Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I’m beginning to wonder just exactly where Josh, Anna, Derick and Jill are supposed to work at? There is the normal (?) former reality tv cast issues of the fans dropping by their workplace to get a glimpse of them, etc. 

These 4, in addition, have rabid detractors that would ( and already have) publicize their work/school location, email addresses, etc., swamp any hiring company with protests( via email, social media, phone, and in person).  

I mentioned earlier an opportunity that someone else lost because of what their father said 35 years ago.  Just when is it and where is it that you think these 4 can work at?  I don’t see them even being able to work at Hobby Lobby. They will have to own their own business- if they can make a living at it due to bad publicity. 

Before you say ‘ they deserve it’, I want to remind you that Jazz will have a similar problem.  Long before Derick made his comments, this family used a fake name, hid their addresses and phone numbers. - yet still had strangers harassing them via phone and in person.  Part of that was due to the situation, but the reality show certainly threw them into the national public eye. She’s going to have the same publicity related employment issues as Derick. And, I bet her siblings will too. And their offspring. 

Years ago, people would fade into obscurity and get to go on with their lives... but these days things you or your family did decades ago never leave you. 

Edited by mythoughtis
Removed multiple duplicate paragraphs
  • Love 21

In addition to the good points @mythoughtis makes, there's also the fact that of the people mentioned, only Dreck has any experience in the "outside" world.  Simply getting up, dressing and reporting to a job is a skill they have never had to develop.  Having a boss who might not treat you with deference is something most of us have faced daily.  Co-workers who have different beliefs and who might ridicule the way you dress, live, or what you post on social media.  Customers who don't care how religious you might be, they want you to go above and beyond your job limits to meet their unreasonable demands.  Can you see any of the group dealing with this without walking out?

Except for Dreck, none of them are qualified for anything but entry level minimum wage positions.  I'm not sure any of them could flip a burger, much less take customer orders and count back change.  Retail might be a possibility, but again, I have difficulty picturing any of them standing up to the stress of management demands, petty co-workers, and customers who aren't fawning all over them because they recognize them from television.   

This doesn't mean they don't need to find a way to support themselves, but they need to get some actual training so they can get jobs that pay a decent wage and won't put themselves in a position where people come to gawk at them.  

• Love 17
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Derick straight up lied saying they were volunteers for TLC.

That is the most puzzling to me.  That is a huge lie to say publicly.  He didn't back down. But the other Duggs live a nice life. 

What is really going on? 

• Love 7

Things they could do for income...

The girls could work in a thrift store. They know they layout and way that it works from shopping there so much. 

They could plant a plot of vegetables to sell at a stand. Take that a step further and they could make homemade jellies and jams. The Roloffs have made this plan profitable. 

Become beekeepers. They could sell the honey. There’s actually a shortage of bees and if they could cultivate hives they could sell starter sets for other beekeepers. Anyone handy with wood and tools could build the hives themselves. It wouldn’t be hard to leave an acre of Duggar land for the girls to spread wildflower seeds on so the bees have ample pollen. 

Go into the egg business. You don’t have to make it super sized but a couple hundred chickens (my daughter has 125 and manages them just fine on her own or with her kids gathering the eggs). They could sell enough dozens to their fellow church members that would give them about $100-200 per week for food money. I know it’s not a lot but it’s more than what they have. 

If they weren’t so lazy they could go into a house or commercial cleaning business. There are a lot of exterior window cleaners in my area. They’d just need squeegees, spray cleaner, and ladders. Girls could do interiors. 

They like kids. Why not begin to manufacture small playsets or play houses? 

I hesitate to think a daycare but... 

What about a pet sitting or dog walking business? 

Ok. They might not be suited to anything I’ve mentioned above but that was just some free thinking. If they weren’t so lazy they could begin by using their brains and making something work out. They don’t need JB’s written approval. They just need to be motivated and put the first foot forward. 

• Love 17
43 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The girls could work in a thrift store. They know they layout and way that it works from shopping there so much. 

They could plant a plot of vegetables to sell at a stand. Take that a step further and they could make homemade jellies and jams. The Roloffs have made this plan profitable. 

Become beekeepers. They could sell the honey. There’s actually a shortage of bees and if they could cultivate hives they could sell starter sets for other beekeepers. Anyone handy with wood and tools could build the hives themselves. It wouldn’t be hard to leave an acre of Duggar land for the girls to spread wildflower seeds on so the bees have ample pollen. 

