Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, rainclouds said:

Was this discussed? Izzy asking Derick who will take care of him, since mommy won't wake up? Does Jill sleep in or spend the day in bed? I find this weird. 

I don't. The Duggars used to stay up late and wake up late (like noon?), so it would not surprise me in the least if she's retained those habits. It also wouldn't surprise me if she put her own needs ahead of those of her kids. She's the most Michelle-like of all the daughters, in my opinion.

Edit: I should clarify to say that "weird," yes. Surprising, no.

Edited by graefin
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Not that it applies, because I’m not there........first born children can regress when the second comes along. ? 

You bet! DD was trained right at three. Two weeks later, her little brother came along and suddenly pull-ups were needed again.  It made me realize that perhaps *I* had been trained to read her cues and get her to the bathroom in time.  Distraction with the new baby wasn’t allowing me to stay on top of it.  Fast forward to 2018, she’s off at college with no issues. ?

• Love 12
12 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I will have to respectfully disagree with you here. Early childhood education is critical. If children don't learn how to read well in first and second grade, they will struggle for the rest of their school years. Children develop a love of learning (or fail to do so) early on, and a large part of that comes from their early experiences.

It's not just that Jill is dumb and uneducated -- which she is -- it's also that there is no indication that Jill has any talent for teaching. Some people are natural teachers, others aren't; I'm sure we all have teachers in our pasts who we remember with tremendous fondness for their ability to make algebra make sense, or who made history come alive, or who finally made sense of what adverbs were. That's not Jill.

Jill also has no understanding of early childhood development. We see this over and over with her assigning tasks to Izzy that aren't age appropriate (memorize this verse from Acts!). She and Derick also seem (to me) to be very punishment oriented and are far more comfortable reprimanding than encouraging.

I agree with the other posters who say Derick doesn't give a shit about those boys -- he's 100% about Derick. I do think, though, that when they start embarrassing him -- when his colleagues find out that they can't read or add, that they don't know what a cell or a molecule is, and that they can't find the US on a map -- he might start thinking about public school.

I was trying to avoid the "homeschooling parents are always inadequate and the only qualified teacher is the one who's been through a master's degree program" homeschooling wars (not the case - a doofus educator somewhere along the way thought that I was being "lazy" in math because I'm so gifted verbally, and when I changed schools, he sent me from my struggle in improper fractions to the second half of 7th grade advanced algebra, from which I never recovered - "WTF are letters doing in the middle of my numbers?  "Solve for X"?!?!?!!!), but I take your point.

8 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I also see Izzy looking lost and fearful. In the slide video that Jessa posted, he says over and over "look at me, look at me!" He doesn't look happy and carefree, he looks fearful and in desperate need of affirmation. It may just be his personality, but I really don't think he gets any positive reinforcement at home, and I don't think that's going to improve.

Well, some of that is the age, I think; but we know why Izzy in particular does it, because Jill has shown it in video after video.  He asks her questions or makes a comment or observation; Jill responds without even looking at him, continuing to stare straight ahead at the video camera.

3 hours ago, graefin said:

He obviously regards her highly enough to entrust his children's education to her?

Yeah, I think any thoughts that Derick thinks Jill might be inadequate in any way, are projection or wishful thinking on the part of the posters ascribing him. 

I think the Duggars have a homeschooling spiel they lay on people which goes "parents have been teaching their children from time immemorial, and for hundreds of years they did just as well as these qualified teachers, regardless of the level of education of the parent!  One-on-one attention, and all that!"

I also think Derick is, not to put too fine a point on it, still dazzled by the fact that Jill is a real live woman present and willing to have sex with him; in short, he's whipped.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Lukeysboat said:

That video is strange on many levels. Why is Izzy worried? Why is Jill so adamant he answer her question when he obviously is uninterested? Why does she post videos of a house that is so messy?

But what I noticed most is Derick’s body language with Israel. He stands with arms crossed and then eventually puts his hands in his pockets. He doesn’t show being receptive of Israel. If this were a one-time thing maybe I wouldn’t think much of it, but it seems like this dismissive attitude is the norm. Wouldn’t he pick up his son or sit down with him and assure him that he doesn’t need to worry? It’s just weird. He’s weird. 

You forgot Jill's "quickly!"  Because children in their world are trained and expected to answer and obey instantly:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2014/06/quoting-quiverfull-the-four-points-of-obedience-for-the-duggar-kids/

From page 44 of the book “Growing Up Duggar” in a section on why children being obedient in all things to the parents is important.

Obedience must be:

Instant. We answer with an immediate, prompt, “Yes ma’am!” or “Yes, sir!” as we set out to obey. (This response is important to let the authority know you heard what he or she asked you to do and that you are going to get it done as soon as possible.) Delayed obedience is really disobedience.

