Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

I know a plastic surgeon who spends a month out of his year traveling to third world countries to repair cleft palates and other disfigurements in poor children. He volunteers through a non-profit. I'm having a tough time seeing the Dullards in the same category as people like him. Of course not everyone is a doctor, but the Dullards are able bodied. Derick can't work some sort of labor job? Jill can't volunteer full time at the orphanage and help with laundry, meals and cleaning? There's plenty of things they can do that don't require fluency in Spanish.

But they are Duggars.

Maybe they could periodically fly in Jana and JD for a week or so. They work. And are put to use by pretty much everyone in the family on a daily basis, it seems. Jill and Derick could lend them to the local nonprofits.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

I have no doubt that Jill considered that having to use real cheese, instead of velveeta, in the chickenetti was in fact "slumming it".

I'd rather they just paid locals to do any labor.

She needs some cheese to go along with her whine.

• Love 1

Also this gem from their blog update

"Praises:

-We were able to meet new neighbors and another young family at church. It has been a joy to visit with these families since they also have little kids and know the area better than us.

-Derick was able to be apart of a men’s bible study and prayer time with our church.

-Good conversations with my Spanish teacher and her family.

-Derick was able to find a dentist who could fix an orthodontic piece that broke off.

-We have been able to pass out a bunch of gospel tracts in the local area as we are out in the community."

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 6

"Praises:

-We were able to meet new neighbors and another young family at church. It has been a joy to visit with these families since they also have little kids and know the area better than us.

-Derick was able to be apart of a men’s bible study and prayer time with our church.

-Derick was able to find a dentist who could fix an orthodontic piece that broke off.

-We have been able to pass out a bunch of gospel tracts in the local area as we are out in the community."

They really are selling that living in a foreign country doing ordinary things, except work, as a mission worthy of donations. There are people who live in the US who spend more time volunteering locally and have full time jobs to support themselves.

• Love 14

BrianJ62 is Catholic Strong, albeit a little lapsed.

Me too! I can't get over how Gothard survives in this day and age.

Going to a Catholic county to preach being a Christian is the biggest scam. Sadly, the brainwashed Jill and her equally brainwashed husband don't understand that reading the bible and putting on plays is not all there is to being a real Christian, etc. They make my head hurt.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 6

I think ATI and all the other Gothard things started not being able to gain more members with the rise of the internet. Pre-google, it could be somewhat forgivable to be sucked into a group like this. Now? Your religious friend is telling you all about this awesome institute? You google it before you go to a meeting. This might not be done as much in the third world - Jill and Derrick's targets. The first page of hit is all abuse, weird sex scandals, etc. No thanks, I won't be going. They're just living off stored fat of the good years. Plus, it's created an entire generation of, well, idiots. It can't go on much (10-20 years) longer.

• Love 10

Going to a Catholic county to preach being a Christian is the biggest scam. Sadly, the brainwashed Jill and her equally brainwashed husband don't understand that reading the bible and putting on plays is not all there is to being a real Christian, etc. They make my head hurt.

I worked in Yemen for 2 years, these guys where hardcore Muslims and not once did they preach and/or try to convert me.

• Love 9

These chuckleheads have a hell of a lot of nerve accepting/squandering donations and calling themselves missionaries. I'm sorry, but it really grinds my gears seeing  their homely faces with those ridiculous grins posing for pictures to plaster all over social media. They are on nothing more than a glorified vacation.

The Operation Christmas Child boxes the hubby and I packed will probably do more good than whatever the hell these idiots think they are accomplishing.I believe I mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. Too bad my hubby and I are only lowly RNs and not "celebrities".....we had to shop on a budget. I apologize if I sound bitchy, but I've had a long, lousy day at work and venting about these fools makes me feel better.

Edited by DixonVixen2359
  • Love 11

BrianJ62 is Catholic Strong, albeit a little lapsed.

I'm a LOT lapsed, but will not put up with the likes of the Duggars putting Catholics down. Still my tribe.

But it is little things like this, the anti Catholicism, the kissing pictures, which led to gay kissing pictures, which led to Josh 1.0. 

These are the things ultimately bringing them down.

They really are selling that living in a foreign country doing ordinary things, except work, as a mission worthy of donations. There are people who live in the US who spend more time volunteering locally and have full time jobs to support themselves.

They passed out tracts. LOL.

