Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Me, too. ALthough I tend to retch first. Can't stand the sight of him. And the sound of his voice is even worse.

I envision Derick, Ben and Anna, some night maybe five years down the line, all crying into their pillows while they wail, "Why did I marry one of Jim Bob Duggar's children? Why why why???!!!!"

If Anna's not already doing that, she's straight-up divorced from reality.

• Love 10

If Anna was smart, she'd give Boob the middle finger, and serve Smugs with divorce papers.  As for Jill and Derick. I don't think they explained what Derick was doing in Nepal. The Duggar version of a missionary is nothing more than telling people how awesome they are.

• Love 4

If Anna was really smart, she'd play JimBob and Josh like a cheap preused fiddle, and get Josh to divorce her, and have JimBob continue to support her financially.

If Anna were really smart, she probably wouldn't be married to Josh Duggar in the first place. Just sayin'.

• Love 22

The third special, as a hook for a new show, of course. Can't wait for Jill to do exactly the same things she did on air a few months ago,all over again. Tonitown Hebrew Dillard, Gods favorite VBAC.

• Love 6

thanks for the "creative access" explanations, Churchhoney. It all sounds so familiar when you say it that way, like I had heard it in pulpit speeches from visiting missionaries.

I mean, I'm pretty sure they came with the credentials that the church had sponsored them for 15+ years and the missionaries were in fact embedded and spent the majority of their year in these countries, like the Poisonwood Bible, but you can surely see how the mollycoddle apronstring Duggars wouldn't let Jill, Izzy et al be embedded for years in anywhere as far-off as Nepal.

• Love 2

So, when does Jilly announce that she's pregnant? Isn't it about time for her next blessing to be on the way? I wonder if it will be announced on one of their Counting On episodes. The title "Counting On" indicates that Jill and Jessa will be pumping out more babies. And Iz was born on 19K&C so he doesn't "count" for the new show. Anyway, it's Jill's turn.

I am still so convinced she has been pregnant ever since that breakfast picture with the toast. I continue to hope I'm wrong, though.

• Love 5

I am still so convinced she has been pregnant ever since that breakfast picture with the toast. I continue to hope I'm wrong, though.

Well, who knows? But as I sit here enjoying my dry toast, I'll just say that not only pregnant people like it. (crunchy, not limp and greasy is my preference)

I'd also add that the Duggar girls are trained to be very weight conscious (all for the sake of the headship or the future headship, don't you know?). So I don't think it'd be surprising if Jill eats carefully when it comes to calories. They'd kinda have to do that for breakfast, too, since dinner tends to be stuff like chickenetti. ..... I remember Jessa saying that she ate just yogurt for breakfast, I think. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

I'm not really a breakfast person either, so I tend to eat lightly in the morning. I'm sure Jill is doing her best to conceive Izzy2.0, but don't know if she's been successful yet. Since she had a c-section and was never in shape to begin with, she'll probably be like Anna, where she retains a bit of a belly long after she's given birth.

thanks for the "creative access" explanations, Churchhoney. It all sounds so familiar when you say it that way, like I had heard it in pulpit speeches from visiting missionaries.

I mean, I'm pretty sure they came with the credentials that the church had sponsored them for 15+ years and the missionaries were in fact embedded and spent the majority of their year in these countries, like the Poisonwood Bible, but you can surely see how the mollycoddle apronstring Duggars wouldn't let Jill, Izzy et al be embedded for years in anywhere as far-off as Nepal.

I can't speak to other denominations, but Lutheran missionaries have a JOB to go to in their overseas assignments. I was a teacher in a middle school.  Some go as doctors or nurses or pastors.  No one simply arrives and begins to pass out tracts or preach on street corners.  Mostly they assist already established churches.  The missionaries are usually not supported by one congregation, but by the church as a whole via the mission board.   Therefore, I have a lot of trouble understanding just what the Dillards are doing and who is financially supporting them.

• Love 3

I can't speak to other denominations, but Lutheran missionaries have a JOB to go to in their overseas assignments. I was a teacher in a middle school.  Some go as doctors or nurses or pastors.  No one simply arrives and begins to pass out tracts or preach on street corners.  Mostly they assist already established churches.  The missionaries are usually not supported by one congregation, but by the church as a whole via the mission board.   Therefore, I have a lot of trouble understanding just what the Dillards are doing and who is financially supporting them.