Go into the egg business. You don’t have to make it super sized but a couple hundred chickens (my daughter has 125 and manages them just fine on her own or with her kids gathering the eggs). They could sell enough dozens to their fellow church members that would give them about $100-200 per week for food money. I know it’s not a lot but it’s more than what they have. 

If they weren’t so lazy they could go into a house or commercial cleaning business. There are a lot of exterior window cleaners in my area. They’d just need squeegees, spray cleaner, and ladders. Girls could do interiors. 

Ok. They might not be suited to anything I’ve mentioned above but that was just some free thinking. If they weren’t so lazy they could begin by using their brains and making something work out. They don’t need JB’s written approval. They just need to be motivated and put the first foot forward. 

Yes, they are physically, emotionally and mentally able to perform those tasks. 

everyone of those tasks requires paying customers. Customers willing to ignore protesters standing between them and the Duggars. Protesters in their face,  calling their phone, Facebook accounts, etc.

My point is that  they will never be allowed to work in anonymity because people will seek them out and ruin the businesses of people that hire them. Do you want to  buy eggs from them only to find out someone egged your car? Buy from them at the thrift shop and have people following you to your car yelling at you?  Posting about you on social media for supporting someone whose against Jazz? 

Threatening to boycott your business for hiring them Don’t think it will happen? It did- that’s what the last several pages of this thread is about. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 14

I cannot imagine any of these Duggar girls doing anything for income. They all seem extremely lazy and have no drive. Since getting married, neither of them have shown any interest in anything. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Threatening to boycott your business for hiring them Don’t think it will happen? It did- that’s what the last several pages of this thread is about. 

Pardon me for not comprehending the magnitude of other people’s hate of them. I didn’t realize the river runs that deep. 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Pardon me for not comprehending the magnitude of other people’s hate of them. I didn’t realize the river runs that deep. 

The Joshgates and Derelict's tweets didn't help the Duggar Image, that's for sure. 

• Love 12

I think they could easily open and run their own thrift shop.  It's not that hard to start one, but you have to be prepared to do some work.  They already have the perfect motto ("Buy used and save the difference.")  They know what things should cost because they all have frequent flyer miles from thrift shopping.  They could feature their own little play room and take turns caring for the littles, and the older kids could help with sorting stuff or whatever.  I think it would be a perfect fit.  They should think about it.  There are never too many thrift shops for those of us who like to shop that way.

• Love 15

In a normal world, Derick could work full time as an accountant or a paralegal and go to night law school (which takes four years instead of three).  A time-honored way of entering the profession. You can support yourself and pay your tuition (3/4 per year).  It's not easy, but I have numerous friends who have done it.  However, it looks like his school does not have an evening program.  He could find another. But at this point he might have trouble getting an accounting job again, given the above discussion about bad publicity.  I bet Walmart would not want to be associated with his persona now. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

I cannot imagine any if these Duggar girls doing anything for income. They all seem extremely lazy and have no drive. Since getting married, neither of them have shown any interest in anything. 

And Jessa never showed any interest in anything even before she got married. Joy either.

• Love 11

They could still work.  Just from the celebs I follow, Taylor Swift’s dad worked for Merrill Lynch for years until her career really blew up.  Her childhood friends Red Headed Abigail (mentioned in Fifteen) and Brittany LaManna both have hundred of thousands of followers/fans and work normal jobs.  And Abigail was in one of the songs that went Top 10 detailing how she lost her virginity to an asshole.  Grant Gustin’s fiancé works as a physical therapist.  The Bates all have normal jobs.  Hell, even Jon Gosselin and some of the Sister Wives kids have normal people jobs. If the Duggars really wanted to, they WILL find work.  Or become self employed.  But they don’t want to.

• Love 19

I am a bit confused.  I haven't been watching much recently, but I thought TLC booted Derrick and Jill for remarks about Jazz.  So how are you keeping up with them?  Just on social media?  I did read a few pages back about Jill and FFF.  How does FFF work?  was she working for them?

The other thing is about Derrick and law school.

I'm a lawyer and I just heard about this law school thing, so I came here to see what people were saying.  I just can't fathom Derrick in first year law school classes, the ones where they really pepper you with questions in the Socratic method (remember The Paper Chase?).  He would come across as such a tool!  Maybe he sees a future in working in conservative impact litigation involving promoting religious freedom (cough cough antigay). 

Me, too.  It has been decades since I was in law school.  He must have been a decent student to get in.  I am not familiar with his law school, but somehow I doubt his Duggar connection would overcome a mediocre undergrad gpa or LSAT score.  If anyone is interested in having a taste of law school without going, I recommend the book "One L" by Scott Turow.   Law school is pretty intense, and it can be quite hard on a marriage.  It is also a bit expensive even for a commuter student.

