Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

On 8/15/2018 at 10:11 PM, queenanne said:

In my household of origin they'd have been differentiated as "fried potatoes" (with a "d" instead of an "s"), which is how we always knew we were getting fried potato chunks in a skillet, aka home fries.

fried taters at our house lol

• Love 2
19 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Good point, but to be fair, neither does Derick.

Neither does Cathy. There is not one single picture or mention of her husband on her Instagram page. 

Whitney and Alyssa also a push FFF. Jill just doesn't seem like the type of woman who would use this box, she's not very stylish, so I guess she might get some help from the products . Maybe she should look into getting a blue apron sponsorship. 

Also, Jilly almost copied Whitney’s FFF post exactly. 

• Love 5

I find it deeply annoying when people like Whitney tell me that I'm "going to love something" as part of a stupid sales pitch. You don't know that, Whitney. You can't possibly know that, so shut up. 

• Love 23
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Doodlebug, what does the little icon by your avatar mean?

I like your doggie pic.

I used to have a Dalmatian, she was a sweetheart.  My avatar is not her, just a random internet dog.  The shield thingy next to my name means I am now a mod on this site.  Don't worry, I don't mod here-I don't mod anywhere-yet.

As for those fitfabfun boxes, they seem to be popular with the millennial crowd.  I have a sister who is a Gen Xer and she loves that stuff, she gets a box of clothes from someplace every couple months.  She's also into every MLM/home sales opportunity out there.  She has parties for jewelry and candles and lingerie and décor.  My dad was a salesman, he sold vacuum cleaners via home demos (Rainbow, NOT Kirby).  He is undoubtedly spinning in his grave at my sister, the gopher (his name for a gullible customer who will 'go fer' anything).

I guess we should be glad that Jill is trying to do something to up her income since it doesn't appear Derick is going to be gainfully employed anytime soon.  With a million followers, she could make a nice living if only she wasn't so clueless. While she probably copied Whitney (or a template from Fitfabfun), Whitney's photo is so much more appealing and interesting with the outdoor setting and the doggie.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Neither does Cathy. There is not one single picture or mention of her husband on her Instagram page. 

Whitney and Alyssa also a push FFF. Jill just doesn't seem like the type of woman who would use this box, she's not very stylish, so I guess she might get some help from the products . Maybe she should look into getting a blue apron sponsorship. 

Also, Jilly almost copied Whitney’s FFF post exactly. 

I know several people who shill products on their social media. Depending on the number of your followers they usually only receive free product.  The companies will also give them a script to post.  Whitney and Jill are posed and dressed almost alike. Companies will also direct the pose and how to display the product.  I have no interest in what she’s peddling. I’m just thrilled to see Jill in jeans.   

Awhile ago Scott Disick, of Kardashian fame, accidentally posted too much information for a product he was pushing. The company told him what to say and exactly what time to post. 

I won’t call Jill a copy cat for for this one. 

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

While she probably copied Whitney (or a template from Fitfabfun), Whitney's photo is so much more appealing and interesting with the outdoor setting and the doggie.

OMG! They do have the same pose. Good catch. She copied Whitney or it's what the company suggest. At least, Jill cleaned up the usual mess. But her place is not very appealing lookwise. 

12 minutes ago, beagletime said:

I know several people who shill products on their social media. Depending on the number of your followers they usually only receive free product.  The companies will also give them a script to post.  Whitney and Jill are posed and dressed almost alike. Companies will also direct the pose and how to display the product.  I have no interest in what she’s peddling. I’m just thrilled to see Jill in jeans.   

Awhile ago Scott Disick, of Kardashian fame, accidentally posted too much information for a product he was pushing. The company told him what to say and exactly what time to post. 

Jill receives $8 commission for each box sale referred through her tracking link.  If she sells at least three boxes during a season (boxes are sent four times a year), then she gets her box for free.  This company doesn't tell affiliates how to pose or display the product, so Jill just copied Whitney because she's too stupid to come up with her own idea. 

