Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I honestly have mixed feelings about Jill being kicked off FFF. The partnership was with her, not Derick.  That’s different than the TLC gig, because that contract was based on the two of them together.

I do too. In some ways I think it's unfair because Derelict was the one who made the comments, not Jill. It feels like the people complaining aren't doing it to show solidarity with Jazz as much as they are to stick it to a Duggar. It reminds me of a Certain Person who runs a snark page on Facebook. I feel like her hatred for anything that doesn't jibe with her personal beliefs often crosses a line. I guess in the end FFF has the final call, but it's not sitting right with me. I know mileage will vary.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 19

Oh, Lord, this will just add fuel to the "white American Christians being persecuted for their faith" bullshit. I predict Poor Jill will be the subject of concerned pre-Sunday school chatter this weekend in evangelical churches across the country. 

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, Marigold said:

It's weird. FFF must've known she was a Duggar otherwise why would they have her sell? 

They probably deeply misunderstood her fan base. Whitney and Alyssa Bates may be fundie but they are bland and mainstream enough that many of their followers are probably ordinary young conservative Christian women, who might actually want and be able to afford a FFF subscription. Jill is much more controversial and only recently graduated from long jean skirts and baggy polos. Most of her followers are probably either leghumpers from huge families or people who follow her solely to hate on the things she posts. The former can’t afford FFF and the latter wouldn’t help Jill out by getting a box through her link. If she’s not bringing in $$$, FFF isn’t going to risk political backlash by keeping her as a partner.

• Love 16

Being an “influencer” for a company is different than just hard work for a “normal” job.

But, both make money for someone. 

Thisfamily needs money, as do we all, but I can see the aggravation. It would be wise for them to all step back from the limelight, take a humble type of job, and be quiet on social media. However, to do that at this point, would probably be a huge step and not one Jill could take without a change she’s ill-equipped for making. And, it might be awhile before they’re left alone by fans or interested parties. I think getting out of the mindset that they are ambassadors for Christ would be step one, and I’m unsure they’ll ever be of that opinion.

• Love 13

I'm sure whoever at FFF signed Jill up had heard of the Duggars enough to know that they were a weird religious family with a bunch of kids, and that Jill has a lot of followers. Most people who don't do any Duggar related social media or forums don't know much more than that. I'm sure whatever backlash they got came as a huge surprise. 

Ignoring absolutely everything else, on a purely superficial level she was such a bad choice for FFF and her lack of self awareness is more obvious than ever. People like Alyssa and Whitney can post about their subscription boxes and even though we know it's a paid ad, it's easy to believe that they'd sign up for something like that on their own. But Jill? She may be an expert on public enthusiasm but not even she could pull off excitement for anything in that box. What's next? A Hello Fresh subscription?

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Count me as one who feels a bit bad for Jill if she was 'fired' from FFF due to complaints about Derick's Tweets. Everyone has beliefs that differ from others and if FFF sees Whitney Bates as a suitable influencer then why not Jill? They stand for the same things.

It seems the USA is split into two opposing teams right now and if everyone got each other fired for believing differently no one would have a job.

Derick's rants of hate rightfully got him fired. Jill being fired for her husband's rants is not going to change the way Jill thinks and believes. And Jill shilling FFF is not going to influence FFF buyers into adopting her beliefs. So what's the point of getting her fired? 

Jill and Derick are powerless little fish in a big pond. And they're also parents who need to put food on the table. 

I agree about the Bates having the same horrid beliefs. But the complaints were about Jill, not them, for whatever reason. FFF got lots of complaints about Jill, so they made a business decision. 

I doubt Jill would've made much money from FFF anyway. They do need to put food on the table and better get jobs like the rest of us.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 19
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I agree about the Bates having the same horrid beliefs. But the complaints were about Jill, not them., for whatever reason.

Probably because the Bates family aren't as well known and don't have a Derick in their family.

