Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I give Jill credit for pursuing the midwifery program and the volunteer EMT or whatever it was.  She graduated from Duggar Academy and actually tried to do something, which is way more than I can say for most of the other adult Duggars. JD did his own thing by becoming a pilot, but the other boys have fallen in line with whatever projects Pops gave them. Jill at least forged her own path.

Jill and a couple of the other girls did the volunteer EMT activity in order to keep a close eye on JD so he would not be tempted by heathen females. JD only became a pilot because it benefits JB. Jill has not really forged her own path. She is not a real midwife, and she only does what is expected of her and to please daddy and Deredick.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, kokapetl said:

Do three year olds really need to attend school?

I can see preschool, Head Start, or play groups with kids around his own age because this way he can learn skills in order to function well in the real world. The only Duggar child we have seen in my opinion function half way decent in the real world is Jinger, but she only does function better because Jeremy has taught her. She should have learn these skills by being with other children, exploring her world outside of Duggar Land, and her parents helping her learn and develop without the need of marriage and her husband to do so.

Edited by bigskygirl

Just what the students there need, Jill and kids being a distraction. I graduated a long time ago, but anyone could enter the library at my university. I had a classmate who would bring her screaming infant to class and the library. Once the professor asked her to step outside until the baby stopped crying. The classmate had left her recorder running unbeknownst to the professor, who proceeded to vent her frustration at “the clueless, inconsiderate, self centered woman.” Many classmates joined in the venting session. When she got home that evening she got a reality check while listening to the part of the lecture she missed. 

• Love 16
57 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Can Jill access the law library without a student ID?

Unless things have drastically changed in a few years, yes, she can (to an extent). There's a popular local coffee shop inside the law library, which is why I wandered in there once. (Classmate wanted to do a study group in there because she was a big fan. I don't drink coffee, so I'd never been before.) I don't remember having to present ID. 

However, I think some parts of it may be restricted to law students. There is an entryway, according to their website, that requires law school ID. I can't remember exactly, but I vaguely recall not being able to go everywhere, which irritated me. I was curious about the library (because I've worked in a library and am always up for a library expedition.) I think I may have been restricted to the commons area? But I will readily admit that was a stressful semester, so I have impressions more than memories. LOL

Also should note everything I was told I was told by my friend and not a staff member, so she may not have known what she was talking about. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

I believe Derick said on a Twitter reply that they wanted to homeschool but not use the ATI teaching tools.  Miss Cathy has also been a huge proponent of homeschool on Twitter and was commenting/talking to people individually about programs she recommended.  I suspect that when the time comes Miss Cathy will be taking the front seat on teaching and not Jill.  I kind of get the feeling that she wants to help “raise” Izzy and Sam in a way that she “failed” her boys because she worked during their childhood.

• Love 5

Re: libraries.  Back in the dark ages when I went to school, the regular library could be accessed by anyone, but only those with student id's could check out books.  Speciality libraries: architecture, vet, and law needed a student id to get into.  Loud folks were quickly told they could leave.  So I don't see kids and strollers fitting in.

Re:  Preschool and 3 year olds.  Stone age again, but my parents sent me to preschool at 3 and 4, it was only 2 days a week, but it was more for socialization among my peers and for making friends.  I had 2 much, much older siblings and we lived on a small farm so I wasn't meeting kids my own age.  We had tons of playtime mixed with learning colors, shapes, numbers, letters, etc.  My parents only got called in twice for my behavior.  Ahem.  

I'm wondering if Jill has started raiding Me'chelle's Xanax yet after 3 days of Derick in actual classes?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Jill took her fab fit fun (is it one word or three?) post down. I wonder why?