Was Derrick an accounting major as undergrad?  I know several people who were accounting majors who went to law school either before or after picking up their CPA.  The thing I wonder about is his "stick-to-it-ness' as he didn't last long at Walmart, missioning with Jill, and whatever that church school stuff he just finished. 

• Love 1

I’ve never seen them take on any money making endeavor that didn’t involve their followers to contribute/buy something. They aren’t owed people handing them a living. They have obstacles to employment but they haven’t even tried to get actual jobs. A few extreme haters might try and track them down and cause problems but if they got completely off social media, I think it’s possible they’d be able to jobs. Maybe not Josh but I have zero sympathy for him. 

• Love 18

I was thinking about what jobs they could do, and since my dad's a dentist, I thought of a dentist's office! That would be the perfect place! They could be dental assistants or hygienists, and they would be in the back room with the patients, not out front. The dentist's name is on the sign, not the assistants / hygienists, and any crazy protestors would have to get past the receptionist first. Now, I know besides Derick, none of them have the education to pursue this, but it would be the perfect work environment for them! 

• Love 4

Derick would have a harder time getting a job because many employers look at a potential employee's SM foot print. Derick's SM is filled with a lot of things employers may find distasteful. Even if the employer agreed with Derick's views they still might not hire him because of Derick's very public statements to a large amount of SM followers.

Jill might get the job, but if it was dealing with the public I think she would be 'outed' eventually. Once the word got out I'm guessing many folks would contact the employer and share Derick's hate posts.

Memories fade but the internet is forever. I feel bad for young folks who post stupid shit as teenagers that when they know better they would never post.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5

A huge part of the problem, in addition to their laziness and complete lack of ambition, is their refusal to get qualified education/training from a reputable source that would give them a marketable skill.  JB pretty much taught them that if they watch an expert do something, then they are qualified to do that task themselves.

Of course they would also start with another disadvantage due to their lack of basic education - they would probably need remedial classes so they could handle the course work.  For example, since she fancies herself an aspiring midwife, Jill could go from CNA to LPN to RN, but I'm not sure she has the basic math and science background that would require.  Not even certain she could pass the remedial classes, since she has no idea how to function in a classroom.

Moot point, of course.  Jill has seen a childbirth, given birth to her own children, and now she's good to go in the obstetrics business.  

• Love 5

The Duggars best hope at this point in time is a Roloff-style fake farm tour. Buy some trees and plant even more to hide the landfill, plant pumpkins or strawberries etc for show, charge for parking, get in some carnival rides. Discount 20% off ride photos for anyone who manages to get a photo of sneaky Josh/Waldo/hamburglar skulking around the premises. Idiots will lap it up. 

And pray to god day and night that Justin or Jackson emerges from puberty a dreamboat. 

Jeremy Roloff was so hot. 

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I was thinking about what jobs they could do, and since my dad's a dentist, I thought of a dentist's office! That would be the perfect place! They could be dental assistants or hygienists, and they would be in the back room with the patients, not out front. The dentist's name is on the sign, not the assistants / hygienists, and any crazy protestors would have to get past the receptionist first. Now, I know besides Derick, none of them have the education to pursue this, but it would be the perfect work environment for them! 

What happen if they had to take care of a gay, lesbian, or liberal patient. There are heathens who could end up being their patient. They would need good people skills and actually be on time. Not a Duggar strong point. They also would need to have excellent oral health and good hygiene habits. Not a Duggar strong point either.

Edited by bigskygirl
11 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

The Duggars best hope at this point in time is a Roloff-style fake farm tour. Buy some trees and plant even more to hide the landfill, plant pumpkins or strawberries etc for show, charge for parking, get in some carnival rides. Discount 20% off ride photos for anyone who manages to get a photo of sneaky Josh/Waldo/hamburglar skulking around the premises. Idiots will lap it up. 

And pray to god day and night that Justin or Jackson emerges from puberty a dreamboat. 

Jeremy Roloff was so hot. 

And yet I am still surprised that there is a Justin. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Lunera said:

I cannot imagine any of these Duggar girls doing anything for income. They all seem extremely lazy and have no drive. Since getting married, neither of them have shown any interest in anything. 