Yeah, but this is the kind of mission that's pure conversion. It's all -- or mainly -- about talking up Christ. They're talking about pastor-types and fervent lay Christians who like to talk about their faith and draw people in. It is about passing out tracts and bibles. There are clearly two different visions of missionary work going on, and the stuff I was quoting from the Baptist and Methodist missionary boards was clearly describing a conversion mission, not a health-oriented or education-oriented mission or whatever.

In Nepal, it's likely that Derick was mainly supporting himself, although he probably got some pay from the local trekking company he seemed to be working for at least part time (and that IMB most likely helped him hook up with) and he may have gotten a few missionarying expenses (like tracts or bibles) or something reimbursed by the IMB (or not.) He was working, probably not spending much in a fairly low-cost country and may also have had money from his father's death benefits or something as well. He doesn't come from a poor family, either.

In Central America, it seems that they worked at least some of the time for that S.O.S. missioncation/voluntourism group that seems to be allied with Gothard. So they probably got some salary there -- and may still even be doing some things for that company and drawing some wages. And while I don't know where S.O.S. gets all its money, I assume that a lot of it comes from the many people who book missioncations with them. And then they asked for "love offerings" from their many fans, people at Cross Church, and, I'm sure, friends and neighbors and so on. So they have some cash there -- possibly pretty much of it. I'm sure they had TLC money left over, since they would have been getting paid on their own as soon as Jill got married and moved out, and they don't seem to have champagne tastes. And then as soon as a contract was signed for the TLC specials, there was more money there. .... That's a fair number of income streams, especially if you can fall back on Jim Bob and, probably, Derick's well-employed family too, if you run into trouble, I think.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

Strange none of these missionaries want to go and convert ISIS.

That's where the 'creative access' comes in - seriously. I do personally know a few missionaries who work with a college-based board, and when they've gone for summers to some Middle Eastern (Jordan, Syria several years ago, UAB, etc), some Asian (Vietnam, China and Nepal - like Derrick), or former Soviet countries that are still very restrictive on religion, they're not allowed to tell anyone where they've gone until they return. This is usually in restrictive Communist or Islamic (politically) countries. The secrecy is to protect the missionaries as well as the Christians within those countries, especially when Christianity is illegal. It's not a scam, it is for protection. 

Thank you. On Derrick's first trip to Nepal, not sure what his humanitarian work was, but I think that was on purpose to not 'blow his cover.' Probably teaching English or community development - which is a very broad definition of anything from teaching hygiene, to farming, to repairing homes. What he and Jill are doing now - who knows. It appears that they're seeking independent support on their own and just hanging out for a few months in random Latin American countries until the Visa run out and they come back to Arkansas. If they're doing something different, I'd like them to explain what that is.

• Love 7

That's where the 'creative access' comes in - seriously. I do personally know a few missionaries who work with a college-based board, and when they've gone for summers to some Middle Eastern (Jordan, Syria several years ago, UAB, etc), some Asian (Vietnam, China and Nepal - like Derrick), or former Soviet countries that are still very restrictive on religion, they're not allowed to tell anyone where they've gone until they return. This is usually in restrictive Communist or Islamic (politically) countries. The secrecy is to protect the missionaries as well as the Christians within those countries, especially when Christianity is illegal. It's not a scam, it is for protection. 

Thank you. On Derrick's first trip to Nepal, not sure what his humanitarian work was, but I think that was on purpose to not 'blow his cover.' Probably teaching English or community development - which is a very broad definition of anything from teaching hygiene, to farming, to repairing homes. What he and Jill are doing now - who knows. It appears that they're seeking independent support on their own and just hanging out for a few months in random Latin American countries until the Visa run out and they come back to Arkansas. If they're doing something different, I'd like them to explain what that is.

It really makes me think that Jill, much like her family, thinks that by just being, and spouting Gothard rules, they are showing those around them how Christian life should be done. I just can't fathom any meaningful discussions that Jill & Derrick could have with anyone. And they obviously aren't doing anything like building homes, fostering small business ownership, planting gardens, clean drinking water, etc. They even appear to be living in a established community that may not need such things.

I DON'T GET IT.