I don’t really follow any other TLC families/shows (The Little Couple is my other) but have any of the others started straight up shilling while their show was on the air?  I wonder if Jill is still shackled by a TLC contract.  Some will have non-competes that can last for a long time.  Depending on how things are signed, she may not be able to get out of that albatross until the whole family is done.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, saylubee said:

I don’t really follow any other TLC families/shows (The Little Couple is my other) but have any of the others started straight up shilling while their show was on the air?  I wonder if Jill is still shackled by a TLC contract.  Some will have non-competes that can last for a long time.  Depending on how things are signed, she may not be able to get out of that albatross until the whole family is done.  

Sister wives.  I believe Janelle also does the FFF, plus something called strive and I think at least 2 of them at some point did a "green shake" and at least 3 of them are doing Lularoe currently, I think.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, saylubee said:

Amy Roloff, from Little People Big World, has done quite a few sponsored posts. She has advertised FFF and several other products and subscription boxes.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Sister wives.  I believe Janelle also does the FFF, plus something called strive and I think at least 2 of them at some point did a "green shake" and at least 3 of them are doing Lularoe currently, I think.  

2 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Amy Roloff, from Little People Big World, has done quite a few sponsored posts. She has advertised FFF and several other products and subscription boxes.

Interesting... guess Jill screwed something up or JB said no.

Regarding FabFitfun

Maybe, Jill thought she would get money from them. I did more research. If you agree to promote/advertise Fit/Fab/Fun, you get the box for free, but no money according to the people on youtube who promote FFF. So Jill was disappointed at no money and took it down.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Re: libraries.  Back in the dark ages when I went to school, the regular library could be accessed by anyone, but only those with student id's could check out books.  Speciality libraries: architecture, vet, and law needed a student id to get into.  Loud folks were quickly told they could leave.  So I don't see kids and strollers fitting in.

At the local sate university here anyone can browse the stacks of any library as the university is still nominally taxpayer supported. Any citizen who resides in our state can also get a library card from the local state university for $5.00 so you can check out books and use interlibrary loan services. 

Edited by TresGatos
Clarify citizens in our state (plus alumnus)
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Re:  Preschool and 3 year olds.  Stone age again, but my parents sent me to preschool at 3 and 4, it was only 2 days a week, but it was more for socialization among my peers and for making friends.  I had 2 much, much older siblings and we lived on a small farm so I wasn't meeting kids my own age.  We had tons of playtime mixed with learning colors, shapes, numbers, letters, etc.  My parents only got called in twice for my behavior.  Ahem.  

I'm wondering if Jill has started raiding Me'chelle's Xanax yet after 3 days of Derick in actual classes?

I didn't go to preschool.  There are a couple of different "twos" programs in my area at the local daycares that I plan on sending my son to next year.  Its only two days a week and only for a few hours.  My mom watches him at home and English is not her first language, so I want him to get some familiarization with letters/colors...etc and also for the socialization factor as well.  There are no other kids around us his age.

• Love 8

Derick looks happy and relaxed.  He may have found an approved way of escaping home.

I think this is the most accurate post ever made in this thread since its inception..

I had a classmate who would bring her screaming infant to class and the library. Once the professor asked her to step outside until the baby stopped crying.

I went back to college at 40 and once i brought my 5 year old, had no other choice, to an evening lecture for a course on the Biology of AIDS. The room was theater-style--we sat in the back and she colored.  No problems, but that often isn't the case.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Absolom said:

Derick looks happy and relaxed.  He may have found an approved way of escaping home.

If I did not know what a sanctimonious asshole he is, I would feel sorry for him. He looks so much happier here than nearly anytime we have seen him. I wonder who he could have been if he had not been so insecure and fallen into the fundy rabbithole echo chamber where he lives.

13 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

When I was a freshman in high school, the entire freshman class had to take earth science and to write a year-long report on the geology of a particular US state. Over spring break, a bunch of friends and I essentially camped in the geology library on campus. We did some work and we weren't disruptive but I do remember it as fun. In retrospect, I fell sorry for any college students who were trying to use the library. That was the late 70s, though, and I don't know if non-students can still wander in as readily.

