Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I don't get the purpose of the potatoes in this dish. Each person gets a whole large chicken breast but only 3/4 of a medium potato? Are the potatoes there as a vegetable and you're supposed to serve an extra dish, like rice or something on the side?

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

450 degrees for 90 minutes? I like to make sure chicken is cooked, but holy damn. 

Another perspective:  Canned green beans, drained and no other liquid added, are baked in the oven at 450° for 1 1/2 hours. Do this and you, too, can have burn marks on green beans, just like in Jill's picture.  

• Love 19
11 hours ago, ThinkerBell said:

I've always thought this too. Jill likes being pregnant because it fulfills the only role she knows, but resents having to be a nurturing, emotionally invested mother. She seems to focus on the number of babies she might have instead of the two sweet boys she has right now.

Much like her mother. Jill comes by her attitude honestly, I guess.

• Love 11

One positive about the video: Derick didn’t tickle either one of the boys for an extended period of time. I’ve seen people do that to children, and personally find it mean. My positive is for something he did not do. I’ve got nothing else.

• Love 17
13 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

One positive about the video: Derick didn’t tickle either one of the boys for an extended period of time. I’ve seen people do that to children, and personally find it mean. My positive is for something he did not do. I’ve got nothing else.

I noticed that as well - I was almost looking for it given that his interactions with them seemed just a little off from being spontaneous and natural. The boys were enjoying it, but there was still a slight sense that this was not exactly routine and they were waiting for the other shoe to fall, as it were. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, though; that's always possible with these people.

I know that I am deathly ticklish...you don't even need to actually make contact before I start to squirm and panic. Just wiggle your fingers in the general direction of my middle. Mr Jyn used to do that to me, but did finally realize that just because I was laughing didn't mean I wasn't a second away from a major meltdown. I always feel as though I'm losing control if I get tickled. It feels like a literal panic response where I am likely to kick, scratch, bite, or do whatever I can to get away.

• Love 22

My first thought when I saw the food picture?  What IS that?   If she cooked that for 90 minutes at 450, it has to be really  tasteless.  And greasy.

Jilly honey, the Pioneer Woman is right up your alley.  Do yourself a favor and watch some episodes and check out her blog.  You have a lot in common.  She even made Cinnamon toast. Then find episodes of Good Eats and learn something about food.

Full disclosure. I don't watch the Pioneer Woman anymore.  The cupa and dumpa style is not for me.  But I love me some Good Eats.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 15

What I really don't like about Jill's chickN N beans N potatoes dish is that she has glopped the same packaged dressing mix all over everything. It should only be on the chicken in my opinion. I wouldn't want the beans and the potatoes and the chicken to all have the same taste. Leave the vegetables alone for goodness sakes! 

Did she suggest using sweet potatoes in this recipe? Sweet potatoes covered in Italian dressing herbs sounds really nasty to me.

• Love 23

Perhaps Jill should brown the chicken in a bit of olive oil, then put it in the oven.  I'd add some sauteed onions (maybe wth some peppers and  mushrooms), with some white wine or chicken stock.  I would also roast the potatoes and other veggies separately in olive oil adding some fresh garlic.  If she insisted upon using the dry salad dressing mix, it could be sprinkled  LIGHTLY over the chichen.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Totally said:

My husband ?

Actually I think lots of Dads do this because that's how they play.  My (now 39 yo) daughter used to call it playing "montner (monster) games" and my kids loved it.  It often takes place at night because that's when Dad's home from work and dinner is over.  When it comes to the Dullards, I hope it is a regular thing, but I suspect that it's a rare occurrence for "#bestpapaever".  I just don't trust that guy.  Jill did encourage shutting it down with story time.  That's actually pretty normal too.  And I don't call much of what the Dullards do "normal"!  

• Love 7
20 hours ago, ginger90 said:

New recipe post:

Easy Baked Italian Chicken ‘N Sides

Sep 15, 2018 | Recipes | 3 

My mother-in-law makes this meal frequently, especially when delivering a meal to a friend.  This past week I took meals to two friends of ours so this recipe came in super handy! It’s so simple and tastes delicious!

