Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

His textbook looked suspicious to me. It was hardcover. 

... why is that suspicious?  Are most textbooks paperback now or something? I have to ask because I'm old, heh

Law school text books are almost always hardcover.  Most of them are "classics" by esteemed authors and come in recognizable colors, blue for torts, red for constitutional law.  They are quite fancy for text books, and pretty expensive. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

... why is that suspicious?  Are most textbooks paperback now or something? I have to ask because I'm old, heh

Law school text books are almost always hardcover.  Most of them are "classics" by esteemed authors and come in recognizable colors, blue for torts, red for constitutional law.  They are quite fancy for text books, and pretty expensive. 

I’m Australian, not American, but doesn’t the consistently changing nature of the law render legal textbooks partially obsolete pretty quickly? 

The only hardcovers I can recall in my previous employment in the legal system was those journal binders.

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 1

Hummus Recipe

Sep 3, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

This hummus recipe is another one of our favorites!  I’ve adapted it from our friend’s cookbook (The Two Sisters Cookbook). It’s pretty simple, super tasty & cheap!

Makes about 2 cups

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup water

1 garlic clove

1 T. cumin

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

2 (15.5oz) cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained

Combine everything EXCEPT chickpeas in blender. Blend for 10 seconds. Add drained chickpeas and blend until smooth.

Hummus is delicious when served as a spread on tortillas or bagels, or it can be used as a dip with pretzels, vegetables or chips.

DEA46214-347A-4A2F-92E5-57661790D184.jpeg

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Hummus Recipe

This hummus recipe is another one of our favorites!  I’ve adapted it from our friend’s cookbook (The Two Sisters Cookbook). It’s pretty simple, super tasty & cheap!

Makes about 2 cups

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup water

1 garlic clove

1 T. cumin

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Combine everything EXCEPT chickpeas in blender. Blend for 10 seconds. Add drained chickpeas and blend until smooth.

Hummus is delicious when served as a spread on tortillas or bagels, or it can be used as a dip with pretzels, vegetables or chips.

What, no tahini? 

• Love 19
44 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

News flash Deredick! You certainly are not working heartily for the Lord. You use the Lord to cover up for your biased ignorance and hatred of certain others. In your and Jill's pathetic mind work is a dirty four letter and labor is a dirty five letter word (unless labor is for bringing a child into the world to join God's Army and to help spread your vision of the bible and what the Lord wants us to do and believe.)

Edited by bigskygirl
12 hours ago, kokapetl said:

I’m Australian, not American, but doesn’t the consistently changing nature of the law render legal textbooks partially obsolete pretty quickly? 

The only hardcovers I can recall in my previous employment in the legal system was those journal binders.

Generally in the US (especially in first year courses) study begins with an examination of the oldest, most fundamental principles of a field of law first and then moves on to more contemporary things that build on those past cases (either by affirming or reversing them).  So the essential basis of a text of a textbook doesn't really change much.

I would say the exception would be courses designed around mastering a particular statute (like the uniform commercial code taught in certain courses). Sometimes learning general legal principles is less important than sending students out the door with a clear understanding of a current law.

Right now Derrick is probably reading cases about things like a doctor promising someone their burned hand will be as good as new after a skin graft but whoops the graft skin came from the guy's chest and now the hand is covered with hair. It's about the idea of what a promise is and what damages really means. Very basic stuff but it is essential to master it before you can move on to learning about anything more sophisticated.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

I wonder if Derick is working hard on deleting negative comments today. There were only four comments. Two that said Happy Labor Day and two that said Amen.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Hummus Recipe

Makes about 2 cups

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup water

1 garlic clove

1 T. cumin

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Yay a new recipe! 

I don’t like hummus...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Hummus Recipe

Makes about 2 cups

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup water

1 garlic clove

1 T. cumin

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

I second the skepticism about the lack of tahini. For a Jill "recipe" this is not the worst. She does have a consistent color palette, though, doesn't she?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t recall seeing this previously , so I’m putting it here.

Video (actually, a slideshow)

I started watching this and got about thirty seconds in when I had to stop, and the phrase "God I hate them" filtered across my brain.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, floridamom said:

Although Derick's father was a law enforcement officer, he passed away from a personal medical event, not in the line of duty. Would the insurance pay out be less if not in the line of duty?

Since quitting WalMart, Derick has had no paying job that I know of. If I remember correctly, the Dillards didn't work FOR that missions program, Jill stated that they worked  ALONG SIDE of them in Danger America. How are they and how have they been paying their bills? Who actually is paying for his law school tuition, which is not cheap by any means. After pontificating their financial beliefs and lifestyle as debt free, etc.. I think they should clarify how they have been living and how they are paying for this schooling. When one goes public with information, they are fair game to be asked specifics about that subject, IMO. When things 'change up',, they should explain why things changed.

