Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, MunichNark said:

Ah, that's ok. He won't be a lawyer either.

What's ranch? I presume she's not talking about chopping down some wood house and throwing it into that unappetising slop? And what is hominy?

“Ranch”is dry ranch dressing mix. 

Hominy is corn that has been treated with a lye soak, among other things. I’ve never had it by itself, although apparently it can be used to make masa, which is the primary ingredient in tamales. And I love me a Trader Joe’s frozen beef tamale...they’re delicious.

46 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Do you think Izzy & Sam were allowed to run wild while the Dimwits stared lovingly into each others eyes?

I don't think Israel or Sam have ever been allowed to run wild in their short little lives. The one image that the Dillards want to preserve above all is that they have the world's most obedient children. I'm pretty sure Sam was strapped into his stroller and Israel's been Pearl-disciplined to sit in a chair until hell freezes over.

Ranch, in this recipe, refers to a package of Ranch dressing mix. America's nectar of the gods, according to my kids because it can be used to mask the awful taste of anything.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My daughter made this soup today but used her own recipe. It was delicious and didn’t look like what is in this pot at all. 

It isn't a bad concept it just needs someone who actually knows how to cook to tweak it.  I would not add water, I would add chicken/veggie/beef broth to punch up the flavor a bit more.  This is just me but I would add maybe 1-2 less can(s) of tomatoes and add another can of ortega chilies, some diced jalapeno's or serrano's, I loathe hominy so it would be corn, I would drain all but one can of beans (the bean juice can thicken it a bit), there would be NO ranch packets anywhere near this, I wouldn't use the packet of taco seasoning, I would use actual chili powder/cumin/garlic and onion powder, top with some diced avocado, and because I love them, some black olives.  If it's just me eating it, I would add diced bell pepper using all the colors (red/green/yellow/orange).  Top with a little cheese and WALA!  If I used their recipe I would not be able to get my rings off.  WAY too much sodium. 

• Love 7

@Natalie68 Your version sounds a lot more like what my daughter made. I also am very sensitive to sodium and for that reason alone I try to avoid spicing packets because so many of them are heavily salt laden. I’m also with you on all the peppers. Crunchy, tasty and so much vitamin C. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I don't think Israel or Sam have ever been allowed to run wild in their short little lives. The one image that the Dillards want to preserve above all is that they have the world's most obedient children. I'm pretty sure Sam was strapped into his stroller and Israel's been Pearl-disciplined to sit in a chair until hell freezes over.

Ranch, in this recipe, refers to a package of Ranch dressing mix. America's nectar of the gods, according to my kids because it can be used to mask the awful taste of anything.

I agree with that image thing. Based on some comments I've heard, people who've heard of the Duggars from their earliest shows on TLC, but who probably haven't watched the show a lot, tend to think that Ma and Pa Duggar have raised this huge bunch of kids who are totally obedient and courteous and righteous. Especially obedient. 

About ranch, last year I came across a recipe to make your own ranch seasoning mix, and ever since I've preferred that to the storebought stuff when used, for example, to season a roast. But I love me some ranch salad dressing. Storebought or not. Yeah, that's inconsistent. Oh, well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Are hashtags like #lovemyboys really necessary? I'm fairly certain I've never seen hashtags like #mykidssuck.

LOL, there's actually a book called "I <3 My Little A--holes" or something similar.

#mykidssuck, too funny!  I'm inclined to hate hashtags, personally.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Law school terror can make for some good tv, and while true that we didn't know ahead of time when the professor was going to call on us to answer a question, going all the way back to kindergarten, I can't think of one time ever where I was given a head's up that I was going to be called on in class.  TV/movies like to portray law students being humiliated in front of the class if called upon and he/she is unprepared or doesn't know the answer....because that's entertaining, and the purpose of tv/movies, by and large, is to entertain.  While I can certainly only speak to my experience, which comprises some infinitesimally small percentage of all the times professors have randomly called on law students during class, so may or may not be of much value, I never once observed (or experienced myself) a professor terrorize a student in class.  (Keep in mind, also, that when someone was completely unprepared/behind, it was common to just skip class that day and stay home reading like a fiend trying to get caught up for the next class....and you can't get called on if you aren't present lol).  I also never experienced any of the cut throat, classmates purposely sabotaging/undermining each other crap you hear about.  Not saying it never happens, but from my experience, it seems to be the exception, not the rule.