• Love 21
13 minutes ago, beagletime said:

It makes me wonder if someone else took the photos, because honestly, the quality of Jill's photos are pretty decent. 

It is ironic (dontcha think?) that Jill is shilling a product that is from a female-founded company when her religion does not promote women working, much less starting their own businesses. 

Please note that this is NOT the first time we have seen Jill in jeans. The first time was last winter I believe, when she was posing with people and wearing a coat. Jill's been wearing jeans (and shorts) for a while now. 

• Love 11

Interesting that FFF approached Jill. I would've thought they'd try Jinger or Jessa, unless they did and got turned down. I do think she looks good in jeans and maybe the products will encourage her to take better care of her skin.

I'd love to know what these girls earn in commissions.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

It makes me wonder if someone else took the photos, because honestly, the quality of Jill's photos are pretty decent. 

Is this what you mean to say, because I find the quality of Jill's photos to be pretty uniformly awful. Plus, whoever took the photo got her to not use the wide-eyed, open-mouthed look that she loves so well.

Jill could really use a bra fitting (and take Joy along!). As virtually everyone else has posted, she also desperately needs a foot lopped off of that nasty hair. Plus, if she went to a stylist, the stylist might be able to teach her how to USE A BRUSH. Then she could come back to the TTH and teach all of the lost girls how to BRUSH THEIR HAIR!

• Love 11
Just now, cmr2014 said:

Is this what you mean to say, because I find the quality of Jill's photos to be pretty uniformly awful. Plus, whoever took the photo got her to not use the wide-eyed, open-mouthed look that she loves so well.

Jill could really use a bra fitting (and take Joy along!). As virtually everyone else has posted, she also desperately needs a foot lopped off of that nasty hair. Plus, if she went to a stylist, the stylist might be able to teach her how to USE A BRUSH. Then she could come back to the TTH and teach all of the lost girls how to BRUSH THEIR HAIR!

Yes, I meant that the quality of the FFF photos appeared better than the photos that Jill normally posts.

• Love 4

I wonder if Boob's head is exploding seeing his favorite Jilly Muffin having to hustle crap on the internet to support her kids and perpetually unemployed husband?

Note, I'm not knocking Jill. She's doing what she has to do to help make ends meet and for that I give her credit. It's just that Boob must have a special kind of love for Derelict right about now.

• Love 13

Jill's first photo needs to be cropped to cut out the sofa, carpet, and end table. It's the box she's selling, not the home furnishings. Whitney's photo looks brighter and she looks healthier; being photographed outside probably helps. Still, Jill's photo is fine. She's not cooking, and that automatically scores her points. 

• Love 20
37 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

It is ironic (dontcha think?) that Jill is shilling a product that is from a female-founded company when her religion does not promote women working, much less starting their own businesses. 

Please note that this is NOT the first time we have seen Jill in jeans. The first time was last winter I believe, when she was posing with people and wearing a coat. Jill's been wearing jeans (and shorts) for a while now. 

I was actually under the impression that they could have their own business, as long as it was something they could more or less run from the house without having to answer to an alternate headship or take time away from helpmeet-ly duties. Like Jill R with her Plexus.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I was actually under the impression that they could have their own business, as long as it was something they could more or less run from the house without having to answer to an alternate headship or take time away from helpmeet-ly duties. Like Jill R with her Plexus.

And what’s her name, with the chocolate covered strawberries.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yes.

Proverbs 31

The woman described is some type of worker from her home or business owner or something.  Or something.  ;)  I can't get the loopholes straight. 

I was IFB with a masters degree in a real field and worked.  Any comments?  I directed them to Proverbs 31 and everyone nodded their head.  I always did what I wanted, IFB or not.  There is a verse to get away with most things.  ;)

• Love 19
On 8/18/2018 at 3:35 PM, louannems said:

I'm guessing Cathy had saved a chunk of the life insurance for Derrick's undergrad, but he ended getting a scholarship.  So perhaps she is now giving him the money for the 3 years of law school.

