Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Though I certainly wouldn't take a picture of it, then proudly feature it on social media. 

That's the problem for me.  Posting pictures of this on social media.  I had a mom like you who kept a perfect and neat home.   I never felt comfortable there and my mom even mentioned to me and my friends how good a mom I was putting our children first.  She got better as she got older and so did I with straightening.   I would have never thought to post a picture of such a mess.  And I threw my dirty diapers away in a trash can right after changing.  

• Love 13

So Derick is claiming they left their missionary work because of a bogus contract with TLC.  I may be completely wrong about this—and if I am please correct me—but didn’t Derick claim that he and Jill were not getting paid for appearing on counting on, and that it was volunteer work? Or am I completely misremembering? If they were not getting paid I don’t see how TLC could have control over the Dillards. 

Edited by Lukeysboat
Spelling counts
  • Love 18
15 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

So Derek now claims that he and Jill quit TLC because they were in a bogus contract that prevented them from carrying out their missionary work? What missionary work did they ever have exactly? Their little venture in Danger American didn't last long and didn't seem particularly successful anyway. Not long after they returned, Derek ran off his ugly mouth and lost their TLC gig and angered the Duggar headship. Does he think he can lie about it now with impunity? I wonder what makes him think that? He's a loser, and he married a woman with no education and no apparent skills. They're stuck, and nothing is going to change that. I feel very sorry for the kids but not much for either of these two "adults."

In the Daily Mail comment section, one reader said that 60% of their time (that they were supposedly doing missionary work in CA) was actually spent in Arkansas at the big house that JB was letting them live in.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, Lukeysboat said:

So Derick is claiming they left their missionary work because of a bogus contract with TLC.  I may be completely wrong about this—and if I am please correct me—but didn’t Derick claim that he and Jill were not getting paid for appearing on counting on, and that it was volunteer work? Or am I completely misremembering? If they were not getting paid I don’t see how TLC could have control over the Dillards. 

You're not wrong. He did claim that they were not getting paid. If so, way to negotiate a contract, dude! And how are we to believe that he would be held to a contract of which he was unaware. I'm no attorney but one of the features of contracts is they are signed, no?

• Love 10

I just watched the “yucky bib” video.  Is it normal for a toddler to get THAT upset about a dirty bib and then run into a door so hard that he hurt his hands?  I may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but I’m very concerned about Sam after watching that.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I just watched the “yucky bib” video.  Is it normal for a toddler to get THAT upset about a dirty bib and then run into a door so hard that he hurt his hands?  I may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but I’m very concerned about Sam after watching that.

Jill mentioned in one of her “stories “ that Sam doesn’t like to be dirty or wear dirty clothes, so he must be in a constant upset state. She made it sound like she could care less.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

I don’t think Jill realizes that her children actually have feelings and are little human people.

She's barely in touch with her own feelings.  She doesn't acknowledge negative feelings, only happy happy feelings.  I was going to add feelings about sexy times with the thing she lives with, but I have serious doubts about how authentic that is - seems more an expression of desperation.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I think toddlers go through stages where they get really preoccupied with things like that. The good thing about it is that if he thinks things are "yucky", then someone must obviously be teaching him not to play with or ingest trash or stuff that he might pick up off the floor, etc. It can be tied to potty training as well. The fact that he's getting bent out of shape about it might either just be a stage he's going through, an indication of a very particular personality, or might mean that he gets punished too severely for making a mess. I don't see Jill as being that strict when it comes to cleanliness, but I could imagine Dreck being a bit overreactive.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Funny how when they stopped filming they didn't return to the mission field. What was stopping them then?

Derreck was studying for the LSAT while they were chilling in Danger America. I remember us discussing him following Twitter accounts about it while they were  hanging out in their nice little compound. So it’s pretty obvious he always intended to quit mission work. I wonder how Jill feels about that? She thought she was marrying a missionary for life. It’s almost like a courtship needs to be longer than three months, and feature authentic feelings, to prevent you from making a lifelong marriage mistake.

1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I was going to add feelings about sexy times with the thing she lives with, but I have serious doubts about how authentic that is - seems more an expression of desperation.

It’s all just pantomime of what a good relationship should be. At least, the way she was taught it, by two permanent mental teenagers.  I know Jill will never leave the relationship, but I do wonder how far away she is from another emotional breakdown. Derreck too honestly. 

