Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

In today's culture of entitlement and "me! me! me!, I've learned baby and wedding registry tackiness knows no bounds. People can't even be bothered to send thank-you notes any more.

The lack of thank yous makes me crazy!!!!!!! If there was one thing beaten (not literally) into my head was that you send handwritten thank yous for any gift you receive. My DH and I bought a couple a very nice gift off their registry and it was never acknowledged. I know I shouldn't get mad over not getting a thank you, but it's still annoying when you think of someone and you don't even get a verbal thanks. 

• Love 5

A lot of perfect strangers are going to send them gifts, so they might as well tell them what they really want.  I am willing to bet that they’ve already received a ton of stuff.  The irony is that most of these gifts are from folks that are in a lower socioeconomic bracket.

• Love 3

Is there a small talk, or general discussion thread for the Duggars?  This is the only forum I am having trouble finding one in, it seems like there are so many different threads it's confusing as to what goes where lol.

There's a Small Talk thread that fell to the second page, though that's for talking with each other and not about the Duggars.

I'd normally say "create a thread," but I'm going to PM the lead mods to see if they might want to do some sort of reorganization.

(edited)

I've noticed that we have a "The Other Kids and Grandma Duggar" and then separate threads for Jinger, Jana, and Joseph. Should it be lumped according to age group? J'slaves, Howlers, and Lost Girls? 

ETA: An FAQ thread might be advantageous as well to answer common myths/arguements (i.e. Sin in the Camp never happened)

Edited by PinkSprinkles

Their wedding party has been announced.

Dan Dillard, Best Man
    Brother of Groom
    Stephen Jones, Groomsman
    Friend of Groom
    Madison McCalmon, Groomsman
    Friend of Groom
    Tony Dillard, Groomsman
    Cousin of Groom
    John Duggar, Groomsman
    Brother of Bride
    Joseph Duggar, Groomsman
    Brother of Bride
    Jackson Duggar, Ring Bearer
    Brother of Bride
    Michael Duggar, Ring Bearer
    Nephew of Bride

Jana Duggar, Maid Of Honor
    Sister of Bride
    Jessa Duggar, Bridesmaid
    Sister of Bride
    Jinger Duggar, Bridesmaid
    Sister of Bride
    Joy Duggar, Bridesmaid
    Sister of Bride
    Anna Duggar, Bridesmaid
    Sister-in-law of Bride
    Johannah Duggar, Bridesmaid
    Sister of Bride
    Jennifer Duggar, Flower Girl
    Sister of Bride
    Jordyn-Grace Duggar, Flower Girl
    Sister of Bride
    Josie Duggar, Flower Girl
    Sister of Bride
    Mackynzie Duggar, Flower Girl
    Niece of Bride

Wait, so Hannie is a bridesmaid (I'm totally in love with this, I love Hannie) but Jackson is a ringbearer? Understandable if he wrangling Michael but 10 seems old for that.

Anna, Mack and Mike are in and Josh is presumably on Marcus duty, makes sense since Derick likely doesn't know him very well. Looks like he's using Jill's brothers to balance the numbers but not having Josh in there for no reason. This gives me some hope that he's not totally under the Duggar thumb.

As someone upthread said, I think he's biding his time and playing by the rules. I mean, he's a conservative Christian from the south, he probably doesn't drink and is likely going to support conservative politicians. It's just not outside the realm of possibility that he will quietly encourage his wife to continue her education and career, and that there's nothing wrong with natural family planning.

• Love 1

Jackson is such an immature ten it never occurred to me that he was really, really old to be a ringbearer.  I'm guessing it was mostly that Michael is too young/too badly-behaved to be trusted on his own and they didn't know any other age-appropriate boys for the gig.  But I'm guessing that Jackson doesn't really realize he's too old for this shit. 

• Love 3

IIRC, Smug included candy in his registry. They must have received a LOT.

Too bad we don't have an address. I'd lead a campaign to send rolls and rolls of duct tape. At first I was thinking of boxes of cereal, but that would be too useful. How much can they possibly do with neon duct tape?

If you are genuinely wondering (and I would be if I didn't know) there are many duct tape crafts on pinterest. 

I think Hannie is too young to be a bridesmaid and Jackson is too old to be a ring bearer. Also, having toddlers in a wedding party is a risky proposition. I was in a wedding with a two year-old flower girl and she threw a massive tantrum throughout the ceremony.

Why is Anna a bridesmaid, but not Cousin Amy?

• Love 2

So glad to see that John David is in the wedding.  Maybe he will be too busy to be (as he so proudly put it last time) "Chief Car Trasher" or whatever he called himself.  I hope they have somebody guarding the car.

When my daughter got married, her in-laws and the rest of his family and the bridal party pranked their apartment.  Some of the stuff was harmless, like hiding plastic forks all over the place (still found some when they moved after 3 years), but some was kind of mean, like taking all the labels off their canned goods, and filling their bedroom with blown up balloons that were filled with baby powder, which made a mess when they started popping them.

Could have been worse.  I know one couple whose friends screwed off the shower head, filled it with chicken bouillion and then put it back.

