Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

In this article, people commented on why Derek's teeth looked off center and he responded. 

"The midline issues are from the surgery by accident. He continued, “Nothing we can do about it now."

https://okmagazine.com/photos/counting-on-jill-duggar-husband-derick-dillard-responds-fans-making-fun-new-smile-instagram/

It really is a shame that no correction can be made to straighten out his appearance.  (If what he says is true)  It is also sad that people are making snide comments about it.  Saddest thing of all is that Jill puts all this up on SM with no thought of the shitstorm that will surely come their way.  The sex stuff just makes my eyes bleed.  Am tired from a long week at work.  I got nothing else...

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Having your looks, eating, and speaking permanently altered by medical incompetence is not something I’d wish on any halfway decent human. 

Agreed, I'd also point out that his vaguely worded statement could mean he can do something, but won't. He's the king of vague phrasing.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Agreed, I'd also point out that his vaguely worded statement could mean he can do something, but won't. He's the king of vague phrasing.

It could be that he was aware of what could have happened with the surgery before agreeing to it.  You can't really complain if the doctor laid out all the possible outcomes before surgery.   

• Love 2
(edited)

Apparently Derick answered a Tweet about his mouth. Something to the effect of it's due to a mistake with the surgery and can't be fixed.

ETA: Shit, I'm late to the party and missed an entire page of posts. Please ignore above post.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It could be that he was aware of what could have happened with the surgery before agreeing to it.  You can't really complain if the doctor laid out all the possible outcomes before surgery.   

Yeah, good point. He would've signed a consent form.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Yeah, good point. He would've signed a consent form.

Yep, most likely. That’s what happened to me. They basically told me, sorry ‘bout that but you knew it could happen, and I did because I did read before I consented to the procedures, but most of us go ahead anyway because we figure it’s worth the risk. 

I know sometimes surgeries create unintended, irreversible issues--my grandpa is one of the folks whose eyesight got worse after cataract surgery--but man if I was Derick I'd be so pissed. 

Actually, I could see this being a contributing factor to his unpleasant personality. I'm sure he's frustrated and possibly miserable/uncomfortable, and he might take it out on other people. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

I know sometimes surgeries create unintended, irreversible issues--my grandpa is one of the folks whose eyesight got worse after cataract surgery--but man if I was Derick I'd be so pissed. 

Actually, I could see this being a contributing factor to his unpleasant personality. I'm sure he's frustrated and possibly miserable/uncomfortable, and he might take it out on other people. 

I wonder how much pain he is in when he eats.  My jaw and neck and left shoulder were worn out and became arthritic by playing the viola, which is much larger and heavier than violin.  Eating has become an adventure in food choices.

Though for him, it explains all of Jill's cream of mush  meals.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Zella said:

It does suck to be the one person out of whatever the odds are that have serious complications after surgery.   I have known multiple people who have had complications including death, and I am leery of having any elective procedure.  I would love to have lasix on my eyes,  but am afraid that I will be worse off if I tried.  

• Love 6
(edited)

The cream of mush would make sense if there wasn’t such a thing as healthy puréed or chopped food, being easy to make for the ONE person in the house who probably needs it. They could all eat healthy, just in different forms. And Jill could shill a chopper too!

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 11
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

It does suck to be the one person out of whatever the odds are that have serious complications after surgery.   I have known multiple people who have had complications including death, and I am leery of having any elective procedure.  I would love to have lasix on my eyes,  but am afraid that I will be worse off if I tried.  

Yes it is frustrating! With my grandfather, one of his eyes improved, and the other he's nearly blind in. His eyesight was better with the cataract!

And I know what you mean about the lasik stuff. I inquired about that when I was a teenager and was told to wait until I was a little older and my eyes stopped changing and also forewarned it would definitely change again when I hit middle age. Based on that, I didn't go through with it. My eyes still change just about every year, so I suspect it would have lasted maybe a year or two before my eyes went bad. Of course, I know it works for a lot of folks, but I just figured I'd be one of the lucky ones it backfired on.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Their sex life must suck if they think that crap is sexy.  

