Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, graefin said:

The rest of the car doesn't look too clean either.

I swear I lose IQ points every time I watch Jill's videos. The latest series at the pumpkin patch was more of the same. She must have said "Yay!" at least dozen times; she must have asked Israel "are you having fun?" at least half that many times. Is there literally nothing else she can talk to him about? At one point during one of the videos, Israel starts talking, and Jill, as usual, ignores him, but Cathy responds. In another video, Sam starts excitedly pointing to the sky, and instead of engaging directly with him, Jill starts talking about him in the third person, presumably to Cathy, about something he did earlier. What the hell is her damage? Was Michelle this bad?

Oh, and at one point, Jill says, "Derick is studying." Then she follows that up with, "Say 'thank you, Papa!'" Wha? Why the fuck should the boys thank Derick for studying? This lady is more than a few cards short of a full deck.

Jill may be crazier than Dimwit, and that’s really saying something.

• Love 13
Just now, Westiepeach said:

Wow. They both have aged like 20 years in that 5 year time span. Marriage and parenthood sure did not agree with them.

Jill really has deep lines on her forehead, and crow's feet! I'm about half a decade ahead of her and can honestly say she has many more lines than I do! I have to guess that it has something to do with the face she is always making in pictures.

• Love 7

When they were on that train ride , barrel?, Jill commented that she needed to hold on too. I thought for sure Samuel was going to bang his head. MOTY 2.0 held on for herself with one hand, and had her phone still taking the video in the other. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, mimionthebeach said:

Because the full frontal at the airport committed them to marriage. No backing out after he'd chewed that gum. 

I think MeChelle’s head exploded when that pre-marital full-frontal hug took place. Oh! The horror!

• Love 20
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

3 pictures. The 3rd is a doozy!

brb with the story......

eta: nvm it’s nothing new, it refers to one of their first entries on the blog.

Oh puke. Why did I look at those pictures? I've got a child on the potty chair that I'm sure will produce something better to look at. Yuck. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

When they were on that train ride , barrel?, Jill commented that she needed to hold on too. I thought for sure Samuel was going to bang his head. MOTY 2.0 held on for herself with one hand, and had her phone still taking the video in the other. 

Priorities.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, Madtown said:

As I looked at this picture of Sam, he looked like he thought he could possibly escape on this pumpkin. Of course I instantly thought of @mynextmistake and hoping for another great installment of hers. Lo and behold, I come back just now and there it is! @mynextmistake, you did not disappoint! Thank you for the laughs yet again!

"Fly, strange gourd! Fly, take me away from the guards and gourds and captives!"

• Love 12
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I think MeChelle’s head exploded when that pre-marital full-frontal hug took place. Oh! The horror!

Similar to when Ben and Jessa held hands during PRAYER !

So much for their claim that each courting couple is free to set their own ground rules for the courtship.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Lunera said:

Why is "courting" in quotes? 

Because they had already been courting via skype, "courting" means that TLC wanted a courting proposal for the cameras so Jill and Derick obliged. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Jill is wearing one of those pink bow headbands that babies wear. Wow. Derick married a girl with a pink baby bow headband. I wonder if he has traumatic flashbacks when he sees sees those things on newborns. 

It looks like both like a garter, and very juvenile and babyish. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, graefin said:

I actually want to comment on another scene from Jill's "pumpkin picking" video that disturbed me. Jill is filming Israel sitting in his wagon with the pumpkin he picked, and the conversation goes like this:

Jill: "Do you like your pumpkin?"

Israel (eating ice): "Yeah."

Jill: "Why do you like this one?"

Israel (still eating): "Because I like [unintelligible]."

Jill (to audience or Cathy or whoever): "He didn't actually pick this one other than picking it off the fence. It was already picked sitting right up there on top of the fence. He said [starts to laugh], 'I want that one.' [continues laughing]"

I think this is an excellent example of 1) what a jerk Jill is, and 2) what a horrible parent she is. Why does she have to mock and belittle Israel and the pumpkin he chose (and yes, he chose it, even if it was sitting on top of a fence post rather than on the ground with the others) by saying he didn't actually "pick" it, but it was "already picked"? Has growing up in front of the camera on "reality TV" fucked up her brain so badly that she doesn't realize that she can actually explain things to her child rather than just passively watch him do things? If Israel said he wanted the one "already picked out," why did fucking smarty pants Jill not point out to him the many other pumpkins on the ground there and elsewhere that he could also choose from and tell him his options were not just limited to the ones he could see plainly? Or is that not as fun as snarking on an innocent three-year-old in front of your viewing audience? Hmm, Jill?