I think all of the above is ignorant and unnecessary.  Nobody wants to try to leave their reception to find their car is trashed, or come home to a mess.

I hope Jill and Derrick have a beautiful day tomorrow.  I am very happy for Jill.  Now I hope they move far away very soon.

• Love 2
(edited)

So glad to see that John David is in the wedding.  Maybe he will be too busy to be (as he so proudly put it last time) "Chief Car Trasher" or whatever he called himself.  I hope they have somebody guarding the car.

I was thinking Madison McCalmon, one of the groomsmen, who played  college football but then he'll probably be too busy also.

Edited by abseedee

I would love to believe that Jill will get to have a day that's all about her, but come on now.

Boob will undoubtedly make it all about him, he'll probably give the same speech he gave at Josh's wedding and will probably pronounce them man and wife.

The boys will vandalize the car

"Authority" will be mention 2,456,876 times

Only positive is that Jill will get a much better first kiss than poor Anna.

In today's culture of entitlement and "me! me! me!, I've learned baby and wedding registry tackiness knows no bounds. People can't even be bothered to send thank-you notes any more.

This is something that drives me nuts. I have sent so many, baby shower, bridal shower and wedding gifts and not received even a verbal thank you. I always send a thank you. It's so easy - even just an email would be acceptable now days. When I don't receive a thank you in the mail I cut off all gift giving to that person. If they are not thankful than I am not giving. I can't imagine all of the gifts that Jill will have to write thank you notes for. That is why I am surprised they are so willing to receive gifts form just anyone. That is just more thank you notes they will have to write. 

• Love 4

I think Hannie is too young to be a bridesmaid and Jackson is too old to be a ring bearer. Also, having toddlers in a wedding party is a risky proposition. I was in a wedding with a two year-old flower girl and she threw a massive tantrum throughout the ceremony.

Why is Anna a bridesmaid, but not Cousin Amy?

My stepdaughter and niece, barely 4 and 3.5 respectively, were my flower girls. My niece broke out in hives and refused to wear the "itchy" dress, so she walked up the aisle in orange gingham (her mom tried to tell her she couldn't be a flower girl without the dress but I played the bride card for my little pal). She then decided to "clean up" the flower petals during the service which struck my stepdaughter as incredibly unfair. In the wedding video, you hear an indignant screech and see a redheaded blur dash to tackle her cousin to get her share of the petals.

It was hilarious and I would change nothing.

• Love 9
(edited)

oooh! I have another question. I am excited to be participating now (rather than just lurking) so it was like opening a can of worms! You guys are just so informed I can't help it :-)

Does Derick have the same values as Jill? I mean in regards to kissing? Obviously he is going along with it now that he is courting Jill but did he ever date other girls before? Has he said if he has kissed? You guys talking about what their first kiss will be like kind of got me wondering all this. If he has kissed a girl before, then it will most likely not be as awkward as Josh and Anna's or Pricilla and Davids's. UCK! That latter one was particularly disturbing! 

Edited by ArazNight

There really hasn't been much clarification about Derick's dating history. He was raised Conservative but not Fundie. I think he's probably still a virgin but has dabbled with other physical contact.

Hey, BJs don't count so you know he's dabbled with that!

To be honest, I'd be pretty surprised at a guy his age (25? 24?) to still be a virgin.

Just sayin' my husband was 27, and I 25 when we met, both virgins, but not necessarily due to any majorly ingrained religious ideals. Just both on the shy side. Virginity went out the window within a few weeks. That was 30 years ago, so maybe things have changed a bit since then, but it's entirely possible for people without particular moral issues to just never find the right person.

That being said, the Duggars get on my last nerve. I don't really "do" religion of any stripe, much less fundamental, and, for that matter, generally feel like tossing anyone with strictly black-and-white mindsets on ANYTHING into some sort of intervention whether or not I feel that they have certain amounts of "right" on their side.

• Love 3
When I don't receive a thank you in the mail I cut off all gift giving to that person. If they are not thankful than I am not giving.

Sadly I've gotten used to not only no "thank you," but an email or text asking "do you still have the receipt for that?" (even when it's a registry item!)

Hopefully Jill does write all those thank you notes.

(edited)
NikSac, on 20 Jun 2014 - 8:22 PM, said:

Sadly I've gotten used to not only no "thank you," but an email or text asking "do you still have the receipt for that?" (even when it's a registry item!)

Hopefully Jill does write all those thank you notes.

How rude. If I had not received a thank you note but received a text or email asking for the receipt, I would ignore it.

Edited by starfire
  • Love 5

Just sayin' my husband was 27, and I 25 when we met, both virgins, but not necessarily due to any majorly ingrained religious ideals. Just both on the shy side. Virginity went out the window within a few weeks. That was 30 years ago, so maybe things have changed a bit since then, but it's entirely possible for people without particular moral issues to just never find the right person.

I hear ya--I was 21 myself, so I'm not disparaging those who wait!

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at this wedding today!

lottiedottie, I was taking a sip of my coffee when I read your comment and I almost choked I was laughing so hard.

Well, according to teenagers and President Clinton, BJ's don't count as sex, so maybe that's Derick's story and he's sticking to it!

