Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

"I looked, and there's, like, a hundred thousand Spanish words, and I know, like, 136 of them, so I have a long ways to go there," he tells the camera.

20 hours of school a week and complete 'immersion'.

• Love 6

Re: Israel interrupting Jill's lessons, what ever happened to putting the kid in the pack n' play for some free time? Here's a better question: where was Cathy? I thought the whole point of her going down there was to help with the baby while they got adjusted? 

• Love 1

I looked, and here's, like, a hundred thirty words, and I know, like, 136 of them, so I have a long ways to go there," he tells the camera.

I'm beginning to think that he, like, might know, like, 136 words in, like, um, English.

20 hours of school a week and complete 'immersion'.

Maybe they're confusing immersion with baptism?

I sure don't see anything approaching "cultural immersion " any closer than language immersion. Except for maybe the hammock photo-op.

• Love 11

"I looked, and there's, like, a hundred thousand Spanish words, and I know, like, 136 of them, so I have a long ways to go there," he tells the camera.

I had two years of high school Spanish -- that's what, like five hours a week? For 30 weeks a year? High school was 35 years ago, and I can manage better than Derick. Quite a lot better, in fact. What the hell are they doing with their time? How can their Spanish still be this bad?

• Love 11

I had two years of high school Spanish -- that's what, like five hours a week? For 30 weeks a year? High school was 35 years ago, and I can manage better than Derick. Quite a lot better, in fact. What the hell are they doing with their time? How can their Spanish still be this bad?

In Jill's case, my guess is that the Spanish is going so badly because her English is so poor. She wasn't correctly-taught her own native language, so any other language is going to be that much harder as well. No idea what Derick's deal is however. Maybe he's just not his milieu. Maybe he was poorly home-schooled too. Do we know? I've only heard that he went to college at OSU. No idea what his grammar school and high school experiences were like.

eta - Then on the other hand, I don't think either Jill or Derick is trying very hard at all. Overall, the longer this "mission" deal goes on, the more it looks like they're both just treading water - trying to stay afloat until a Great Unknown Thing happens. Something tells me if TLC suddenly ordered a whole year of Duggar daughter filming, the mission trip would be ending very quickly. Or maybe they're waiting for something else entirely - no idea what. But the mission trip now feels like a placeholder to me. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 11

In Jill's case, my guess is that the Spanish is going so badly because her English is so poor. She wasn't correctly-taught her own native language, so any other language is going to be that much harder as well. No idea what Derick's deal is however. Maybe he's just not his milieuMaybe he was poorly home-schooled too. Do we know? I've only heard that he went to college at OSU. No idea what his grammar school and high school experiences were like.

eta - Then on the other hand, I don't think either Jill or Derick is trying very hard at all. Overall, the longer this "mission" deal goes on, the more it looks like they're both just treading water - trying to stay afloat until a Great Unknown Thing happens. Something tells me if TLC suddenly ordered a whole year of Duggar daughter filming, the mission trip would be ending very quickly. Or maybe they're waiting for something else entirely - no idea what. But the mission trip now feels like a placeholder to me. 

Stop that! You know that any Duggar reading that would think it's Spanish! LOL (eta that learning French would be even LESS in their milieu!)

Since Cathy had a longstanding career at Wally World before starting her own consulting business, I have no doubt that the Dullards were public-schooled. I have to wonder what foreign language Derick took in high school and college to fulfill that requirement. Japanese? 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
Maybe he's just not his milieu.
Stop that! You know that any Duggar reading that would think it's Spanish! LOL (eta that learning French would be even LESS in their milieu!)

No, YOU stop it !!! Jeez, you guys - you're taking the words out of my mouth (and the thoughts out of my brain) here...

Serious kudos (I'm bowing here !) to Wellfleet and Sew Sumi for two excellent posts that strike at the very nerve of what's up with Derick-Do-Little and JillyMuffyn. They've realized they've bit off more than they can possibly chew, and are now hoping for a full-time TLC gig as an excuse to abandon their "mission" to come back to the States. 

I've said it before - I'd have more respect for them if they'd just give up the ghost, admit they'd taken on more than they could handle, and come home, rather than trying (and failing) to minister to the people of Guatemala with their half-assed Funfetti Fundamentalism that consists solely of manicures, face-painting, bad interpretive dance skits, and scary-ass Bible tracts in Spanish that they can't even read.

The only thing Derick managed to say in the entire clip that didn't sound stilted, tongue-tied, or forced was "Yo quiero" because...Taco Bell. 

No mas, por favor. 

• Love 8

No, YOU stop it !!! Jeez, you guys - you're taking the words out of my mouth (and the thoughts out of my brain) here...

Serious kudos (I'm bowing here !) to Wellfleet and Sew Sumi for two excellent posts that strike at the very nerve of what's up with Derick-Do-Little and JillyMuffyn. They've realized they've bit off more than they can possibly chew, and are now hoping for a full-time TLC gig as an excuse to abandon their "mission" to come back to the States. 