Makes one 9×13″ pan (4-6 servings)

4-6 chicken breasts (depending on size), boneless, skinless, thawed

3-4 potatoes, medium, (or equivalent small red potatoes), washed, cubed

2 cans green beans, or 2-3 cups fresh or frozen green beans

1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), cut into slices

1 pkg. Italian dressing dry mix

Grease 9×13″ pan. Place thawed chicken in middle of pan. Place cubed potatoes to one side of pan and drained green beans to other side of pan. Dot everything with sliced butter. Sprinkle with seasoning package. Bake covered at 450 degrees for 60-90 min (for large chicken breasts), or at 350 for one hour (for small chicken breasts), until internal temperature of chicken reaches at least 160 degrees (doesn’t hurt to be a little over this!).

Note: you can easily substitute potatoes and green beans for other vegetables (e.g. carrots, sweet potatoes, fresh asparagus, etc.)

541AF1B2-5AF0-438A-BB6F-2AB80C6C7556.jpeg

This is giving me nightmares! I was posting on Twitter with a handful a friends because we were all hungry and feeling lazy. Then this recipe and pic pops up. I comment that this is nor Italian or original. I didn't even mention the cooking time. I have no idea how this got into our feed but her followers CAME FOR ME! LOL! I had to mute their asses. I thought I was bagging on my friend and it was JILL! I may now have to leave twitter.

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Actually I think lots of Dads do this because that's how they play.  My (now 39 yo) daughter used to call it playing "montner (monster) games" and my kids loved it.  It often takes place at night because that's when Dad's home from work and dinner is over.  When it comes to the Dullards, I hope it is a regular thing, but I suspect that it's a rare occurrence for "#bestpapaever".  I just don't trust that guy.  Jill did encourage shutting it down with story time.  That's actually pretty normal too.  And I don't call much of what the Dullards do "normal"!  

Yeah, my father used to drum rapidly on the floor when he was crawling around after me, pretending he was "gaining on" me.  I adored it and shrieked with laughter.

• Love 5

I've seen Jill's latest recipe in various forms all over FB for the past couple of months, just not looking so brown. It's either the Italian dressing mix or a ranch dressing packet. Neither of which is anything I would use, and most don't have canned beans or swimming in liquid end results. 

• Love 2

Chicken breasts are so lean that I don't think they should be cooked in the oven at all, let alone for that long. And I'm not one to criticize the healthiness or lack of in recipes, AS LONG AS THE FOOD LOOKS GOOD! That shit swimming in butter doesn't look at all appetizing. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I've seen Jill's latest recipe in various forms all over FB for the past couple of months, just not looking so brown. It's either the Italian dressing mix or a ranch dressing packet. Neither of which is anything I would use, and most don't have canned beans or swimming in liquid end results. 

I I have canned beans I love to eat them out of the can.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Chicken breasts are so lean that I don't think they should be cooked in the oven at all, let alone for that long. And I'm not one to criticize the healthiness or lack of in recipes, AS LONG AS THE FOOD LOOKS GOOD! That shit swimming in butter doesn't look at all appetizing. 

I can cook frozen chicken breast in less time than this recipe calls for.  Chicken, a little olive oil and some spices are done in 45-60 minutes.  

• Love 4

I have no issues with canned beans, I have some in the cabinet now. But all of the FB copies of her recipe I've seen have used fresh or frozen beans. I wouldn't bake canned beans like she did. I can't picture the texture turning out well. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I I have canned beans I love to eat them out of the can.

I've done the same, but I wouldn't use canned beans in a recipe that requires an oven.  I've gotten very used to fresh beans in the last year or two.  Chicken and potatoes cook a lot slower than even fresh beans, in my experience.  

2 minutes in the microwave heats up canned green beans, IMO.

It almost seems like Jill is goofing on her followers by posting these crazy recipes that don't make sense, but I don't think she has the sense of humor to do it.