Is Jill's wedding open invite like Erin's? If I was in Arkansas I would totally crash it. How would they know the difference?

(edited)

Is Jill's wedding open invite like Erin's? If I was in Arkansas I would totally crash it. How would they know the difference?

All you have to do is wear modest clothing and you could blend right in! I'm surprised the girls haven't been approached to do a modest clothing line yet! They are really missing out on some opportunities, here!

And, why aren't they live streaming this wedding?

Edited by lottiedottie
  • Love 2

Isn't Jackson a part of Jill's buddy group? It's Hannie, Jennifer & Jackson right? They all got together (alone!) to go get supplies to make the pickles, right? I'm surprised Jill didn't keep driving!

Maybe that's why Hannie and Jackson are in the wedding. I believe Josie sleeps with Jill also. Man, I'd hate to take care of Josie all night. So glad that Jill will only be sleeping with Derick now!

I hope Derrick's Mom is well enough to go to the wedding today.

On a snarkier note- I'm not a fancy person, and rarely dress up or wear makeup (though I did buy a special outfit for my rehearsal); but if PEOPLE was photographing my wedding rehearsal I think I'd brush my hair.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh, his mother is so sick with cancer she couldn't even go to the rehearsal dinner? That's so heartbreaking. Perhaps that's why they're getting married so quickly? If his mother dies, god forbid, I hope she leaves all her pants to Jill in the her last will and testament.

I know I'm not the only one, who when they saw Josie's name listed as a flower girl immediately thought about the kid sticking flowers in her mouth and blowing kisses during the wedding.

I wonder how much they're getting from PEOPLE for "exclusive" wedding coverage? Hopefully none of that money goes to Jim and Michelle.

On a snarkier note- I'm not a fancy person, and rarely dress up or wear makeup (though I did buy a special outfit for my rehearsal); but if PEOPLE was photographing my wedding rehearsal I think I'd brush my hair.

Not snarky at all. These Duggar girls bring curling irons to airports and minigolf courses but not to wedding rehearsal that's photographed by PEOPLE. Jeez. Not even married yet and she's already letting herself go. Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 1

So sad to hear Derick's mom is battling cancer! I'm hoping her being unable to attend the rehearsal is due to the effects of the treatment rather than something even worse. This puts a cloud over the wedding, but it's a part of life.  On the positive side, let's hope some of Derick's friends make a play for Jana & Jinger!!!

• Love 1

LMAO that the Duggars are multi-millionaires yet volunteers did the majority of the wedding planning and set-up. Get that free labor, Boob!

I'm truly sorry to read about Derick's mom. Hopefully she's able to attend today.

• Love 1

I would assume she is pretty sick to not have been able to attend and to require a wheel chair. Cancer treatment has improved so much that the effects are nothing like they used to be. Certainly wouldn't make you so sick that you couldn't stand. Many people never miss a day of work while undergoing treatment. I fear her condition is pretty serious.

The PEOPLE article shared that 2,000 people are expected at the wedding. Holy! I figured it would be a large wedding (600-700?) but not that massive. She's going to have to reunite the buddy team to get all those thank you cards written.

• Love 1

I'm horrified to think that 2,000 will be attending and the Boob was too cheap to order real food for them to eat.

UGH Jill needs a haircut desperately. Her hair looks horrible. 

I enjoyed the picture of Jill and Derick running down the isle, keep going FREEDOM is near Jill. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope that his mom is ok, from the little bit we saw of her on the show she seems like a really sweet person. I'd hate for her to miss her son's wedding! Hopefully she didn't go to the rehearsal so she could save up her energy for the big day.

Watching that video on the People website you know those two are like "We just can't wait to bang. Are we there yet?"

Edited by lottiedottie

How perfect is that picture of the two of then dashing down the aisle and away from the altar? Run, Dill! Run!!

I laughed at it too! I like your avatar, BTW. Bob's Burgers is hilarious. Tina and Louise are my favorite characters. 

I think all the J'Slaves need to hack a good eight inches off their hair; it always looks scraggly and dried out. They probably also use cheap alcohol-based products which doesn't help matters.

stillbored, I forgot all the J'Slaves were in Anna's wedding. I guess now they're obligated to include her in theirs.

• Love 2

I hope that Derrick's mom pulls through. There are some things that I know will happen at their wedding that I do not want to see.

1. Smuggar and Anna sucking face, and making it all about them.
2. J'Chelle giving Jill the sex talk.
3. Some Gothard reference, but then they''ll deny it.

I expect a Dillard baby announcement by the end of the year. Also, Derrick is a child of a divorced family. I wonder how Boob and J'Chelle feel about that.

• Love 1

No, Derrick's parents were not divorced. His father died and his mother remarried. Very sorry to hear about Derrick's mom as well and hope she is able to attend the

wedding. I wonder if her illness might have had a hand in the very short courthip/engagement between Jill and Derrick.

I have a hard time believing the the Duggars know 2000 people on a personal level. They must be mostly the fundie families who show up at the Big Sandy

homeschool conferences and maybe some of Jimbo's politcal connections..who else can they be?

• Love 1