I've said it before - I'd have more respect for them if they'd just give up the ghost, admit they'd taken on more than they could handle, and come home, rather than trying (and failing) to minister to the people of Guatemala with their half-assed Funfetti Fundamentalism that consists solely of manicures, face-painting, bad interpretive dance skits, and scary-ass Bible tracts in Spanish that they can't even read.

The only thing Derick managed to say in the entire clip that didn't sound stilted, tongue-tied, or forced was "Yo quiero" because...Taco Bell. 

No mas, por favor. 

This needs to be copywritten and the "Old Time Religion" thread needs to be rebranded to this. 

• Love 8

No mas, por favor. 

I doubt Taco Bell is in their milieu either, porque no Jesus Christo. 

Lo siento, but highlighting a pretty common French term brought into the conversation by Wellfleet, it made the Dullards' Spanish overall  illiteracy seem so....hilarante (okay, I googled that one). How do you say "money pit" in Espanol? Dinero something... (sorry, I don't know how to do the tilde!) 

My two years of HS Spanish and one semester of college Spanish (I was surprised they allowed me to take remedial again) are pretty much gone. I worked at a sports bar back in the late 80's/early 90's, and learned/forgot a lot of basic Spanish and the dialect of Chinese that the pizza guy spoke. Probably Mandarin, based on most Chinese in our area, but you never know!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

Exactly. And the longer this damnable show stays on the air, the worse it gets for everyone. Not only have the kids been completely deluded (deprived, abused, manipulated, suckered) by their parents but they've been additionally deluded and warped -- to a huge huge degree -- by being on tv. Having the show gives them money and, maybe even worse, fame -- which warps everybody -- that they never would have had in real life and it also requires them to manipulate most of what they say and do into tv-ready commentary or teaser material. The apparent "necessity" in their home for such self-editing is a terrible terrible lesson that's right up there in warping potential with a bunch of the Gothard stuff.

Amen! I hate to bring he who should not be named into this thread, but it was right after Josh and Anna got pregnant that I realized how horribly the show had messed with the children's ability to be any semblance of normal. It came when Josh had Anna go into a gas station bathroom to take a pregnancy test and then not only withhold the information from HER---but then get the camera's ready for everyone's reaction that I was like, "Oh they're screwed." 

• Love 7

Amen! I hate to bring he who should not be named into this thread, but it was right after Josh and Anna got pregnant that I realized how horribly the show had messed with the children's ability to be any semblance of normal. It came when Josh had Anna go into a gas station bathroom to take a pregnancy test and then not only withhold the information from HER---but then get the camera's ready for everyone's reaction that I was like, "Oh they're screwed."

Please tell me you made this up. I know you didn't but Lord, I wish this weren't true.

• Love 4

IIRC, Joshley made a big deal of coming up with the bright idea to call in the cameras. Nothing (special) in this family is private.

• Love 4

It wasn't a gas station restroom, but the rest of the story is basically as presented on the show.  It was a restroom at the used car lot Josh was running and allegedly Anna wanted Josh to be the one to check the test as she was tired of seeing negative results.

• Love 4

Please tell me you made this up. I know you didn't but Lord, I wish this weren't true.

Unfortunately, the Duggars are just something you can't make up if you try, because everything you make up they've actually done. But yes, this is how Anna's first pregnancy went...it was sickening!

• Love 2

It wasn't a gas station restroom, but the rest of the story is basically as presented on the show. It was a restroom at the used car lot Josh was running and allegedly Anna wanted Josh to be the one to check the test as she was tired of seeing negative results.

Right. Then he told her on camera that she'd joined the "mommy team." It was vomit inducing.

• Love 8

I will say, my husband, is who told me I was pregnant with my eldest daughter. After four miscarriages and a freak medical situation, when he announced to me that I was pregnant I wanted to tell him to jump out a window (3 stories high mind you). But he insisted he was right and went out to get the test himself (10 a night, the day after Christmas in Germany no less). It took me an hour to find the nerve to take it and I did flip it and walked out. Realizing I hadn't said anything he went back behind me to check and sure enough...our first living child, he told me about. But, he immediately told me---there was no waiting, no guessing. That is what I disliked---I could understand Anna maybe not wanting to see because I certainly didn't want that disappointment right then, but to not tell her? Blah!

Found it! 

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 1

I'm way behind on the Duggar's, I don't even think I watched any of the Jessa wedding and I know I didn't watch their honeymoon, so I'm sure this has been addressed 17 million times, but what is the deal with Derick's dental issues? Did he just decide to get braces or was there a medical reason behind it? I've seen it mentioned so many times, but I honestly didn't realize it's changed the whole shape of his face. 

Baby Israel is a doll baby, and I'm surprised to see so much red in his hair. 

I'm way behind on the Duggar's, I don't even think I watched any of the Jessa wedding and I know I didn't watch their honeymoon, so I'm sure this has been addressed 17 million times, but what is the deal with Derick's dental issues? Did he just decide to get braces or was there a medical reason behind it? I've seen it mentioned so many times, but I honestly didn't realize it's changed the whole shape of his face. 

