Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Is her Instagram something besides a personal Instagram -- who would she get paid for it? Or does she get paid if/when magazines want to use those pictures to run them on their own websites? Any idea how much income that would be? I'd say that probably isn't a bad way to generate some extra money. The interest won't last forever, but there is interest in these early days. And with still pictures that the couple is taking themselves, they are far less invasive than cameras filming your conversations 24-7 to be edited however producers see fit. I don't see the harm in selling a few pics from a weekend BBQ or dinner out or something.

I think a quick pregnancy and D names as well -- I don't know why. I think the quick pregnancy will be because Jill wants it, not so much because of Derick or Derick's mom. Derick seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't mind waiting a bit -- just to enjoy life together and get to know each other for 1-2 years without a child; not suggesting he'd be ok with birth control (though maybe he would) but I think he'd be ok with NFP. Derick's mom didn't seem thrilled with the whole courtship, so she may really want them to wait despite her health -- as opposed to courting for a few months, getting married quickly and having a baby in 9 months; she may consider it more normal for a young couple to take their time. I know some people say that they'll have a baby quick for Derick's mom's sake; I truly hope she's getting better and that is not a consideration. But if she is really really sick, I understand wanting her to see a grandchild -- but is it the right time in that case to have a baby? Derick is already in a new marriage to someone he hardly knows, with a new job, an inlaw family that I suspect is occupying some of his, and probably wants to spend the rest of his time with his mom. Throwing a new baby and all the sleepless nights into this mix seems like a bad idea. Granted I'm sure Jill would be expected to do all the work, but a pregnant wife and a new baby does add stress -- even if you're not the one waking up on the hr with a newborn -- and it seems like Derick has more than enough stress in his life right now.

• Love 1
(edited)

My sister-in-law became pregnant while her father-in-law was dying from cancer. Her husband had a full time job and help run the small family farm. She did have some problems, and my nephew was delivered a couple of weeks early of her due date. My one aunt was a few months pregnant with five kids already when my uncle was killed in a car accident. She had a few scary moments and had to be put in the hospital for a few days after the accident. I feel bad for Derrick because his mother is sick, but he is not the first person in history to deal with a serious illness in the family, have a career, in-laws and a wife who may be pregnant.

Edited by bigskygirl

They are living on 1 income (it seems), and Derick may have school loans to pay. They may also have plans that will cost money, such as two week missions, a second car, travel, and so forth.

One income PLUS any TLC money, pay for tweeting, etc. I assume TLC will also be paying for any travel for the show.

• Love 1

Purely speculation here, but let's say things are done "in the dark".  Nothing wrong with Derrick slippin' one on and Jill would know no different. 

And that's all I'll say, because while I know what this thread is for, still makes me feel squicky.  We joke about Boob/Bitchelle sex, but poor Jill knows no different, for what sexuality could be all about and has such a limited world view.  I feel bad for her, really

And lets not forget that Derrick is the "headship" now. According to Gothard rules, what he says goes. I would be surprised if they didn't announce a pregnancy in the first year but do we really think Jill would argue if Derrick said he wants to wait a while? Wouldn't going against the headship be sinful? 

• Love 1
Is her Instagram something besides a personal Instagram -- who would she get paid for it? Or does she get paid if/when magazines want to use those pictures to run them on their own websites?

I assumed that meant she is being paid to promote particular products or services on Instagram.  Like taking a pic of herself cooking with a particular type of flour (or whatever) and making it prominent in the picture.  Or maybe a pic of her and Derick at a restaurant saying, "Just had a fabulous dinner at Applebee's!"  But I may be wrong.

Damn good points, Marigny.  Although I'm sure Derrick was thoroughly grilled by Boob and Bitchelle about all of that beforehand.  Not with Jill around of course.  Guessing that was part of the vetting process to even meet Jill.  Can you imagine being asked these type of quesions by someone's parents you aren't even dating yet?  Makes me wonder how many of the other "suitors" were either scared off or didn't answer the questionnaire right

• Love 4
(edited)

Now, WHY do they not just make dresses from a modest pattern? Have I missed the explanation for why their bassackwards process is preferable?

Have any of the girls ever been shown as good seamstresses?  I remember one episode where I believe they were converting their volunteer uniforms to make pants into skirts (am I remembering that right?), but other than that I don't think we've seen anything that indicates that they make any of their clothes.  I honestly don't remember though, so I welcome any corrections if I'm wrong.  From the pictures, it doesn't look to me like sleeves were added -- the color of the sleeves just match too perfectly.

