Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

It also seems that some guests wore peach ribbons pinned to their lapels. According to this site (sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink): http://awarenessribbongifts.com/awareness-ribbon-colors/ the peach ribbon signifies either endometrial or uterine cancer. I'm sure this was done in solidarity for Cathy. Derick also wore a peach tie, the only man in the bridal party to do so. I wondered why Mullet didn't go with soft peach for her dress, but knowing this about the ribbons, I can see why she chose to just match up with Boob and go with the Duct Tape dress instead.

I wonder if it is why Jill incorporated the Peach into her color scheme.  I'm a uterine cancer survivor...14 years 2 months and counting so I'm very hopeful for Cathy's recovery.

Oh my, duct tape is hilarious.  Kelly Bates wore that dress well though and I think it was the shorter version.

• Love 1
(edited)

abseedee, continued good health! :)

Yes, Kelly wore the shorter version...soooo much better!

I forgot to mention that in my original post, but I'm sure that Jill incorporated peach into her colors because of Cathy. I remember seeing a pic of Derick's brother (whose name escapes me at the moment) with Cathy likely getting her port put in at the hospital (she was bandaged in that area...it could be seen due to the cut of her shirt). This was easily 3 months ago now; her diagnosis probably came a month before that, since it takes a little time to get a treatment plan put together. She may well have been diagnosed in that scene where Derick is getting ready to propose.

I wish her a speedy and full recovery.

Edited by Sew Sumi

I forgot to mention that in my original post, but I'm sure that Jill incorporated peach into her colors because of Cathy. I remember seeing a pic of Derick's brother (whose name escapes me at the moment) with Cathy likely getting her port put in at the hospital (she was bandaged in that area...it could be seen due to the cut of her shirt). This was easily 3 months ago now; her diagnosis probably came a month before that, since it takes a little time to get a treatment plan put together. She may well have been diagnosed in that scene where Derick is getting ready to propose.

I wish her a speedy and full recovery.

Hmm, that's a very astute observation. There was a rumor a while back that she got sick earlier this year right around the time that Derick was coming back from Nepal. This is just pure speculation but could this be what prompted the mother-son trip to Israel where he bought Jill's engagement ring? From the comments that Cathy made in a video, I got the sense that their Israel trip was kind of a last minute, spur-of-the-moment deal. I too wish Cathy and full and speedy recovery and hope she has many, many years of being a mother-in-law and a good influence to Jill. 

Apparently one of the Bates girls is courting one of the Dauer's kinda sort of relatives. I'm bored and nosey and looked at Cooper's FB. He's posted one of the pics of the Bates visit to San Francisco, him, Lawson, and Carlin. In the comments it says a Bates daughter is courting Cooper's sister's brother in law (confusing enough?). No idea if this is Michael or not, but it's very interesting this family has enmeshed themselves with both the Bates and Duggar families to the point where Marci Dauer took about a thousand pictures at Jill's wedding. 

The peach and mint might have been chosen to honor Derick's mom, but I would have expected him to wear a peach tie while the groomsmen didn't. It's just like the groom wearing a white bow tie with his tux while the rest wear black or the same color of the bridesmaid dresses. 

I wonder if it is why Jill incorporated the Peach into her color scheme.  I'm a uterine cancer survivor...14 years 2 months and counting so I'm very hopeful for Cathy's recovery.

Oh my, duct tape is hilarious.  Kelly Bates wore that dress well though and I think it was the shorter version.

Congrats on your 14 years and 2 months.  {{{HUGS}}}   I hope Cathy has a long and healthy life to spend with Derrick and her other son.

Very quickly regarding the Dauers' and the Bateses' connection: the guy Michael Bates is courting, Brandon Kielen, has an older brother who is married to Cooper Dauer's oldest sister. Hence, she will be Michael Bates' SIL when Michael marries Brandon. As seen in the pics, the Dauers are total Duggar sychopants (down to wearing the peach ribbons), so I'm sure Marci is doing everything she can to shove Cooper towards an eligible Duggar daughter. Of course, as we saw with Derick and BinBob, the decision really rests with Boob.

I do thank her for the wealth of pictures, though! Quite illuminating. :D

Omg. That dress is so very much worse than I thought it would be. Like a sausage wrapped in tinfoil. J'chelle has this totally knockout bff with grace and style. Why couldn't Cindy help. Friends do not let friends dress like sausages in tinfoil. She was probably pretty cooked through by the time they got back to the house.

I have to confess, I have spent some time (waaaay too much time) studying the pics. I think Jill wore white flip flops.

It looks like Marci Dauer has taken down the pictures directly relating to the main reception (or any Duggars) on her FB, but those pictures are now posted in so many other places that it doesn't really matter anymore. She kept up pictures of her son mingling at the Duggar compound after-party. Maybe TLC didn't film that and the rules that she herself posted regarding filming/posting on social media didn't apply to that reception (ie. TLC didn't film that)?

