Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think Derick May have had a rather servere underbite. I have one. They are said to cause problems later in life, like severe headaches and jaw pain. Mine is bad enough that surgery was not recommended due to possible disintegration of the jaw bone. But I was sent to many surgeons as it is felt to be medically necessary to avoid pain.

Edited by flyingdi
(edited)

The blue baby seat thing - does that have suction? My 1st reaction to that picture was whoa, he's going to push himself right over the edge of the table with one push of his foot.

I see a lot of pics on FB with little ones on counter tops and tables. Is that the norm now?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 1

I'm wondering how many eggs it took to make that cake. There's like half a dozen cracked eggs there. There must be an adults cake, too.

I was wondering that too. I count at least fifteen cracked eggs in that carton.

• Love 1

Oddly enough, the box cake mix is the one thing I won't criticize Jill on. I think I'm just so over the trend of elaborate children's parties that kids won't even remember a week later. I miss the days when birthday parties consisted of hot dogs, a few games and those cakes with the Barbies stuck in the middle.

maybe the box is on display because Izzy helped Mommy stir.

I mean, in that case I'd think Derick should get a picture of him stirring, but maybe he wasn't around.

(edited)

I'm wondering how many eggs it took to make that cake. There's like half a dozen cracked eggs there. There must be an adults cake, too.

That was my original thought, too.

They made two cakes (there are two boxes of cake mix on the table), and there are two parts to each shell, so it looks like 4 eggs to me. My initial thought was that Jill just can't get past the idea of always making multiples of everything, but I'm going to take Barbie's word for it and assume that a "smash cake" is a trend.

ETA: Fix awful grammar and punctuation. No SODRT for me.

Edited by cmr2014
  • Love 1

I don't know what Jill put in that cake but it looks nothing like the cake mix I use that rise and look like cake. Her's looks like it was an under cooked mess. I've been baking since I was a kid it looks like too many liquids thus causing her cake not to come out right. Maybe she tried making it with way too many eggs?

• Love 1

I don't know what Jill put in that cake but it looks nothing like the cake mix I use that rise and look like cake. Her's looks like it was an under cooked mess. I've been baking since I was a kid it looks like too many liquids thus causing her cake not to come out right. Maybe she tried making it with way too many eggs?

I give her a pass because the directions on the box were in a foreign language. Spanish is reeeally hard. ;^p

• Love 6

totally disgusting.  Not they will ever ask, but I'd never eat anything in their house or anything made by them.  I'm not a pot luck person, because who knows how it was made, and my friends are more gentile than this group, not that it takes much.  My house is a mess.  Deep down clean, but messy.  Not as bad as Jill's, though.  And I don't know, I've never left cracked eggs in a box.  I crack them and dispose of the shells into the trash or down the disposer.  I don't throw them back in the box with a row of untracked eggs.  I just don't understand.  And I was never taught housework or cooking.  I went to boarding school where food magically appeared at the correct times of day, and some unknown person cleaned your room.  I did my laundry, because I wanted to.  Special request.  So I didn't have a cooking and cleaning teacher either.  Didn't have a baby care class either, and I do a better job than these slobs.  

• Love 6

Poopshoot, I think posters here speculate it is a smash cake, something made for one year old kids to smash on their birthday.  Sounds like a really bad idea but maybe it's just me.  Doesn't sound fun at all.

• Love 1

Why is the cake so flat? It's barely taller than a pancake. I've never seen a cake come out like that.

I speculated that she might have used way too many eggs and underbaked it. The mix might have been old too and the baking powder didn't fully activate.

• Love 1

The seat is a Bumbo or a knockoff.  He should have been out of it as soon as he could sit on his own.  It's only to be used for young infants who need some support.  It should never, ever have been put on a table or counter with a child inside.  They are a disaster waiting to happen when used improperly and no they don't have suction.  Smashing part or all of a cake has been around for over 40 years.  Although recently I've seen a lot more cupcakes used.  I like seeing the child get a slice of regular cake to see what they do. 

• Love 6
(edited)

That looks like a white cake mix. Some brands call for 4 egg whites. If she made two mixes, that's 8 eggs, which seems about right to me when I look at that pile of shells. Hope she didn't waste the yolks.

I was baking a special little cake for my kids' 1st birthdays 25 years ago. I just wasn't cool enough to call it a smash cake or rich enough to outsource the job to a confectionary artisan. And I'm sorry, but I think there's nothing cuter than a little one gobbling and pulverizing their first piece of cake. I still have the pictures!