• Love 8

What does Derelict say about his time in that ministry program? Does he just gloss over that now he’s in law school? If he was studying for the LSAT in danger America, was that always the plan? Seems like that year after they came back to Arkansas he could have been working and saving money instead of doing whatever it was he was doing with Cross Church. That cost $12,000. He seems to play fast and loose with the truth about what they are up to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

Derwood gave himself light once again. LOL! He thinks because he deletes something it's gone. Nope. Thanks to whoever that crazed Pickes gal is this old story is making the rounds AGAIN. 

Can't ya hear JB from here??? Jill is now in the closet. Crying.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

I'm sure she was delighted. Being a missionary's wife was a fantasy for her: she would hand out lollipops and religious tracts to a crowd of adoring "natives" who would immediately convert to Christianity, while singing her praises. Then she landed in Danger America and reality threw a bucket of cold water in her face. She was lonely, frightened, separated from the Duggar support system and completely unequal to the life she was now expected to live. She fled back to Arkansas at every opportunity and when Derick told her that he was done being a missionary and they were going home for good, she must have been beside herself with joy and relief.

And Jill was going to be delivering babies! 

Thank Jebus she never killed anyone as a midwife. 

• Love 6
On 9/6/2019 at 4:23 PM, galaxychaser said:

And yes D picked J because she isn’t educated and he sees her as weak and not a match to his superior intelligence. (Roll eyes)

Which is the same reason Jeremy chose Jinger and Austin chose Joy, although I think Jinger and Joy got a better deal than Jill. While all of three of the husbands will always feel superior to their wives, Jinger is happy to be shown a more sophisticated side of life than she lived as a child and Joy is satisfied with making babies and helping her Headship flip houses. Derick brings out the worst in Jill.

• Love 15
20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick claimed he "cut ties" and wasn't fired. Derick claimed they were "volunteers". Derick claimed TLC was making "tons of money" off the birth episodes, but wouldn't pay the hospital bills.

Now Derick claims TLC wouldn't let them remain as missionaries.

Funny how when they stopped filming they didn't return to the mission field. What was stopping them then?

As much as Derick talks around the truth, I mostly believe him on this. I never thought he was fired form TLC, because if he had been TLC would have said so instead of that "he hasn't been on the show in months" statement they made when they got heat over his Jazz comments. The "bogus contract" claim is obvious bullshit, because not only were they filmed in Danger America, but that contract was obviously signed before his missioncation stint, and, like you said, they didn't return to DA after they stopped filming. What I think Derick considers bogus is TLC's mandate that they don't go all in on their beliefs and political actions on air, and that that mandate extended in to his soul-saving mission work was the straw that broke the camel's back for him. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I think the big difference is that Jeremy and Austin (and Ben, too, for that matter) are basically kind-hearted young men, at least as far as their families are concerned. They may be religious fanatics and harbor abhorrent views regarding society as a whole, but they seem genuinely affectionate and tender with their wives and children. Derick, on the other hand, strikes me as a mean, miserable guy who has no problem taking out his unhappiness on other people. I'm sure that Jill and the kids have learned to tiptoe on eggshells around him, fearing his wrath. 

Sadly, that's what I see, as well. Let's hope we're wrong about Dreck, but it certainly does not appear so.

On 9/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, ozziemom said:

What does Derelict say about his time in that ministry program? Does he just gloss over that now he’s in law school? If he was studying for the LSAT in danger America, was that always the plan? Seems like that year after they came back to Arkansas he could have been working and saving money instead of doing whatever it was he was doing with Cross Church. That cost $12,000. He seems to play fast and loose with the truth about what they are up to.

Derick might have applied to law school when they got back from Danger America and not gotten in. He obviously has an overinflated sense of his own intellect, so it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if he had applied only to top tier schools and gotten rejected from all of them. His ego wouldn’t allow him to admit that, so he would have had to find something else to be doing that year while he reapplied, and the Cross Church “ministry” program would be perfect — it was a limited time commitment and would be accepted and even admired among his fellow fundies.