Interestingly, I think the least laziest (married) Duggar girl has been Jill. She was the one who seemed gung ho about learning Spanish and about pursuing midwifery even though it was not necessarily though a legit path. But Jana is the hardest working Duggar girl.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

What happen if they had to take care of a gay, lesbian, or liberal patient. There are heathens who could end up being their patient. They would need good people skills and actually be on time. Not a Duggar strong point. They also would need to have excellent oral health and good hygiene habits. Not a Duggar strong point either.

I don't walk into my dentist with a big ole LIBERAL sign around my neck. Hell, you can't really even talk to the dentist or hygienist the majority of the time. They don't care about a person's ideologies. I'm sure that I've had dental work done by someone who doesn't line up with my belief system. It has never impacted my care. I'm sure that if a Duggar could get through dental assistant school, they will be professional and not ask me if I'm liberal or gay before working on my teeth.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't walk into my dentist with a big ole LIBERAL sign around my neck. Hell, you can't really even talk to the dentist or hygienist the majority of the time. They don't care about a person's ideologies. I'm sure that I've had dental work done by someone who doesn't line up with my belief system. It has never impacted my care. I'm sure that if a Duggar could get through dental assistant school, they will be professional and not ask me if I'm liberal or gay before working on my teeth.

I can see a Duggar family member asking that and refusing to work on you

• Love 3

I cannot see a Duggar getting through dental hygienist school because of their lack of decent education, being on time for school or a job, and having good hygiene habits and people skills. They would need to think of their patient's needs instead of their own needs. Being polite and being able to get along with all types of people and willing to learn are totally different concepts for the Duggars.

9 hours ago, jennblevins said:

Maybe they were volunteers in the sense of a Volunteer Military. I feel like that sort of exact-words-logic might appeal to Derick. 

I was one of the early members of the US Army post the draft.   I am also a women.  I  enlisted in 1978, as a college grad and having taught for five years prior to enlistment.  I felt a need to serve my country.

A volunteer service is one without a draft.  I am not sure what you mean by your comment about word logic.  We served by choice, exactly like all current members of the US military.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Bees require  lot of work and knowhow...Gone are the days that you could have a hive and, with minimal care, expect a nice honey harvest twice a year. Even experienced beekeepers  routinely lose at least 25% of their hives every winter (of course, that depends on the climate). The last couple of years here in CT, quite a lot of beekeepers lost upward of 50% of their hives. 

We had four hives until Mr Jyn took the job in VA which kept him away for 2 years (he's coming home in October!), but lost all of them within months of his leaving - two were attacked and taken over by yellowjackets, one swarmed and left, and the last seemed to be doing OK, but there were no bees left alive in it the following spring. 

The hives need to be checked at least weekly, by someone familiar with the work patterns of some 20,000 bees, and able to spot the queen wandering about among them pretty much at a glance to make sure everything is running smoothly. If something happens to the queen (which it can, much more often than one might think), it needs to be identified as soon as possible, as raising a new queen can take longer than the hive has, depending on the time of year, to keep the hive in production enough that they will have enough honey to last the winter, never mind getting a harvest out of it. Often one needs to buy a new queen to introduce, though if you get a Virgin queen, which is a lot cheaper, there's always the risk of her not making it back from her maiden flight...They need food supplements- pollen patties in some weather, extra sugar-water at other times (a hive can go through a gallon of syrup made with 4 lb of sugar every few days when it's really hot and dry). Then there are all the threats from mites which can wipe out a hive seemingly overnight, as well as various poisons they might pick up if someone has been using particular pesticides...

It really takes some serious study, meticulous record-keeping, and, really, a talent for hive-management. I never did manage to learn all I needed to know when he got that job offer and had to leave within a few weeks. We will start the hives back up in the spring, though - I know he has really missed them!

I just don't see all this as being in the Duggar wheel-house!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 18

I know a lot of people are pissed at FFF for dropping Jill - but how do we know that they dropped her?  It is possible that after posing with that hussy magazine, Boob, Deredick or Cathy told her the error of her ways and she gave up the thought of making money and getting free cosmetic thingys.

Remember, Deredick has been gone for a little while this week and I can see Jill posting those pictures, all the while not realizing that in her world that magazine is equal to Playboy. 

Does anyone know the code she put up?  I would be interested to see if it still works. 

While not naming names, FFF admitted to dropping one of their associates last week. The screenshot is in this thread. 

Here is Whitney's sales pitch. Note her composition vs. Jill's. I didn't even know there was a Vince Camuto bag until I saw Whit's post.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, truthtalk2014 said:

I know a lot of people are pissed at FFF for dropping Jill - but how do we know that they dropped her?  It is possible that after posing with that hussy magazine, Boob, Deredick or Cathy told her the error of her ways and she gave up the thought of making money and getting free cosmetic thingys.