• Love 7

I know this green bean crap recipe is snark worthy - but LOL I was looking at Jill's list of recipes on her blog (https://www.dillardfamily.com/category/recipes/)  and I have to say that the refreshing chicken salad is my favorite. https://www.dillardfamily.com/2018/05/refreshing-chicken-salad/

ETA:  I really love the 3-4 TBS of mayo for 12 ounces of chicken.  She says she really likes lemon- but I think she loves mayo even more. 

Don't you know she is hoping to get her own cooking show on UP?  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, truthtalk2014 said:

I know this green bean crap recipe is snark worthy - but LOL I was looking at Jill's list of recipes on her blog (https://www.dillardfamily.com/category/recipes/)  and I have to say that the refreshing chicken salad is my favorite. https://www.dillardfamily.com/2018/05/refreshing-chicken-salad/

ETA:  I really love the 3-4 TBS of mayo for 12 ounces of chicken.  She says she really likes lemon- but I think she loves mayo even more. 

Don't you know she is hoping to get her own cooking show on UP?  

But, she uses canned chicken! Nothing she makes is fresh. She could take a left over rubbery chicken breast cooked at 450, and use that for the chicken salad.

For the hell of it I Googled images of "Italian chicken potatoes green beans" and was shocked to find that most of what I saw didn't look too much better than Jill's. Personally, I'd omit the butter. It looks like it makes the dish soggy. The potatoes and chicken don't crisp, they just end up swimming in an inch of melted fat. 

• Love 10

I am curious if she makes IZ eat that crap.  Does she grind it up for Sam?  Does she pack a lunch for Deredick to take to law school classes?  

You know she packs a lunch for Deredick (I just love typing that).  I'm sure she transports it with the two children each day and they eat the recipe of the day mess in the car.  Oh the horrors!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

That recipe was floating around Pinterest at least six years ago. 

I've made this exact dinner, but I used fresh green beans and oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic instead of the Italian dressing. Oh, and I only cooked it for 30 minutes instead of the 60 the Pinterest recipe called for because I Googled the baking times for all three. The beans and chicken needed 20-25 and the potatoes needed 30. I don't recall mine being so liquidy. However, it was very tasty.

About the wrestling with daddy video ~ I only watched the first few minutes but if wrestling is Israel's new favorite thing, why wasn't he wrestling back? Neither Israel nor Sam seemed to know how to react to Derick and neither seemed to initiate any physical actions.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 18
On 9/14/2018 at 6:40 PM, BetyBee said:

As for Jill homeschooling those boys to surpass their peers?  No Way!  That will never happen.  Derrick gets a real education and doesn't allow his children to do the same?  Shame on him!

She might be able to teach better than the peers that they have because all her peers will be in their cousins.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I think you're 100% right, with the possible exception of the word "likes." I don't think he's a happy person, and I don't think he "likes" his life, but he has chosen it.

I still don't think it was what he envisioned. I think he watched the Duggars on TV and wanted to be part of a big, happy Christian family. He saw himself marrying a pretty, pious Christian girl who would have sex with him, and take care of him, and provide for him financially. Maybe if she (and her family) had been what he expected, they would have brought out the better part of his nature. What he got has brought out the worst -- although I don't think he had to dig deep to find it.

We've given Cathy a lot of credit over the years that has turned out to be undeserved, and we may have given Derick's father too much credit as well. Derick is arrogant, petty, and mean. He's passively-aggressively hostile to Jill, and -- at best -- indifferent to his own children. He may be an aberration, but he may also be the person he was raised to be. He showed up at the TTH for a reason -- we'll never know for sure what that was, and he may not know himself, either. He may have been looking for the love and acceptance that was missing from his life, or he may have been looking for a doormat spouse to shit all over.

THIS ^^^^^^

I personally agree sooooo much that if life with the Duggars had been what Derick envisioned, it would have brought out the better part of his nature. We would still have first year of marriage Derick, not the sad sack we have today! He seemed pretty happy through the first part of his missioncation, when IMO things all fell apart. He seemed content with his life on that episode when Jessa and Bin visited, and I never thought that about him again after that episode, which I think was a season finale! Something definitely happened, and things went off the rails. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

Derick and Jilly both have such an unearned and overinflated sense of self importance, that even if they are unhappy, I don’t think they’ll realize it has anything to do with them. It’s TLC/Liberals/The devil just trying to bring them down.  They both think they are totally #nailing life. Because Jesus.