Wasn't Derick already in college when his dad died?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Yes, I meant that the quality of the FFF photos appeared better than the photos that Jill normally posts.

Yep, the carpet has been vacuumed, there aren't any toys or trash in view, Jill is dressed appropriately, and she's not making her normal bug-eyed grimace. All in all, I think this is a win for Jill.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

She looks better than usual in that picture.  I wonder also if they have given her some advice re: selling their stuff.  I have to say I'm tempted to order using her code, but, I'm pretty sure I won't!!

I'll find u a code from someone else!

• Love 4

Great effort on Jill's part, but ... if it was anyone else, not so much. Like @BradandJanet posted, her background is a little much. Everything in Jill's photo is heavy and dark, although the photo itself is bright. 

I wonder how many companies Jill has reached out to? I'm sure many have refused to have her represent them. A small investment on Jill's part, but like @Mollie said, she may just get the products for free, as many of her followers don't have the extra money to spend.

It seems to me that Jill is the hardest working Duggar in the family. Cooking food, posting recipes, and now sitting pretty on the floor for $8 a sale. She must be exhausted.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Girls going off to school? Surely she doesn’t mean college!

She doesn't even mean girls going off to kindergarten.  Boys either, for that matter.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Over on the Jessa topic, a few people have commented that they could see Jessa ditching Gothard life and going mainstream - especially once the TLC show is over.

When I look at Jill and Derick's current life, it looks mainstream  - although It hasn't been smooth, or pretty. The Dillards are living in modest housing which may be a rental, in Fayetteville. They're not a world away from the TTH, but they aren't right on the doorstep either. They are off the TV show and no longer part of the Duggar brand as it relates to TV. That's major IMO because the biggest Duggar publicity pushes, including those US Weekly and People magazine stories, are driven by TLC, and the Dillards no longer exist as far as TLC is concerned.

From the early days of their marriage, they have attended Cross Church. Derick just finished a year of the Cross Church's ministry skool. From their SM posts it appears that Jill participated in many activities related to that, including interacting with college students.  Cross Church is a prominent church in the Southern Baptist Convention. Of course, this is firmly in the world of conservative evangelicals. But. Southern Baptist women don't hide in the house wearing frumpwear. They get educated, hold jobs, join clubs, make friends, have social lives, and don't need an accountability partner to go to the grocery store. That's the world Derick grew up in. Remember, as strange as he can be, he never was indoctrinated with all the Gothard bullsh*t about "eye trap" clothing and music being evil and every song, book, or story must be about God, and the rest of it. Derick can be a goofball, and worse, but his default status is not life on a family compound where the patriarch calls all the shots, or in some IFB cult church. 

Jill wears jeans, shows her shoulders, and has that nose stud. She shills for some secular products that aren't all about the Bible. The Dillards fly (on the Duggar plane) to Oklahoma to visit Derick's family and friends there, and to hang out with his OSU buds and Pistol Pete. 

No, Jill hasn't cut ties with her family of origin, and I'm sure she hasn't ditched the Gothard/IBLP/BSC concepts that were hammered into her head as she grew up. She's not going to write a tell all book. 

But her life now is more out in the mainstream than Jessa's.  Jessa seems to still live in the Duggar bubble. Sure, she's all about the TV thing and I think she'll be all bent out of shape when the show is over.  I think the more interesting thing about Jessa in the near future is, what happens when Ben finishes his theology school studies? Is there going to be room for another newly minted preacher in NW Arkansas? Will the Seewalds have to move away from the area of the TTH for Ben's ministry career? 

I think Jill - who has shown herself to be emotionally fragile - might be better able to cope with that situation than Jessa. Jill at least has been in challenging situations that Jessa's simply never faced. We snarked over the Danger America stints, but at least the girl went. She may have been playing at being a missionary and things didn't go the way she probably had fantasized - but dang, the girl went there. She wasn't queening around the TTH like Jessa, who was obviously uncomfortable interacting with people outside her Gothard/Duggar bubble in those episodes featuring some of Ben's activities. Jill's been exposed to way more of life outside the bubble than Jessa, both at home and abroad, and there are many more mainstream aspects to her life now than to Jessa's. 