The Post It note thing just killed me. It was so ridiculous I almost felt sorry for them.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Zella said:

And I know what you mean about the lasik stuff. I inquired about that when I was a teenager and was told to wait until I was a little older and my eyes stopped changing and also forewarned it would definitely change again when I hit middle age. Based on that, I didn't go through with it. My eyes still change just about every year, so I suspect it would have lasted maybe a year or two before my eyes went bad. Of course, I know it works for a lot of folks, but I just figured I'd be one of the lucky ones it backfired on.

I am in this same boat (waiting for my vision to stabilize before I can have lasik), the issue at middle age, though is that everyone tends to get somewhat far-sighted at middle age.  So if you had lasik at age 25 and had 20/20 vision, when you hit 40 you would likely require readers, which isn't any different than someone who never had glasses in the first place.  For me, since I'm hugely near-sighted, as I've gotten to my 40s I've seen my prescription ease down a bit towards "normal."  I am so far from 20/20 vision that there is no amount of age related far-sightedness that can correct me to normal vision, but I'm hopeful that in the next few years I'll be able to skip the readers stage if I have lasik then.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, smores said:

I am in this same boat (waiting for my vision to stabilize before I can have lasik), the issue at middle age, though is that everyone tends to get somewhat far-sighted at middle age.  So if you had lasik at age 25 and had 20/20 vision, when you hit 40 you would likely require readers, which isn't any different than someone who never had glasses in the first place.  For me, since I'm hugely near-sighted, as I've gotten to my 40s I've seen my prescription ease down a bit towards "normal."  I am so far from 20/20 vision that there is no amount of age related far-sightedness that can correct me to normal vision, but I'm hopeful that in the next few years I'll be able to skip the readers stage if I have lasik then.  

That makes sense. I have horrible astigmatism and my uncorrected eyesight is 20/400. I know a giant E is at the top of an eye chart, but I honestly cannot make it out without my glasses. It's just a big ol' blur. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

That makes sense. I have horrible astigmatism and my uncorrected eyesight is 20/400. I know a giant E is at the top of an eye chart, but I honestly cannot make it out without my glasses. It's just a big ol' blur. LOL

Without my glasses, I can't see the chart.  LOL!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

In this article, people commented on why Derek's teeth looked off center and he responded. 

"The midline issues are from the surgery by accident. He continued, “Nothing we can do about it now."

https://okmagazine.com/photos/counting-on-jill-duggar-husband-derick-dillard-responds-fans-making-fun-new-smile-instagram/

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but weren't his teeth badly off the midline prior to the surgery? And thus the reason for the corrective surgery? I refuse to give their blog clicks to look for pictures to confirm though. In any case, I'm sure there's more to it than what Derdick says.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think the speculation that Derick may have brought a lawsuit before this oral surgeon may be true. This could be the money that they are living off of AND the 'help' from Mary Duggar. I assume they settled out of court as no record of a hearing has been found. These people are deceptive and I think that isn't very 'christian' of them.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I think the speculation that Derick may have brought a lawsuit before this oral surgeon may be true. This could be the money that they are living off of AND the 'help' from Mary Duggar. I assume they settled out of court as no record of a hearing has been found. These people are deceptive and I think that isn't very 'christian' of them.

If Derick did sue the oral surgeon for malpractice and settled,  he has no obligation to tell anyone about it and might not be able to anyway.   There would still be a record of the initial lawsuit that someone could find,  just not the particulars of the settlement. 

I agree that he should not be tweeting about his finances and trying to act like he was able to save nonexistent money to buy the house.   After almost 2 semesters of law school,  Derick should know that any lawsuit he would bring would be searchable. His tweets were fundamentally dishonest since he has had enough of a public presence these last 5 years and people can connect the dots.  He has always played fast and loose with the truth, but I have noticed that fundies don't see lying to the non-believers as an actual sin.  It's only a sin if they lie to fellow fundies.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I was just talking to my mom and she said that the ones who talk about sex the most have the least sex.

Absolutely true, IMO.  Or at least the least satisfying sex.  People who are having fun in the bedroom don't feel the need to discuss it publicly.

