Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

That's supposed to be an apple crumble, I see. It needs brown sugar and you dont mix the butter, sugar and flour with a fork but by hand until they are all small crumbly bits. No wonder it looks like she threw it up.

What is wrong with her that she cannot stop posting this utter shite every time?

There haven't been any photos of Dreck lately in law school, have there? Has he quit already or is he actually having to study?

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Somehow I doubt she even owns a cast iron skillet. You must know how to take care of them.

Yeah, my attempt right out of college was an epic FAIL. It was so gross after I used it once that I set it in the sink and left it there for days. Then I just threw it out, and it had left a huuuuuge rust spot in my sink! I went out and bought some sort of rust remover, and can still see the spot where I had to use a lot of it when i look in the sink. Haha, good times! I'm thinking now that I'm older and wiser I might try again, but it makes me nervous! ???

8 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

That's supposed to be an apple crumble, I see. It needs brown sugar and you dont mix the butter, sugar and flour with a fork but by hand until they are all small crumbly bits. No wonder it looks like she threw it up.

What is wrong with her that she cannot stop posting this utter shite every time?

There haven't been any photos of Dreck lately in law school, have there? Has he quit already or is he actually having to study?

I vote for already quit. 

16 hours ago, kalamac said:

She's also one of those 'instant obedience' parents that uses abusive control over her kids. She said in an interview that her kids have to ask to go to the toilet, and sometimes she says no and makes them wait, to remind them she's the boss, and there are times they'll be out in public, and she'll command them to stop walking and do something like take off their jacket, and if they dare argue, they get punished.

Cathy was probably picking up tips to pass on for controlling Izzy and Sam.

No wonder she was able to play the mean girl so well!

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Yeah, my attempt right out of college was an epic FAIL. It was so gross after I used it once that I set it in the sink and left it there for days. Then I just threw it out, and it had left a huuuuuge rust spot in my sink! I went out and bought some sort of rust remover, and can still see the spot where I had to use a lot of it when i look in the sink. Haha, good times! I'm thinking now that I'm older and wiser I might try again, but it makes me nervous! ???

Girlfriend, I was a lot older than you before I discovered the joy of cast iron skillets. They are easy to care for, once you know how. And now I love them! I use them every week! Since Jilly has a hard time taking care of her own children, I doubt she can care for cast iron. 

• Love 9

My mother always baked her fruit cobblers & crisps in a glass pie dish & they turned out great every time.

Her peach cobbler was my dad's favorite. It was basically dropfuls of a not too sweet shortbread type mixture  placed on top of sliced peaches. It puffed up all over the peaches.

I don't think my mom's recipe contained  nuts or oats but came out delicious as well.

She also had a peach cake recipe from a neighbor who got it from a bakery.The dough was placed first in a baking pan & sliced peaches were placed in rows on top of the dough. It had to be eaten the same day as it was baked. If not, the juices from the peaches would make the dough soggy. 

Thanks for the memories.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, kalamac said:

She's also one of those 'instant obedience' parents that uses abusive control over her kids. She said in an interview that her kids have to ask to go to the toilet, and sometimes she says no and makes them wait, to remind them she's the boss, and there are times they'll be out in public, and she'll command them to stop walking and do something like take off their jacket, and if they dare argue, they get punished.

Cathy was probably picking up tips to pass on for controlling Izzy and Sam.

Disgusting.  Glad she is kind of a nobody these days so she doesn't have people listening to her.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Girlfriend, I was a lot older than you before I discovered the joy of cast iron skillets. They are easy to care for, once you know how. And now I love them! I use them every week! Since Jilly has a hard time taking care of her own children, I doubt she can care for cast iron. 

I never had cast iron skillets until we bought the house we are in now, six years ago. I had never really heard of them back in the early days of my marriage as we had always had electric stoves/ranges throughout  my entire life and especially when the glass-top electric ranges came in, cast iron was the last thing you would want to cook on. We had gas power for two years back around 1994/5, when we lived in California, but we were not there long enough for me to bother adapting any of my cooking methods.