Ugh, the media interest in this is silly.  Yeah, we thought it was cute when Josh and Anna produced the first Grand Duggar spawn, but then we were "treated" to the births of #2 and #3 as well.....I know it'll be the first girl Duggar offshoot, but are we gonna get VSE's for JoyAnna's third kid?  I'm hoping that while Jill might believe birth control is "evil", maybe a little NFP might not be such a bad idea.  Hell, if Derrick is smart, he'll watch the calendar as well and suddenly develop a headache in the middle of the month

I'd be amazed if there's much interest at all in any of the other Duggar kids' first kid.  Jill, by being the first daughter to be married, practically got a windfall because of the all the media interest (being paid for the People magazine article, for example).  I would be surprised if future Duggar weddings have 1000 guests -- just factoring in all the extra wedding presents alone is a bonus that Jill got that the other kids are probably unlikely to get. 

I do hope Jill does not become pregnant until June 15, so that they get to spend a year just settling in.  They've only been married a few weeks, and with the courtship rules, they are still getting to know lots of things about it other.  I would like Jill to have a year off from parenting (or as close as she can get since she won't want to abandon her buddies, and her other siblings).    The more free time Jill has, the more time she has to discover who SHE is, what HER likes/dislikes are, the activities that SHE likes.   She's been busy being a sister-Mom and has never been allowed to have divergent thoughts. 

I hope they don't pick a letter, although Derick may not be opposed to doing so.  After all, he and his brother share a first initial. I think.

Finally, I hope they DON'T run out and get pregnant just to give Cathy her first grandchild.  We don't know Cathy's prognosis, she may have a great chance of getting thru this cancer just fine.  If not, and is terminally ill (NOTICE I said if), I still don't think the Dillards should rush into a lifetime commitment as a parent just so Cathy can SEE a baby for a few days/weeks/months. .

I don't have a problem with Jill having a baby right away -- it seems pretty clear that she enjoys babies, considering the career path she's been on.  Plus, she seems to have the most authentic bond with her sibling buddies from what we've seen on the show.  However, I agree that I hope they don't "pick a letter."  I don't think we'll be able to tell until the second child, unless they come out and announce that they're going to name all of their children "[Letter]" names.  (If they do pick a letter, I'm guessing it will D.)  If (when?) the first two children have first names that start with the same letter, I'll assume that they're going into this with the goal to try to have as many kids as possible like her parents.  I also don't think having a baby quickly, so that Cathy can see it, would be "rushing into a lifelong commitment" since I've got to believe they've already committed to having children.  Now it's just a question of when.

Not that I wish this for Jill as I have fertility issues, but I just hope that if Jill doesn't conceive right away, that she doesn't beat herself up for it. I know Anna mentioned being disappointed that she wasn't pregnant only a handful of months into her marriage.

I totally agree.  Having gone through it myself, it's hard enough dealing with your own feelings about it without having to deal with people asking all the time "When are you going to have children?"

I think most Christian denominations are ok with some type of birth control. Even the Catholic church nowdays won't preach against stuff like NFP anymore, and many Bishops are ok with condoms too. Granted, NFP isn't as effective as the pill for example, but you can still use it to avoid that you end up with 19 children. You might end up with 8 or something like that, but that's still a manageable number, whereas 19 is simply irresponsible towards the children.

Catholic here.  It's been 13-14 years since I got married, so I'm not sure, but I think the priest asked us during our initial discussions with him if we were both open to accepting children and would we agree to raise them in the Catholic Church.....not whether we were open to accepting all the children God wanted to give us.  But I'm 100% sure about this:  not only did the Church not preach against NFP, they were pushing it.  During our Pre-Cana weekend (run by the Church), they brought in a young married couple who explained how to do NFP.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is her Instagram something besides a personal Instagram -- who would she get paid for it? Or does she get paid if/when magazines want to use those pictures to run them on their own websites? Any idea how much income that would be? I'd say that probably isn't a bad way to generate some extra money.

I thought it was mostly a personal instagram until I saw that allrecipes plug. I think she also mentioned the woman who did her and the sisters' nails for the wedding and likely ended up with free service as a result. A lot of instagrammers with a ton of followers receive some form of compensation, whether it be financially or with physical products, when they plug certain companies. Since Jill is a housewife, plugging a recipe website seems up Jill's alley.

Edited by trimthatfat
(edited)

She could be getting up to $10,000 for her instagram postings. There are people struggling to pay their bills and keep a roof over their heads, but lets pay a C celebrity whose only claim to fame is her parents having umpteenth children that much money to promote and post pictures of her awesome husband and marriage. The world is really going to hell in a basket.