Also, I'm sure the irony is completely, 10000% lost on her that it is, in fact, her and her idiot husband who are the ones constraining Israel's ability to make choices in life, generally speaking. So if Israel is limiting himself, he's learning it from dear old mom and dad.

P.S.: I would not be surprised if Jessa, at least, reads here, if not Jill herself. Hey, Jess: maybe you could give Jill some tips on how not to suck at parenting quite so much? Thanks!

I have admittedly never been to a pumpkin patch, but I think maybe she was saying he didn’t pick the pumpkin as in he didn’t pick it off the vine? Instead he chose one that had already been harvested and was up on the fence? I mean, he obviously picked it out regardless of where he found it, so I don’t see how she’s mocking his choice by saying it was on the fence. It’s not like she started chanting “your pumpkin sucks” or berated him for choosing an easy pumpkin or something. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, awaken said:

It looks like both like a garter, and very juvenile and babyish. 

Remember the enormous,  silly headband she wore at the hospital after birthing Izzy?  It had her name on it and she looked four years old.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I have admittedly never been to a pumpkin patch, but I think maybe she was saying he didn’t pick the pumpkin as in he didn’t pick it off the vine? Instead he chose one that had already been harvested and was up on the fence? I mean, he obviously picked it out regardless of where he found it, so I don’t see how she’s mocking his choice by saying it was on the fence. It’s not like she started chanting “your pumpkin sucks” or berated him for choosing an easy pumpkin or something. 

OK, then, but why did she feel the need to comment on it? Why is it noteworthy to her that he decided to choose the "already picked pumpkin" instead of one from the field or whatever? And again, why wouldn't she just ask him "would you rather go out there and pick one off the vine?" and then offer to show him, instead of asking him "do you like your pumpkin?" or "are you having fun?" for the hundredth time? (Maybe she did do these things, but that's not what she filmed and showed us.)

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, graefin said:

OK, then, but why did she feel the need to comment on it? Why is it noteworthy to her that he decided to choose the "already picked pumpkin" instead of one from the field or whatever? And again, why wouldn't she just ask him "would you rather go out there and pick one off the vine?" and then offer to show him, instead of asking him "do you like your pumpkin?" or "are you having fun?" for the hundredth time? (Maybe she did do these things, but that's not what she filmed and showed us.)

I just don’t see this as the enormous affront to Izzy that you do. I really don’t see any mean spiritedness in her comments about the pumpkin. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I just don’t see this as the enormous affront to Izzy that you do. I really don’t see any mean spiritedness in her comments about the pumpkin. 

Shrug. Maybe she's just guilty of inarticulateness. Maybe I'm just jaded by her 10,000 other horrible videos that I automatically assume the worst in her intentions. I still maintain she's a terrible parent and could learn something from Jessa, who besides not knowing how to use the word "exacerbate" correctly, has the right idea:

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Maybe Jill has posted the calendar as more of an explainer than a romantic gesture. “Look, we barely knew each other and essentially got engaged a week after we met. All of this insanity is because didn’t fucking know each other. Don’t be like me! Save yourselves!”

"We should've dated! Thirteen months in I'd have realized he can't commit to anything longer than a year!"

• Love 12

OK, to be fair, I went to the website of the farm they went to, and they do specify that you can either pick your own pumpkin in a field or choose from a "pre-picked" pumpkin, so it's possible that is indeed what Jill meant. However, in the video, Jill says that Israel didn't pick his pumpkin other than to pick it off the fence (emphasizing the empty spot where it had been sitting), and in the process shows the other pumpkins surrounding the fence pumpkins on the ground, which are also presumably pre-picked (since the field is in another area). So whatever point she is trying to make here is entirely lost.

And like others have said, what the fuck does it matter where it came from? Can she think of nothing positive to say to or about him?