• Love 7

Jill and Jessa will forever be comparing their two boys. Mine weighed more at 7 months! Mine crawled at 5 months!! Mine was baptized at 10!! Mine gave child sermons at basement church at 12!!! Mine was more pure and more virgin and didn't hold hands till 2 weeks of marriage!!!!

Yep, very true. The Duggars don't really do anything of substance. Their kids will be the only accomplishments they'll ever have than they CAN brag on. Well, hopefully they'll be able to brag. I don't imagine Boob & Me-chelle have been bragging on Josh too much in the last 6 or so months. Or ever will be able to again.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

These chuckleheads have a hell of a lot of nerve accepting/squandering donations and calling themselves missionaries. I'm sorry, but it really grinds my gears seeing their homely faces with those ridiculous grins posing for pictures to plaster all over social media. They are on nothing more than a glorified vacation.

You and me both. Interesting how Jill posts everything on social media, yet there are no pictures of them actually doing anything. When the Dullards went to the orphanage, Jill used the verb "visiting" in the Instagram caption, not "working."

They're basically just living their normal Arkansas lifestyle in Central America. On other peoples' dime, that is.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8

It seems when people and/or groups start spewing venom against other people(s) it's from a position of weakness and not a position of strength.

Absolutely, although I would say it's probably more from a position of fear than of weakness. Fear does make any group weaker however though. When a group - or an individual for that matter - is secure and confident in their beliefs, there's no need to fear or ridicule a different point of view. Thoughtful, intelligent MATURE people can disagree and debate different issues - without dislike or hatred coming into the mix.

• Love 2

Do they have a Wal-Mart there?

Actually, they do. Just did some Googling and there are several Wal-Marts in Guatemala, including Super Centers. They also have chains that are similar to Target and Costco and they're all within driving distance from Antigua. The Dullards are not roughing it by any means.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

Just giving the money they are spending to be in Central America to a local charity there would be of tremendously more help than what they are doing.

But then derickdillardduggar would actually have to get a JOB and support his family, which is unacceptable. Plus, if they're in the US, they can be required to testify in Josh's upcoming lawsuit. I'm wondering what the rules are as far as being subpoenaed outside of the US.

I'm also curious to know why derickdillardduggar thinks he's not responsible for the unpleasant or difficult things that come along with marriage and fatherhood, like settling down, earning money instead of grifting it, and dealing with his in-laws. As you've mentioned, the cash they are forking out would be much more useful to those they're "ministering" to. Then again, he can't run away from the problems with his in-laws if he stays in the US.

• Love 3

I like the use of "was able to". It gives the whole thing an air of overcoming difficult obstacles. I didn't just go for a visit, I was able to after much hardship and toil. I didn't just hand out a few bits of paper to random passersby, I HAD TO FIGHT DRAGONS TO DO IT. Methinks Jill is a bit of a drama queen.

• Love 14

I like the use of "was able to". It gives the whole thing an air of overcoming difficult obstacles. I didn't just go for a visit, I was able to after much hardship and toil. I didn't just hand out a few bits of paper to random passersby, I HAD TO FIGHT DRAGONS TO DO IT. Methinks Jill is a bit of a drama queen.

It's hard out here for a ministry.

• Love 9

I was just about to commend Jill and Derick for eating better as of late, but then they go and post a recipe for Chicken-Etti... Gross. 

"Praises:

There you have it. Jill probably had to think long and hard to come up with those bullet points, too. It's extra telling that the Dullards have taken a lot of heat for the misuse of donations and those were STILL the most productive things she could think of. As if everyone is all "Oh, I thought they were just grifting, but look here. Jill had a really nice conversation with her Spanish teacher. I can't tell you how moved I am by the difference they are making in the world." God, the stupid burns.

• Love 15

jillmdillardThis verse stood out to me today in my quiet time. I was reminded to trust the Lord and by his steadfast love he will keep you where he wants you. #psalm217

Her "quiet time?" What on Earth does she do all day that she needs special "quiet time."

"Quiet Time" is a phrase for time set aside to pray and read your Bible.

I call it Quiet Time also.

Also called "scripture reading" "devotions"

• Love 4

Does anybody know about this church they are attending?  Is it basically an American church full of fundies like themselves or is it a church of Guatemalan evangelicals?

So far, all I see is an American family living in Guatemala.  Maybe we'll see them on House Hunters International looking for an apartment (you know, near the beach, near all the shops and restaurants, two bathrooms, modern kitchen, view, for $600 a month).

• Love 7

Does anybody know about this church they are attending?  Is it basically an American church full of fundies like themselves or is it a church of Guatemalan evangelicals?