Remember, Deredick has been gone for a little while this week and I can see Jill posting those pictures, all the while not realizing that in her world that magazine is equal to Playboy. 

Does anyone know the code she put up?  I would be interested to see if it still works. 

Someone posted an FB response from FFF on tumbler that stated they had dropped her.

• Love 1

I'm not at all invested in the idea that the Duggars should have "real" jobs. As long as they're not making money by scamming or god-bothering, meh. But let's be real, here...they live in the god forsaken Bible Belt. There is no danger of them losing any local jobs because of complaints about their beliefs. They don't work outside of the family businesses because they don't want to and don't have to. They're not victims in this.

And is there a link to that story about the guy who got fired because of something his father said? Because I'd really like the context. 

• Love 18
1 minute ago, lascuba said:

I'm not at all invested in the idea that the Duggars should have "real" jobs. As long as they're not making money by scamming or god-bothering, meh. But let's be real, here...they live in the god forsaken Bible Belt. There is no danger of them losing any local jobs because of complaints about their beliefs. They don't work outside of the family businesses because they don't want to and don't have to. They're not victims in this.

And is there a link to that story about the guy who got fired because of something his father said? Because I'd really like the context. 

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/24467997/nascar-xfinity-driver-conor-daly-loses-sponsorship

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

While not naming names, FFF admitted to dropping one of their associates last week. The screenshot is in this thread. 

Here is Whitney's sales pitch. Note her composition vs. Jill's. I didn't even know there was a Vince Camuto bag until I saw Whit's post.

The box can be customized. You can choose either the Vince Camuto bag or the makeup brushes, I believe.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, lascuba said:

So the guy didn't get fired, he just lost a sponsor? Yeah, unfair because it was his father who said it, but I don't care all that much, especially since the father is straight up lying about the word having a different meaning in Ireland. He makes Derick look like a paragon of truth.  

These days,  losing a sponsor may very well cause you to lose your ride. Not because the owner hates you, but because he can’t afford to race the car without sponsorship.  You would not believe how much money it takes to race one car. 

Drivers often find rides because they can bring sponsorship money into the deal. This guy can no longer depend on sponsor money and neither can any car owner who hires him. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, mythoughtis said:

These days,  losing a sponsor may very well cause you to lose your ride. Not because the owner hates you, but because he can’t afford to race the car without sponsorship.  You would not believe how much money it takes to race one car. 

Drivers often find rides because they can bring sponsorship money into the deal. This guy can no longer depend on sponsor money

That sucks for him, then. Though honestly, I'm pleasantly shocked that anyone in the NASCAR world would care that much about a racial slur being used. Taking the details of that article at face value, the sponsor overreacted, which makes me wonder if there's something deeper going on that nobody's talking about. 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

I was one of the early members of the US Army post the draft.   I am also a women.  I  enlisted in 1978, as a college grad and having taught for five years prior to enlistment.  I felt a need to serve my country.

A volunteer service is one without a draft.  I am not sure what you mean by your comment about word logic.  We served by choice, exactly like all current members of the US military.

I apologize for not making sense; I really shouldn’t post before I have any coffee. I only meant to suggest that Derick is capable of posting that he and Jill were volunteers (without clarifying which sort) so that if someone could prove he wasn’t volunteering (in the sense of not being paid), he could claim he’d meant that he was volunteering (in the sense of “serving” on the show by choice).  And that he therefore wasn’t lying. Even if he was being paid.

It’s possible he clarified which sort of “volunteer” he meant, but I can’t seem to find his original tweets, only articles that are as much speculation as fact.

I truly did not intent to insult anyone in the military (whether drafted or not) by comparing them to Derick!

Edited by jennblevins
Can’t write clearly even after coffee.
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Drivers often find rides because they can bring sponsorship money into the deal. This guy can no longer depend on sponsor money and neither can any car owner who hires him. 

If this trend of holding folks responsible for what their relatives say there's no chance for Izzy and Sam getting a real world job.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wore my "nasty woman" shirt the last time I went to the dentist but I am in the Bay Area so it is not that unusual.

Topic: I think the main obstacle to these barnacles working is the fact that it is antithetical to everything they have ever been taught or done. Jill never had to work in "school," I'm sure, she has never held an actual job with actual qualification, Dreck seems to be allergic to work. I think they will have to find the will first and then, perhaps, they can find a way.

• Love 10