• Love 7

It really makes me think that Jill, much like her family, thinks that by just being, and spouting Gothard rules, they are showing those around them how Christian life should be done. I just can't fathom any meaningful discussions that Jill & Derrick could have with anyone. And they obviously aren't doing anything like building homes, fostering small business ownership, planting gardens, clean drinking water, etc. They even appear to be living in a established community that may not need such things.

I DON'T GET IT.

Well, but look at what the Methodist mission board says about "creative access" (and the Baptist board says similar things, but I'm too lazy to find it right now.) According to what they write below (which I quoted and gave the cite for above...too lazy to bring the cite down, too), the "Great Commission" is not "go and help poor people out of their poverty" or even "go and help poor people out of their poverty and in so doing convert them." It's clearly "go and help people who are poor in spirit because they don't have the gospel or don't have the right gospel -- give [our interpretation of] the Good News to everybody who doesn't have it." And, clearly, given the list of people the Methodist mission board describes here as doing this -- as well as what it indicates they'll be doing -- this in no way demands offering charity or economic development or whatever. It's very unlikely that any of the "creatively accessing" half-missionaries they mention below will be helping anybody out of poverty or whatever -- (particularly "internet contacts" -- uh, people you meet on forums?) They're there to give the Good News, period. So I think there's huge precedent for what the Dullards think they're doing in Latin America:

"While fulfilling the Great Commission in those countries can be challenging, it is not impossible. Closed to missionaries does not mean closed to the gospel. That's where the use of the phrase "creative access" comes in. Because the Good News spreads most easily through relationships, there are opportunities for evangelism in even the most difficult of circumstances. Relationships in which the gospel can be shared can be developed by:

Students from those countries who go to study in another country

Christian business people whose job has taken them to those countries

Teachers whose particular specialty is in demand in those countries

Christian students who go to those countries to study

Tourists who are able to develop contacts during brief trips to those countries

Internet contacts'

As long as the Dillards are paying their own way, and are bringing in foreign money to pay for those expenses, it's not going to be a problem.

Exactly. I glanced at a few sites about Guatemalan tourism and Guatemalan expat living. And it appears that getting at least the first few visa extensions is really easy. You just fill out the right forms, go to the right office, and make a one-day trip over the border to Mexico or whatever, and you've got another 90 days. Clearly the expats and the voluntourists and missioncationers are economy boosters. And I expect that, despite our outrage about their trying to convert Catholics, I expect that countries with a big Christian tradition (even if it's Catholic) aren't going to see them nearly as the kind of potential threat to culture and sovereignty that a mainly Islamic or Hindu or Buddhist nation understandably will.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Well, but look at what the Methodist mission board says about "creative access" (and the Baptist board says similar things, but I'm too lazy to find it right now.) According to what they write below (which I quoted and gave the cite for above...too lazy to bring the cite down, too), the "Great Commission" is not "go and help poor people out of their poverty" or even "go and help poor people out of their poverty and in so doing convert them." It's clearly "go and help people who are poor in spirit because they don't have the gospel or don't have the right gospel -- give [our interpretation of] the Good News to everybody who doesn't have it." And, clearly, given the list of people the Methodist mission board describes here as doing this -- as well as what it indicates they'll be doing -- this in no way demands offering charity or economic development or whatever. It's very unlikely that any of the "creatively accessing" half-missionaries they mention below will be helping anybody out of poverty or whatever -- (particularly "internet contacts" -- uh, people you meet on forums?) They're there to give the Good News, period. So I think there's huge precedent for what the Dullards think they're doing in Latin America:

"While fulfilling the Great Commission in those countries can be challenging, it is not impossible. Closed to missionaries does not mean closed to the gospel. That's where the use of the phrase "creative access" comes in. Because the Good News spreads most easily through relationships, there are opportunities for evangelism in even the most difficult of circumstances. Relationships in which the gospel can be shared can be developed by:

Students from those countries who go to study in another country

Christian business people whose job has taken them to those countries

Teachers whose particular specialty is in demand in those countries

Christian students who go to those countries to study

Tourists who are able to develop contacts during brief trips to those countries

Internet contacts'

Exactly. I glanced at a few sites about Guatemalan tourism and Guatemalan expat living. And it appears that getting at least the first few visa extensions is really easy. You just fill out the right forms, go to the right office, and make a one-day trip over the border to Mexico or whatever, and you've got another 90 days. Clearly the expats and the voluntourists and missioncationers are economy boosters. And I expect that, despite our outrage about their trying to convert Catholics, I expect that countries with a big Christian tradition (even if it's Catholic) aren't going to see them nearly as the kind of potential threat to culture and sovereignty that a mainly Islamic or Hindu or Buddhist nation understandably will.