• Useful 6
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, lascuba said:

As much as Derick talks around the truth, I mostly believe him on this. I never thought he was fired form TLC, because if he had been TLC would have said so instead of that "he hasn't been on the show in months" statement they made when they got heat over his Jazz comments. The "bogus contract" claim is obvious bullshit, because not only were they filmed in Danger America, but that contract was obviously signed before his missioncation stint, and, like you said, they didn't return to DA after they stopped filming. What I think Derick considers bogus is TLC's mandate that they don't go all in on their beliefs and political actions on air, and that that mandate extended in to his soul-saving mission work was the straw that broke the camel's back for him. 

Derick lies about everything, so it's impossible to have a baseline of reality to project against.

I don't think he was "fired" from TLC, either. I think he stomped off in a huff when they wouldn't pay his medical bills. If anything, I think TLC liked his Jazz comments because they generated buzz around one of their shows. I think it's very possible that the crew didn't much like him, and that they avoided creating story lines around them because Derick was unpleasant, and they're not the most attractive couple in the family.

I think that the SOS missioncation was a compromise with JB once it became clear that Jill would never be able to fulfill the requirements to become a church certified missionary. I think they both hated it, but for different reasons. Derick felt like it wasn't "true" missionary work, and Jill hated being away from home. I think that he WAS fired by SOS -- they never learned Spanish, didn't win any converts, and spent most of their time in Arkansas.

I also think he was de facto fired from WalMart. He was only there a year, had his wife dripping off of him all the time, and took TONS of vacation for his wedding, birth of his child, illness of his mother, and, of course, filming. I think that WalMart gave him an ultimatum and insisted that he give up filming and come to work, and JB offered him an out by hooking him up with his SOS buddies.

I also think that @mynextmistake's theory about the Christ Church program makes sense. 

• Love 20
23 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I think the big difference is that Jeremy and Austin (and Ben, too, for that matter) are basically kind-hearted young men, at least as far as their families are concerned. They may be religious fanatics and harbor abhorrent views regarding society as a whole, but they seem genuinely affectionate and tender with their wives and children. Derick, on the other hand, strikes me as a mean, miserable guy who has no problem taking out his unhappiness on other people. I'm sure that Jill and the kids have learned to tiptoe on eggshells around him, fearing his wrath. 

That' how I've always seen him.

• Love 8
On 9/7/2019 at 2:20 PM, GeeGolly said:

Derick claimed he "cut ties" and wasn't fired. Derick claimed they were "volunteers". Derick claimed TLC was making "tons of money" off the birth episodes, but wouldn't pay the hospital bills.

Now Derick claims TLC wouldn't let them remain as missionaries.

That's where this new version falls apart for me. The Dullards parted ways with TLC 1, almost 2 years ago. If TLC was the only problem, why not reopen Dillard Ministries and head back instead of law school?

My theory: Derrick and Jill were mostly working with SOS as recruiters/camp councillors for the missioncation crew (and doing just enough dancing for Jesus, "preaching" and banana bread making to satisfy the donors). The problem started when Jill (and to a lesser extent, Derrick) started going on about how dangerous it was which, I'm guessing, started scaring off a lot of the potential clients. Luckily for everybody except the Dullards, the Gothard crew is not into martyrdom  Basically, I think SOS wanted out of Derrick and Jill what the LA seminary is getting out of Jeremy, a "hip" young person to sell their product to other young, conservative Christians. The problem is that JereMe (and maybe Jinger) have always wanted that lifestyle, but the combination of humourless Derrick and boho, naive Jill seriously lack that "it" factor. 

As for Cross Church, I'm guessing (though I feel less confident about this) that Derrick was looking for some kind of credential to be more important than "just" the public face of a missionary organization. Why that didn't seem to work and the quick switch ($12,000 later) to law is anybody's guess. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Useful 3
  • Love 13
29 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

That's where this new version falls apart for me. The Dullards parted ways with TLC 1, almost 2 years ago. If TLC was the only problem, why not reopen Dillard Ministries and head back instead of law school?