Daddy Dillard was active law enforcement when he passed away.  I would expect that he would have life insurance as part of his benefit package, a pension, and private life insurance.  His pension payout could have easily cleared half a million dollars if he had been on the force for 30 years.  I also wouldn’t be surprised if Cathy had been carrying a million+ private policy on him.  The Dillard’s wouldn’t have been able to claim wrongful death against the department for extra $$$ but private donors may still have contributed as well.  

Derick also may have been able to tap into extra scholarships or was eligible for extra financial aid because his father had passed as well during his undergraduate years meaning more was available for law school.

I 100% believe Cathy is bankrolling them now.

• Love 14

No matter how much the family got when daddy kicked the bucket, it still had to be divided 3 ways, with mom, Deartick and his brother.  That's a lot of financial support over quite a few years to ask of an insurance policy.  Even one for a million+.  And none of these folks strike me as investment saavy, so I don't personally buy that they've all had these buckets of cash to live on (including the TLC money) without having been bankrolled by others.  

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, leighdear said:

No matter how much the family got when daddy kicked the bucket, it still had to be divided 3 ways, with mom, Deartick and his brother.  That's a lot of financial support over quite a few years to ask of an insurance policy.  Even one for a million+.  And none of these folks strike me as investment saavy, so I don't personally buy that they've all had these buckets of cash to live on (including the TLC money) without having been bankrolled by others.  

Cathy is an accountant.  I don’t think she would have necessarily mismanaged the money and she has since remarried.  If she kept that money separate to go straight to the boys and managed it so they didn’t have full access at 15 & 18, then I suspect she/they are doing okay.  Dan certainly didn’t make enough at that Boy Scout job to support himself long-term and no one knows what he’s doing now.  There’s $$$ somewhere.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, saylubee said:

Cathy is an accountant.  

I keep forgetting that there are a few Duggar-adjacent folks that have more than a 3rd grade education and actually understand a few practical things about the real world!  *LOL*  

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, saylubee said:

Cathy is an accountant.  I don’t think she would have necessarily mismanaged the money and she has since remarried.  If she kept that money separate to go straight to the boys and managed it so they didn’t have full access at 15 & 18, then I suspect she/they are doing okay.  Dan certainly didn’t make enough at that Boy Scout job to support himself long-term and no one knows what he’s doing now.  There’s $$$ somewhere.

Wasn't Dan Dullard's Boy Scout job a management position? 

Considering Rick Dullard's relatively young age when he died, that small town, Arkansas police forces probably don't pay that much, and college expenses for two kids, I really doubt that the Dullards and Cathy are living off insurance payments from his death. Cathy being an accountant doesn't mean much -- having a degree doesn't stop her (or anyone else) from being an anti-science bigot, so maybe she ignores basic tenets of accounting, too. 

• Love 16
31 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Considering Rick Dullard's relatively young age when he died, that small town, Arkansas police forces probably don't pay that much, and college expenses for two kids, I really doubt that the Dullards and Cathy are living off insurance payments from his death. Cathy being an accountant doesn't mean much -- having a degree doesn't stop her (or anyone else) from being an anti-science bigot, so maybe she ignores basic tenets of accounting, too. 

I also seriously doubt Cathy got around one million dollars from insurance policies and other assistance benefits when her husband died. I also not think Deredick's dad was on the force for 30 years. If she is handing money over to the boys instead of the boys getting full time jobs with benefits along with their wives working then she is in my opinion, mismanaging the money. There is no excuse why Deredick and his brother could not be working. I know people who work full time, married or not married with children, and they still can manage school without their mother paying for everything. It irks me Deredick's father was a law enforcement officer who put his life on the line and died at a young age while one of his sons is a lazy ass possibly living off his death benefits. What a slap in the face to his memory.

5 hours ago, cdp73 said:

We *may* be making progress.  No gummy smile in this pic.

That’s a surprisingly good picture of Jill. Either she’s wearing makeup or Derick (?) knows how to photograph her so that the shadows make it look as if she does.

• Love 1

That hummus photo slays me.  I follow links to tons of recipes and everything is beautifully photographed, the perfect napkin folded beside the plate, vegetables artfully strewn across a vintage dish.  Jill's bowl is crooked, a bag of pretzels ripped open and hastily DUMPED on the platter--all artfully displayed on a raw wooden sill with a scrap of lawn peeking out.  Not exactly a 17th century Dutch still life.......

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Heathen said:

I have no idea what he got paid but I was shocked when I heard the disparity between police officer salaries in different towns/counties.  Where I am it is a great salary but our office had recruited a man from a town about 1.5 hours north of us and the job he came from paid about $15/hour.  I was shocked!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I have no idea what he got paid but I was shocked when I heard the disparity between police officer salaries in different towns/counties.  Where I am it is a great salary but our office had recruited a man from a town about 1.5 hours north of us and the job he came from paid about $15/hour.  I was shocked!