Since this post is more about Jill than Jessa, I put it here. I don't want to hijack this topic to get into a big discussion of Jessa. It's just that when I saw the comments about Jessa going seriously "mainstream," disavowing Gothard, and doing some kind of Breaking Amish type TV show - I got to thinking that Jessa's remained much more embedded in DuggarWorld on a daily basis than Jill. TBH I don't see either of them breaking away from the beliefs that they ave been so relentlessly indoctrinated in, but of all of the Duggar kids, Jessa's the most likely to care about, and try to extend, her role as a reality TV stah.

I don't think going to Danger Americas says anything at all positive about Jill, but I agree with everything else. Jill is a much more open and friendly than any of her sisters, really, who all kind of closed themselves off to certain degrees as a result of the fame, whereas Jill sincerely enjoys the "ministry" of celebrity. I'm not sure any of the mainstreaming we're seeing will result in any significant change in beliefs, only because Derick is a hard core dominionist and Jill is too dumb to experience any cognitive dissonance, but I could imagine the Dullards living and socializing with all sorts of people, and those people being really surprised when they learn about their horrible beliefs.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Over on the Jessa topic, a few people have commented that they could see Jessa ditching Gothard life and going mainstream - especially once the TLC show is over.

When I look at Jill and Derick's current life, it looks mainstream  - although It hasn't been smooth, or pretty. The Dillards are living in modest housing which may be a rental, in Fayetteville. They're not a world away from the TTH, but they aren't right on the doorstep either. They are off the TV show and no longer part of the Duggar brand as it relates to TV. That's major IMO because the biggest Duggar publicity pushes, including those US Weekly and People magazine stories, are driven by TLC, and the Dillards no longer exist as far as TLC is concerned.

From the early days of their marriage, they have attended Cross Church. Derick just finished a year of the Cross Church's ministry skool. From their SM posts it appears that Jill participated in many activities related to that, including interacting with college students.  Cross Church is a prominent church in the Southern Baptist Convention. Of course, this is firmly in the world of conservative evangelicals. But. Southern Baptist women don't hide in the house wearing frumpwear. They get educated, hold jobs, join clubs, make friends, have social lives, and don't need an accountability partner to go to the grocery store. That's the world Derick grew up in. Remember, as strange as he can be, he never was indoctrinated with all the Gothard bullsh*t about "eye trap" clothing and music being evil and every song, book, or story must be about God, and the rest of it. Derick can be a goofball, and worse, but his default status is not life on a family compound where the patriarch calls all the shots, or in some IFB cult church. 

Jill wears jeans, shows her shoulders, and has that nose stud. She shills for some secular products that aren't all about the Bible. The Dillards fly (on the Duggar plane) to Oklahoma to visit Derick's family and friends there, and to hang out with his OSU buds and Pistol Pete. 

No, Jill hasn't cut ties with her family of origin, and I'm sure she hasn't ditched the Gothard/IBLP/BSC concepts that were hammered into her head as she grew up. She's not going to write a tell all book. 

But her life now is more out in the mainstream than Jessa's.  Jessa seems to still live in the Duggar bubble. Sure, she's all about the TV thing and I think she'll be all bent out of shape when the show is over.  I think the more interesting thing about Jessa in the near future is, what happens when Ben finishes his theology school studies? Is there going to be room for another newly minted preacher in NW Arkansas? Will the Seewalds have to move away from the area of the TTH for Ben's ministry career? 

