Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

This is what bothers me about Jill’s way of cooking. Your palate gets used to certain tastes and seasonings. I know someone who is a bit better than Jill on the cooking techniques, but OMG her food is so salty. It burns my tongue, I retain water and then am up all night going to the bathroom. (I eat low sodium)  When I cook fresh for her (them) they don’t like it because it’s not to their taste. Jill doesn’t do anything to balance it out either. Fresh salads, veggies with hummus dip (real, not her version) or steamed vegetables. So to compensate I will watch people put a ton of salt on their food to make it taste good. Sadly there’s nowhere to go to eat better...not her parents or siblings homes. Those poor children will never think a meal is good unless it is full of salt and artificial flavorings.  

Well, that explains Jill's cooking. She's was raised with certain tastes and seasonings and now she's used to them. 

• Love 9

The first video didn't want to play, but I just finally watched the other two. Jill's overuse of "Yaaay" seems to be getting progressively worse. And I get that with little kids, they are going to find a lot of pretty mundane things fascinating, but asking Israel numerous times how excited he was to see popcorn pop seemed a bit over the top. Iz didn't look particularly excited. I suppose he must have reacted with excitement the first couple of times he saw it so it became captivating entertainment for him in Jill's mind. Not sure how I felt about him standing on that stool either...that seemed as though it would be very easy too fall off of. But Jill seems to think she's raising little mountain goats anyway as many times as we have seen them in pretty precarious situations. Maybe they will grow up to be exceptionally sure-footed. 

As for the movie night video, that was pretty pathetic as well, but a couple of maybe positive things I took away from it (because I do want to try to give them credit occasionally)...Did Jill ask Sam, when he was sitting on her lap, and the theme song of the movie was playing, "are you going to dance?" and sort of swayed him in time to the music. And also, I don't know if I saw it correctly, but those little red PJ's with the hood that he was wearing - did the hood have little devil horns on it? 

• Love 9

Doubt those were devil horns, but Jill did ask Sam Sam if he was going to dance. Do they have a nickname for Israel? Other than the one time they called him choo choo I have yet to hear one. I thought Israel was standing on the rolling office chair they use at the dining table. I hope I’m mistaken. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 2

Maybe it's OK to ask Sam to dance because he's only a toddler and he hasn't officially been baptized yet or something?

That third video with Sam in the playpen felt like a video to accompany the Sam Chronicles by mynextmistake. That look on his face!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

Maybe it's OK to ask Sam to dance because he's only a toddler and he hasn't officially been baptized yet or something?

That third video with Sam in the playpen felt like a video to accompany the Sam Chronicles by mynextmistake. That look on his face!

I think the very witty and talented mynextmistake has left us.

• Love 6

I'm surprised at Jill's choice of movies.  Yay!! (well considering Jill, I'm really not) Unless I pulled up a different movie with the same title "All I want for Christmas is you" this one seemed like a movie geared to older children. Yay!! The one I checked out was about 2 kids whose parents had separated & the kids got them back together.  I guess a Christmas version of Parent Trap.  I think a lot if it would be over Izzy's head & Jill would have to explain things to him like why the mommy & daddy didnt live together. Yay!!

BTW, I wish they would just get a TV /VCR & be done with it. Yay!!  It's not like they have to leave it on all day.  Just seems it would be easier for the group of them to watch a TV than a small laptop. Yay!!

• Love 10

Haha I thought of Jill the other day! I went to an early thanksgiving with friends, and made pineapple casserole and potato casserole. It was funny, because both dishes were brown! So Jill! They didn't look like vomit, however. I made the potato casserole with the cream sauce, too. I will post that when I get back...I'm out of town now! Basically, you melt butter, and then add flour, and then milk...and I'll add a couple more things for specific dishes...but it is easy! Will post the measurements when I get back. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sheshark said:

I think the very witty and talented mynextmistake has left us.

I thought she meant for that particular topic or temporarily, since she said something about having other things going on. Hopefully she will be back, though.

• Love 11

I think the movie they watched is Mariah Carey’s all I want for Christmas is you based on her song and subsequent book. It’s an animated movie. A little girl (Mariah) wants a puppy, her parents let her pet sit and if successful she could get her own. I could be wrong as I often am. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

And also, I don't know if I saw it correctly, but those little red PJ's with the hood that he was wearing - did the hood have little devil horns on it?