• Love 11

Isn't Jackson dyslexic? I wonder how many of the Duggar kids can't read well because they needed special help with reading, and of course didn't get it? I hope Izzy and Sam don't have any type of learning disability that requires special help for a few years, because they won't get it. Just a shame to waste a mind due to a lack of caring.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Also, the title she chose for a video of Samuel, was odd too. “Samuel Dillard flirts with his Momma- August 2018”

That's some Motherboy level weirdness right there. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, queenanne said:

You forgot Jill's "quickly!"  Because children in their world are trained and expected to answer and obey instantly:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2014/06/quoting-quiverfull-the-four-points-of-obedience-for-the-duggar-kids/

Oh, yes! She's done the "quickly!" or "hurry up!" so many times now I've lost count. They're filming a video for social media, not rushing to catch a train, for fuck's sake. This puts it in a whole different light. Poor kid.

4 hours ago, Lukeysboat said:

But what I noticed most is Derick’s body language with Israel. He stands with arms crossed and then eventually puts his hands in his pockets.

Yep, and at one point it looked like he let out a sigh (like of frustration or exasperation) and changed his physical stance, as if he were growing weary and merely tolerating Israel's silliness.

What terrible parents.

• Love 17

New blog post:

Israel and Samuel Enjoy Playtime with Papa

Sep 15, 2018 | Family Blog, Photos | 0 

Israel and Samuel always look forward to each evening when Papa (Derick) comes home and they eat supper then get to play for a little bit before bed! This video is from one of those recent play times. Israel’s favorite thing right now is to wrestle. 

Video:

After watching the video I wish I could rescue those poor little boys from their horrendous parents.  It just reinforces the fact that is so messed up that you need to get a license to drive a car, operate a business, or get married, but having a raising kids is pretty much a free-for-all. SMH.

These two dimwits should not be allowed to babysit, let alone raise kids.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 19
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Isn’t that just ducky? Israel is already a very anxious kid, a worrier.  Whether nature or nurture, he is who he is. So what does Dillwad do?  When Israel expresses his concern that his father is going to leave him with his sleeping mother, something that obviously makes him even more nervous, Dillwad feeds his anxiety to the point where he is cowering under the desk which we’ve already seen is Israel’s safe space when his idiot parents deliberately heighten his fears rather than alleve them.  And films it and puts it online for the world to see.  Way to parent there, a**hole. 

My new mantra is ‘Free Israel’.

I have almost no respect for Jill and Derick, but I can't get worked up over this video.  I didn't see a kid cowering under a desk, I saw him hiding, finding something, and coming out giggling.  My toddler does this type of thing all the time.  I've also noticed (from hanging out in my Moms Club), that some kids ask questions like this even if there isn't a problem.  I wouldn't put it past Jill to sleep in late, but I've seen little kids stress about what they are going to eat for dinner and if they will have food even though mom makes them food every evening.  This honestly looks like regular toddler behavior.  I snark a lot on Jilll's parenting, but this to me is no big deal.  The kid is used to dad getting him up, and hopefully Jill will rise to the task and do her part every morning now.

• Love 14

You know, I just remembered when the producer asked the adult Duggar children how many total birthdays they have celebrated so far....Jill's response was "huh, huh, huh, I leave the math stuff up to Derick". ..Good choice, Derick, in having this person home school your children. I doubt Jill could home school her sons properly past 2nd grade.

I also found it unsettling in that video about Israel being concerned that Jill sleeps in late and no one there to prepare a breakfast for him...the kid hurried in the other room and hid under the desk. Jill determined for an answer, follows him in there, TURNS ON THE LIGHTS, and continues to persist for an answer. I'm sorry, but she's putting silly, undue pressure on her son that just isn't necessary for such a trivial thing. She's determined to get him to comply. How could Derick, who wasn't raised this way not see what's wrong in his own household?

• Love 19

New recipe post:

Easy Baked Italian Chicken ‘N Sides

Sep 15, 2018 | Recipes | 3 

My mother-in-law makes this meal frequently, especially when delivering a meal to a friend.  This past week I took meals to two friends of ours so this recipe came in super handy! It’s so simple and tastes delicious!

Makes one 9×13″ pan (4-6 servings)

4-6 chicken breasts (depending on size), boneless, skinless, thawed

3-4 potatoes, medium, (or equivalent small red potatoes), washed, cubed

2 cans green beans, or 2-3 cups fresh or frozen green beans

1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), cut into slices

1 pkg. Italian dressing dry mix

Grease 9×13″ pan. Place thawed chicken in middle of pan. Place cubed potatoes to one side of pan and drained green beans to other side of pan. Dot everything with sliced butter. Sprinkle with seasoning package. Bake covered at 450 degrees for 60-90 min (for large chicken breasts), or at 350 for one hour (for small chicken breasts), until internal temperature of chicken reaches at least 160 degrees (doesn’t hurt to be a little over this!).

Note: you can easily substitute potatoes and green beans for other vegetables (e.g. carrots, sweet potatoes, fresh asparagus, etc.)