(edited)

I know their reception had cheap food and drinks but I'm sure it still costs lot of money for 1,000 guests right? How much do you think it cost? 5-10,000 or more? 

Edited by dreadre

It looks like Marci Dauer has taken down the pictures directly relating to the main reception (or any Duggars) on her FB, but those pictures are now posted in so many other places that it doesn't really matter anymore. She kept up pictures of her son mingling at the Duggar compound after-party. Maybe TLC didn't film that and the rules that she herself posted regarding filming/posting on social media didn't apply to that reception (ie. TLC didn't film that)?

So it is her son that is in nearly every photo. In one case it looked like Dauer's family photo and he was in it I think. Is it possible he and Jana are courting? 

I know their reception had cheap food and drinks but I'm sure it still costs lot of money for 1,000 guests right? How much do you think it cost? 5-10,000 or more? 

I can only attest to my wedding, but to feed 300 people a full meal (appetizers, salad, rolls, vegetables, two or three hot entree choices) it was around $700-$800. The cake, which was made separately by an excellent baker, was $500-600. So, if you got rid of the professional cake, I'd put it in the ball park of maybe $2200-2500 for 1000 people in my case. The only way I can see a meal being anywhere in the ballpark of $5000-10000 is if it's a fine dining sit-down meal where waiters bring you the food and, in that case, you wouldn't be serving 1000 people. 

• Love 1

It's hard to gauge catering costs. They run the gamut depending on the size of the wedding and the amount/type of food served.

It seems like a lot of churchmembers volunteered the food at Jill's reception. All we have to do is figure out how many boxes of Duncan Hines went into making 600 cupcakes and do the math:)

• Love 1

So it is her son that is in nearly every photo. In one case it looked like Dauer's family photo and he was in it I think. Is it possible he and Jana are courting? 

Someone on Pickles and Hairspray suggested that and the admin said categorically, NO! She's in touch with someone close to Cooper's family and there is nothing going on with a Duggar. Maybe with a Bates girl?

• Love 1

I was at Sam's Club today and those gallon jars of pickles were $4-$4.50 depending on whether they were whole pickles or slices.  For the 70 gallon jars they bought, that's close to $300 just for pickles. Bet they had more than a few jars left over since I doubt all their wedding guests are as fond of pickles as they are.

• Love 1

OMG, did they seriously serve pickles at their wedding?! I just can't with these people anymore...

Why didn't the Duggars limit the guest list and just do a decent appetizer buffet? Of course then they wouldn't have received as many gifts. Question asked, question answered.

• Love 3

Friends of mine gave away homemade BBQ sauce at their wedding. If pickles are a "thing" with the bride and groom, it doesn't seem that odd to me, but I do live in a rural area, so...MMV

• Love 1

Friends of mine gave away homemade BBQ sauce at their wedding. If pickles are a "thing" with the bride and groom, it doesn't seem that odd to me, but I do live in a rural area, so...MMV

I think it is because it's a Duggar thing -- they did it for fun. 

I can only attest to my wedding, but to feed 300 people a full meal (appetizers, salad, rolls, vegetables, two or three hot entree choices) it was around $700-$800. The cake, which was made separately by an excellent baker, was $500-600. So, if you got rid of the professional cake, I'd put it in the ball park of maybe $2200-2500 for 1000 people in my case. The only way I can see a meal being anywhere in the ballpark of $5000-10000 is if it's a fine dining sit-down meal where waiters bring you the food and, in that case, you wouldn't be serving 1000 people. 

@PinkSprinkles 300 people at $700-$800 is less than $3.00 per person - for a full meal - who is your caterer!

The cake seems a little expensive at $500-$600, but I don't have all the details, so maybe not. 

When I got married in the early '90's, we had 100 people, and the catering alone was $900.00

Anyway, back OT - I've been to a couple of fundie weddings where only punch and cake was served. No decorations, other than a poster board with the bride and groom's names on it. It seemed strange to me, but the newly married couples all left after a quick meet and greet at the reception. I mean, like within an hour of the start of the reception. I wonder how long Jill and Derrick hung around for their reception.

• Love 1

@PinkSprinkles 300 people at $700-$800 is less than $3.00 per person - for a full meal - who is your caterer!

The cake seems a little expensive at $500-$600, but I don't have all the details, so maybe not. 

When I got married in the early '90's, we had 100 people, and the catering alone was $900.00

Anyway, back OT - I've been to a couple of fundie weddings where only punch and cake was served. No decorations, other than a poster board with the bride and groom's names on it. It seemed strange to me, but the newly married couples all left after a quick meet and greet at the reception. I mean, like within an hour of the start of the reception. I wonder how long Jill and Derrick hung around for their reception.

