Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It was on Cathy's instagram. No caption, just the picture.

What an odd thing to do, posting a picture of herself in the hospital like that with no caption.  She had to know that people would worry, considering her well-known bout with cancer only a year or so ago. 

I'm assuming that people who saw the photo asked her what was happening, because I've heard that she's said that she was only getting some IV fluids and antibiotics.

Maybe she had a caption that didn't show up and she didn't notice?  Otherwise, it smacks of attention getting behavior.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

What an odd thing to do, posting a picture of herself in the hospital like that with no caption.  She had to know that people would worry, considering her well-known bout with cancer only a year or so ago. 

I'm assuming that people who saw the photo asked her what was happening, because I've heard that she's said that she was only getting some IV fluids and antibiotics.

Maybe she had a caption that didn't show up and she didn't notice?  Otherwise, it smacks of attention getting behavior.

Even with a caption, it smacks of attention getting behavior to me.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It was on Cathy's instagram. No caption, just the picture.

Is there any possibility that it was meant to be a throwback, sort of "look how far we've come!" photo? With no caption, it could be interpreted any number of ways. I hope she is not sick again as well, if only because positive outcomes in general seem to bode well for those closer to us. Though I certainly don't wish her ill.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Okay, I honestly don't wish Cathy any ill will, but does anyone else think it's a strange coincidence we get a picture of a sickly Cathy followed by an enlarged "Donate" link on the Dullards' home page? 

Oh, I don't think it's a coincidence at all. The Dullards are stupid, but still sly enough to know how maximize the grift.

• Love 6

The Dillards are  supposed to raise a certain amount of money each week they are in the field, right?

I wonder if they weren't meeting quota and were asked to go home and only return when they raise enough.  Could explain why they don't have a return date, they may not actually know at this point.

• Love 3

Good luck to Derick's Mom.

And take down your friggin' DONATE button that can be seen from space 

Wow, is it possible that all this time when you heard recordings of astronaut's comments from space, and they say, "Wow, it's so blue from up here," there weren't talking about the oceans, they were talking about the Dillard's DONATE button??

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

For what they're likely getting paid to do this show, I'm sure they can afford health insurance.

They don't believe in it. Remember the ultra-Christian way of contributing to some organization (wasn't it called Samaritan or something?) that is either ultra-high deductible "insurance" or covers the bills of those who end up needing a doctor/hospital visit? This family is too damn stupid (and too religiously insane/beholden to the GOP) to sign up for the ACA exchanges.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TaxNerd said:

The Dillards are  supposed to raise a certain amount of money each week they are in the field, right?

I wonder if they weren't meeting quota and were asked to go home and only return when they raise enough.  Could explain why they don't have a return date, they may not actually know at this point.

That would be interesting if they were "encouraged" to leave. I wonder if the Duggars' over-emphasis on the risks and danger caused Jim to tell them to take a hike. After all, his racket, oops, I mean mission, relies heavily on Fundies sending their sons and daughters down there to do Jesus-y things and pat themselves on the back. It can't be good for business when your most famous employees do nothing but talk about how scary and awful it is.

• Love 5

My bet is that if SOS told Derrik and Jill to stay home, it was because of a combination of public scorn on their pathetic 'mission' that got a lot of people to look closely at SOS, their clumsy attempts to get funds for their mission, and the obvious failure of Jill to be able to even try to acclimate to El Salvador.  The whole thing made everyone involved look bad.

• Love 23
26 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

My bet is that if SOS told Derrik and Jill to stay home, it was because of a combination of public scorn on their pathetic 'mission' that got a lot of people to look closely at SOS, their clumsy attempts to get funds for their mission, and the obvious failure of Jill to be able to even try to acclimate to El Salvador.  The whole thing made everyone involved look bad.

Well said. Totally agree.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Zahdii said:

The more we learn about Cathy...the more I see where Derick gets his wackiness from.

Posting something like that is so totally Derick Dillard. Like mother, like son.  ;)

• Love 2

No, that's not until next month. And Derick isn't IBLP, AFAIK. 

My money is on a Hawaii trip that's being filmed. eta: It occurred to me that he (they?) could also be heading to Nepal for a visit (filmed, of course). What missioncation? SOS who??? Still, radio silence from the Dullards today, other than Derick's tweet. Jessa posted an ultrasound, and Duggar Studios posted a video of Joy making pumpkin balls, so it seems business as usual in NWA, except for the Dullards. 

Duggars could leave as late as tomorrow (Friday) for the El Salvador missioncation. We shall see...

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
On 12/6/2016 at 5:26 PM, Churchhoney said:

So easy to say. Doing it's a whole different matter, though.