So far, all I see is an American family living in Guatemala.  Maybe we'll see them on House Hunters International looking for an apartment (you know, near the beach, near all the shops and restaurants, two bathrooms, modern kitchen, view, for $600 a month).

"Well, we would have to upgrade to marble countertops. "

• Love 6

Judging by her total lack of interest in her own appearance - clothing, hair, grooming? I don't see Jilly Muffin as giving two craps about what her home looks like. She may not even really notice.

True. It's one of the things I actually like about her.

That was my kneejerk reaction to House Hunters, which drives me nuts.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

Well, she sure didn't have any for Josh.

Wow, her wonderful husband took two whole minutes to dump things in a bowl.  Que Rico! ("Huh?" - Derrick)

Yes, now Derick can add "breakfast-making" to his LinkedIn profile's list of "Other Skills." He probably can't list auto mechanic or home-gardener, although these could be highly-useful skills in missionary work. But will shamelessly - and inaccurately - add "Experienced Breakfast Chef" to his online resume.

• Love 8

Yes, now Derick can add "breakfast-making" to his LinkedIn profile's list of "Other Skills." He probably can't list auto mechanic or home-gardener, although these could be highly-useful skills in missionary work. But will shamelessly - and inaccurately - add "Experienced Breakfast Chef" to his online resume.

Maybe they are going to open up a B&B "overseas".

• Love 3

I think ATI and all the other Gothard things started not being able to gain more members with the rise of the internet. Pre-google, it could be somewhat forgivable to be sucked into a group like this. Now? Your religious friend is telling you all about this awesome institute? You google it before you go to a meeting. This might not be done as much in the third world - Jill and Derrick's targets. The first page of hit is all abuse, weird sex scandals, etc. No thanks, I won't be going. They're just living off stored fat of the good years. Plus, it's created an entire generation of, well, idiots. It can't go on much (10-20 years) longer.

A well-organized cult knows how to get its own and pro-group sites at the top of a search. I don't know how well Gothard does with SEO, but I've seen other groups that do it very well. 

• Love 1

I keep thinking we were all so hopeful that Derek was going to change Jill & bring her over to the "normal" side when they married. We were excited thinking Cathy, Derek's mom, would give Jill a makeover or at least point her in the right direction where clothes & makeup were involved & be a mother figure to her since her real mom had checked out. For a moment, we thought Derek (&Cathy) would encourage Jill to get a job outside the home as whatever type of midwife she is. And maybe, just maybe, having a child wouldn't happen as quickly as it did.

Fast forward almost two years, we now have two unemployed people with child living out of the country on other's dimes. Definitely not what we expected or hoped.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 16

I keep thinking we were all so hopeful that Derek was going to change Jill & bring her over to the "normal" side when they married. We were excited thinking Cathy, Derek's mom, would give Jill a makeover or at least point her in the right direction where clothes & makeup were involved & be a mother figure to her since her real mom had checked out. For a moment, we thought Derek (&Cathy) would encourage Jill to get a job outside the home as whatever type of midwife she is. And maybe, just maybe, having a child wouldn't happen as quickly as it did.

Fast forward almost two years, we now have two unemployed people with child living out of the country on other's dimes. Definitely not what we expected or hoped.

Derrick theme song is Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" (and chicks for free). .

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 3

Jill went from 13 year old girl to high-riding bitch the instant she got married. Its like she's afraid to change at all, and had to program Derick not to stray. She won't even let him finish sentences when it's something she agrees with, for cryin' out loud!

• Love 5

I for one underestimated the power of the total immersion Duggar/GotHard upbringing of Jill and her siblings, living literally 24/7/365 in that herd. And I overlooked JB's canny choice of Derick, who's been anything but a strong independent "headship" in his marriage to Jill. The most he's managed is to drag her physically away from Arkansas for, so far, two brief missioncations in Central America. 

I just looked at a list of the Duggar kids' birthdates. JB and Michelle now have nine kids who are age 18 or older. Legal adults. All of them still thoroughly enmeshed in their family of origin. There's nothing like all that lovely TLC money to keep a family together.

I don't like what I've seen of Jill and I don't much care for what I've seen of any of the other over-18 Duggar kids. I'm now convinced that none of them is going to Break Duggar anytime in the near future. And of all the bunch, Jill's IMO the least likely. 

And sadly, Jill & Derrick probably think they are the cream of the Duggar crop. In their minds it is likely more like, "Pfft, 2 weeks overseas, how about a year!"