The cake was more expensive because it was a big to-do. It could easily rival, IMO, anything made on baking shows for weddings and those cakes usually go for well over $1000. I also re-checked my catering costs and the total was a little over the thousand mark (no clue what I got that mixed up with). 

OT: I keep seeing on Yahoo! that Jill and Derick are celebrating weekiversaries...is this a normal newlywed thing? I'm still considered a newlywed, but I have never celebrated each week we have been married (though my husband and I celebrated on day 73 just to say we outlasted Kim Kardashian's marriage). It reminds me of teenagers who consider their four-week dating anniversary a long relationship and post about it on facebook with pictures of themselves in sepia holding up their hands over their mouths to hide a kiss with pink and neon green lettering spelling out "Luv-Rs 4 Lyfe" over their heads. 

• Love 8

When you come from a family of famewhorers, it is considered normal. They need to keep reminding people they got married. Personally, I think it almost borders on being obnoxious, but I guess they need to keep up their five minutes of fame to keep the TLC/Duggar gravy train moving along.

I think the expected reception food is very much a cultural and regional thing.  I'm from a small city in the Midwest, and I didn't attend a wedding where dinner was served until I was in college!  The normal fare was cake and non-alcoholic punch, and the normal venue was the church hall.  Things have changed even here, and receptions have become more grand, but I could see the ladies at my church putting pickles on the table.

• Love 2

The cake was more expensive because it was a big to-do. It could easily rival, IMO, anything made on baking shows for weddings and those cakes usually go for well over $1000. I also re-checked my catering costs and the total was a little over the thousand mark (no clue what I got that mixed up with). 

OT: I keep seeing on Yahoo! that Jill and Derick are celebrating weekiversaries...is this a normal newlywed thing? I'm still considered a newlywed, but I have never celebrated each week we have been married (though my husband and I celebrated on day 73 just to say we outlasted Kim Kardashian's marriage). It reminds me of teenagers who consider their four-week dating anniversary a long relationship and post about it on facebook with pictures of themselves in sepia holding up their hands over their mouths to hide a kiss with pink and neon green lettering spelling out "Luv-Rs 4 Lyfe" over their heads. 

To their credit, they did skip the 4 weekaversary and just skipped to the "monthaversary." Let's hope that's the end of it until their real anniversary next June.

• Love 1

I've never known anyone to go as far as weekiversary, but newlyweds are often schmaltzy, sentimental, and irritating so I'm willing to give them a pass for this.

Also, pickles at a reception is pretty normal compared to some of the stuff people are doing at weddings and receptions these days.

I've never known anyone to go as far as weekiversary, but newlyweds are often schmaltzy, sentimental, and irritating so I'm willing to give them a pass for this.

Also, pickles at a reception is pretty normal compared to some of the stuff people are doing at weddings and receptions these days.

I can understand the week thing especially people their age who are finally allowed to <gasp> frontal hug, speak to each other, get to know each other without chaperones, etc.  (and yeah whatever else they're doing, but I'm ignoring that part mostly lol). Hopefully they switch to months now though.

I personally would be pretty happy to find pickles at a reception. Yummy!  If that was the only food option I wouldn't be too excited but it sounds like they had other stuff too. Maybe not a lot of other stuff, but it seems there was more to eat than just pickles.

I've been to a few Baptist weddings that were like that because they pretty much invited the entire congregation. They usually do a friends and family meal somewhere else but still not extravagant. So not at all unusual.

Hey, I love the "Dill" (if they were dill) pickles. Kind of a hoot if you think about it.

Okay, Marci Dauer still has all the pictures; she just made them a bit harder to find by burying them in an album. I'm surprised she hasn't been federally prosecuted yet (per the WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!! sign that TLC posted about restricting pictures/videos/social media).

I mean, her pics are all over the interwebz, and TLC certainly monitors certain known Duggar sites, both friend and foe.

I think the expected reception food is very much a cultural and regional thing.  I'm from a small city in the Midwest, and I didn't attend a wedding where dinner was served until I was in college!  The normal fare was cake and non-alcoholic punch, and the normal venue was the church hall.

This!  And I still, to this day, have never been to a wedding with a full sit-down dinner, only (at most) a few finger foods.  But mostly it's just cake and punch and maybe nuts if you're lucky.  Maybe I just have cheap friends? :-)

I have been to two southern weddings with meals.  Neither was fancy and one was mainly beer and hot dogs in the backyard.  :)  All of the rest, including my own, were cake, punch, mints, etc.  I went really fancy and had miniature ham biscuits.  It was simply what was done.  Anyone who did otherwise would have been talked about for ages. 

The Duggars are apparently following the social pattern of their group and to go too far outside that occasion a lot of gossip.  I do think they  could have done a little differently than they did and stayed within the boundaries and been a bit classier, but that's just me. 