I adore my cast-iron skillets now! And as far as apple crisp, I've made that forever, but can't even imagine using as insipid of a recipe as Jill's here. I don't think I've EVER seen a recipe which doesn't call for oatmeal, and, frankly, don;t even understand why a recipe is even needed....six or seven sliced apples coated with sugar,cinnamon, maybe a dash of nutmeg and a bit of flour, topped with a mixture of melted butter, oatmeal, sugar, cinnamon, and enough flour to make it a bit crumbly, then baked until bubbly.  Maybe a dash of salt in each of those components, but overall, it's really hard to mess up, and once you have made it a time or two, you can just throw it together without bothering to measure anything.

This is, by far and away, the most pathetic excuse for apple crisp I've ever seen...I would imagine that someone with  almost zero experience in the kitchen (maybe something as basic as just being aware that flour thickens juices) who has ever eaten apple crisp more than a couple of times could put together a better recipe simply through instinct.

• Love 20

I actually prefer apple crisp without oatmeal in the crumble but I would not eat JillyMuffin's pile-o-crap. Agreed it is missing brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, and a rudimentary understanding of cooking.

• Love 18

Maybe she could try  sandwiches? She could buy some nice crusty bread from a bakery and stack up some bacon and fresh lettuce and tomatoes from her garden? Maybe she could manage that without making it look like a vomitous pile of garbage?

• Love 23

In honor of Jilly-poo, I asked my husband to make apple crisp. It's moist, sweet, brown, and crumbly. The work of this dish is preparing the apples. Other than that, making a good topping is no harder than throwing random slop on it. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

When I was a little girl my grandma had a chain-smoking, tough-as-nails friend named Phyllis. One day my cousin and I were talking about getting married one day and Phyllis heard us. “Girls,” she said, taking a drag on her Lucky Strike, “when y’all get married i’m gonna send you a cast-iron skillet. You just keep it on your stove. If your man ever raises a hand to you y’all pick that up and swing. Going to the law about a man don’t teach him nothing except you can’t take care of your own business.”*

That's an awesome story. I don't know what it is about cast iron skillets, but they seem to evoke warm or funny memories in everyone. My late grandmother taught me how to properly care for one, so whenever I pull mine out I always think of her.

• Love 8

Jill's made a lot of disgusting crap, but this is the first photo that actually literally triggers my gag reflex every time I scroll past it.

And would that much cinnamon spark a coughing fit, or would cooking dull the effect?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, graefin said:

Jill's made a lot of disgusting crap, but this is the first photo that actually literally triggers my gag reflex every time I scroll past it.

And would that much cinnamon spark a coughing fit, or would cooking dull the effect?

I didn't know you could make yummy ingredients turn out so nasty looking.

It's a talent, I guess.

Screenshot_20181027-231811.jpg

• Love 12
1 hour ago, MsJamieDornan said:

So why tell us a 9 x13 pan and then show pictures of a skillet ? Stolen pictures again ?

If one was going to steal pictures of apple crisp, it would take a very long time to find one quite as nasty as this...I just tried googling images of apple crisp and couldn't find anything even close to Jill's mess.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, MsJamieDornan said:

So why tell us a 9 x13 pan and then show pictures of a skillet ? Stolen pictures again ?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the picture, my question is that looks like a regular what 8-9 inch skillet?  I don't think that holds the same volume as a 9x13 pan.  I know that would require more math skills that she seems to have, but why use a recipe that doesn't match the pan you are using......never mind....  Speaking of cast iron I have 3 that I absolutely love, a smaller one (maybe 4-5 inches?), medium, and a 13 inch one that I need 2 hands to use, plus a 4 qt. cast iron dutch oven.  It has only been about 2 yrs since I started using cast iron but man do I love them!

• Love 8
12 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

Maybe she could try  sandwiches? She could buy some nice crusty bread from a bakery and stack up some bacon and fresh lettuce and tomatoes from her garden? Maybe she could manage that without making it look like a vomitous pile of garbage?

I'm guessing, no. I'm not sure how she could turn a BLT into a beige vomitous pile of garbage, but then I've always thought apple crisp was a pretty fail-safe dish. I know I've defended her cream of whatever casseroles, but holy spit, how does she manage to make every friggin recipe she posts look so unappetizing? This is probably the true reason Derick is so skinny. Just looking at her food makes him gag and/or puke.

