Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

For me, there are two issues that make me dubious about this missionary endeavour (especially if their destination is Nepal). 

1- Jill is a 150% Gothard and 200% Duggar girl, which in my mind makes it pretty unlikely that she's the type of missionary who's there to provide clean water and medical care (and a snowball's chance in the Sahara that she'd be willing to build schools). It makes me a little sick to think of Jill coming up to some random Nepali (or Central American) woman and blathering on about how God had laid it on Jll's hard to fellowship with her and tell her that in this season of life she should be purposing to catch as many precious blessings while keeping sweet and gazing at her headships with that pleasing full-frontal lobotomy look on her countenance. 

2- If this is going to be the basis of a TLC spin-off, it makes me really uncomfortable to think of a weekly show exploiting the lives of the kind of people who need missionary assistance. Add to that if they are going to Nepal and the TLC film crew is wasting the country's limited resources to charge their video cameras (for example) I will start to see red.

I am less cynical than most of you regarding the mission trip.  I actually visited the website where they ask for funds and requested more details about what they plan to do.  I have not contributed (nor do I plan to) but I am curious about their plans.  Regarding housing, I was a missionary in Borneo 40+ years ago and even then we had a pretty nice house...running water (hot and cold), small sink, stove and fridge, electricity (it sometimes went out), and ceiling fans.  It was not luxurious, but it was sufficient for my needs.  I don't believe that this couple will expect a typical American style home in Nepal (if that is where they are headed).  I like to think they will be willing to make some sacrifices.  And they will have wifi to communicate with friends and family.  I called home exactly twice when I was in Borneo...handwritten letters were the norm.  Anyway, I do think they are sincere and I hope that the trip will be more than just a 'preaching' trip.  It will be interesting to see what they do when they are there.

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 4

I would as well. Jill has never been overweight, but she has never been dangerously thin either. If I had to make a guess on Duggars with eating disorders I'd go with Jessa and Jinger. Jessa seems unhealthily obsessed with avoiding pregnancy weight gain and Jinger's arms are so thin they look like they'd snap like twigs.

Jill has just never seemed to care too much about her external appearance. She used to stroke her hair in the old show intro, but that's all I've ever noticed. Derick seems to have a fair amount of determination and the ability to deprive himself (Down and Out in Kathmandu), and might have gone too far himself.

I would as well. Jill has never been overweight, but she has never been dangerously thin either.

She was eating in the bathroom when she first got married, that certainly doesn't sound like healthy eating behavior to me. You don't have to be too thin or too heavy to have an eating disorder. 

• Love 5

She was eating in the bathroom when she first got married, that certainly doesn't sound like healthy eating behavior to me. You don't have to be too thin or too heavy to have an eating disorder. 

She used to eat in the bathroom pre TTH.

• Love 1

She wasn't eating in the bathroom when she first got married; she mentioned in a TH (or Derrick did) that she used to do that as a kid. I assumed it was because there was a lack of food in the Duggar household in the early years or beacuse she wanted some peace and quiet while eating sometimes.

• Love 4

I have not heard where they are going. Anyone know?

I don't think anyone knows, Jellybeans, because Jill & Derick have yet to disclose any meaningful details about their plans, other than their departure next month.

The Duggars are doing another mission trip to Central America next month, so chances are that Jill & Derick will go there, speculating, of course. They may end up in Nepal or Bengladesh for all we know.

• Love 1

To be fair to Jill, based on the invite, it looks like she didn't speak at the event, but instead showed up for the nightly gala. Seeing, being seen, signing books and autographs sort of thing.

• Love 3

To be fair to Jill, based on the invite, it looks like she didn't speak at the event, but instead showed up for the nightly gala. Seeing, being seen, signing books and autographs sort of thing.

They weren't keynote speakers during the conference but they shared at the Gala Event.  Depending what is meant by sharing it could be like what you said.