• Love 1

I'm anxious to see how the other girls act if/when Jill gets pregnant.

Not to beat a dead horse, but back to the Jenny-staying-over thing:

I wonder if Jill is still doing homeschooling with them (if she's not the right sister-mom, someone please enlighten me)? Maybe now that she's out, she can help her siblings educate themselves as well. So, Jenny stayed over and Jill had a regiment for her (breakfast, school, chores, bath, dinner, bed)? My sister is much younger than I am and I love/d playing "house" with her and being her mom (I was in a similar situation, but there were only 5 kids, not 19) - a lot of the things she knows how to do, I taught her while playing house. So, maybe the kiddos are really benefiting from it. I don't know if bothers Derick or not (obviously) but I think having Jenny and maybe other siblings around makes Jill happy. Derick wants Jill happy (hopefully) so he's willing to go along for the ride.

(edited)

I have been to two southern weddings with meals.  Neither was fancy and one was mainly beer and hot dogs in the backyard.  :)  All of the rest, including my own, were cake, punch, mints, etc.  I went really fancy and had miniature ham biscuits.  It was simply what was done.  Anyone who did otherwise would have been talked about for ages. 

The Duggars are apparently following the social pattern of their group and to go too far outside that occasion a lot of gossip.  I do think they  could have done a little differently than they did and stayed within the boundaries and been a bit classier, but that's just me. 

I have been to all sorts of receptions through the years from elegant sit-down dinners with name cards to the cake and punch variety. My only surprise with the Dill wedding -- assuming the photos I saw were actually during the reception and not during some preparatory period -- was the lack of lovely table cloths, just bare utility church hall tables. I thought the pickles were a rather cute wink at friends and family. And if they were dill pickles, it was a big wink. 

Edited by mbutterfly

Over the years I have been to all kinds of weddings. My favorite so far was in a beautiful little church that wasn't fancy, followed by a dinner in the church fellowship hall. It was plain with handmade decorations and great home style food made and served by family of the bride. The love that went into it was so apparent and we all had such a good time. I've been to fancy sit down dinner weddings that were of course very nice, but i know I feel more comfortable and relaxed at the other kind.

I also thought the pickle thing was cute and made sense in this group. I'm going to a family wedding later this year. They like horses, so I fully expect there to be something western or country or horsey about the event. Should be fun!

I am from the northeast where sit-down dinners are the most common type of reception, usually with a full blown cocktail hour and hors d'oevres first.  But I know things are different in the south and the Duggars probably followed their local traditions.  I thought Jill looked terrific and I liked her choice of colors, but not the bridesmaids' dresses or shoes!  One of the best receptions I went to was held in a huge field near a lake.  The bride's parents were farmers and they had gigantic tents set up and everyone in the little town prepared food (not just finger food) for the reception.  There were Swedish meatballs, pasta dishes, salads, etc.  They had porta potties.  At 4 pm the bride's father and cousins left to milk the cows!  There were at least 300 people.   It was great!

Also, traditions are very different region to region.  Friends who moved south were embarrassed when they went to church dressed casually as they did up north.  In the congregation they joined, everyone was dressed to the teeth on Sunday...suits and dresses only. 

(edited)

I just hope we don't get any "Bae caught me sleeping" poses with Jill pretending Derick took the picture and we see her reflection in the mirror holding up the phone. 

Edited by PinkSprinkles
  • Love 6

I recently got married and had 940 less guests than the Duggars. Even in the midwest, not a fancy hotel it was 8-10,000. So yeah if they actually paid for their food it would be insane right? I can't imagine traveling really far to a wedding where I barely know the couple and getting a rice crispy. I'd travel far for my friends or family for a rice crispy cake wedding but a random church girl. Wow! 

• Love 3

I just hope we don't get any "He caught me sleeping" poses with Jill pretending Derick took the picture and we see her reflection in the mirror holding up the phone. 

If this is a reference to something another fundie pulled, I would love to be filled in.  Sounds hilarious. 

But yeah, Jill and Derick are wearing on my nerves, too.  They're cute but enough already!  

• Love 1
(edited)

It's not necessarily a fundie thing, but there are pictures on the internet of people who try to be cute and say things like "awww my baby caught me sleeping" but they take a selfie band get busted because there is a mirror behind them and you can see thy are taking their own picture. It's pretty funny.

Edited by leighroda
  • Love 1

I just hope we don't get any "Bae caught me sleeping" poses with Jill pretending Derick took the picture and we see her reflection in the mirror holding up the phone. 

I'm sorry, who is Bae??

Perhaps the weddings also scrimp on food because there are so many children.  It would be a complete waste to cater for kids.  And since the kids are fully included in everything, they surely wouldn't separate the good sit down meals for adults from the finger foods for kids.  Just a thought.