So they're kind of like Converter Spies.  "Okay Jill you make nice and I'll nonchalantly get their email address. They won't even know what hit them."  Back at the villa Jill & Derrick send their cache of email addresses back home for the guy who then spams all their emails with Jesus tracts. 

Sounds like a worthy goal in life.

• Love 3

So they're kind of like Converter Spies.  "Okay Jill you make nice and I'll nonchalantly get their email address. They won't even know what hit them."  Back at the villa Jill & Derrick send their cache of email addresses back home for the guy who then spams all their emails with Jesus tracts. 

Sounds like a worthy goal in life.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that all these people are "converter spies." Great phrase! (Actually, though, I think I'd much rather have the ones who are internet contacts than the ones who follow me down the street or around the office or campus jawing at me about Jesus -- and I expec tthat Derick and Jill are much more the follow-on-the-street sorts.)

The thing is, though, at least some major churches support this strongly today -- And many more did in the past. And they -- and not just jill and Derick -- think it is not just just a worthy purpose in life but one of the very worthiest. If you truly think that both the world as a whole and the potential converts in particular will be not only helped but saved for all eternity by your jawing efforts -- and only by your jawing efforts, that literally nothing else can save them -- then you do believe that the jawing is extremely and uniquely valuable. (and worth lying for and seeking false "creative access" for)

It kind of drives me nuts that everybody seems to think this point of view is unique to Jill and Derick when it's clear that you have major church organizations believing the exact same thing. The Methodist missionary board considers tourists jawing about Jesus as missionaries who are integral to carrying out the Great Commission! So if we're going to blame Jill and Derick for doing something very jerky, I think we have to blame a lot of other people for doing the same thing.

And, honestly, I'm not really inclined to blame either the Dullards or the churches. I don't share their beliefs a bit. But if I did believe what they do, then I think the logical conclusion would be that I should greatly support people who go around the world and try to jaw people into having the right beliefs. And I don't even have any real grounds for thinking that Jill and Derick would do this stuff in a dumber or griftier way than the random tourists, students, business-people-abroad and internet contacts that the Methodists are counting on to carry out the Great Commission!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

Jill and Derrick's approach makes NO sense ! They do the whole face and nail painting thing, the comically bad, somewhat innocuous skits, the lazy, lazy "Imma maybe gonna talk to you about MY God, y'all..." walkabouts, but then resort to the bad, bad tracts that cannot possibly attract any newcomers. 

Maybe THAT'S their angle ? The longer they're there NOT converting people the longer they need to stay on their FunCation ? 

Hmmm...

Edited by bigskygirl
Part of post off topic
  • Love 9

Yesterday morning at 10:00 a.m. some enthusiastic Christians rang my doorbell and tried to hand off a tract that included a link to an "amazing online Bible" that I could have access to.  Being still in my pajamas and robe I was not thrilled and told them I already had my own Bible, thank you very much, and closed the door on them.  It's too bad I wasn't dressed--then I would have been curious enough to find out what kind of church they belonged to.

Do you supposed Derick and Jill go door to door in Guatemala?

ETA:  The front of the tract had a lovely picture of Jesus with light brown/blondish hair.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 2

ETA:  The front of the tract had a lovely picture of Jesus with light brown/blondish hair.

Yes, I've noticed that the more fundie people get, the more Scandinavian Jesus gets. I bet the Jesus in Jill and Derrick's tracts is probably pretty close to albino.

• Love 15

Yes, I've noticed that the more fundie people get, the more Scandinavian Jesus gets. I bet the Jesus in Jill and Derrick's tracts is probably pretty close to albino.

Lol, it reminds me of Mandy Moore in that movie Saved. "Jesus IS white!!!"

I wonder when Jill and Derick will give up the farce and head back to Arkansas. If the specials do well and TLC brings the family back as a regular series I have a feeling God will lay it on their hearts to follow the money train.