Baby Israel is a doll baby, and I'm surprised to see so much red in his hair. 

The Dillards really haven't addressed it much, which makes everyone here talk about what it could be and probably is. They really should have made it more part of their story. Lots of questions re the timing of everything.

• Love 1

They both look great. Derick's hair is looking normal and Jill looks cute with her hair curled and her bow just like any other 13 year old. lol

I read the comments under motorcycle picture. It was taken in Nepal! They both looked so much better then!

• Love 6

This blind item reveal was posted today in Google Groups (alt.gossip.celebrities):

"This relation of a former hit A list reality family is living off kickbacks from a charity she is telling fans to contribute to."
-- Jill Duggar/Derick Dillard (donation page)

I doubt if this news will come as a shock to anyone here.

• Love 2

I just watched the show - how freakin stoopid are these two? They go into the orphanage, look around and declare that they'd like to adopt one of the kids, and maybe Jessa can have one too. Adoptions from Guatemala stopped in 2008. I get it that US people probably don't know that, as the rules change frequently for different countries. But if they are LIVING in Guatemala and supposedly connecting with people and visiting an orphanage, then they should have been able to figure that out pretty easily. Some of the kids at the orphanage are probably the ones who got caught up in the process when it was shut down. If they'd sat down and talked intelligently to the woman who runs the place, they would have known. But instead they run around like they are at the local SPCA. Did they dole out candy and soccer balls? I had to fast forward afterward as I was so annoyed, so I didn't see if they did that.

The only reason I watched this trainwreck is that my son is adopted from Guatemala and I love to see the scenery and people. I'd be willing to bet that all the hospitable and friendly looking people they film are probably doing it because it's a well-paid gig, and they are hiding whatever they feel about these two bozos. I think Jill and Derrick are the typical Americans, who probably seem very clueless and goofy to the locals. 

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 15

I'm surprised that they HAVEN'T talked to Mama Carmen. Remember, this is the orphanage that the local NWA coffee shop sends proceeds to. They've been affiliated with this place in some way for years and even featured that fundraising stint of "employment" on the show. 

• Love 2

Jill is wearing the necklace that Derick supposedly gave to her just moments before she was whisked off in a taxi back to the states. 

Oh wait, I think we can now confirm what we all suspected: that scene was staged. Totally  

• Love 9

Jill is wearing the necklace that Derick supposedly gave to her just moments before she was whisked off in a taxi back to the states. 

Oh wait, I think we can now confirm what we all suspected: that scene was staged. Totally  

I believe that all scenes are staged.  That is one reason they all seem so stilted (in addition to their limited language skills).  Staged and more than one "take".  As in "action" blah blah blah  "cut".

• Love 6

I believe that all scenes are staged. That is one reason they all seem so stilted (in addition to their limited language skills). Staged and more than one "take". As in "action" blah blah blah "cut".

I agree completely. Just compare the tone or flow (or whatever you would call the elements) to those in a documentary. Very sterile, dull, and boring, for the most part. Occasionally we get a rogue facial expression, but that's about it.

• Love 6

I agree completely. Just compare the tone or flow (or whatever you would call the elements) to those in a documentary. Very sterile, dull, and boring, for the most part. Occasionally we get a rogue facial expression, but that's about it.

And I still think JB is off camera monitoring as much as he can.  And calls for a retake if someone says something "off script" as in "jill I noticed you said "blabbedy blabbedy" and you know that isn't what we say.  Could you redo it and say "blah blah blah".  I know he can't be around for everything, such as the missioncation, but I do think as much as possible he is there on "high alert"

• Love 4

I believe that all scenes are staged.  That is one reason they all seem so stilted (in addition to their limited language skills).  Staged and more than one "take".  As in "action" blah blah blah  "cut".

I agree, the " show" is highly choreographed. The only thing I saw as unstaged were the Howlers running everywhere and jumping off everything; and the Lost Girls aimlessly looking, well, lost.

• Love 5

And I still think JB is off camera monitoring as much as he can.  And calls for a retake if someone says something "off script" as in "jill I noticed you said "blabbedy blabbedy" and you know that isn't what we say.  Could you redo it and say "blah blah blah".  I know he can't be around for everything, such as the missioncation, but I do think as much as possible he is there on "high alert"

I think they pair up with at least one accountability partner, and have a few things that they will and will not say, but I don't think JB is always there, and I don't think TLC would allow him that much control.

• Love 4

I think they pair up with at least one accountability partner, and have a few things that they will and will not say, but I don't think JB is always there, and I don't think TLC would allow him that much control.

That does sound more plausible than my thought.  But all tightly controlled as much as they can.

• Love 2

That does sound more plausible than my thought.  But all tightly controlled as much as they can.

Wonder if Boob is around when TLC decides what to put on the show. Does he get to view the show before it airs?