I'll bet that 75 percent of the population -- at least -- wouldn't have the wherewithal to leave Jill's situation. There's a reason no Duggar kid has left. And only part of it is that they;'re kind of dumb. An equally big part of it, in my opinion, is that they're just like most people, pretty darned normal really.

And normal people? I know a lot of them. And I'd bet on hardly any to actually leave a situation like that, if they were in it. Even though they all tell me that that of course they would. I'm massively massively eccentric. And it's my eccentricities that helped me leave. Without them, I'd be stuck just like the rest of my family. We're still waiting for the eccentric Duggar to appear.

I agree it does require an enormous helping of conventionality to be fundie, more so than normal people know.  It's no coincidence that I'm the only member of my immediate family to read more than the "average Americans read one book a year" quota.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I agree it does require an enormous helping of conventionality to be fundie, more so than normal people know.  It's no coincidence that I'm the only member of my immediate family to read more than the "average Americans read one book a year" quota.

A big part of it, too is a simple lack of critical thinking skills. It's kind of amazing how many people seem to lack those to start with, but when your very salvation is partially dependent on putting blinkers on to prevent those Satanic thoughts from gaining a foothold, you have no real outside influence and not a huge amount of natural intelligence or curiosity, there's really no chance for even the most rudimentary of critical thinking skills to develop. Wondering about things on the "outside" of their bubble is just not really in their mental vocabulary.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ms.o said:

Cathy commented same day on her photo:  "I am on the mend, my husband & doctor & nurse take no chances" and a thanks for the prayers.

Heh, Why do you need them if you have God, Cath?

Wasn't Cathy writing a book about her life? Maybe this is God's way of saying STFU, you're not that special.

I'm agreeing with the comments that the Dillards weren't asked back. Jill went from good intentioned idiot too terrified little girl thanks to SOS. That's not a good commercial for their base.

• Love 5
On 12/8/2016 at 2:56 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I think the idea that Derick and Jill are going on a 2nd honeymoon to Hawaii is quite a stretch. They've only been married for a little over 2 years, FFS.

Could be a concerted "we gotta get pregnant" effort, if true.

I have my doubts that any of these folks have ever read the book of Job.

• Love 1

I hadn't considered that SOS wouldn't want Derrick and Jill back, but now that you guys mention it, it makes a lot of sense to me. The way they constantly harped on how dangerous Danger America is, with Jill going so far as to say she didn't have to worry about Derrick dying here in the US like she did in DA....that must have pissed off SOS. Their entire income stream comes from useless wannabe do-gooders with no skills who pay premium rates so they could have anecdotes about the time they saved spiritually dead brown people. The Dullards proclaimed on national television, multiple times, that their lives were under constant threat. In their simple minds they probably thought it made them look nobly self-sacrificing, but to potential customers--err, excuse me, I meant "missionaries"--that sounded like something they wouldn't want to spend their money on.

So in conclusion, Jill was miserable and SOS might have suffered some financial losses. I'm now feeling gleeful about the Dullards stay in DA.

• Love 12

What have they ever accomplished on their 'missions' exactly?  I know at one point they were trying to learn to speak Spanish.  Did they ever succeed?  At another point Jill wore glasses and pretended to use a tri-corder looking device on a pregnant woman.  How many babies did she help safely deliver?  Another time they were using their social public accounts to proclaim that they were missioning to people who were 'spiritually dead' because they didn't believe what they believe.  They put on a play once that even people who are familiar with their faith found difficult to translate into meaning.   It's almost like OK they know they have to make some money to live so they just go on a mission to Danger America and use that as justification for grifting.  

• Love 6
19 hours ago, TaxNerd said:

When I first read "In the Field"  all I could picture was Derick joining Joshley selling cars in that field.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, maraleia said:

So the date night photo was taken at Panera which is an LGBT friendly business. They are such hypocrites like everyone else on the right-wing side of the political spectrum.

Bbbbbbut....the food there is good...Panera has upgraded the quality of their food and ingredients 

Even though Chick Fil A is a Fundy haven, I gotta admit that if I have to eat fast food (as in...in a hurry, nothing else around), CFA at least puts out better quality offerings aaaaaaand their bathrooms are always clean....

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Defrauder said:

They put on a play once that even people who are familiar with their faith found difficult to translate into meaning.  

Play? Or was it the infamous interpretive dance that confirmed everything we ever suspected about how awkward their sex lives must be?

• Love 3

The article hasn't been updated in five years. I even knew that just by looking at the pictures, but clicking through confirmed the date. So, we really have no proof that Jerick are no longer with them. They obviously don't update most of their website very often, aside from the missioncation dates. 

• Love 1

Trying to be objective, I don't think Jill and Derick brought good publicity to SOS.