That's what it looked like to me too. The onesie thing was red with an attached hood, and the hood had protruding horn-like things at the top of either side that looked to be gray in color. Not sure what the entire outfit is supposed to represent if not the devil?

Israel initially said he didn't even want popcorn; he only wanted to watch the movie (maybe because he was sick?). Of course Jill could not adapt to his actual wishes and not only had to force the issue by making him have the popcorn, but badgered him the entire time with, "are you so excited?" It's sad to see someone with the intellect and mentality of a child herself raising children and documenting her efforts as if they're something to be proud of.

• Love 16
On 11/18/2018 at 5:33 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Add Michael Jordan to the bad tippers list. My friend waited on him. Gave him a private area. Opened the kitchen to cook shrimp for him and his friends. Allowed him to smoke cigars. Numerous trips to get drinks for his crowd. The bill was 3k. The tip was $50. She said she would have made more if she had more tables than spending all her time to wait on him. In my area when people see him coming they fight over who gets to serve him, as he’s a notorious bad tipper. 

CRAZY!  I know he is fairly well liked here where he has or had a basketball camp in the summer.  I know he would gift all the staff at the gym with his shoes (not HIS shoes but his line) and always was super popular at the bar he likes to frequent.  I am going to ask my buddy about the tipping.  I do know he was quite the hound dog when it came to women.  He also smoked LOADS of weed.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SMama said:

I think the movie they watched is Mariah Carey’s all I want for Christmas is you based on her song and subsequent book. It’s an animated movie. A little girl (Mariah) wants a puppy, her parents let her pet sit and if successful she could get her own. I could be wrong as I often am. 

Hoping you're right.  Better plot for a 3 yr old than the movie I found. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

CRAZY!  I know he is fairly well liked here where he has or had a basketball camp in the summer.  I know he would gift all the staff at the gym with his shoes (not HIS shoes but his line) and always was super popular at the bar he likes to frequent.  I am going to ask my buddy about the tipping.  I do know he was quite the hound dog when it came to women.  He also smoked LOADS of weed.

I’m not saying that he hasn’t done philanthropic good deeds. I’m just saying that he was a bit entitled (on the particular night my friend served him) and after 4 hours of working hard to places him, he showed no appreciation by way of a good tip (or when you are even tipping less than 5%, a lousy tip). 

He grew up in Wilmington, NC and has donated a lot of memorabilia to the Cape Fear Museum. As far as smoking weed, chasing skirt etc., that’s his business and none of mine. I’m not out to ruin his reputation. Just stating a fact that I know of about a time he tipped. 

• Love 4
Just now, Mindthinkr said:

I’m not saying that he hasn’t done philanthropic good deeds. I’m just saying that he was a bit entitled (on the particular night my friend served him) and after 4 hours of working hard to places him, he showed no appreciation by way of a good tip (or when you are even tipping less than 5%, a lousy tip). 

He grew up in Wilmington, NC and has donated a lot of memorabilia to the Cape Fear Museum. As far as smoking weed, chasing skirt etc., that’s his business and none of mine. I’m not out to ruin his reputation. Just stating a fact that I know of about a time he tipped. 

The smoking weed doesn't bother me at all (and would be hypocritical of me to be bothered).  When I found that out years ago it just stunned me since he was an athlete.  

• Love 4
Just now, Natalie68 said:

The smoking weed doesn't bother me at all (and would be hypocritical of me to be bothered).  When I found that out years ago it just stunned me since he was an athlete.  

I agree with that. As a first class athlete he needs all the oxygen possible to fuel his cells and body. It could be because he came to his career so early, that he couldn’t smoke weed as a teen and he’s indulging in the many things he had to put aside for his career. 

• Love 3
On 11/17/2018 at 6:33 PM, McManda said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a cultural thing, not an asshole thing. My understanding is Europeans pay their servers a living wage and as such, tipping isn't a thing over there. In fact, I think a lot of other countries see tipping as either rude (as in, you're insinuating they're not making a decent living) or a mistake. 