9 hours ago, smores said:

I had Lasik almost 22 years ago when I was 40.  Major nearsightedness, wore glasses or contacts since I was 11 or so.  I got monovision, which is where they fix one eye for distance, one for reading.  Most people's brains will coordinate the input from both eyes into a single picture automatically, mine did from the start.  My vision has been close to 20/20 since the day it was done.  At the time I had it done, I didn't need readers but the small print was getting smaller.  I am now 62 years old and don't need readers yet.  My eye doctor said my reading vision is normal and I probably won't need them until I'm in my 70's.  I've got nothing but good stuff to say about Lasik.  One thing I would caution anyone about is that your vision is not the item to bargain hunt.  I went to the facility with the most experience in the procedure and the surgeon that I used had done the second most Lasik procedures of anyone there, well over a thousand back in '97!  That really matters when it comes to surgery. I paid out of pocket and it cost more than double what I would have paid at one of the discount Lasik places.  I  have a couple friends who went to the discount places and got good results, too, though.

ETA: I found out where to go and who to see for Lasik by asking.  Not only colleagues in the medical field-my ophthalmologist recommended against it at the time because it was so new, but calling the various places where it was done.  Any doctor or hospital which doesn't disclose how often they perform a specific procedure and/or what complications can occur, should be avoided.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 5
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If Derick did sue the oral surgeon for malpractice and settled,  he has no obligation to tell anyone about it and might not be able to anyway.   There would still be a record of the initial lawsuit that someone could find,  just not the particulars of the settlement. 

I agree that he should not be tweeting about his finances and trying to act like he was able to save nonexistent money to buy the house.   After almost 2 semesters of law school,  Derick should know that any lawsuit he would bring would be searchable. His tweets were fundamentally dishonest since he has had enough of a public presence these last 5 years and people can connect the dots.  He has always played fast and loose with the truth, but I have noticed that fundies don't see lying to the non-believers as an actual sin.  It's only a sin if they lie to fellow fundies.

If he got a settlement, it almost undoubtedly came with a non disclosure agreement.  However, oral surgery like he had is a risky thing and there are some major complications that can occur.  I seriously doubt that Derek wasn't fully informed of all the possible outcomes including the mis-alignment of the teeth/jaw that he seems to have.  Just because a complication occurred doesn't mean that malpractice or negligence was involved. A surgeon can use the very best technique, follow every guideline and still stuff can happen.  Unless he had evidence that the doctor or the staff did something completely outside the standard of care, it would be tough to sue for something which is a known potential complication from the surgery. 

Also, we know he never filed a malpractice suit, those records are public.  The only time cash gets paid without a suit being filed is if something so egregious, so outside the norm has happened and the hospital/physician knows they don't have a leg to stand on legally; so they settle prior to a suit being filed to keep it totally private.  For example, if you go to the hospital to have your right leg amputated and they mistakenly remove your left leg; you will limp out of the hospital with a check in hand.  Nobody wants to go to court on that one.  It is very doubtful that whatever happened to Derek was of that magnitude.

I think they're just liars and have a source of cash, probably from somewhere in one or both of their families, that they don't talk about.

• Useful 5
  • Love 18

It's interesting if Derick used the word "mistake." In my mind, a complication is a possible risk even under the best care, and a mistake is negligence or other preventable circumstance. Derick is training to be a lawyer, so I assume he would be precise. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Absolutely true, IMO.  Or at least the least satisfying sex.  People who are having fun in the bedroom don't feel the need to discuss it publicly.

I had Lasik almost 22 years ago when I was 40.  Major nearsightedness, wore glasses or contacts since I was 11 or so.  I got monovision, which is where they fix one eye for distance, one for reading.  Most people's brains will coordinate the input from both eyes into a single picture automatically, mine did from the start.  My vision has been close to 20/20 since the day it was done.  At the time I had it done, I didn't need readers but the small print was getting smaller.  I am now 62 years old and don't need readers yet.  My eye doctor said my reading vision is normal and I probably won't need them until I'm in my 70's.  I've got nothing but good stuff to say about Lasik.  One thing I would caution anyone about is that your vision is not the item to bargain hunt.  I went to the facility with the most experience in the procedure and the surgeon that I used had done the second most Lasik procedures of anyone there, well over a thousand back in '97!  That really matters when it comes to surgery. I paid out of pocket and it cost more than double what I would have paid at one of the discount Lasik places.  I  have a couple friends who went to the discount places and got good results, too, though.