• Love 12

I wonder when Jill and Derick will give up the farce and head back to Arkansas. If the specials do well and TLC brings the family back as a regular series I have a feeling God will lay it on their hearts to follow the money train.

You know it! The money is their driving force.

• Love 2

Very true. But then Derick will have to look as though he has a manly job. I guess this is when he gets added to Boob's payroll, I suppose. If he's not already there.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

You know it! The money is their driving force.

You know, I'm just not sure of that. I really think it's probably one of their top two -- but I suspect that bringing tons of people to Christ in their boneheaded, innocent, childish way is probably in a tie with money. I think Jill really does feel "called" to be a midwife and a missionary and Derick to be a missionary. The fact that they'll probably not be good at either of those things or do them in ways any of us will approve of just reflects their general dimness and (unfortunately probably eternal) lack of meaningful experience, I think. And I would bet that they truly believe that the money they ask for will come from people who believe in conversion missions and that these people will get two dedicated conversion missionaries when they pay for Jill and Derick to go to Central America. Or become, you know, domestic missionaries when they come back to Arkansas to join the other Arkan-dashians (read this somewhere on here the other day and love it.).

Jim Bob and Michelle -- yeah, money is their only motivation. Well, that and having total control over everybody who comes within a mile of them. But I just don't see the evidence that these two are wholly mercenary. I think they have a lot of "innocent dumbhead" in them as well.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

Given the way Jill reacted to Derick's attempts at actually earning money, I'd say it is party about money. You can't be one of Jim Bob's kids and not be allergic to work.

Yeah, see I don't think that was really about work. I think it was about Jill not feeling whole without having another person -- and her mate, in particular -- sewn to her side 24 hours a day. That's pretty much what she's been taught about marriage and family. And taught subliminally as well as consciously. They're all together. All the time. And I know for a fact that growing up that way makes people see it as so natural that they don't even think twice about basically expecting it and demanding it. It's a very strong habit when you have it, so strong that you don't even realize it's a habit or that it's different from what anyone else does.

I don't think she understands that most people have to work to earn a living, because Jim Bob has seemed not to. But I don't know that she's truly allergic to work. She worked -- in her fashion -- at her midwife credential, and she has gone on helping out with the kids. I think that growing up TLC (and Duggar grifter) has deluded her into thinking that money's easier to come by than it is.

• Love 10

Jill is actually one of my least favorite Duggars. She reminds me too much of her dad. But to stick up for her, I think she is one of the harder working Duggar children. As evidence she is one of the few that had an actual goal-midwife. She also seemed to be quite serious about taking care of her siblings. She seemed to do a lot around the house and did not seem resentful of it. I think if she grew up in a normal household she would have been one of the first children to have a job and even enjoy it.

I think Jill is a person who actually likes having something to do and being busy.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 7

The thing is, though, at least some major churches support this strongly today -- And many more did in the past. And they -- and not just jill and Derick -- think it is not just just a worthy purpose in life but one of the very worthiest. If you truly think that both the world as a whole and the potential converts in particular will be not only helped but saved for all eternity by your jawing efforts -- and only by your jawing efforts, that literally nothing else can save them -- then you do believe that the jawing is extremely and uniquely valuable. (and worth lying for and seeking false "creative access" for)

For the jawing, I think you probably want Jesus' "parable of the sower" (which you and I suspect several others, will already have seen):

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+13

When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”

You've probably also heard the speech about not knowing when your jawing, er, "testimony", will bear fruit; and stories about stubborn heathens who had a deathbed repentance after 60 years of publicly thumbing their nose at God, and 60 years after you've done the sowing/jawing.

• Love 2
And, honestly, I'm not really inclined to blame either the Dullards or the churches. I don't share their beliefs a bit. But if I did believe what they do, then I think the logical conclusion would be that I should greatly support people who go around the world and try to jaw people into having the right beliefs. And I don't even have any real grounds for thinking that Jill and Derick would do this stuff in a dumber or griftier way than the random tourists, students, business-people-abroad and internet contacts that the Methodists are counting on to carry out the Great Commission!