@Natalie68  If you do not mind me asking, are you in the law enforcement field? I know they pay MT State Prison Guards around !5.00 to $16.00 a hour at one time. Big surprise when they threaten to go on strike. Small counties and cities in Montana are having a hard time keeping law enforcement officers do to low pay and not enough back up officers when needed.

It still bugs me how lazy Deredick is compared to his father's line of work. I wonder if Deredick would have turn out this way if his dad was still alive. I do not think his step-father is too impressed with him and Jill.

2 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I live in a suburb that has a reputation for paying civil servants very, very well. I'm told there are multiple applications for every job opening, but a bigger suburb to the south that hires more officers and firefighters has a hard time filling positions. 

Having lived in small towns in the south, I think it's likely Rick Dullard didn't make all that much money and didn't carry that much insurance. After all, too, he was only 48. I very much doubt he had enough to pay for his sons' college educations AND bankroll Derelict and his family to this day. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

@Natalie68  If you do not mind me asking, are you in the law enforcement field? I know they pay MT State Prison Guards around !5.00 to $16.00 a hour at one time. Big surprise when they threaten to go on strike. Small counties and cities in Montana are having a hard time keeping law enforcement officers do to low pay and not enough back up officers when needed.

It still bugs me how lazy Deredick is compared to his father's line of work. I wonder if Deredick would have turn out this way if his dad was still alive. I do not think his step-father is too impressed with him and Jill.

Not at all!  No I am not but I used to work as non sworn staff at our campus PD (they are real police officers).  I managed the student security.  I think our officers start around $60K to 70K plus a ton of OT.  They also get fantastic benefits and can retire pretty early with full salary.  Our campus dept has also paid people to go through the academy.  I have heard our Highway Patrol has had a hard time hiring people.  I think these people deserve high pay.  Sure a lot of the time its pretty standard but your life is on the line sometimes.  We do get officers from big cities though that are tired of the really scary stuff they have had to deal with.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

I live in a suburb that has a reputation for paying civil servants very, very well. I'm told there are multiple applications for every job opening, but a bigger suburb to the south that hires more officers and firefighters has a hard time filling positions. 

Having lived in small towns in the south, I think it's likely Rick Dullard didn't make all that much money and didn't carry that much insurance. After all, too, he was only 48. I very much doubt he had enough to pay for his sons' college educations AND bankroll Derelict and his family to this day. 

Cathy may have gotten a police pension. My father was in LE and died of cancer not in the line of duty. My mother got a pension with money added for me until I turned 18.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, bythelake said:

Cathy may have gotten a police pension. My father was in LE and died of cancer not in the line of duty. My mother got a pension with money added for me until I turned 18.

My grandfather was a Detroit cop and retired after 25 years. His pension was only $2200 a month, and he worked when civil servants were treated better than they are now. 

Topic: My money (ha) is still on Jim Bob. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Topic: My money (ha) is still on Jim Bob. 

Ha ha, I think whether you're on Team Bank of Boob or Team Cathy Credit Union, the one thing we can all agree on is Derelict and Jill are most definitely NOT supporting themselves. For two grown adults pushing 30, that's pretty darn pathetic.

• Love 23
8 hours ago, Heathen said:

Wasn't Dan Dullard's Boy Scout job a management position? Screenshot_20180904-170604.thumb.jpg.5911b5d525f92e785da10e978959ba42.jpg

He was a Senior District Executive at the BS, according to Google the average salary is around 50k.

Dan is now a grant coordinator at a college.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bythelake said:

And Cathy may have lost it when she remarried.  Each state/town does their police and firefighter pension/ survivor payments independently.  So it is hard to say whether she got a generous survivor stipend or small one, whether he paid into social security and she got that for Dan( Derick was 18).  If she wants to pay for law school, that’s her choice.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Ha ha, I think whether you're on Team Bank of Boob or Team Cathy Credit Union, the one thing we can all agree on is Derelict and Jill are most definitely NOT supporting themselves. For two grown adults pushing 30, that's pretty darn pathetic.

Two supposedly grown adults who seemingly intend to keep procreating even though they can ill afford the ones they already have. 

Sam's expression makes him my favorite Duggar-adjacent at the moment.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, leighdear said:

No matter how much the family got when daddy kicked the bucket, it still had to be divided 3 ways, with mom, Deartick and his brother.

Why would it be divided 3 ways? When my husband passed away I was the sole beneficiary of both the life insurance we carried and the life insurance he had from his job. Neither amounted to much, but it did help supplement the kids' Social Security survivor's benefits so we didn't have move.

• Love 13