When Jim Bob and Michelle and the entire clan went down there every year, I felt that was positive attention for SOS. 

Jill and Derick?  I didn't get that "feel good" vibe.  Constantly blathering on about the danger, no water, gunfire, Jill crying...it really didn't look very inviting.  If we had seen some amazing results, maybe.  But the viewer at home has seen zero.  I really couldn't write 5 things that those two clowns accomplished down there. Can I even write 1 thing?  They shared the Gospel, we think, but we aren't even sure about that because we saw no preaching, church or anything that looked like they planted a church or actually accomplished a darn thing. So no Christian SOS goals were accomplished and no humanitarian goals were accomplished?  

Maybe SOS did not like the edit they received?  The DANGER was a fun story line for Counting On but SOS probably didn't benefit at all from scaring the crap out of potential missioncationers. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5

Jill and Derek were not good representatives imo. 

The media page uses the Duggar name (yes a page that is not current, referring to 19 Kids and Counting and the Discovery channel and all) but that was the family, not these two. Perhaps it would have been updated if someone thought it would be a positive thing.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Bbbbbbut....the food there is good...Panera has upgraded the quality of their food and ingredients 

Even though Chick Fil A is a Fundy haven, I gotta admit that if I have to eat fast food (as in...in a hurry, nothing else around), CFA at least puts out better quality offerings aaaaaaand their bathrooms are always clean....

I refuse to go to Chick Fil A because they are anti-LGBT.

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, maraleia said:

I thought they got taken out of context on that and said that everyone should feel welcome there, but if they refuse to hire/promote openly (or not) LGBT people, then they would  still be anti LGBT, regardless of nice washing.  Willam Belli and Detox (RuPauls Drag Race) did a video on YouTube and called it Chow Down at Chick Fil A.  It's hilarious.

I don't go there often, but like you, I don't want to patronize anyone who isn't LGBT friendly. Thanks for confirming this. 

Cracks me up that the Duggars love Starbucks as well, one of the first businesses to offer same sex partner benefits...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

Me too.  Even if they stopped donating to anti-LGBT causes, their beliefs are still the same.  Not that my refusal to go there matters to them at all, it just makes me feel better.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I thought they got taken out of context on that and said that everyone should feel welcome there, but if they refuse to hire/promote openly (or not) LGBT people, then they would  still be anti LGBT, regardless of nice washing.  Willam Belli and Detox (RuPauls Drag Race) did a video on YouTube and called it Chow Down at Chick Fil A.  It's hilarious.

I don't go there often, but like you, I don't want to patronize anyone who isn't LGBT friendly. Thanks for confirming this. 

Cracks me up that the Duggars love Starbucks as well, one of the first businesses to offer same sex partner benefits...

And Apple.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

Jill and Derick?  I didn't get that "feel good" vibe.  Constantly blathering on about the danger, no water, gunfire, Jill crying...it really didn't look very inviting.  If we had seen some amazing results, maybe.  But the viewer at home has seen zero.  I really couldn't write 5 things that those two clowns accomplished down there. Can I even write 1 thing?  They shared the Gospel, we think, but we aren't even sure about that because we saw no preaching, church or anything that looked like they planted a church or actually accomplished a darn thing. So no Christian SOS goals were accomplished and no humanitarian goals were accomplished?  

Maybe SOS did not like the edit they received?  The DANGER was a fun story line for Counting On but SOS probably didn't benefit at all from scaring the crap out of potential missioncationers. 

Even worse, Derrick explicitly stated that humanitarian work was not their purpose and that it was unimportant compared to their mission. Points for honesty, I guess--because who among us believed SOS did anything useful?--but being so open about it was a stupid PR move.  

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Even worse, Derrick explicitly stated that humanitarian work was not their purpose and that it was unimportant compared to their mission. Points for honesty, I guess--because who among us believed SOS did anything useful?--but being so open about it was a stupid PR move.  

Dude believes he's saving the "spiritually dead." Who needs running water anyway? Well, except for the Dullards, because without it, Jill will cry. 

• Love 18

Absolutely. What good is potable water, food to eat, school, and medical care when you're going to hell?  The dullards have their priorities.

I can tell you from my experience growing up fundie/evangelical that never did I hear mention of missionaries doing anything other than spreading the gospel or translating the Bible, until I went to a Mennonite college which emphasized global service and actually cared for people's needs.  It was revolutionary  for me to see them digging wells, farming, providing medical care, and directly facilitating peacemaking. (And ordaining women- but that's off topic!)