Jesus will make sure Derick gets through law school with minimal effort, and get him a job a crusader against evil Liberal agendas. Jesus will make Jill an awesome teacher. I think they literally think God is a magic genie that will just make every fall into place because they Instagram themselves at church or highlighting their bibles. Any unhappiness they feel is just their faith being tested. Even if he flunks out of law school, it will be because Jesus didn’t want him to do that anymore. They honestly believe that of God wants Izzy and Sam to go to college, it will just happen. And if they don’t get it it’s because it’s “his will”, not because their barley literate mother couldn’t properly educate them. Their arrogance will never allow them to see anything that happens to them as their fault. 

Just remember that they're perfect and if things do not go their way it's because of the other people who were against them.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

He may have been looking for the love and acceptance that was missing from his life, or he may have been looking for a doormat spouse to shit all over.

Porque no los dos? Don't forget children to simultaneously flaunt, devalue, and neglect.

• Love 13

The million dollar question is would Deredick have turn to the Duggars if his dad was alive and healthy. I do not think we should be blaming his dad for the way he turn out. I put more of the blame on Cathy since she is one of his enablers. Jill uses Deredick also. She was so desperate for love and acceptance from someone so she was "in love" with the first man who gave her the time of day. She acts like a silly thirteen year old girl with her first crush. I also do not think Deredick was happy in their first year of marriage especially since Jill got pregnant so fast. I think his dad was a decent hard working family man. I do find it interesting how Cathy and Deredick keep saying his dad ended up in heaven after finding God before he died. Maybe his dad was not religious enough for him, and he felt "abused" because of it. JB is the same way when he comes to his dad because *gasp* daddy was not religious enough to suit him. Funny how the both of them abused their own children and turn out to be a couple of holier than thou narcissistic, narrow minded, hateful, arrogant bigots.

I also find it interesting that Dan seems to be living a typical conservative Christian life...wife who works (or at least did before baby), no honeymoon baby, etc. I wonder if Derick expected his first year of marriage to be like Dan's, but instead ended up with Jill cling a long and an immediate pregnancy. I could see him being happy for JB's approval about the honeymoon baby, but I wonder if the marriage would have gotten off to a better start for him if Jill had been working as a real midwife, or at least studying for it to occupy her time while he worked, while they delayed kids and slowly got to know each other. Regardless of whether Derick would have been happier (and I believe he would), I'm sure their marriage would be a hell of a lot stronger had his happened!

i'm torn, though, because a lot of people think having a baby too soon will be awesome until it actually arrives! I think it's normal to some extent to idealize having a baby with your new partner, especially if you have never had sex before! My ex, who I dumped after almost two years because he never wanted marriage or children, talked constantly about babies in the beginning. Usually after, ummm, intimacy (sorry if TMI lol!) he would say something like, "your babies would be beautiful!" or "I wonder if we had a child someday, if it would look more like me or you," or even, "if we had a child, would you want a boy or a girl? What would you want to name it?" This is from someone who has been fairly certain his entire life that he never wants kids (though it's obvious why I was mislead about this for quite a while, haha!). I was his first real love, like Jill was for Derick, and it could be he loved the idea of doing what sex was ummm, kind of meant for with his first partner, but maybe regretted it before the pee stick was dry. I know my ex would have been HORRIFIED if I'd really gotten pregnant, but I think guys like the idea of having a baby with their super new love when it's just a daydream. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 11

I think Derick would have been much better off emotionally and maturity-wise waiting for at least five years before starting a family.  He would have had time to possibly find himself (he obviously hasn't yet) and to help Jill get some education if that was truly important to him.  I'm not sure Derick knows yet what is important to him, but I think the option would have helped him.