• Love 1

Once in a while I see a link to another big family, ultra religious site.  I can't think of any that seem to launch their older kids.  There is still total involvement in the parent/adult child lives, and jobs that cater to the original family plan.  They seem to be most often hawking religious study courses, books, readings, and so on.  I don't see signs of the adult kids having secular jobs.  Odd.  Very odd.

• Love 8

Once in a while I see a link to another big family, ultra religious site.  I can't think of any that seem to launch their older kids.  There is still total involvement in the parent/adult child lives, and jobs that cater to the original family plan.  They seem to be most often hawking religious study courses, books, readings, and so on.  I don't see signs of the adult kids having secular jobs.  Odd.  Very odd.

I have posted about this, and I think others have, too. This is part of the plan -- it's called Biblical economics. The idea is that the entire family works at some enterprise -- a reality show, study courses, a towing business, whatever -- and the headship controls that enterprise.

I think that this is 100% JB's plan. The original plan centered around the show, but now it is the "house flipping" business. The sons and sons-in-law will handle the manual labor. Jill will birth the babies, Jessa will do the school-marm'n, Jana will do the child rearing, and so on.

I could be completely wrong,  but I see this entire thing falling apart very quickly. JB will be able to keep it together for a few years since none of his children has any education or marketable skills, but it's pretty clear that no one else is buying in. Josh took off at the first opportunity, JD has outside employment, Derick took his family and fled the country, and even Ben, who is the most economically dependent, is talking about going to school outside of Arkansas.

There are a lot of flaws in the Biblical economics model (IMO), but one of the major flaws is that the Duggars don't appear to be a close family. The kids don't seem to like each other all that much. A little sibling rivalry among young children may make a reality show a little more interesting, but watching an adult Jessa who can barely conceal her contempt for her sister, brother-in-law, and infant nephew, is not.

I genuinely hope that Jill and Derick are gone for a good, long, time. It's the only way that Jill will ever even begin to comprehend how disfunctional her family is. That's also why I don't think that they will ever be gone for more than a few months, and while they're away there will be an almost constant stream of visitors.

• Love 16

The Bates family seem to straddle both. They appear to be a close family, yet the oldest boy seems to be independent. Two of the three in-law boys work with their own families and one doesn't. I know they are Gothardized, but they do seem a bit more emotionally healthy than the Duggars. I just don't see Jill cutting the apron strings, well more like the daddy tie, anytime soon.

• Love 2

The Bates family seem to straddle both. They appear to be a close family, yet the oldest boy seems to be independent. Two of the three in-law boys work with their own families and one doesn't. I know they are Gothardized, but they do seem a bit more emotionally healthy than the Duggars. I just don't see Jill cutting the apron strings, well more like the daddy tie, anytime soon.

I think that Jill is the most vested in the family and the lifestyle. I think it was GEML who pointed out that she desperately craves the affection that J'chelle is either unwilling or unable to offer her children. I think that Jill will come back again and again even though no one seems to really notice that she has left, or seems to care when she returns (except her buddies). As I said above, I think that the family is already beginning to fracture, and I don't see that stopping. The adult children show no signs of wanting to stay, and there are 10 kids still under the age of 18 who (I believe) have been severely emotionally neglected and who may well have serious issues as they reach their teenage years.

Even though the close-knit, loving, Christian family that Jill keeps trying to cling to never really existed, I agree that she will keep clinging to that belief as long as she can.

• Love 11

I think Jill is the least liked out of all the siblings. Even Jana admitted she was a snitch growing up, even though she phrased it more kindly than Josh. I also remember the scene where Jinger picked up the Littles from the McMansion and didn't even set foot inside the door. When Jana came over to cook Nepalese food, she and Jill could barely keep a conversation going. I don't think Jill has been missed too much around the TTH.

• Love 18

I think Jill is the least liked out of all the siblings. Even Jana admitted she was a snitch growing up, even though she phrased it more kindly than Josh. I also remember the scene where Jinger picked up the Littles from the McMansion and didn't even set foot inside the door. When Jana came over to cook Nepalese food, she and Jill could barely keep a conversation going. I don't think Jill has been missed too much around the TTH.

I think you're right... almost. She was Jennifer's mom, and Jenny seemed to think that Jill hung the moon, but I think Jennifer is a lot like Jill. Whether that's caused by nature or by nurture, I'm not sure. Like you, Bitter Apple, I think a few of them are glad she's gone and the rest of them don't care one way or the other.

• Love 6