I don't know, I guess SM and it's power is a bit scary for me. It seems too easy to reach out to companies and complain about each other. Everyone is living their lives the same as always but cell phone videos, 24 hour news and SM singles out folks as the poster children for wrong doing. For every one person who opposes one thing there's another who agrees with it. 

Before SM it seems folks spent more time publicly promoting causes they believed in rather than going after folks who believe differently.

• Love 18

Derick and Jill are indeed a perfect example of the scary power of the internet. For the rest of their lives, the internet will be there as a mirror holding them accountable.  

For ranting on social media.for stating his bad  opinion of someone. Just what all of us do here.  We just don’t expect people to go ask that person about what we said and how it hurt their feelings. We assume that person has no clue that we are talking about them. 

For someone like Jill who grew up so insulated, this internet big brother mirror thing must be very intimidating. I know that part of it is for me. I’m so glad my teenage and young adult mistakes are only known by family and close friends. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I doubt Jill would've made much money from FFF anyway. They do need to put food on the table and better get jobs like the rest of us.

She’d have to get 125 people to sign up per month to make $1,000. Mabye at first she’d get that many but those numbers really aren’t sustainable. That amount would be taxable too. It’s ok for extra money if you really don’t need it, but I think they were hoping that with their blog, they would be able to support their family without Jill having to get a job. It doesn’t seem like they really thought through how they were going to support themselves in this season of life beyond “Jesus will provide” None of the Duggars seem to think jobs are a way Jesus provides apparently.  

• Love 23
On 8/17/2018 at 10:51 AM, HooHooHoo said:

@Aunt Catfish you are so silly. No need to go to spatula city to buy a new one. Just ask your sibling who is getting married next to register for a dozen so they can give the extras to you. Where is your gritting game???

can somebody please teach me to Grifting game. Christmas is coming and I need to grift for gifts for my boys.

• Love 21
On 8/23/2018 at 5:54 PM, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Right? Dude isn’t going to flunk out. He is going to be studying alllllllllllllllll the time and saying whatever it takes to keep him away from home.

Derick is the prime example of waiting til you get married to have sex, FAIL. I don't want to demean anyone else, just him because he got married and isn't happy. If he would have "shopped" around perhaps he would be a happily single guy without a care in the world. 

• Love 15
9 hours ago, Zella said:

If you google "Jill Dillard," the first results are wondering about how her unemployed husband is paying for law school and telling him to get a job. Clicking on the first page of news results also yields articles about her choosing "homophobic" books to teach her toddlers about sex. It wouldn't take a PR genius to realize an association with her would create backlash. 

But we don't know how long ago she expressed interest in becoming a part of the organization.  It could have been quite a while back, before the law school kerfuffle.  Or the background checkers are the same negligent ones that put sexual assault perpetrators on the most recent "Bachelorette" show.   

My British grandmother would call that a box of "Fripperies".  Useful products, technically yes, but not practical and certainly an unnecessary expense for most young couples with children.  And of course people deserve to treat themselves, but her entire life has been about getting something, EVERYTHING actually, for nothing.  No way I'd ever believe her buying Lara Bars.  Or even being able to read the big words in that accompanying product magazine.  Idiot. 

35 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

can somebody please teach me to Grifting game. Christmas is coming and I need to grift for gifts for my boys.

Just join a Gothard "church".  They'll get you up to speed by Thanksgiving!

• Love 16

I can’t bellieve that the company had never heard the name Duggar...maybe, not Dillard so much but Duggar. Were they just  blinded by the sheer amount of Jill’s followers or were they clueless?

It must have been a shock for them to find out that Derick is a bigoted, narrow-minded religious zealot whose rants on sm are there for the world to see, and well, Jill’s married to him so she must hold the same beliefs.

Did they read about how the Duggars raised their children using the Pearl method of hitting a baby during blanket training? Did they read Jill’s recipes, full of salt and processed foods? Not good for a brand that promotes  healthy living.

There’s too much negativity surrounding the Duggars, there’s not much they could endorse except pregnancy tests. They have lots of experience with those.