As far as Jill attending class with Derick.... I sincerely hope that she went only because the professor was indeed encouraging it for whatever reason.  If that's the case and Derick wanted her to accompany him, then it was a supportive, kind thing to do for Derick.  If it wasn't by invitation, then I can't imagine why in the world you would choose to attend law school classes with your spouse - unless you're jealous AF, needy AF, or happen to be really interested in law (and I seriously doubt the latter applies to dear Jilly Muffin).  And I don't mean that last statement as an insult, but Jill has never given any indication that law interests her at all.  I mean, I was enrolled in law school, I (mostly) enjoyed what I was learning, and I can tell you that often, given the choice, I could have come up with A LOT of things I'd rather have been doing than going to class.  ;-)

The Reddit guy posted it's his understanding that this was the only class Jill attended, and she had only been twice.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

The Reddit guy posted it's his understanding that this was the only class Jill attended, and she had only been twice.

Good, because it would make me really sad for Jill if she was choosing to sit through law school classes just to be with Derick rather than do her own thing, because that would indicate no small amount of emotional insecurity/neediness.  And I mean that with all sincerity.  It would suck if tagging along to law school seemed like your best option.

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

In the majority of posted pictures, Samuel was in a carrier/car seat. It seems that has been replaced by the stroller.

Nothing to do with the above:

FIRST tree climbing?! Do they live in a barren treeless desert, that her 3(?) yr old has never done this before?

5 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

That's the best one, but there's also this one: For awhile, my mom made this about every Friday evening when they would host a Bible study at their house. 

Ouch. 

Jill could use a good adult literacy program. Many community colleges offer them. She could brag that she's going to college, and Derick could feel relieved that he won't be a lawyer with a semi-literate wife. 

She really makes it sound as if Michelle is no longer using female pronouns!  The irony is delicious!  ?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Good, because it would make me really sad for Jill if she was choosing to sit through law school classes just to be with Derick rather than do her own thing, because that would indicate no small amount of emotional insecurity/neediness.  And I mean that with all sincerity.  It would suck if tagging along to law school seemed like your best option.

Um, Jill does not ever “do her own thing.” Because she does not have “her own thing.” She has a major amount of insecurity/neediness. 

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Natalie68 Your version sounds a lot more like what my daughter made. I also am very sensitive to sodium and for that reason alone I try to avoid spicing packets because so many of them are heavily salt laden. I’m also with you on all the peppers. Crunchy, tasty and so much vitamin C. 

I am absolutely addicted to those baby bells.  I eat them all the time.  SOOOO yummy!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Um, Jill does not ever “do her own thing.” Because she does not have “her own thing.” She has a major amount of insecurity/neediness. 

I was defining "do her own thing" as "not being attached at the hip to Derick 24/7, literally."  As in, following him like a lost puppy to class all the time.  Not saying I agree she never does her "own thing," but for purposes of my above comment, was setting a pretty low bar.  ;-)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

ere's a zany thought: why not just buy the sodium-free versions in the first place?

That way the soup won't be overly salty and you can season to taste

I swear I'm not being snarky asking this, but do you think Jill even knows what the word "sodium" means?

• Love 23
14 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

You know, I hate that Jill and Derrick can eat like this all the time and not be obese or sick.  I eat very healthy and exercise, but the second I THINK about eating an ice cream cone, I grow a second chin.

Seconded!!! I'm struggling with my weight, and I might eat a HEALTHY version of one of their creations as a special treat. For example, on my birthday I love to have homemade chicken enchiladas, which are way healthier than the crap they make. Still, they eat that way every night and don't gain an ounce! I've pretty much accepted I will never be able to eat desserts or high-carb foods again regularly, ever, and I will probably never be as thin as I once was. It will be a meat and a vegetable, with maybe rice or a potato if I absolutely need the energy from a carb. Even gluten free pasta isn't healthy enough. And I am only one year older than Derick!!!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 10

Christina87, wait until you're 60 like me. I had ONE REGULAR MEAL out with out dinner club last weekend and I gained 3 pounds from it. It took 8 days for those 3 pounds to 'go away'.

If I ate like Jilly, I'd be quite heavy and need MORE high blood pressure medication..(with all that salt in her crappy recipes).

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, kalamac said:

Skinny doesn't mean healthy though. There are plenty of overweight people out there with none of the illnesses fat people are usually assumed to have, and lots of skinny people with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Apparently an unhealthy skinny person is more at risk for heart attack and diabetes than a healthy fat person. So they could be thin, but with all kinds of health issues even they don't know about.

Yes that’s true. 