• Love 6

Some people just are professional students. I know people who did grad school because they couldn't find a ( well paying) job after their undergrad. Or they did have a job and didn't like it / didn't want to do a 9-5 ect and figured school was a better alternative. The adjustment from college ( for those who had your live on campus for four years/parties/ sometimes class ect) experience can be rough for a lot of people and I think grad school can be an attempt to stave off adulthood for a few more years. I personally will not do grad school unless someone else ( an employer) is paying for it. In my field it is completely unnecessary and experience is 100 times more valuable. With almost 10 years under my belt, I am far more employable than a 25 year old with a graduate degree and no experience. 

I think for Derrick

1. It is an acceptable way to avoid working

2. He probably does enjoy school

3. He would like to use his law degree if he gets one to pass legislation in line with his beliefs or work for one of those religious groups ect.

4. An acceptable way to avoid family haha

ETA: izzy would benefit from pre school or even an MDO program. I am only working part time and I will absolutely send my daughter to pre school when she is old enough, there are even programs for 2 year olds I have been looking at. I think it is very important for kids to get out and be social with other kids, and learn in a different environment.

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

Some people just are professional students. I know people who did grad school because they couldn't find a ( well paying) job after their undergrad. Or they did have a job and didn't like it / didn't want to do a 9-5 ect and figured school was a better alternative. The adjustment from college ( for those who had your live on campus for four years/parties/ sometimes class ect) experience can be rough for a lot of people and I think grad school can be an attempt to stave off adulthood for a few more years. I personally will not do grad school unless someone else ( an employer) is paying for it. In my field it is completely unnecessary and experience is 100 times more valuable. With almost 10 years under my belt, I am far more employable than a 25 year old with a graduate degree and no experience. 

I think for Derrick

1. It is an acceptable way to avoid working

2. He probably does enjoy school

3. He would like to use his law degree if he gets one to pass legislation in line with his beliefs or work for one of those religious groups ect.

4. An acceptable way to avoid family haha

ETA: izzy would benefit from pre school or even an MDO program. I am only working part time and I will absolutely send my daughter to pre school when she is old enough, there are even programs for 2 year olds I have been looking at. I think it is very important for kids to get out and be social with other kids, and learn in a different environment.

I graduated during the recession, and EVERYBODY did grad school as a way to avoid looking for a job! When I started college, only people going to medical, law, professional schools, etc, went. However, everybody found a program...any program...to do. A lot of people chose things like sociology or flute performance, and continued waitressing or working at Walmart after graduation. I thought it was ridiculous to waste money and time that way. I ran into a professor right before graduation, and he asked, "what grad school are you going to?" When I said I wasn't, he got really upset and said, "but you're so smart!" Right...smart enough not to go into debt for a master's in sociology! Most of those people worked a minimum wage job for a few years, and then went back to train in yet another field!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I graduated during the recession, and EVERYBODY did grad school as a way to avoid looking for a job! When I started college, only people going to medical, law, professional schools, etc, went. However, everybody found a program...any program...to do. A lot of people chose things like sociology or flute performance, and continued waitressing or working at Walmart after graduation. I thought it was ridiculous to waste money and time that way. I ran into a professor right before graduation, and he asked, "what grad school are you going to?" When I said I wasn't, he got really upset and said, "but you're so smart!" Right...smart enough not to go into debt for a master's in sociology! Most of those people worked a minimum wage job for a few years, and then went back to train in yet another field!

We must have graduated around the same time! 2010 for me. I remember it being very difficult for a lot of my peers to find a job they wanted. ITA with you about the grad school. Unless its mandatory for your profession...kind of a waste to do immediately after a 4 year program

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 4

Found some information on law schools acceptance rates.  U of AR-Fayetteville 164 out of 196 law schools in the US; they accept 67% of applicants, with most LSAT scores between 151 and 158; 75% of graduates pass the state bar and 80% are employed by 10 months after graduation.  Liberty University is rated higher (83); although many of Liberty's states are similar they only accept 50% of applicants, and 57% are employed 10 months after graduation. 