As for the Bates girls, they do have the same skewed beliefs as the Duggars, but keep them under wraps.. They look wholesome, healthy and happy and unless you were aware of Gil’s affiliation with Gothard, you’d think they were just the type the FFF brand wanted. 

And one more thing, so because the headship decided to go to law school instead of getting a job, the Dillards are struggling? Just like JB and his failed political campaign. The man is always right and the family comes in dead last. I don’t think they’re starving, plenty of  other marrieds around to give them a meal,  but it  seems like cash is low. Neither one has any marketable skills, so it looks like they will be relying on the daddy Duggar dole for a long time to come.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, leighdear said:

But we don't know how long ago she expressed interest in becoming a part of the organization.  It could have been quite a while back, before the law school kerfuffle.  Or the background checkers are the same negligent ones that put sexual assault perpetrators on the most recent "Bachelorette" show.  

True but Jill has had tons of negative press coverage for a long time. I google her name periodically to find stuff folks on here talk about. Whether it's her husband going after transgender people on twitter or them being knocked for their shady "ministry" work or her being ridiculed for her terrible blog, the coverage has been consistently bad. The examples I gave are the most recent examples,  but it's very indicative of the types of stories she has generated for a long time.  Even if they didn't Google her for news stories,  her own blog shows she has no idea how to present herself professionally.  I firmly believe nobody bothered to do the slightest bit of follow-up.

• Love 14

How do you sign up to sell these boxes? My guess is that anyone can sign up and the company doesn’t do any kind of background check? I’m guessing that any interaction with the company is done online? As long as your credit card checks out, you’re good to go?

Jill was booted because the company received complaints. They did a little googling and they realized she would not be good for their image. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

How do you sign up to sell these boxes? My guess is that anyone can sign up and the company doesn’t do any kind of background check? I’m guessing that any interaction with the company is done online? As long as your credit card checks out, you’re good to go?

Jill was booted because the company received complaints. They did a little googling and they realized she would not be good for their image. 

I expect the company gets tons of requests to partner with them to sell product.  Their entire business model revolves around using the popularity of various bloggers and internet personalities to grow their business.  As long as Jill had an account on a reputable site and could show them that she had a lot of followers, which she does, they were probably willing to give it a go.  Spending a lot of time vetting their partners is probably a waste of time and money for them; I expect they field dozens of requests every day for partnership and they know that, if anyone objects, they will hear about it pronto and can always pull the sponsorship ASAP.  It took what? 2 days?  And Jill was deleted from the roster. Now, FunFitFab can brag to their fans that they are listening and responsive.

For all the stuff online about Jill, there is also the story that she was a victim of molestation who came forward as an adult.  On the surface, it sounds commendable and like someone who might be a good brand rep.  If they did any investigation before letting Jill join them, it was probably just enough to discover this and not enough to figure out the real story.

• Love 8

I believe that Jill most certainly holds the same beliefs as Derick.  However, should a wife be punished for what her husband says on social media?   Spouses are not required to believe in or agree with their partner says.  (Although again, I'm very aware that Jill probably supports Derick 100%.  It's just food for thought.  As a woman, I want my thoughts and ideas to be considered as my own.  I'm not an appendage of my husband.

Edited to add: My comments reference if she was "fired" for Derick's tweets.  If it had to do with her choice of books and how they portray homosexual or trans people, then that indeed it is her choice.

Edited by lucy711
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, Future Cat Lady said:

The thing is that Jill never said she disagreed with her husband hateful tweets. That makes her look bad.

She never would openly disagree with Derick on SM. But the thing is she needs to do a better job of being the "neck" for Derick's headship.

Michelle was actually pretty good at being the neck. I suspect she is good at directing JB to a choice that she wants whilst letting him think it is his choice. Also, there were times on 19K&C where Michelle would comment on something JB said or did and even though she kept sweet about it, there was this underlying vibe that she did not fully agree with his choice or thought it was silly or whatever.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

She never would openly disagree with Derick on SM. But the thing is she needs to do a better job of being the "neck" for Derick's headship.