My theory: Derrick and Jill were mostly working with SOS as recruiters/camp councillors for the missioncation crew (and doing just enough dancing for Jesus, "preaching" and banana bread making to satisfy the donors). The problem started when Jill (and to a lesser extent, Derrick) started going on about how dangerous it was which, I'm guessing started scaring off a lot of the potential clients. Luckily for everybody except the Dullards, the Gothard crew is not into martyrdom  Basically, I think SOS wanted out of Derrick and Jill what the LA seminary is getting out of Jeremy, a "hip" young person to sell their product to other young, conservative Christians. The problem is that JereMe (and maybe Jinger) have always wanted that lifestyle, but the combination of humourless Derrick and boho, naive Jill seriously lack that "it" factor. 

As for Cross Church, I'm guessing (though I feel less confident about this) that Derrick was looking for some kind of credential to be more important than "just" the public face of a missionary organization. Why that didn't seem to work and the quick switch ($12,000 later) to law is anybody's guess. 

It would also not surprise me if Derick was encouraged to do the Cross Church program as a way to get him and Jill back in Arkansas and away from SOS.  As in, significantly reduced tuition and allowing the Dillards to stay in the rental for far longer than other students.  Derick strikes me as the type of straight, white man who consistently fails up.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It would also not surprise me if Derick was encouraged to do the Cross Church program as a way to get him and Jill back in Arkansas and away from SOS.  As in, significantly reduced tuition and allowing the Dillards to stay in the rental for far longer than other students.  Derick strikes me as the type of straight, white man who consistently fails up.   

I think the Cross Church gig may have been a desperation move on Derrick's part.  I think SOS Ministries had had enough of him and Jill; they were spending more time in Arkansas than in DA, Jill was a fraidy cat constantly crying online about how awful conditions were down there which was not good for business and finally, it was clear that Jill was never going to be able to do the coursework she needed for them to qualify as real missionaries and neither one of them was anywhere near fluent in Spanish after 2 years of study.  So, I think they knew when they came back to Arkansas that they weren't going back to El Salvador, that SOS wasn't going to renew their contract.

Derrick, having an overinflated sense of himself and his skills, figured they could just renegotiate their TLC contract to help pay their bills and, what with the impending blessed event; that he had leverage and would get them a sweet deal that would keep them in Chik fil A while he pretended to be setting up a mission in Arkansas or preparing to return to DA on his own or whatever.  Perhaps he had also applied to law school and had not been accepted and he needed to spin his wheels someplace while he re-applied and tried again.

Then, things with TLC fell through, Jim Bob was not amused and in no mood to help him out and he ended up going to his pals at Cross Church and begging to do something or other that he could pretend was meaningful and important since, although he was no longer on TLC or SOS' payroll;  Derrick was going to need something to brag about on social media..  Together, they came up with this plan for him to attend their ministry program for a year.  I would not be surprised if he got free or discounted tuition and if he perhaps wasn't paid some small amount for working with the youth ministry.  I think they also must've pried some of Jill's TLC proceeds out of Jim Bob's dirty paws or they wouldn't have been able to buy the house.

• Love 22
On 9/6/2019 at 7:41 PM, DawgMom said:

Ack.  What a slob.  My OCD would be all over the place standing in that space... you can do dishes while cooking. Ack, just ack.  And also, is it just me, but let's see... within easy reach of the grasp of a toddler or two: a pair of scissors in the sink, a knife on a cutting board, a knife sitting in a measuring cup... bloody hell! I need to go sit down and catch my breath, I'm freaking out over here. Oh gawd, I see how close to their reach is to the whole bloody knife set in the block holder now... {breathing in a paper bag}.  I guess I need help.

One of the reasons I am not a gourmet cook is I hate dirty dishes and like you my OCD would go nuts. I can't even stand a spot of flour on the counter. 

• Love 2

Did I miss the part where Rhea Lana's was revealed to be a consignment store? Looking at the pictures with Michelle & Jill I first thought it was a thrift shop or something. And, it's an "or something".

• Love 2

I think after Josh scandal # 2, TLC thought long and hard on how to keep the Duggars on air because they made money on them. TLC came up with, "Jill and Jessa Counting On". They quickly dropped the Jill and Jessa, and they reduced the amount of episodes and turned the show into episodes of, A Wedding Story and A Baby Story.

TLC could care less who's getting married or birthing a blessing. Between Derick acting like a star demanding extra payment and then being a bully on Twitter, TLC was like, meh, we're moving on without the Dillards.