Here's the website:  https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/1/asc/Accept

• Love 3
18 hours ago, SMama said:

Just what the students there need, Jill and kids being a distraction. I graduated a long time ago, but anyone could enter the library at my university. I had a classmate who would bring her screaming infant to class and the library. Once the professor asked her to step outside until the baby stopped crying. The classmate had left her recorder running unbeknownst to the professor, who proceeded to vent her frustration at “the clueless, inconsiderate, self centered woman.” Many classmates joined in the venting session. When she got home that evening she got a reality check while listening to the part of the lecture she missed. 

My friend had her daughter the summer before our senior year of college.  Senior year we (her friends) would take turns watching her daughter while she went to class.  She would drop off her daughter at our dorm rooms w/her bag - I had her Wednesday mornings.  That little girl is going to Boston College this fall (I feel so old).

• Love 22
38 minutes ago, Fosca said:

Found some information on law schools acceptance rates.  U of AR-Fayetteville 164 out of 196 law schools in the US; they accept 67% of applicants, with most LSAT scores between 151 and 158; 75% of graduates pass the state bar and 80% are employed by 10 months after graduation.  Liberty University is rated higher (83); although many of Liberty's states are similar they only accept 50% of applicants, and 57% are employed 10 months after graduation. 

Here's the website:  https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/1/asc/Accept

Just remember that those statistics don't tell you how many students started law school and dropped out before graduation.  Nationwide, 20 – 40% of first year law school students drop out or flunk out.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Mollie said:

Just remember that those statistics don't tell you how many students started law school and dropped out before graduation.  Nationwide, 20 – 40% of first year law school students drop out or flunk out.

Also, employment probably doesn’t necessarily mean in law, does it?

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Also, employment probably doesn’t necessarily mean in law, does it?

Right,  Working at Starbucks counts too but the ABA is now making the schools at least tell the difference in the types of jobs their graduates are obtaining.

There is a movement called the Law School Scam that was once led by Paul Campos, a professor of law at the University of Colorado who turned blogger to warn people about the horrible job prospects and toxic debt taken on by law school students and one of the things that Campos was able to do was get the ABA to force the schools to report if the job was JD Required, JD preferred, job paid by the law school or just a plain ole job. 

Since it seems like Derrick is allergic to working, I don't think the numbers mean anything to him but to his fellow eager L1 students, it does and well alot of them are wasting their time as there just isn't enough good law jobs to go around.

Edited by CindyBee
  • Love 12

There used to be a MD-JD in the office next door to mine ... maybe if he survives law school, he can go to medical school next and avoid working for even longer!

(If I’m honest, I’m probably snarking out of jealousy.)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

My friend had her daughter the summer before our senior year of college.  Senior year we (her friends) would take turns watching her daughter while she went to class.  She would drop off her daughter at our dorm rooms w/her bag - I had her Wednesday mornings.  That little girl is going to Boston College this fall (I feel so old).

The thing about my classmate is that it was her fourth child, and due to low income the university provided mo cost care for all four children. She was not breastfeeding so that was not an issue. All of you were very kind to your friend. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Of course he’s happy. He doesn’t have to parent, spend time with his wife, and he gets to be a smug prick strutting around law school. It’s everything he’s ever wanted. 

Right? Dude isn’t going to flunk out. He is going to be studying alllllllllllllllll the time and saying whatever it takes to keep him away from home.

• Love 16

Could Jill be so clueless to post the subscription box picture thinking the company would then reach out to her and ask her to promote it? Like is she clueless to how these things work? It seems odd that she removed the post.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Could Jill be so clueless to post the subscription box picture thinking the company would then reach out to her and ask her to promote it? Like is she clueless to how these things work? It seems odd that she removed the post.

What are the chances that the negative reactions (or some other reason) had the company asking her to remove the posts? I just can't see Jill taking it down of her own volition. 

• Love 4