Edited by Portia
  • Love 8

totally disgusting.  Not they will ever ask, but I'd never eat anything in their house or anything made by them.  I'm not a pot luck person, because who knows how it was made, and my friends are more gentile than this group, not that it takes much.  My house is a mess.  Deep down clean, but messy.  Not as bad as Jill's, though.  And I don't know, I've never left cracked eggs in a box.  I crack them and dispose of the shells into the trash or down the disposer.  I don't throw them back in the box with a row of untracked eggs.  I just don't understand.  And I was never taught housework or cooking.  I went to boarding school where food magically appeared at the correct times of day, and some unknown person cleaned your room.  I did my laundry, because I wanted to.  Special request.  So I didn't have a cooking and cleaning teacher either.  Didn't have a baby care class either, and I do a better job than these slobs.  

I agree. I don't think anyone need special housekeeping classes to keep a clean house. Often it is kids who grow up in dysfunctional, cluttered or dirty homes who are the best housekeepers.

We know that someone in the Duggar circle reads the forums in order to create the FU internet scenes, so please, please, do us all a favor and do a FU internet moment of a clean house, and basic child safety.

I was glad to see that Kathy was there for Izzy's birthday. My impression is that she tries to be hands-off and not interfere, but I have some hope that she will have some influence on them and help them with their parenting. I remember, too, that there was a scene in one of the specials where Kathy and Derick were out buying boots and the klingonater was not with them. I hope that in these few Jill-free moments, Derick is able to speak freely and get some sane advice.

• Love 2

Izzy in that bumpo thing on the table...Jill is going to wind up with a disabled or dead kid if she doesn't get some common sense. Makes me wonder wtf happened to all of those kids growing up with no supervision. I'm surprised that they all have made it so far with no *catastrophic* injuries. 

• Love 2

Oh, I would have loved to see Jilly making Izzy's cake. Maybe they'll reenact it for a future episode. I'm sure she had Janna on stand-by Skype to help her measure things.

• Love 7

I'm beginning to think she made two cakes, but not of equal size.  I think she was aiming for a small one for Izzie and only put about half the normal batter in the pan. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm beginning to think she made two cakes, but not of equal size.  I think she was aiming for a small one for Izzie and only put about half the normal batter in the pan. 

No since I bake all the time it looks like she made the whole box and put in a too big baking pan all the while she might have used all the whole egg instead of just the whites. If she would have used just egg whites the cake would have risen properly. Too much liquid, using the whole egg and perhaps the mix was old  caused her cake to come out like that.

Baking is truly a science and since they don't believe in science her cake came out looking  like a mushy mess. Perhaps next time Jesus will guide her to  reading the directions. lol

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

As mom to a newly one-year-old, I can also confirm that smash cakes are a a thing. I wish they weren't--they're so gross and vulgar. The adults all crowd around, filming excitedly, waiting for the kids to stuff their faces. Because my child isn't veal, she got a small slice of her birthday cake, the end.

I'll bet Jill just puts the used eggshells back in the carton. Because the internet is anonymous, I'll admit that I do too. Thinking about it now, I have no idea why. It makes my husband bananas.

I think Jill dislikes Derick's mom. Just a sense I have.

• Love 8

Izzy looks dirty in those pictures before he even got to the cake. Take a look at his right foot. Looks like she stepped in oil she was using to put in the cake. Why do they always look gross and dirty?

• Love 1

Izzy looks dirty in those pictures before he even got to the cake. Take a look at his right foot. Looks like she stepped in oil she was using to put in the cake. Why do they always look gross and dirty?

Lulz! I think the answer is in the question. They always look gross and dirty because they ARE gross and dirty. The locals who have no indoor plumbing look cleaner and better groomed than the Dullards.

• Love 4

Oh, I would have loved to see Jilly making Izzy's cake. Maybe they'll reenact it for a future episode. I'm sure she had Janna on stand-by Skype to help her measure things.

That would have been comedic, since Jana couldn't even figure out how to make Minute Rice.

• Love 3

And Michael Bates too!

I think Michael Bates is actually worse than Jill. At least, Jill behaved somewhat normally during the courtship phase. Michael psycho stalked a guy for three years and he didn't even know she existed.

• Love 1

Jill acted like a giggly fifteen year old girl with her first boyfriend when she was in her courtship phase. I do not know if any of the Duggars know how to act normally in the courtship phase or in marriage.

(edited)

Breaking in to say the term klingonater to describe Jill is classic. I may need to use the term at a later time.

Except I saw that post and went "Wait, what the hell does Worf have to do with any of this?"

