embracing, sure - but Jill seems softer and more nurturing. She seems more likely to drift into a "crunchy" lifestyle, to me.

When you add Derrick's influence to that, plus living in a foreign country away from all the Duggars, it will be very interesting to see how she develops as a parent.

• Love 3
(edited)

Distress signal from Derick?

. My grandson (12) studied the pic and the sparkler flame and said "obviously, in his head, that guy is saying NO!!!" Hehe!! If it's obvious to a 12 year old...

They do look a little strained, and Derick looks as though he's had enough. The shoot must have gone on for quite some time from the range of pics. When my husband gets that look, it means we should have been in the car, leaving my mom's house about an hour ago.

ETA: Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man - classic on the order of Cold Sassy Tree! I need to read that again.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 4
(edited)

I have an editor and a copy editor. I should send them both flowers. My crimes against grammar and punctuation are egregious. (It's a long story, but I have trouble with sentence structure. I've taken several grammar workshops. For some reason, my brain doesn't retain the information and it's embarrassing.) The editor and copy editor have been more than gracious to me.

I wonder if the reason why the Duggar commenters don't seem to have any meaningful grasp on the language is because they don't read.

I would bet big $$ that is EXACTLY what they can't write a coherent sentence. They don't read any in their daily lives. They aren't, and never have been, readers. Expressing yourself in writing is much easier to do intelligently when you have examples of good writing from others to help.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2