I understand how you feel @Christina87- I had a week worth of outings and stepped on the scale, I’ve got to cut back on the sugar and calories or my winter coat will be hella uncomfy in two months. Jill and Derrick May just be natural slim people, with tiny appetites. I am someone with a naturally large appetite, I’ve got to fill up on produce or I’ll be on My600lbs life. 

4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Christina87, wait until you're 60 like me. I had ONE REGULAR MEAL out with out dinner club last weekend and I gained 3 pounds from it. It took 8 days for those 3 pounds to 'go away'.

If I ate like Jilly, I'd be quite heavy and need MORE high blood pressure medication..(with all that salt in her crappy recipes).

Oh no! I don’t care for too much salt either. Process food BLOATS ME, how does Jill deal?! As a woman I mean we are more sensitive up these things. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

For those of us who are a little late to the party and catching up on a few days of Duggar-Dillard snark, is there anyone who could give us a synopsis of the original Reddit post that has since been deleted?   

Nothing earth shattering. Derick's appears to be nice in person, even offering his lunch if he hears someone say they're hungry. He's awkward and has strange opinions. Professor had the class decide on an appropriate punishment for rape based on the law, and Derick said the death penalty. The poster saw Jill in class but she wasn't disruptive, and the particular professor encourages family to visit.

Oh, and the students won't know how they're doing until the end of the semester, so they can't say if Derick's doing well or not.

Edited by lascuba
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Nothing earth shattering. Derick's appears to be nice in person, even offering his lunch if he hears someone say they're hungry. He's awkward and has strange opinions. Professor had the class decide on an appropriate punishment for rape based on the law, and Derick said the death penalty. The poster saw Jill in class but she wasn't disruptive, and the particular professor encourages family to visit.

Oh, and the students won't know how they're doing until the end of the semester, so they can't say if Derick's doing well or not.

Also, the informant said the class that Jill attended with Derick, was one where the professor is okay with students bringing a non-student guest to class. S/he reported that Jill's been to that class twice.

I did not get the impression that Jill's constantly hanging around the law school. We did see from their SM posts that she showed up with the kids and brought him dinner in the evening. Since they post damn near everything they do, I take the one-off post to mean that's not a habit, at least not at this time.

Whatever her clingy tendencies, IMO logistics work against Jill being a constant barnacle as to Derick's law school adventure. It was one thing for the childless newlywed Jill to drive over to the Walmart office building to bring Derick his lunch every day. It's quite another for Jill with two little tykes, to either arrange for someone to watch them while she goes to the Law School, or haul them with her. I looked up the U of A campus map.  As I think @Zella mentioned, parking is not easy or convenient for the law school. I know the student lot is a respectable distance from the law school building. From something @Zella posted, I got the idea there's even a shuttle bus (apologies if I misunderstood). I wonder if Derick's early morning departure to "beat the traffic" is just as much about finding a parking place before the lot(s) get full. 

I wouldn't exactly bet the rent that Jill doesn't hang out at the law school a lot, but I'm inclined to think her visits are not as frequent as many of us expected - or probably as frequent as she would like, lol.

• Love 14

New blog post:

Playtime Outside!

Oct 1, 2018 | Family Blog, Photos| 3 

A friend of ours called recently to check in…she said that when her girls were little and her husband was in school she would take her littles outside and give them a ball to play with and that they’d play for quite awhile before she brought them home, tired and ready for bed.

I know playtime outside is important and of course anything you can do to keep kids busy is helpful!  This past Saturday the boys seemed extra busy and Derick was at school studying, so I thought of my friend’s words and we headed outside! They thoroughly enjoyed playing with balls, climbing trees, picking grass and other things.

Sometimes I forget how enjoyable the simple things are, not to mention what good some fresh air and sunshine can do! It isn’t always “easy,” and doesn’t guarantee that you won’t expend just as much energy as they will at this stage by just trying to keep this one from eating dirt, or helping the other one get “unstuck” in the tree, or just kicking the ball around and/or fetching it from the ditch. lol All in all it was a great time. I captured some of the fun in the pictures below! 

CCE3DE2F-0C49-4297-ACB1-94637456C04A.jpeg

B4F16B6B-76E0-404A-B1F8-D56C46F42795.jpeg

• Love 4

@Jeeves Yes, you're correct!  My knowledge is not specific to the law school, but the parking situation there is very inconvenient. 