• Love 14
11 hours ago, lascuba said:

I'm not entirely sure that would have bothered S.O.S., though. It may have. But it's really the way they advertise themselves, too. Here and there on their website there's a tiny perfunctory mention of some kind of humanitarian activity. But the vast vast majority of it pushes and pushes the -- We save the brown people! theme. And by the exact same means we've seen with Derick's sermon writing and the Dill's sporadic hanging around with people, and so on.

Here's their latest about Central America, for example:

"From mission teams from the USA that come and serve (thank you to the many on the March team for your service to our Lord Jesus) to those who live on the field with SOS.

"Baptism with care

"STORY #1 – We ministered to a schoolboy, who consequently invited his mother and older brother to come to La Esperanza. Through befriending and the preaching of the Word, the mother and brother came to the Lord. Then, most precious to the SOS team…they were baptized in the ocean. The discipleship is now pressing on with these new ones in Christ.

"Jason entering the waters of baptism

"STORY #2 – Through the same type of street preaching ministry mentioned above, the SOS team on the ground evangelized a number of young men. One of them, Jason, believed and turned to the Lord. He faithfully was coming to the Bible studies and activities for the church. And expressing a desire to be baptized, Jason entered the waters of baptism as well. Here’s a sound bite and take away from Levi in all this…”God honors and uses those who are obedient to take His message of Light into darkness, allowing them to see the fruit of their labors. He can do the same for you!”

"Now that’s what I call baptism by submersion!

"STORY # 3 – This intriguing narrative was the result of a house visit. Rafael was distant from the Lord, the church and Christians. His wife, Maribel, had come to faith and was faithfully serving the Lord at La Esperanza. So the mission team went to visit and bless them at their very poor hut (that they actually borrow because their too poor to have their own mud hut). The ministry for Rafael’s soul would not just take place at the hut, but the following day. It wasn’t until the baptism/church service that Rafael put his faith and trust in Christ. And then, like a scene out of the New Testament, his immediate confession led to his immediate baptism (consider similar stories…Acts 2:41; 8:38; 16:14-15). Praise the Lord!"

http://www.soshope.org/about/news/

1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

How many of these stories last for a lifetime of commitment to SOS version of Jesus or do these people go through with the ceremonies, etc. and then go back to their regular life.  

Well, if the stats that are reported for other religious conversions apply -- and they probably do -- I'd guess under 1 percent. Or at most under 5 percent.

I guess Jesus gives a lot of points just for trying.....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

How many of these stories last for a lifetime of commitment to SOS version of Jesus or do these people go through with the ceremonies, etc. and then go back to their regular life.  

And are they doing all this evangelizing and baptizing in Spanish??

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

$20 says the Duggars believe they're "witnessing to the lost" every time they stop in for a split shot skinny latte with foam...

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I'm not entirely sure that would have bothered S.O.S., though. It may have. But it's really the way they advertise themselves, too. Here and there on their website there's a tiny perfunctory mention of some kind of humanitarian activity. But the vast vast majority of it pushes and pushes the -- We save the brown people! theme. And by the exact same means we've seen with Derick's sermon writing and the Dill's sporadic hanging around with people, and so on.

Here's their latest about Central America, for example:

"From mission teams from the USA that come and serve (thank you to the many on the March team for your service to our Lord Jesus) to those who live on the field with SOS.

"Baptism with care

"STORY #1 – We ministered to a schoolboy, who consequently invited his mother and older brother to come to La Esperanza. Through befriending and the preaching of the Word, the mother and brother came to the Lord. Then, most precious to the SOS team…they were baptized in the ocean. The discipleship is now pressing on with these new ones in Christ.

"Jason entering the waters of baptism

"STORY #2 – Through the same type of street preaching ministry mentioned above, the SOS team on the ground evangelized a number of young men. One of them, Jason, believed and turned to the Lord. He faithfully was coming to the Bible studies and activities for the church. And expressing a desire to be baptized, Jason entered the waters of baptism as well. Here’s a sound bite and take away from Levi in all this…”God honors and uses those who are obedient to take His message of Light into darkness, allowing them to see the fruit of their labors. He can do the same for you!”

"Now that’s what I call baptism by submersion!

"STORY # 3 – This intriguing narrative was the result of a house visit. Rafael was distant from the Lord, the church and Christians. His wife, Maribel, had come to faith and was faithfully serving the Lord at La Esperanza. So the mission team went to visit and bless them at their very poor hut (that they actually borrow because their too poor to have their own mud hut). The ministry for Rafael’s soul would not just take place at the hut, but the following day. It wasn’t until the baptism/church service that Rafael put his faith and trust in Christ. And then, like a scene out of the New Testament, his immediate confession led to his immediate baptism (consider similar stories…Acts 2:41; 8:38; 16:14-15). Praise the Lord!"

http://www.soshope.org/about/news/

And this part of the story was necessary, why?

• Love 7