Michelle was actually pretty good at being the neck. I suspect she is good at directing JB to a choice that she wants whilst letting him think it is his choice. Also, there were times on 19K&C where Michelle would comment on something JB said or did and even though she kept sweet about it, there was this underlying vibe that she did not fully agree with his choice or thought it was silly or whatever.

I don't think that's her personality. Jessa on the other hand...

• Love 8

Just catching up on FFF news! 

She gets no money, just the box of merchandise. There is no salary attached and no money brought in from all the sales she brought in. People like the company, because they get the box for free in return for promoting the box. It is not a source of income.  (This is according to their "partners" on youtube.)

14 hours ago, Marigold said:

It's weird. FFF must've known she was a Duggar otherwise why would they have her sell? 

Because anyone can be a FFF partner. Most of their "partners" are random young women on youtube. There may be a certain number of social media subscribers one needs to have, but a lot of those youtube "celebrities" are random vloggers with a lot of  Instagram followers. My guess is someone just did a pre-emptory check and saw she had a big social media platform and gave her a partnership without checking out who she is. 

Edited by Temperance
grammar
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I don't think that's her personality. Jessa on the other hand...

I agree.  Jessa is the type to snatch something she thinks is ugly right out of your hand and throw it in the trash.  Jill is the type to throw it out when you aren't looking, then deny ever having seen it at all.  YOU must have lost it. 

Very much how I think Jim Bob & Michelle operate.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Probably because the Bates family aren't as well known and don't have a Derick in their family.

Just an in-law married to an anal rapist . 

The Bates are "ok" because they managed to put a filter of niceness on their social media voice .

Edited by lianau
  • Love 11
On 8/22/2018 at 8:57 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Can Jill access the law library without a student ID?

If it's like  the  library at the  university near  me, anyone can get  in, they just can't checkout books.

• Love 2
Just now, Marigold said:

This is an extremely interesting exchange of thoughts about Jill getting cut from FFF. 

So nice to see that it is pleasant and not heated. I love conversations like this. 

Derick should take note, don't you think?

• Love 16

Perhaps Derick or Jim Bob didn’t like her promoting FFF. We’ll probably never know why she took the post down.

I went to her Twitter, and she still hasn’t posted anything since the 18th. After taking the FFF Instagram post down, her last post there is the birthday post to Derick’s dad. That is just odd for her. 

Derick has posted a couple of proverbs on his Twitter. So, he is still around.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

The thing is that Jill never said she disagreed with her husband hateful tweets. That makes her look bad.

I understand what you are saying, but Jill doesn't normally post much that is political (as far as I've seen).  I don't think it's up to her to support and/or refute everything her husband says.  I think it's clear that she wants to keep her political beliefs quiet, and she has the right to.  She's not a political figure, so it's not fair to expect her to take a stance one way or the other.  I certainly don't want to be held responsible for everything my husband or another family member posts on social media.   I am actually a very political person but rarely make comments about my beliefs these days because it is quite risky.  My husband's employer flat out told him to not post anything dealing with politics so it doesn't ever affect his career in the future. 

• Love 13

Some of the words are not original to either of them.....

In May, Jill posted similarly to what Ben had posted in March. At the time of Jill’s, it was said it was in response to Derick’s tweets.

2F8C2A02-5577-443A-9374-F4D63B578D1A.jpeg

EE7523F1-4712-42BB-BCFC-0A411478B61C.jpeg

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

I understand what you are saying, but Jill doesn't normally post much that is political (as far as I've seen).  I don't think it's up to her to support and/or refute everything her husband says.  I think it's clear that she wants to keep her political beliefs quiet, and she has the right to.  She's not a political figure, so it's not fair to expect her to take a stance one way or the other.  I certainly don't want to be held responsible for everything my husband or another family member posts on social media.   I am actually a very political person but rarely make comments about my beliefs these days because it is quite risky.  My husband's employer flat out told him to not post anything dealing with politics so it doesn't ever affect his career in the future. 