The bus system is actually really nice. It is free for everyone--not just students--and has stops across Fayetteville.  There are several buses. Many of the major apartment complexes are on the bus routes. I was a commuter, so I would park in the student lot, which was on the far side of campus, and then take the bus to the central station, which was pretty close to everything I needed.  I'm not as familiar with which bus routes and stops would be close to law classes since I was in a different department. But the central station is very close to the law library, and all of the buses ended up there at some point in the route.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

New blog post:

Playtime Outside!

Oct 1, 2018 | Family Blog, Photos| 3 

A friend of ours called recently to check in…she said that when her girls were little and her husband was in school she would take her littles outside and give them a ball to play with and that they’d play for quite awhile before she brought them home, tired and ready for bed.

...snip....

I refuse to believe that she has never thought of taking her kids to play outside.  She’s kidding, right?

16 minutes ago, Zella said:

@Jeeves Yes, you're correct!  My knowledge is not specific to the law school, but the parking situation there is very inconvenient. 

The bus system is actually really nice. It is free for everyone--not just students--and has stops across Fayetteville.  There are several buses. Many of the major apartment complexes are on the bus routes. I was a commuter, so I would park in the student lot, which was on the far side of campus, and then take the bus to the central station, which was pretty close to everything I needed.  I'm not as familiar with which bus routes and stops would be close to law classes since I was in a different department. But the central station is very close to the law library, and all of the buses ended up there at some point in the route.

At the university where I work, all visitors have to pay for parking as each student can only buy one parking permit.  I wonder if they offer swim lessons, art classes, musictime for kids as they do here that she can register the kids for so she can be “close”

to the best hubby ever.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, lascuba said:

What happened to the midterm Derick was studying for? Does it not count? Or did Dreck just think there was a test coming up?

I wonder if Derick specified who should get the death penalty in a rape. The rapist, the raped, or both. 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Steff said:

We see Jessa with her boys outside all the time.  Why on earth did it take a "friend" calling for Jill to get the idea to take her boys outside?  Jill can't cook anything that doesn't involve a salt lick and now we know she can't even figure out what to do with her own kids.  What life skills ARE actually taught by Michelle to her girls?   Because little Jilly Muffin can't do anything.  I'm surprised she hasn't posted her struggles with folding laundry yet. 

Maybe she grifted a laundry folder from the Container Store. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wow, just when you think she can't be any more pathetic, she outdoes herself. Kids outside with toys? What a novel concept... for Jilly Muffin.

I guess she really did learn how to be a mother to her children at her own mother’s knee. SMH. 

• Love 12

Wasn't sure where to ask this, apologies for wrong thread, but just wondering if any of these Duggar kids have totally abandoned this way of life and ran off to NYC or some such place? There's so many of them, surely at least one said "nah, I'm out." and bailed, right?

Just started watching and am very curious.

Edited by rideashire
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, rideashire said:

Wasn't sure where to ask this, apologies for wrong thread, but just wondering if any of these Dugger kids have totally abandoned this way of life and ran off to NYC or some such place? There's so many of them, surely at least one said "nah, I'm out." and bailed, right?

Not yet but we all still keep hoping.  So far, I think Jinger's come the closest but there's still a LONG way to go.

I'm beginning to think Jill is dumber than Joy.

Edited by cdp73
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, rideashire said:

Wasn't sure where to ask this, apologies for wrong thread, but just wondering if any of these Duggar kids have totally abandoned this way of life and ran off to NYC or some such place? There's so many of them, surely at least one said "nah, I'm out." and bailed, right?

Not yet. And the show would never show it if it did happen. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bythelake said:

What does she do with them  in the house all day? My boys were always outside with their Matchbox cars and Tonka trucks .I don’t see any of those,or any other age appropriate toys. Maybe,she should borrow some from Jessa.

Jill doesn’t have a clue. She really doesn’t seem to show any motherly instinct. And, she’s going to homeschool? Poor Izzy and Sam.

Jill also says she might have to expend just as much energy caring for her boys outside as inside.  It sounds like she has very little energy these days.  And Izzy was worried who would take care of him in the mornings while his dad goes to school.  Jill could be depressed. And that could explain whyJill has to post all those awful "dump" style meals. She is proud of providing a meal even though she has no energy.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

That post made her sound pretty dim.

Honestly, all her posts do that.

Did Jill fall on her head or was she deprived of oxygen at some point recently? How does she not realize that kids can play outside? The Duggars have been shown doing so from the time she lived in the big house. Also, she's in her 20s and stays home all day, so why is she complaining about being worn out from playing with her own kids? 

• Love 11