(edited)

Yes, looking at the flyer again, it could be something like this. But they definitely didn't come for free (the dinner had a separate admission from the conference). I also wonder if Mechelle wasn't originally scheduled for this booking, but backed out at some point after Joshgate hit. Lord knows, it looks like she has lost a good 15 lbs. since mid-May. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

It looked like Derick really enjoyed his time in Nepal and participated a lot in the culture.

Did he, though? Is there evidence that he did anything but eat chickpeas and enjoy them? Who/what organization was he representing in Nepal? I've never really seen anything about that. Maybe his mission was as helpful as the Duggars' mission in El Salvador (?) was. Not picking on you, antieminem, just hoping somebody can fill in the blanks.

• Love 6

If they weren't a speaking slot, and we're doing it as part of a book signing event, I'm betting they were paid a lot less than people think. "Sharing" and "Q and A's" do not pay as well as a planned speaking slot, let alone one of the main engagements, and then there is the keynote.

• Love 2

If they weren't a speaking slot, and we're doing it as part of a book signing event, I'm betting they were paid a lot less than people think. "Sharing" and "Q and A's" do not pay as well as a planned speaking slot, let alone one of the main engagements, and then there is the keynote.

Hell, even if they racked up $500 and a free meal, they'd have done it.

• Love 1
(edited)

It looks like they were the entertainment. Harp and trumpet combo.

Damn you're fast. I read the flyer after I posted and amended my remarks, all in under five minutes. :D

There were a few other people listed with the Dillards at the dinner. However, the Dillards did get top billing, so I suspect they were paid more than that former Miss America and the others. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
(edited)

Damn you're fast. I read the flyer after I posted and amended my remarks, all in under five minutes. :D

There were a few other people listed with the Dillards at the dinner. However, the Dillards did get top billing, so I suspect they were paid more than that former Miss America and the others.

I love the choice of a former Miss America. What better way to end a day discussing body image and eating disorders than a performance by somebody who made it past a swimsuit competition.

A psychiatrist once incidentally mentioned to me that he was surprised at how many of his female patients also presented with bulimia as a side issue. No psychiatrists at this event, but there were atleast 3 recording artists and the 'Fitness Angel'

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 10

ETA:I'm a failed vegan and a failed vegetarian, HundFan. Long story, not really relevant here. But yeah, I tried.

I know it's OT, but since a mod brought it up, I thought it would be safe to reply ;) I'm vegan, as you might have guessed. I could say a lot on the topic, but the short version is: I view veganism as a moral imperative (not a matter of "personal choice"). In any case, if you are interested in giving it another go, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help.

• Love 2

They should have been counseled  NOT to make Drastic life choices such as quitting your job; setting up a "business" and going overseas after have a difficult and traumatic birth experience; apparently major mouth surgery and a big family secret put out to the millions.... This should be a time of careful reflection not sudden action.

• Love 11

Did he, though? Is there evidence that he did anything but eat chickpeas and enjoy them? Who/what organization was he representing in Nepal? I've never really seen anything about that. Maybe his mission was as helpful as the Duggars' mission in El Salvador (?) was. Not picking on you, antieminem, just hoping somebody can fill in the blanks.

I don't know what his particular mission involved but he was with the International Mission Board, which I think is part of Southern Baptist Convention.  His twitter feed from his mission days don't give a lot of details but he talks often of the friends he had made in Nepal, pictures of him eating with families, trips he took to other areas of Nepal and nearby countries.   

• Love 1

From Derick's IG with Paw Paw Dillard and Izzy. 

https://instagram.com/p/4haxlEmCQi/?taken-by=derickdillard

eta:  2 (foot) feet?  Anyway, Izzy is a long one at almost 3 months.

I think that is a pretty normal length- especially for a baby his size.  My first was the exact size of Iz at birth and never looked like a typical 'baby'.  He is tall as an adult but definitely not a Shaquille O'Neal.  

I really wish Jill would stop cutting Derricks hair.  You can tell she does.  She is NOT a hairdresser.  Let him go get a decent haircut.  I have a feeling she is afraid of anyone else touching his head.  A girl could be coming on to him.  A guy might be gay.  Someone might get defrauded in the process.  Get the guy a real haircut.  