This is true. We lived in Germany for several years and at our hotel, while waiting for housing, we used the in house restaurant quite a few times. The waitress had no problems schooling the 4 new American couples on how to proceed in European restaurants. 

• Love 1
On 11/18/2018 at 12:32 AM, louannems said:

We lived in Kirkland Washington for many years, which isn't too far from Bill Gate's house.  My son's first job was a bus boy at a local restaurant.  Bill Gates used to frequent this restaurant with his two little kids, who, of course, were very messy.  My son said Bill Gates was a terribly cheap tipper..

That is pretty typical among the ultra-rich. We know a builder who said it's not the ultra rich who walk into a house renovation and start throwing money around. If you tell them the counter tops are going to cost $x.xx per piece then it better be $x.xx per piece or they will fight you to find it for a cheaper price. He said it's the newly rich or those who are considered millionaires, but not ultra-millionaires, that come in and throw around money like it's a habit. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Because a party of 2 taking up a table for 4 is an ASSHOLE maneuver.  Deal with your insecurities on your own time because they could be literally taking money out of the waitstaff pocket's.  Sucking up a large table that could seat and feed more which equals a higher tip angers me.  I know I shouldn't care but I lived on tips for a long time.  

We visit a local restaurant that has long tables (for eight) and some booths that can seat 4 comfortably.  We prefer a table, as Mr. Xword is disabled, and it's difficult for him to slide into a booth.  It's understood that if we take a table, another couple or family, can share it with us, and that works out well, for us, and for them.  

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

We visit a local restaurant that has long tables (for eight) and some booths that can seat 4 comfortably.  We prefer a table, as Mr. Xword is disabled, and it's difficult for him to slide into a booth.  It's understood that if we take a table, another couple or family, can share it with us, and that works out well, for us, and for them.  

Of course you can. You aren’t a fundie like Jill giving death stares to any woman who dares to approach the table...even if they are with their husband or partner. 

• Love 8
On 11/19/2018 at 8:19 PM, cdp73 said:

I was thinking it would be titled "50(Yay!) shades of Beige. LOL"  (Yes, LOL is part of the title.)

50 Shades of Yay!

I hope poor little Iz decides to formally accept Jesus into his heart at Christmas in front of the cameras. Then maybe they'd stop treating him like they do all unsaved people, and have a nice "saved at 3" story to boot.

• Love 15
37 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

I think Sam Sam’s red pjs with the horns on the hoodie is supposed to be some animal character - I think there’s a gray animal on one side of the chest - kinda looks like Eyeore. Or might it be the Arkansas Razorback?

I think you're right. These people think Halloween is evil, so they're certainly not going to dress their infant as the devil. Silly me. This, maybe?

ro.jpg

Edited by graefin
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, graefin said:

I think you're right. These people think Halloween is evil, so they're certainly not going to dress their infant as the devil. Silly me. This, maybe?

ro.jpg

Yeah, that's probably it. Darn it! I was hoping that someone in that family might have had a slightly subversive sense of humor...

• Love 5

Just came across this story about an American killed on on island off the coast of India and immediately thought of Jill and Derick. The guy was a Christian missionary trying to contact a group that has never had any contact with the outside world. They are known to immediately shoot arrows at anyone approaching the island and are protected under Indian law. How long before we see tweets and insta posts reminding us of the "danger" they were in as missioncationers and how that could have been them.

• Love 20
On 11/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, Steff said:

True or they love the driest lasagna ever created.  Must need some dried out food to balance out all her soupy mush.   

And good grief why can't she shut up and let Izzy just watch his damn movie?  The constant "are you happy? are you having fun? do you like popcorn? how's the movie? do you love it? can you say YAY!?"   Hell, park Izzy in front of the movie and get into the kitchen and cook a real damn meal!   She's Southern for crying out loud!  Make some damn fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, and some biscuits.  She doesn't seem to be able to cook unless she dumps it all into the crock pot. 

She wouldn’t have a clue how to fry chicken and make real gravy from the drippings.  That takes skill, and Jilly ain’t got none.