I think Jill - who has shown herself to be emotionally fragile - might be better able to cope with that situation than Jessa. Jill at least has been in challenging situations that Jessa's simply never faced. We snarked over the Danger America stints, but at least the girl went. She may have been playing at being a missionary and things didn't go the way she probably had fantasized - but dang, the girl went there. She wasn't queening around the TTH like Jessa, who was obviously uncomfortable interacting with people outside her Gothard/Duggar bubble in those episodes featuring some of Ben's activities. Jill's been exposed to way more of life outside the bubble than Jessa, both at home and abroad, and there are many more mainstream aspects to her life now than to Jessa's. 

Since this post is more about Jill than Jessa, I put it here. I don't want to hijack this topic to get into a big discussion of Jessa. It's just that when I saw the comments about Jessa going seriously "mainstream," disavowing Gothard, and doing some kind of Breaking Amish type TV show - I got to thinking that Jessa's remained much more embedded in DuggarWorld on a daily basis than Jill. TBH I don't see either of them breaking away from the beliefs that they ave been so relentlessly indoctrinated in, but of all of the Duggar kids, Jessa's the most likely to care about, and try to extend, her role as a reality TV stah. It remains to be seen what she'll do about that when the time comes.

You made so good points.  Jill does seem friendlier and more open.  I think part of it is overcompensating for her jerk of a husband.  I could see Jill possibly breaking free too, but I doubt there would be much tv interest given Derdick’s behavior.  Jessa could work the angle and get a show out of it.  I can still see Jessa leaving, but could also see her going back if it didn’t work out like she planned.   

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 5

Derick finished his first day of law school classes yesterday and hasn't posted a word about them.  My guess is that he is shell-shocked.  There are reasons why the first year dropout rate for law school is 20 – 40%.  I wonder if Derick knew how much reading was involved in law school.  He doesn't seem to like to read at all and reading about case law is not the most interesting endeavor for many people.  I think he is way out of his element.

By now, he has learned that students in law school courses are graded on a curve, which means that the numbers of A's, B's, C's and D's are rationed.  Very few students will achieve a 3.0 grade average.

Also, class ranking is important.  If a student doesn't graduate in the top 10% of his class, he will not be offered a job at the best law firms.

Derick has never stated the reason he decided (or Jesus called him) to go to law school.  Why is he doing this?  What are his goals if he pulls it off, graduates and passes the bar exam? We can all guess about these things, but that is not the same as hearing from Derick himself.  He began the process of applying for law school about seven months ago, so he has had plenty of time to concoct a PR spin for this decision.  Even though he is a known liar, deceiver and equivocator, I want him to state WTF he is doing in law school.

• Love 24

I give Jill credit for pursuing the midwifery program and the volunteer EMT or whatever it was.  She graduated from Duggar Academy and actually tried to do something, which is way more than I can say for most of the other adult Duggars. JD did his own thing by becoming a pilot, but the other boys have fallen in line with whatever projects Pops gave them. Jill at least forged her own path.

• Love 12

Your great posts brought a good question to mind. Since it seems that this whole bunch of people, sons in law included, are agreeing to homeschool their children, why is it OK for Derick to attend a real, secular Law School? Shouldn't Derick be on a homeschool education/training program like poor Izzy? The post that addressed this earlier here, is quite right. I don't understand their contradictions. If the Lord is leading him to law school, why didn't the Lord simply lead him to law school immediately after his Nepal 'experience' ? Israel needs to attend a real pre school with other kids. Sam should follow him there too.

• Love 13

I do have to wonder what is going to happen to some of the Duggar offspring after the show is off the air and Jim Bob is no longer around. They've certainly made a lot of money, but I don't think it will be enough to support the ever growing families as time goes on. It appears that Jim Bob is still supporting Jill and Derrick, even though they are off the show. He's supporting all of his married sons and their families since all of them work for him. I'm thinking maybe Joy is being supported mostly by Austin, but I'll bet they still collect from the Duggar family pot for appearing on the show. Jinger most likely bought their house through money she earned from the show, not on Jeremy's minister salary, which probably couldn't support a nice house like that anyway. Jim Bob seems to be in quite a hurry to now get all of his kids that are legal adults married and starting families in order to keep the show  going, but it won't last forever. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Your great posts brought a good question to mind. Since it seems that this whole bunch of people, sons in law included, are agreeing to homeschool their children, why is it OK for Derick to attend a real, secular Law School? Shouldn't Derick be on a homeschool education/training program like poor Izzy? The post that addressed this earlier here, is quite right. I don't understand their contradictions. If the Lord is leading him to law school, why didn't the Lord simply lead him to law school immediately after his Nepal 'experience' ? Israel needs to attend a real pre school with other kids. Sam should follow him there too.