• Love 14
On 9/14/2018 at 2:26 PM, farmgal4 said:

Are you kidding?  I’m probably going to catch some flak for saying this, but unless a child has some type of issue physically or mentally, that’s nothing more than lazy parenting, and it’s unacceptable.

You get no flak from me!  I don't know what the deal is with kids and why some do it quickly and some don't.  Not a parent but my niece was stubborn as all get out about the potty.  She is a smart girl but was nearly 4 when she agreed to do it.  My sister tried everything.  I had a friend call and pretend she was Barbie (my niece loved Barbie) to encourage her and while she was excited Barbie called her it didn't work.  What worked was a playdate with a friend.  The friends mom looked at my niece, said you look like you have to go potty, picked her up and plopped her on the toilet.  It worked.  I don't know why it took so long but I know my sister tried.  According to my mother, we all did it fairly early.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

You get no flak from me!  I don't know what the deal is with kids and why some do it quickly and some don't.  Not a parent but my niece was stubborn as all get out about the potty.  She is a smart girl but was nearly 4 when she agreed to do it.  My sister tried everything.  I had a friend call and pretend she was Barbie (my niece loved Barbie) to encourage her and while she was excited Barbie called her it didn't work.  What worked was a playdate with a friend.  The friends mom looked at my niece, said you look like you have to go potty, picked her up and plopped her on the toilet.  It worked.  I don't know why it took so long but I know my sister tried.  According to my mother, we all did it fairly early.

Lots of kids are like this.  My sister had a package of Disney Princess underpants taped to the bathroom wall for months as an incentive for my niece.  What worked?  She was in a daycare that separated the toddlers based on whether they were potty trained.  When she got to the point where she was the oldest kid in her group and all of the other kids her age that she liked to play with were in the next room; she stopped using diapers overnight.

As for Izzy, he seems so anxious and worried all the time; I hope they're not pressuring him to use the potty if he's not ready.  Poor kid, I want to hug him and tell him it is ok.

• Love 10
On 9/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, ginger90 said:

New recipe post:

Easy Baked Italian Chicken ‘N Sides

Sep 15, 2018 | Recipes | 3 

My mother-in-law makes this meal frequently, especially when delivering a meal to a friend.  This past week I took meals to two friends of ours so this recipe came in super handy! It’s so simple and tastes delicious!

Makes one 9×13″ pan (4-6 servings)

4-6 chicken breasts (depending on size), boneless, skinless, thawed

3-4 potatoes, medium, (or equivalent small red potatoes), washed, cubed

2 cans green beans, or 2-3 cups fresh or frozen green beans

1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), cut into slices

1 pkg. Italian dressing dry mix

Grease 9×13″ pan. Place thawed chicken in middle of pan. Place cubed potatoes to one side of pan and drained green beans to other side of pan. Dot everything with sliced butter. Sprinkle with seasoning package. Bake covered at 450 degrees for 60-90 min (for large chicken breasts), or at 350 for one hour (for small chicken breasts), until internal temperature of chicken reaches at least 160 degrees (doesn’t hurt to be a little over this!).

Note: you can easily substitute potatoes and green beans for other vegetables (e.g. carrots, sweet potatoes, fresh asparagus, etc.)

541AF1B2-5AF0-438A-BB6F-2AB80C6C7556.jpeg

Not a bad concept but cooking green beans that long makes them look like that above.  Way too long and it makes them mushy.  She used canned and she should put the beans in very last minute.  Fresh maybe cook a bit longer.  60-90 min needs a harder veg.  I too can smell this thru the screen.  I *loathe* the smell of canned green beans.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

That makes me sad.  Kids can take a huge amount of time to do just about anything.  Dickhead looked really impatient and inconvenienced in that video.  Not dad like at all.  Heck, I don't even have any and I am more engaged with kids when I see them.  Kids do remember how they are treated.  For a very long time.

Just think how much more these kids would get out of playtime if mom put down the GD phone, quit recording and engaged.  

What’s the real purpose of this nearly 8 minute video (and all the others)?  Auditioning for UP?

• Love 14