• Love 13
7 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I agree.  I don't see her as being so much mean spirited as simply an idiot.  Her constant barrage of yes/no questions just forces her to constantly speak for him or get nothing but a nod or head shake in response.  He doesn't seem very verbal, but doesn't need to be when his parents always talk over him.  Kid can't get a word in edgewise.  

• Love 16
9 hours ago, graefin said:

Shrug. Maybe she's just guilty of inarticulateness. Maybe I'm just jaded by her 10,000 other horrible videos that I automatically assume the worst in her intentions. I still maintain she's a terrible parent and could learn something from Jessa, who besides not knowing how to use the word "exacerbate" correctly, has the right idea:

Okay, nowhere did I say Jill is a good parent. She’s not. I just don’t think a few offhand comments about a pumpkin are that big of a deal. 

With that, I’m out y’all! So long and thanks for all the snark. I hope you all have a lovely holiday season and enjoy time with your friends and families. ?

• Love 8
9 hours ago, graefin said:

Kinda vain for a three year old. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, JoanArc said:

"We should've dated! Thirteen months in I'd have realized he can't commit to anything longer than a year!"

THIS. ^^^^

I have always, ALWAYS thought that Jill would never have married Derick if they'd had a regular dating relationship. I remember thinking, around a year in, that she seemed kind of over him. That's about par for the course with first relationships, really. You do all the seasons and holidays together once, and then it's like...this has been fun! I wonder what else is out there! Even in the best of circumstances, most people date around a little, and don't marry their first boyfriend...and Jill was not in the best of circumstances!

Just imagine if Jill had chosen to wait, even if she'd refused to take her head out of the sand, and ultimately married Derick. Things would still be better! I doubt he would have tried to take someone he wasn't married to out of the country after a year together, for one. If he insisted on going, Jill would have probably ended it, in the real world. Just think if they'd dated for a year or two, and had a year or two engagement. They would maybe be just about now thinking of having children, or they might have Sam, at the very most. That would be so much more healthy for their maturity levels!

jessa and Bin at least dated for longer, and their marriage seems to be happier (though I do NOT think he was ready for fatherhood to happen to fast, but he adapted and became a good dad). 

Joy and Austin went into marriage fast, but they seemed ready for working hard together. They have their eyes open to the reality of marriage, and don't expect it to be like a Disney fairy tale, like Jill and Derick. 

Jinger and baaaaabe probably could have benefitted from regular dating, as long as they could have had physical contact. I wonder if they would have continued their relationship if they'd gotten the horniness taken care of early. Would Jeremy have realized she was woefully uneducated? Would Jinger have found him too pompous? Those questions are interesting, but at least they seem a lot happier than Jill and Derick. I think they both want the same lifestyle, and that helps. How they will afford that lifestyle post-TLC is a mystery to me, though! Real troubles could kick in then. 

Joe and Kendra went through the courtship process fast, but at least Kendra has been in duggar circles for years.

lauren and siah...just no! I think they will be unhappier than Jill and Derick. I don't think they should have dated longer, or that it even would have helped anything. They shouldn't have dated, period! At least Jill and Derick seemed attracted to each other in the beginning. Lauren and Josiah did not!

ETA: forgot JD and Abbie! While it's too early to tell with them, I do think there's something to be said for being older and knowing yourself! I'm sure they had a much better and more realistic idea of what they wanted in a partner than Jill, who was not only much younger, but has the mindset of a thirteen-year-old. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 15

@Christina87, great post.  These fundies, and other groups, many religion-based, some not, are doing their kids a disservice by refusing to let them date, and not trusting them to decide when & if they get married, break up, stay friends, or never talk again.  The Duggars seem to think that they can have cookie-cutter children that will stay in their group, and never go beyond their narrow-minded focus, even with something as crucial as choosing a life mate.  Part of my fascination with cults is my gratitude that I wasn't raised in one, and had the ability to decide for myself if I'd be a churchgoer (I'm not) and decide who, or if, I would marry.  I didn't single date until 16, and even that was considered conservative in the early 70's.  

BTT:  Jill and Dillweed, a mismatch from the get-go.  Poor Izzy and Sam. 

• Love 13

Fundie or non-fundie, plenty of people are miserable and mis-matched in their marriages.  The fundies just talk about it less, don't post about it on social media, and have a lower divorce rate.  And most of us know couples that dated normally, possibly lived together, spent years getting to know each other, yet their marriages imploded anyway.  