Thank you! The only people who understand this are people who have lived in the fundy world. The best analogy that I can think of is that to them, "witnessing" is just as necessary as it is for one of us to warn a person when we know they're about to walk into a huge hole, or a land mine. The fact that they actually take it seriously makes them less hypocritical than many fundies, who firmly believe most of the world is headed for hell and yet don't lift a finger to try to convert them and save them from eternal agony. (I personally am acquainted with quite a few such fundies.) Yes, I am defending the Duggars, although I am loathe to do so.

I love that movie! And again I find myself coming to the defense of people I dislike. I think Jill and Derick really do believe they're "called" to be missionaries. I remember how deepy affected Jill seemed in the episode when they went to Central America as a family, and it was touching how she seemed to have genuine concern and affection for the people. I think it goes beyond money for them, not that I'm suggesting they don't want to make money. I'm sure they do!

• Love 9

I DON'T GET IT.

They're hiding from the press/process servers. It's as simple as that. They were hoping that TLC would subsidize their "mission work", AKA permanent Central American vacation, but that remains to be seen. If they were really trying to "learn Spanish", why not move to a border state in the US or Los Angeles and work with the underprivileged? This would offer a great chance to practice that newly-acquired Spanish. Of course, they'd also be within a few hour plane ride of Tontitown and easily located by press and process servers, so that's out.

If they were really interested in mission work, they would fulfill the requirements of the org that the church they claim to attend have for missionaries and apply for consideration. It's yet another example of the Duggar family believing that the rules are for everyone else but them, or watching someone else do something for half an hour and knowing enough on the subject to do it themselves.

Having said that, I wonder if they will be sneaking back into the USA for a few days around Christmas. Jilly Muffin can't miss Christmas at home, can she?

• Love 10

So Jilly Muffin, who has benefitted from the charity of others for the roof over her head, help for her overwhelmed mother and food on her table, only believes in osmosis type of misson? What a flexible way of looking at things. Maybe they avoid transparency by having donations shipped 'overseas'? Who said they weren't creative?

• Love 5

Having said that, I wonder if they will be sneaking back into the USA for a few days around Christmas. Jilly Muffin can't miss Christmas at home, can she?

Brace yourselves for a lot of 'Feliz Navidad!' arrogance. Don't the Duggars usually go to Central America around Christmas? Jill will meet up with hem at the SOS camp and fly back home for the holidays - and the last episode of Counting On, and desperately hoping the new show is picked up.

• Love 4

They're hiding from the press/process servers. It's as simple as that. They were hoping that TLC would subsidize their "mission work", AKA permanent Central American vacation, but that remains to be seen. If they were really trying to "learn Spanish", why not move to a border state in the US or Los Angeles and work with the underprivileged? This would offer a great chance to practice that newly-acquired Spanish. Of course, they'd also be within a few hour plane ride of Tontitown and easily located by press and process servers, so that's out.

If they were really interested in mission work, they would fulfill the requirements of the org that the church they claim to attend have for missionaries and apply for consideration. It's yet another example of the Duggar family believing that the rules are for everyone else but them, or watching someone else do something for half an hour and knowing enough on the subject to do it themselves.

This a 1,00 times! Boob probably came up withthe plan for saving their "brand" and to keep Jill for being served so we can't talk about the family secrets.

If they were really interested in mission work, they would fulfill the requirements of the org that the church they claim to attend have for missionaries and apply for consideration.

Maybe. But as I understand it, that would take getting virtually an entire second bachelor's degree for Derick --- since I gather he has no Bible or theology studies at all in his first degree -- and maybe a couple of years worth of college study for Jill, but not really at the freshman general-ed or associate's degree level -- at more like a college electives level. (and Jill would certainly have to do a fair amount of studying before she could even start the courses she needs.) Even if they were trying to do that now, it'd take years to accomplish. And even with those basic credentials that would/will take years to get, they'd still be in competition with others who have graduate degrees and so on. And all those people are competing for support from the IMB, which has not been doing brilliantly moneywise of late. I think many (many) more people than just the Dullards would opt to sign up with S.O.S. as temps, if they got the chance, either instead of going that long route or until they got that long route accomplished. Becoming an official missionary with the support of a major denomination is a lot easier said than done, especially with an organization that requires both members of the couple to qualify academically.

• Love 4

I'd love for the Dillard's funding to dry up to the point that they either have to move back to the States and give up, or approach a real missionary entity for funding. 