541AF1B2-5AF0-438A-BB6F-2AB80C6C7556.jpeg

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

New recipe post:

My mother-in-law makes this meal frequently, especially when delivering a meal to a friend.  This past week I took meals to two friends of ours so this recipe came in super handy! It’s so simple and tastes delicious!

Grease 9×13″ pan. Place thawed chicken in middle of pan. Place cubed potatoes to one side of pan and drained green beans to other side of pan. Dot everything with sliced butter. Sprinkle with seasoning package. Bake covered at 450 degrees for 60-90 min (for large chicken breasts), or at 350 for one hour (for small chicken breasts), until internal temperature of chicken reaches at least 160 degrees (doesn’t hurt to be a little over this!).

Note: you can easily substitute potatoes and green beans for other vegetables (e.g. carrots, sweet potatoes, fresh asparagus, etc.)

Ok. I can pretty much smell this. Ewww. Sorry. 

• Love 13
45 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

New recipe post:

Isn't Professor Jilly Muffin already phrasing the above wrong?  The way Jill phrased it, the inclusion of "for" makes it sound like her default dish starts with carrots, sweet potatoes, etc., and you're replacing them with green beans and white potatoes, instead of the other way around.  I'd say either "you can easily swap out potatoes and green beans for [other vegetables]", or "you can easily substitute [replace] potatoes and green beans with [other vegetables]."

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 15

Why does one have to "drain" fresh or frozen green beans? Why does she want to bake chicken breasts into hockey pucks? Things of the same size tend to cook at the same rate, add the beans and cubed potatoes later, jeez Jill at least watch the Food channel.

• Love 7

Um, are the "sides" supposed to be swimming in liquid? 

And, yes, the substitution sentence should be the other way around, although I've seen others construct the phrase this way also. The way she lists ingredients and measurements is weird too, but what else is new?

Edited by graefin
  • Love 7

Other than the wrong temperature for larger chicken breasts( and a little too long too), this recipe sounds pretty good. I think the basic recipe  is copied from a written recipe Cathy gave her.  There are complete sentences along with words Jill’s never used- place and dot, for example. Jill probably added the veggie substitution language- which is why it’s wrong. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I think having Jesus-sanctioned sex, pregnancy bragging rights, and spitting out kids like a pitching machine for the highest possible headcount/married years ratio matters way more than raising the actual kids they have

I've always thought this too. Jill likes being pregnant because it fulfills the only role she knows, but resents having to be a nurturing, emotionally invested mother. She seems to focus on the number of babies she might have instead of the two sweet boys she has right now.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

New recipe post:

That dish really makes me queasy and I'm not even pregnant.  I will say one good thing about it.  It's not four times as much.

I watched a couple of the videos of the stupid couple.  When the cameras go off, there is no way not are not mean,  overbearing and very uncaring parents. Iz definitely seems to be afraid most of the time and Deredick is just an ass with his hands stuffed in his pockets. 

• Love 14
35 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

The chicken dish wouldn't look so unappetizing if she would use less butter and uncover it during the last stage of baking to let the chicken breasts and potatoes brown a little.

Maybe Cathy does, and Jill can't tell the difference.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Derrick surely knows Jill is completely lacking in education. He graduated from college. He has to have seen the deficits in her learning by now. 

Turning the education of his son's over to her is a complete dereliction of his duty as their father. I just don't know if he is doing it as a way to keep Jill busy or if he sees it as a way to make sure his kids never learn to think for themselves or dream of something bigger that he can't control. Maybe it's both. Because as long as the boys are students at their grubby little dining nook table, both the boys and Jill will be busy, under his thumb, and unable to ever really develop the way they might otherwise. 

I suspect that may suit Derrick just fine.

Sure, he graduated from college, but then he became even more religious and eventually sought out a relationship with Jim Bob Duggar, which eventually lead to him falling for and marrying fucking Jill. It's highly likely he sees nothing lacking in Jill's education. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

I've said this before, but Jill can't cook -- at all.

That would be fine. Lots of people aren't great cooks, and I might not make fun of her for being a bad cook if she 1) hadn't spent her whole life "training" to be a homemaker and 2) didn't blog about cooking.

If she were to simply acknowledge that she isn't very good, and she's learning, I'd cut her some slack, but she's a Duggar, and she's cooked before, so she's an expert!

Day play time is a complete load of bs. I would bet money that this was the inaugural night of "Daddy Play Time" and that it won't be repeated any time soon. Derick really doesn't seem to "have a heart for children."

I cannot even imagine cooking mushy, canned green beans for an hour!  She's trying to cook hard, raw potatoes, raw chicken, and reheating cooked green bean at the same time!

• Love 22
4 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

The chicken dish wouldn't look so unappetizing if she would use less butter and uncover it during the last stage of baking to let the chicken breasts and potatoes brown a little.

Jill's cooking does not need more brown.

• Love 15