Network TV has a history of doing the same thing with their "stars". Farrah Fawcett was on Charlie's Angels for one year. Three's Company survived without Suzanne Somers. And then we have the two Darrens on Bewitched, two Beckys on Roseanne, and the list goes on and on.

Any or all of the Duggars could be next. Watch out Jessa.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, satrunrose said:

My theory: Derrick and Jill were mostly working with SOS as recruiters/camp councillors for the missioncation crew (and doing just enough dancing for Jesus, "preaching" and banana bread making to satisfy the donors). The problem started when Jill (and to a lesser extent, Derrick) started going on about how dangerous it was which, I'm guessing, started scaring off a lot of the potential clients. Luckily for everybody except the Dullards, the Gothard crew is not into martyrdom  Basically, I think SOS wanted out of Derrick and Jill what the LA seminary is getting out of Jeremy, a "hip" young person to sell their product to other young, conservative Christians. The problem is that JereMe (and maybe Jinger) have always wanted that lifestyle, but the combination of humourless Derrick and boho, naive Jill seriously lack that "it" factor. 

I think all this could be true, and I'm convinced that law school was Cathy's ultimatum. When he was in Nepal, I'm sure she thought it was a nice thing to be doing, and acceptable for a young, single man out of college to pursue for a while. When he got engaged to Jill and started at Walmart, she probably thought he had it together, and would settle down into a "normal" life, working at Walmart for 40 years, and having some kids. She might have been slightly concerned about Jill's refusal / inability to work, and plans to have 20 kids, but she might have rightly figured that the plans would change when they figured out that wasn't practical. Or she thought the duggars made a lot more from the show than they actually do!

i'm sure she was deeply disappointed when he got fired or quit from Walmart. It probably confirmed some of her deepest fears about her son that she had been avoiding: that he's lazy and entitled, not a hard worker, that he couldn't care less about providing for his family, etc. She probably realized that no matter how they parted ways, Derick could have done better at Walmart. 

Then came SOS. I could see Cathy at least being relieved that TLC was interested in their missioncation, and not as worried about their financial situation. She might have even thought the mission was explicitly for a more interesting storyline! Even though she believes in missions, I don't see her thinking this was a long term plan. 

Then derick came back here and floundered. He insisted on doing cross church, wasting a lot of someone's money (whether it was JB's, Jill's, or Cathy's is anyone's guess), and basically getting a useless certificate. It appears that Cathy funded a lot of things for them and their grandchildren then. I could see her telling derick that she would fund a SERIOUS graduate program, which would lead to a real career, or cut him off. Since he doesn't want to pursue accounting, and didn't major in anything that would help him with medicine, the only stereotypically high paid, respected career left is law. She probably figured he had a decent shot of getting in, with his varied background experiences, and no shot of getting into other well paying graduate programs. 

And then once he got in and didn't immediately flunk out, she decided he was on the right track and helped him pay for his new house. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Useful 5
  • Love 15

Despite the intense dislike for Durwood,  the reality is having an accounting degree and a law degree would open many lucrative, real world doors.  Especially in government jobs.  However, he does have an albatross in the room.

And please don't bite my head off .... the real world of business doesn't even know or care about Jazz.

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Despite the intense dislike for Durwood,  the reality is having an accounting degree and a law degree would open many lucrative, real world doors.  Especially in government jobs.  However, he does have an albatross in the room.

And please don't bite my head off .... the real world of business doesn't even know or care about Jazz.

I agree Derick's degrees could open up a career or two.

However, even if the real world of business doesn't know or care about Jazz, the internet does. Googling a prospective employee is routine now and I don't think Derick is so exceptional that any non-Fundy business will take a chance with him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Then derick came back here and floundered. He insisted on doing cross church, wasting a lot of someone's money (whether it was JB's, Jill's, or Cathy's is anyone's guess), and basically getting a useless certificate

expect this made him furious at everybody ... but he couldn't admit to much of that, probably, because he'd already become a Duggar.

He definitely comes across as someone who is angry at everyone, but totally in denial about it.  Hell, I’d be pissed off enough over the face thing, let alone becoming Duggarized.

What does not track for me is that he was already looking to go to law school before he came and blew that 12 grand on cross church. I doubt there was much of an ultimatum by Cathy.  Dude just wants to be a beta male big shot, like Jeremy, just less attractive and popular. 

• Love 12