ETA: I found out where to go and who to see for Lasik by asking.  Not only colleagues in the medical field-my ophthalmologist recommended against it at the time because it was so new, but calling the various places where it was done.  Any doctor or hospital which doesn't disclose how often they perform a specific procedure and/or what complications can occur, should be avoided.

I need readers in my late 40's about 20 years after my Lasik, which was pretty unfortunate and gross, even though they warned me I might fall prey to age-related presbyopia at the time.  It's still the best money I ever spent.  

Mainly though, I wanted to say that the problem I heard about bargain-hunting Lasik, is that the places offering to do you for "$999 per eye!", are able to do so because they bought "hand-me-down" Lasik machines, which the majority expensive Lasik purveyors were unloading because the laser has gone a millimeter or so out of true (!). 

So ever since then, I've been preaching the Lasik gospel of "pay whatever it costs and skip the bargain-hunting", as I wanted my surgery to be done by the best equipment possible, since I only get one set of eyes!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do feel sorry for Jill in this situation.   There is nothing unbiblical about a married couple exploring their sexuality.   The original meaning of the Kama Sutra has been watered down so much over the centuries that I can't believe this particular book could pose any threat.   She must have gotten a lot of blowback from the Jill Rodriguez's of the world who are so narrow-minded and insecure in their faith that they cannot even comprehend reading the sacred text of another faith. 

If you are secure in your faith,  then you can learn about other faiths.  There is no risk of you straying from the path.   You should also be able to withstand criticism of your faith.

One of my professors for a mandatory religious class at the private Christian college told us that Christians really shouldn't be afraid of ideas or intellectualism. I think a lot of people in the class were uncomfortable with what he said. But as a kid who was so fed up with the narrow-mindedness and willful ignorance that surrounded me, I wanted to weep for joy.

Sadly, I don't think anyone has ever told the Duggars this, and even if they did, the Duggars wouldn't care.

• Love 22
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, so I am jetlagged out of my mind at the moment but Derrick does look better post-surgery. I will give him that.

Honestly, if he were a funny, kind, smart, generous self-deprecating kind of guy, he could actually be attractive in a gangly quirky way.

But as science has yet to perfect the total personality transplant, he just really really isn’t.

Yeah his teeth on their own do look better though they obviously still have issues.

I think all the weight he has lost also is a factor--and is probably due to the botched surgery--but to me he has looked positively unwell for quite awhile.

When they first met, I didn't think Derick was attractive to me personally, but he wasn't hideous looking. Even with his dental issues,  I thought he just looked like an average person.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9

Question: I've seen some speculation on here that Izzy's teeth might be taking after Derick's. Is that something braces during childhood would correct or does he likely have oral surgery in his future too if he does in fact have a similar issue?

I never had braces as a kid, so am really quite ignorant about the whole orthodontics thing.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Zella said:

Question: I've seen some speculation on here that Izzy's teeth might be taking after Derick's. Is that something braces during childhood would correct or does he likely have oral surgery in his future too if he does in fact have a similar issue?

I never had braces as a kid, so am really quite ignorant about the whole orthodontics thing.

I know some conditions have to wait until you stop growing, but it looks like Derick never had any orthodontic work at all, which is odd considering both his parents had good jobs with insurance. I'm surprised they didn't try to get the ball rolling when he was much younger.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I've seen some speculation on here that Izzy's teeth might be taking after Derick's. Is that something braces during childhood would correct or does he likely have oral surgery in his future too if he does in fact have a similar issue?

Sometimes.  One of my kids had a jaw and palate problem so she had treatment at age 7 to 9 and then again at around 13 and avoided what we'd been told was absolutely certain surgery.  It pays to get multiple opinions and research the oral surgeons and orthodontists thoroughly. 

I expect if Derick had had at least some orthodontic treatment when his jaw was growing, he wouldn't have the issues that he has now.  I can't guarantee it, of course, but based on our experience that's my best guess.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 8