• Love 10

Here's a free tip for Derick. Direct your gaze to the subjects of the photo, in this case, PawPaw, or Palestine, and don't overdress.

Really?!? Couldn't he have been coming from church? The suit looked nice and fit him well. 

• Love 5

I love the choice of a former Miss America. What better way to end a day discussing body image and eating disorders than a performance by somebody who made it past a swimsuit competition.

A psychiatrist one incidentally mentioned to me that he was surprised at how many of his female patients also presented with bulimia as a side issue. No psychiatrists at this event, but there were atleast 3 recording artists and the 'Fitness Angel'

Well, let's see. Beauty pageant contestant and a woman who must be covered from chin to feet at all times. Maybe this was a panel on unhealthy body image?

• Love 8
(edited)

Really?!? Couldn't he have been coming from church? The suit looked nice and fit him well.

He didn't wear a suit to Izzy's dedication, why would he wear a suit to PawPaw's rest home? Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think that is a pretty normal length- especially for a baby his size.  My first was the exact size of Iz at birth and never looked like a typical 'baby'.  He is tall as an adult but definitely not a Shaquille O'Neal.  

I really wish Jill would stop cutting Derricks hair.  You can tell she does.  She is NOT a hairdresser.  Let him go get a decent haircut.  I have a feeling she is afraid of anyone else touching his head.  A girl could be coming on to him.  A guy might be gay.  Someone might get defrauded in the process.  Get the guy a real haircut.  

Except when Ben and Jessa were courting, her sisters (Joy I think)  helped their future brother-in-law with his hair. Including running their fingers through to make it spiky. 

I think if Jill is cutting Derrick's hair, it's because she thinks she's good at it and it saves money.

(People like the Duggars always need or want to save money.)

Edited by Temperance

Except when Ben and Jessa were courting, her sisters (Joy I think)  helped their future brother-in-law with his hair. Including running their fingers through to make it spiky. 

I think if Jill is cutting Derrick's hair, it's because she thinks she's good at it and it saves money.

(People like the Duggars always need or want to save money.)

I understand saving money - however, they didn't think twice about that expensive custom baby furniture.  A guy haircut is so freaking cheap compared to the price women pay.  In Honkeytonktown, AR, I'm sure he can get a haircut for the price of a triple latte - or a weekly cut for the price of gas Jill spent driving to meet him for lunch. 

• Love 8

He didn't wear a suit to Palestine's dedication, why would he wear a suit to PawPaw's rest home?

If he were coming from church to visit PawPaw (and we don't know he's in a rest home) perhaps he left the suit on. Who knows why he didn't choose a suit for Iz's dedication, I sure don't. But other than his hair looking like Shaggy's from Scooby Doo, I think he looks fine and that the suit suits him. 

• Love 2

I don't know what his particular mission involved but he was with the International Mission Board, which I think is part of Southern Baptist Convention.  His twitter feed from his mission days don't give a lot of details but he talks often of the friends he had made in Nepal, pictures of him eating with families, trips he took to other areas of Nepal and nearby countries.   

Well that sounds like a lovely vacation. Sign me up!

(edited)

To me, that's just a frugal move.

And it's pretty obvious from recent pictures that the Flowbee hasn't touched Derick's head since the birth of the Blessed Leader of Siblings. He looks like one of the Beatles c.1965. Too bad he'd never understand that cultural reference. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
(edited)

And it's pretty obvious from recent pictures that the Flowbee hasn't touched Derick's head since the birth of the Blessed Leader of Siblings. He looks like one of the Beatles c.1965. Too bad he'd never understand that cultural reference. 

OMG- laughing so hard.  Flowbee!  You have really made me laugh.  For any of you out there that don't remember, here is a short video.  Jill is TOTALLY going to want one. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 5

The ugly Beatle - Ringo.
  • Love 2