I'm pretty sure those are Jill's original pictures. The countertop in the uncooked pictures matches the countertop in the Banana video. Plus, only Jill would so proudly post an obvious "fail".

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 14
16 hours ago, graefin said:

Maybe her "friend's" the Hackels loaned it to her?

Am I the only one who saw Hackel and thought of Hello dolly? "Misssssta Hackel, Mista Tucka, don't forget Irene and Minnie; just forget you ever heard a word from me!"

• Love 9

If anyone is interested in cast iron, the food guy Geofrey Zakarian will be peddling  his brand of non-stick cast iron skillets during In the Kitchen with David on QVC this afternoon. You don't have to wait for presentation to check them out,  just go on line. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I feel like we're missing brown sugar in all this. That seems like a lot of cinnamon. 

That's what I was thinking too.  Heck, you could jazz it up and use chai spice or five spice powder instead of cinnamon.  I also was wondering how you poured a crumbly topping over the apples.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I found Jill's next recipe. Someone shared this to a Facebook group I belong to:
Comforting Chicken Noodles Crockpot

2 cans cream of chicken soup, 2 cans of chicken broth, 1 stick of butter, 1 pound of chicken breasts, and a 24 oz package of egg noodles.

Put the chicken in the crockpot and dump the chicken soup, chicken broth, and butter on top. 
Cook on low for 6-7 hours. 
Shred chicken, return it to the crockpot, stir in noodles, and cook for another hour.

The poster suggested serving it with rolls and bagged salad.

I just realized that to really Jill it up, I'll need to replace the chicken breasts with 2 cans of cooked chicken.

This would be a pretty good Jill recipe. It should serve 20, if the cans of broth are big enough. I like that it doesn't have any of those vegetable thingies in it. 

• Love 18
53 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

If anyone is interested in cast iron, the food guy Geofrey Zakarian will be peddling  his brand of non-stick cast iron skillets during In the Kitchen with David on QVC this afternoon. You don't have to wait for presentation to check them out,  just go on line. 

I got an ad for that on my Facebook feed! I might have to check it out even though David annoys the crap out of me.

My mother has a great baked chicken casserole recipe with similar ingredients (minus the butter) that is a family favorite.   I can't imagine why Jill's recipe calls for a STICK of butter. That must just melt & pool on top. YUCK!

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

This would be a pretty good Jill recipe. It should serve 20, if the cans of broth are big enough. I like that it doesn't have any of those vegetable thingies in it. 

Well, she’d have to add salt...

• Love 10
23 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

The newest installment of "Cooking with Jilly" 

More like "Puking with Jill".  

23 hours ago, Absolom said:

Why not make one that has a real topping with a of bit flour, brown sugar, and oats?  

Does that come in cans of cream ?

• Love 13
58 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

I also was wondering how you poured a crumbly topping over the apples.

11 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

didn't know you could make yummy ingredients turn out so nasty looking.

It's a talent, I guess.

Her proportions are all wrong; too much sugar and butter and not enough flour in her crumb topping. 1 cup sugar, 1 stick of butter and 3/4 cup flour will result in a soupy mixture that would need to poured rather than sprinkled over the apples. That's why the topping looks so thin and nasty. It would have been better with oatmeal and brown sugar, but even white sugar, flour and butter would have worked if she had actually LOOKED at it and thought "This is too runny, it needs more flour."

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Sold out ?

12 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

When I have recharged my funny I am sure Sam will have something to say about this.

Something along the lines...

day 450 Yay lady keeps feeding me “food” that looks like throw up or dog diarrhea. Slender men instead of hugging me gives me a high five. 

P.s . I read your posts in Gordon Ramsey voice lol.

• Love 4

She brought that vomit inducing crumble to feed to her beloved Joy Joy? Are those spring rolls at the front of the table? Can’t imagine the Duggars eating them. I’m very surprised Jill knows the word splendid and used it in the appropriate context. 

Edited by SMama
Cobbler and crumble are not the same.
  • Love 3