I don't think Derick has said much about the way he and Jill plan to educate their kids, has he? We have heard a lot of yak from JB and Michelle about their approach to education, but I think it would be a mistake to attribute those opinions to Derick. We know that under the teachings Jill absorbed growing up Duggar, her husband is the headship and she follows along.

Edited to add: Many students who are homeschooled through high school, go on to get college degrees, including graduate and professional degrees. Including Jeremy Vuolo and Ben Seewald. I don't see any contradiction between homeschooling kids for K-12 and those kids going on to higher education. Also, Izzy is three years old, preschool age at most. Jill's starting some homeschooling with him now doesn't mean Derick thinks that's all Izzy will ever have as to education. 

Back to the original post: I don't think Derick is anti-school (and all in to homeschooling forever), or against higher education. If anything, he's shaping up to be that guy who's an eternal student.

Derick went to school (I think public school), and went on to college and got a bachelor's degree. Shortly after he married Jill, he made comments (and maybe social media posts) that both of them were doing seminary courses in pursuit of being missionaries. Then, there was radio silence on that because I think that's when he realized how remarkably ignorant and un-educated Jill was, and there was no way she'd ever meet the IMB's college-level education requirements. The next thing was that he pushed and supported Jill to finally complete the coursework through that amateur midwife association, pass the exam, and get her certificate. IIRC she'd started before they met but I suspect her lack of study skills plus all the Duggar circus distractions had worked against her completing the courses. Derick bragged about and complimented Jill on social media for getting that certificate and passing that test. Then after floundering around with their "missionary" phase, he did a year at the Cross Church missionary skool. 

I don't have a clue why Derick really wants to go to law school, but he doesn't owe me an explanation. Of course he and Jill made a statement to their big social media following that this is where the Lord has led them, yada yada, which is pretty generic religion-speak and not even particularly fundie religion. They threw in a phrase about "staying stateside for now" because either Derick's missionary dreams haven't died or they want to keep their supporters in the mindset that they're still all about converting people to follow the correct Jesus, incidentally leaving the door open for future grifting.

BTW, I don't know that either JB or Michelle have actually dissed higher education, but if they have I hope someone will post the details and correct my misinformation. The leghumpers seem to think that all the Duggars who've reached 18 have passed the GED, which is not true (some have, and I think most haven't especially in recent years after it became harder to do). We know about JB's famous statement that when they started building their house, he and the kids watched the skilled trades at work for an hour or two, and then were able to continue the work themselves. 

Since this is the Dillard topic I haven't gone into the Seewalds or Vuolos. Ben and Jeremy were home-schooled, but not in the pathetic way the Duggars did it, and IIRC Jeremy went to high school. Jeremy's earned a bachelor's degree, Ben's got a community college certificate/diploma, and both are now enrolled in seminary schools. I haven't looked into what Ben or Jeremy have said about their plans for educating their own kids. I would not assume that either of them would scorn the idea of higher education for their kids, and especially in Jeremy's case I would not assume that either of them are all that impressed with the quality of education the Duggar kids received at their SOTDRT.

Edited by Jeeves
another thought
  • Love 16

Jill made a video post showing the preschool curriculum she is using with Israel. It's quite extensive and way more seat work than a 3-year-old needs, but that's pretty common for parents homeschooling their first child. I'm pretty sure her plans are to continue to homeschool since that's part of her family's schtick and gives her a legitimate reason not to get a real education or a real job.

• Love 12