No guarantees, regardless of the shape your "courtship" took.  In the case of these two, I think the world is better off that they found each other, so they can stay within their narrow-minded, judgmental little circle.  Hopefully Jill's breeding years are either over or curtailed. 

• Love 14
31 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Fundie or non-fundie, plenty of people are miserable and mis-matched in their marriages.  The fundies just talk about it less, don't post about it on social media, and have a lower divorce rate.  And most of us know couples that dated normally, possibly lived together, spent years getting to know each other, yet their marriages imploded anyway.  

No guarantees, regardless of the shape your "courtship" took.  In the case of these two, I think the world is better off that they found each other, so they can stay within their narrow-minded, judgmental little circle.  Hopefully Jill's breeding years are either over or curtailed. 

Don't fundies have among the highest divorce rates in the US? I read some statistic about it but I can't recall the details. IIRC it essentially said that atheists had the among the lowest divorce rates and evangelicals the highest which I found deliciously ironic considering how much that particular group hollers about the sanctity of (heterosexual) marriage and how being an atheist makes you incapable of being moral. Turns out that atheists are actually more moral according to fundie beliefs than fundies are themselves. (I know things are more complicated than it looks on the surface but I still get a chuckle out of it).

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Vaysh said:

Don't fundies have among the highest divorce rates in the US? I read some statistic about it but I can't recall the details. IIRC it essentially said that atheists had the among the lowest divorce rates and evangelicals the highest which I found deliciously ironic considering how much that particular group hollers about the sanctity of (heterosexual) marriage and how being an atheist makes you incapable of being moral. Turns out that atheists are actually more moral according to fundie beliefs than fundies are themselves. (I know things are more complicated than it looks on the surface but I still get a chuckle out of it).

I've read that divorce rates are much higher if you marry under age 25, and they are also higher if you have not completed any higher ed, so if that is true it makes sense fundies get more divorces since they marry young and the women tend to stop school after HS.

Add in the super quick courtship, financial stress of ten million kids....yeahp.

2 hours ago, Vaysh said:

I've read that divorce rates are much higher if you marry under age 25, and they are also higher if you have not completed any higher ed, so if that is true it makes sense fundies get more divorces since they marry young and the women tend to stop school after HS.

Add in the super quick courtship, financial stress of ten million kids....yeahp.

• Love 4

Love this post, but we really don't see much of Ben to be able to make a real assessment of him as either a husband or a father. Yeah, we know that he loved his kids, but how hands-on is he? We don't even know what Ben does to ostensibly "support" them.

• Love 10

Don't let that fool you. He's still fundie, making a Christian movie of some sort. He's had several crowdfunding sort of sites to support its production.

As for I Missed Dating Goodbye, it sits on my Fundie bookshelf aside the Duggars and the Pearls, Scientology, etc (and Ho!y Toast) to remind me how cults destroy people on every conceivable level.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

In all my years of apple picking, picking strawberries and picking pumpkins I have never picked a pumpkin off the vine. Never once did I or my children ever feel the need to discuss the difference, because, you know, we were caught up in having fun. 

Exactly.  Except for the tiniest ones, you have to cut those thick, hard stalks with something you would NOT hand to a 3 year-old.  

So screw Jill and her "He didn't pick it" crap.  NOBODY visiting there picks those things off the vine.  They all pick them off the fence or the ground.  Idiot. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 23

I have picked pumpkins off the vine at several pumpkin farms in the greater Seattle area. How to get it off the vine probably depends on the pumpkin variety, but the way I do it is to twist the pumpkin until the stem breaks off the vine, no sharp tools needed. 

My kids weren't able to pick the pumpkins off the vine until they were around 5 to 6 years old, so when they were younger, they would tell us which pumpkin they wanted and my husband or I would pick it off the vine. Or tell us which one they wanted from the piles of pumpkins stacked around the farm. Either way, I have never thought that they didn't picked their own pumpkin.

Edited by Triple P
  • Love 4

We took the kids to a pumpkin patch last month. They picked their own pumpkins. I think Jill doesn't know the difference between "picked" as in picked off the vine, and "picked out" as in choosing from the available ones. She's an idiot.   

• Love 23