If they try to become a legitimate missionary couple, I wouldn't mind them having their initial classes paid for.  Derick would probably do well, but Jill would be in a world of hurt, as she would test out to junior high levels in her education.  Getting her up to speed would slow them down, and her refusing to use birth control would also become a problem, as not many churches want to support massive families out of country when a smaller family is right there, or an older couple who's kids are already grown.

On another tangent:  I wonder why Derick chose to glom onto the Duggars.  Did he unconsciously resent that his dad went out every day and put his life on the line to protect and to serve, while his mother worked her way up through Walmart to a power position?  She had to have her kids in daycare, afterschool programs, etc, in order to do that, and at some point also outearned her husband.  Then Dericks dad died at a relatively young age from a heart problem while Derick is trying to become the first son to follow in his fathers footsteps by becoming the second generation to hold the position of mascot for his dads college football team.  And his mother remarries during that time. 

It wouldn't have been that way if the family were following Gothard's rules.  His dad would have been the man in charge, and his mom would have been home all the time.  If Derick felt that the stress of his fathers job contributed to his death, maybe Derick thought that trimming trees for a living would have kept his father alive.  I don't know if Derick realizes that he probably wouldn't have gone to college under those circumstances, or wishes he'd never gone at all.  Maybe his private dream is that he grew up in a family where mom stayed home, dad went to work, and when he grew old enough, Derick would join his dad as a partner.

Since that didn't happen, maybe Derick is trying to get to that dream by hooking up with JB, marrying one of his daughters, and trying to create the life that Derick wished he'd had.

• Love 3

I'd love for the Dillard's funding to dry up to the point that they either have to move back to the States and give up, or approach a real missionary entity for funding. 

I think they know better than to try to approach a legitimate organization.  As clueless as they are in so many ways, I don't think Derrick is that delusional.  Jill may still believe that their "celebrity" can open doors, but I think Derrick knows better.  Maybe.   

And I also think that every other member of the family is so completely programmed to cut corners, take shortcuts and basically half-ass every single thing in their lives that the concept of entering the structured program necessary to become REAL missionaries is unfathomable to them.     

• Love 8

And I also think that every other member of the family is so completely programmed to cut corners, take shortcuts and basically half-ass every single thing in their lives that the concept of entering the structured program necessary to become REAL missionaries is unfathomable to them.

It's subconscious, but despite the arrogance, I think they are all aware they'll fall flat on the faces if they try anything truly difficult. They don't handle being around anyone with the slightest sophistication well.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 8

If they try to become a legitimate missionary couple, I wouldn't mind them having their initial classes paid for.  Derick would probably do well, but Jill would be in a world of hurt, as she would test out to junior high levels in her education.  Getting her up to speed would slow them down, and her refusing to use birth control would also become a problem, as not many churches want to support massive families out of country when a smaller family is right there, or an older couple who's kids are already grown.

On another tangent:  I wonder why Derick chose to glom onto the Duggars.  Did he unconsciously resent that his dad went out every day and put his life on the line to protect and to serve, while his mother worked her way up through Walmart to a power position?  She had to have her kids in daycare, afterschool programs, etc, in order to do that, and at some point also outearned her husband.  Then Dericks dad died at a relatively young age from a heart problem while Derick is trying to become the first son to follow in his fathers footsteps by becoming the second generation to hold the position of mascot for his dads college football team.  And his mother remarries during that time. 

It wouldn't have been that way if the family were following Gothard's rules.  His dad would have been the man in charge, and his mom would have been home all the time.  If Derick felt that the stress of his fathers job contributed to his death, maybe Derick thought that trimming trees for a living would have kept his father alive.  I don't know if Derick realizes that he probably wouldn't have gone to college under those circumstances, or wishes he'd never gone at all.  Maybe his private dream is that he grew up in a family where mom stayed home, dad went to work, and when he grew old enough, Derick would join his dad as a partner.

Since that didn't happen, maybe Derick is trying to get to that dream by hooking up with JB, marrying one of his daughters, and trying to create the life that Derick wished he'd had.

I don't think it's that complicated (or that Derrick is that complicated). I think Derrick likes attention and is a fame whore. People who seriously don't want to be in the spotlight don't go out to be their university's mascot; they don't become prayer buddies with a reality TV star & then want to date reality star's daughter.
  • Love 13