You're right. She doesn't have to take any stance if she doesn't want to.  But everything is about image these days and she's perceived as homophobic and transphobic. People on this board always say that they are 100% sure that Jill and her family totally agree with what Derick is posting. They just keep their mouth shut to keep the show going. I can't blame a company for not wanting to be associated with her because it would make them look bad.

Also, she was recently promoting a sex education book that was clearly anti-LGBTQ.  If they saw that, it was kind of proving her view on the matter. 

• Love 13

I'm sure the Bates and Duggars believe the same things as Derrick. They just don't shoot their mouth off like he did. The Bates are more under the radar because they're not as well known as the Duggars, and some of them actually have personalities and a sense of humor. And the Bates never had a Josh-like scandal.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Also I think it’s important to note that it wasn’t his beliefs that got Derick fired — it was his decision to post about those beliefs on social media where anyone could see. People can be as hateful as they want in their own heads. But when they’re loudly voicing that hatefulness, it’s perfectly appropriate for a company to decide they don’t want vocal hatefulness as the face of their brand. 

Good point.

AND, he ranted against TLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not to mention took aim at a child, Jazz Jennings and her TLC show. 

I agree that Derick is posting what everyone else is LIKELY thinking, however, we don't know for sure. They keep their thoughts to themselves and do not have verbal diarrhea on social media. 

The only positive thing I can say about Derick is that he is not going to cover up who he is or what he believes for the sake of a dollar.  

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Or ask him why he really left Walmart...

Who exactly employed him and what exactly his job description was when they were in Danger America ...

Why  he gave up on being a missionary after spending years claiming it was his lifelong goal....

Why he claimed that Christ was calling him to the ministry and, then, less than a year later, and before actually being employed as a minister, quitting it entirely to go to law school.,.

What exactly he envisions he will be doing once he gets that law degree...

Very good points!

I can guess that he enjoys being the martyr. He likes to say outrageous things and feeds on the negative attention. It's no fun admitting he is a grifting loser with no ability to finish what he starts.  Its much more fun to pontificate on social media!!!!

Plus, he likes to feel very Godly and like a super Christian.  Derick feeds his ego by appearing to "out Christian" others.  He even out christianed Jim Bob and the entire Duggar crew by stating that "TLC doesn't represent our standards"  (loose quote).  Talk about a slam to Jim Bob...not to mention Ben & Jeremy who are both studying to be pastors (allegedly) and are OK with filming for TLC.  (we all know it's for the money but let's just pretend)

I feel like Derick uses his christianity to compensate for his short comings. ;)  We all saw Derick on the obstacle course. We know how it is, Derick.

• Love 18
23 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I honestly have mixed feelings about Jill being kicked off FFF. The partnership was with her, not Derick.  That’s different than the TLC gig, because that contract was based on the two of them together.

She hasn’t done any hate filled tweets. We don’t tend to fire people in this country for what their relatives do.   Even if said relative  commits a crime and goes to jail. In fact, I would think doing so would leave a company open to legal or union issues.  even if they could take Dericks reputation into account, they should have researched her  before they partnered with her. 

Suppose Abbie’s employer fires her because she’s marrying into the Duggar family- is that appropriate?   What about Ben’s sister Jessica- can she be employed as a police officer with Ben being a Duggar inlaw? 

On  the other hand, it’s a free box of goodies, not an actual job. 

The problem is while Jill herself didn't post hate filled tweets she has repeatedly posted #besthubbyever (or something like that) implying that she thinks Derelict and his beliefs are great. Yes, Jill was raised to blindly follow her headship husband off a proverbial cliff but the majority of American women weren't raised this way. To them, Jill's hastage is an endorsement of Drek and all his ugliness.

I can't say I blame FFF for not wanting to be associated with Jill.

Edited by lulu69
  • Love 11
17 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I feel like Derick uses his christianity to compensate for his short comings. ;)  We all saw Derick on the obstacle course. We know how it is, Derick.

Deceit, arrogance and hypocrisy. Very Christian, much Jesus. 

• Love 5