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Just came across this story about an American killed on on island off the coast of India and immediately thought of Jill and Derick. The guy was a Christian missionary trying to contact a group that has never had any contact with the outside world. They are known to immediately shoot arrows at anyone approaching the island and are protected under Indian law. How long before we see tweets and insta posts reminding us of the "danger" they were in as missioncationers and how that could have been them.

I read about that this morning.  I’m sure the guy thought that God was leading him to “witness” to the tribe, therefore God would provide him with protection.  That tribe has been known to shoot arrows at helicopters, for Pete’s sake, so a little common sense would’ve saved his life. 😕.  Sorry for getting off topic.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, graefin said:

ro.jpg

I totally see Derick getting this for Izzy and telling Jill it's some Disney character or something, just to revel in how stupid she is. He seems the type to cruelly try to get one over on her whenever he can to prove that she's dumb!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I read about that this morning.  I’m sure the guy thought that God was leading him to “witness” to the tribe, therefore God would provide him with protection.  That tribe has been known to shoot arrows at helicopters, for Pete’s sake, so a little common sense would’ve saved his life. 😕.  Sorry for getting off topic.

Sad to hear this, I hadn't read the story.  Unfortunately his goal probably wouldn't have been to save his life or approach the tribe with caution, but to die in a blaze of glory for God.  Now he will be worshipped and emulated as Jim Elliott was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Elliot.  He and his wife were friends of my family's, and I grew up hearing the glories of martyrdom, and how he was a greater witness having been killed, as he was if he had lived.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm having dinner at my in-laws tomorrow and was charged with making the green bean casserole. I thought of Jill today as I sheepishly loaded my shopping cart with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. 

Next time hit me up for a recipe for a creamy mushroom sauce suitable for the casserole, but I do hope that your dish comes out well. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I've never had green bean casserole, but I've been eyeing this recipe for a while now: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/homemade-green-bean-casserole-recipe.html

Serious Eats rarely steers me wrong. Alton Brown also has a recipe for green bean casserole without the cans.

sorta OT: I've been cooking for several days for tomorrow's feast. I wonder where the Duggars spend the holiday? Is it a command performance at the compound?

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Serious Eats rarely steers me wrong. Alton Brown also has a recipe for green bean casserole without the cans.

sorta OT: I've been cooking for several days for tomorrow's feast. I wonder where the Duggars spend the holiday? Is it a command performance at the compound?

Horrid boxed stuffing, salty canned gravey, pasty boxed dehydrated mashed potatoes, canned jellied cranberries, mushy yams plopped right out of the can, tasteless canned green beans slathered in cream of mushroom soup, frozen pies, and probably lunch meat turkey.  

All those hordes of kids and two big kitchens and there is never any home cooking from scratch.

But there will be homemade bread and a big salad!

• Love 24
2 hours ago, louannems said:

Horrid boxed stuffing, salty canned gravey, pasty boxed dehydrated mashed potatoes, canned jellied cranberries, mushy yams plopped right out of the can, tasteless canned green beans slathered in cream of mushroom soup, frozen pies, and probably lunch meat turkey.  

All those hordes of kids and two big kitchens and there is never any home cooking from scratch.

But there will be homemade bread and a big salad!

You nailed it!  I love the lunch meat turkey reference.

I remember them making a big deal about having  pies for Thanksgiving dessert because pie is one of JB's favorites & of course, they have to please Daddy.  I'm not knocking store bought pies but I'm sure the Duggar girls couldn't make a homemade pie to save their lives.

Hoping the Duggar kidults that are married go to their spouses families for  real home cooked Thanksgiving meals.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Need to confess, no cranberry chutney at our Thanksgiving table. We have cranberry out of the can, can rings and all and I enjoy every bite!

I love that canned stuff with a passion, specially on a turkey sandwich. I'm sure Duggars don't even know cranberries come in any other form.

I'm having canned cranberry for dinner tonight. But I'm making my own dressing/stuffing whichever. And brussel sprouts yum.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Need to confess, no cranberry chutney at our Thanksgiving table. We have cranberry out of the can, can rings and all and I enjoy every bite!

Oh gosh, yes.  Sometimes someone will make a "real" type cranberry sauce, but, we still have the cans.  And it is important to get the contents out in one piece!!

• Love 13