And then a minute later I, you know, got it.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 7

Except I saw that post and went "Wait, what the hell does Worf have to do with any of this?"

And then a minute later I, you know, got it.

Heh. I pictured Jill with a Klingon forehead. Or Lursa or B'tor.

• Love 3

But don'tcha know they are DUGGAR girls and they do everything just a little bit differently. That mostly means they do it all wrong, but that's their story and they are sticking to it.

And sticking to the floor while they are at it.

• Love 2

Not sure if I missed someone posting this. A little snippet of Jill's birthday blog to Izzy.

"You love music and always dance to it when you hear it, or clap with the congregation during worship time in church."

• Love 1

Not sure if I missed someone posting this. A little snippet of Jill's birthday blog to Izzy.

"You love music and always dance to it when you hear it, or clap with the congregation during worship time in church."

Oh my Lord, her grammar is atrocious.

• Love 2

Well that's certainly interesting! I wonder if there's a certain age when they start cracking down on dancing/ body moving.

• Love 1

I don't think Jill messed up the cake.  I think it's just one layer and that is why it isn't very tall.  I can only hope the other layer was set aside for actual eating, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were several "takes" of the cake demolition scene and layer #2 was used as a prop as well.  Everything is just a photo op for these people. 

I don't know what grosses me out more ... the broken dirty eggshells beings stored alongside the unused eggs, the baby's dirty feet on the table where they are preparing and serving food, or the disgusting spectacle of him smeared with cake and icing and like it's "cute" or something.  It's a tough call. 

Actually, I think the grossest thing is the way the Dillards are making a big show of wasting food in an area that is supposedly so backwards and impoverished the local heathens need help and charity from the likes of Jill and Derrick.  I doubt many of the people they "minister" to would bake a cake for their kid to destroy.  And not (just) because it's stupid and disgusting.  It's because they might prefer to ... you know ... eat it.  

• Love 10

Every first birthday -cake smash I have seen, including my own kids-except we never called it a smash- was of a small cake placed in front of the baby, WHILE THE KID WAS IN A HIGH CHAIR! Sure their hands got smeared with frosting, and around their mouths, but the tray held most of the mess. But after a quick go at it, we'd clean the baby up. Not a full body cake-wash FFS!

• Love 1

Oh my Lord, her grammar is atrocious.

Jill's sentence is decidedly inelegant in its structure, but I don't see anything ungrammatical about it.
  • Love 6
(edited)

Or there's... y'know.. the side of the freakin' box!

ETA: which usually shows pictures, not just words, so the language doesn't even matter.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 5
(edited)

Jill acted like a giggly fifteen year old girl with her first boyfriend when she was in her courtship phase. I do not know if any of the Duggars know how to act normally in the courtship phase or in marriage

I don't see how they could, really. When your entire social life has involved your whole family traveling in a group, with severe restrictions even on what you say to each other, and then you're shoved into a now-you're-in-a-quick-runup-to-eternal-marriage relationship with somebody you barely know, there's no way you'd have the skills, the confidence, the emotional development  or the emotional balance to have a normal relationship with that person.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

"You love music and always dance to it when you hear it, or clap with the congregation during worship time in church."Jill's sentence is decidedly inelegant in its structure, but I don't see anything ungrammatical about it.

Actually, she's connecting a dependent clause to an independent one via the FANBOY. No comma is needed there.

Sorry, I do this for a living. :D

• Love 9

Actually, she's connecting a dependent clause to an independent one via the FANBOY. No comma is needed there.

As do I. :-D I think we are just using different terminology; I don't use the word "grammar" to refer to punctuation.

Nothing to see here, folks!

• Love 1

I don't do it for a living, so I'm sure there are things I'm not entirely on top of, but as much as I enjoy snarking on the Duggars I'm not sure I'd put an unnecessary comma in the "atrocious" category. The sentence itself, as Portia said, is decidedly  inelegant, but doesn't make me break out in hives as much as many other things do.

• Love 6

Jill seems to have no clue on how to keep a tidy house, much like Jessa. The Bates girls are paragons of elegance in comparison.

She really is a slatternly slovenly slut - Terrified Maxhell, are you listening?? She could do with her windows cleaned I'm sure.

For all that they harp on about womanly ways, none of the Duggar girls knows how to cook, clean, tidy, be efficient or anything really. And the boys don't know what hard work is either.

• Love 5

She could do with her windows cleaned I'm sure.

Do they even have windows? All I ever seem to notice are the ugly wrinkled curtains. And I swear that over the sink behind the curtains they had what looked like a picture of black bricks. Or I really need to visit my opthamologist.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2