Edited by bigskygirl

NOTE FROM THE MOD: I moved several posts that were dealing with religious belief about birth control, etc. in general (not necessarily specifically related to the Dillards) to the Religion thread linked below.  Please continue this conversation there unless and until  the issue is specifically raised again on the show.  Thanks.  @maraleia and I like things tidy! :-)

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/7046-gimme-that-old-time-religion/page-3#entry194345

• Love 3
(edited)

I have a feeling  that without the Dill marriage, the show would've been close to cancelation. What can they show, that we haven't already seen 1000 times? 

ITA. I think the family needed another marriage or another baby to keep the show going for another couple of seasons. I don't think the general public is as invested in Josh and Anna's family as they are in the other Duggar children, so Anna having a new baby isn't all that interesting anymore. Jessa seems to be the next up for marriage unless John David and Jana have their own courtships going on behind closed doors. After that, I'm not quite sure where they could take the show. We've already seen the first marriage, the first grandbaby.

Edited by trimthatfat

I have a feeling  that without the Dill marriage, the show would've been close to cancelation. What can they show, that we haven't already seen 1000 times? 

Exactly. It's not like they can showcase all the good works the family is doing...because they really don't do shit. They travel the world telling people they have 19 kids and then wait for the awe to descend upon them.

• Love 8

Jill's IG actually says that it's her "official" account. I follow a lot of athletes and the like and it's the same deal. A lot of them promote their shoe brand or whatever; only a few are there to actually share their lives (Julia Mancuso, the skier, is full-out awesome; the only thing she's pimped is her awesome camera).

So yeah, I just thought she was being a social media noob with all those hashtags, but that article made a lot of sense. Restaurants, sandals, websites, etc. have been pimped in her posts. I'm surprised she didn't give a shout out to the rock and bowl where she took Grandma last night. But they probably played music with a backbeat, not to mention the black lights, so no endorsement from Jilly.

There's nothing wrong with IHOP 56 cent pancakes!  It's a perfectly normal American consumer way to save money.  As is cutting your husband's hair. I would not cut my husbands because I would mess it up, but Jill has had plenty of practice.   These two strike me as doing just fine right now.   Doing perfectly unremarkable things like going out to eat.  

I would go to IHOP for 56 cent pancakes if there was one around here. What I would probably not do is to dress up like a cow for a free meal at Chick-Fil-A! LOL

http://duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/duggars-eat-mor-chickin.html

• Love 1

Sorry, but I cannot see girls beating down the door to get to John David. He reminds me too much of Jim Boob and Smuggly Do Rite.

JD has always seemed off to me but not at all in the JB or Smugger way. He seems to not drink the Gothard Kool-Aid unless it somehow benefits him and his interest in guns leans to the paramilitary. He's a whole different TV show happening that we're not viewing.

• Love 2

After seeing him help trash the honeymoon vehicle at the one wedding, my view of him went down hill. I still cannot believe he is a volunteer constable. What would he do if he had to deal with a drunk or a woman wearing shorts or a tank top in the hot weather. Scream nike!!! and run for the hills.

For some reason every time I see "JD" I think it's a joking way of making Derick a "J-name" (you know, like "J-chelle.")  I realize people are talking about someone else but I find myself thinking "J-Derick" every time.

What I would probably not do is to dress up like a cow for a free meal at Chick-Fil-A! LOL

http://duggarsblog.b...or-chickin.html

I know several people who did this the other day.  And at my musical rehearsal there were three little girls, 2 of whom have small parts in the show (1 was tagging along with mom) who had just come from Chick-Fil-A still in their cow outfits and, OMG it was pretty danged adorable!

• Love 2

I thought it was mostly a personal instagram until I saw that allrecipes plug. I think she also mentioned the woman who did her and the sisters' nails for the wedding and likely ended up with free service as a result. A lot of instagrammers with a ton of followers receive some form of compensation, whether it be financially or with physical products, when they plug certain companies. Since Jill is a housewife, plugging a recipe website seems up Jill's alley.

I agree. Other than the obvious shoutout to Jamberry nails and MAYBE All Recipes, most of her IG posts didn't seem sponsored to me. The plugs for TLC/People mag/bridal shop where she got her dress were a given. The other photos with the picnic basket and the hair trimmer which seemed like product placement were actually wedding gifts and it's not like she plugged the companies. The Chacos were a birthday present from Derick. The photos taken at IHOP, Chick-fil-A, etc. were part of nationwide promotional deals which I doubt she would get compensated for. It's possible that she may be plugging certain companies in the hopes of landing a sponsorship.  Or maybe she's just enjoying newlywed life and being a bit overzealous with her newfound freedom on social media. At least her IG is somewhat interesting and varied and it's not just selfies of her and Derick's faces all smushed up together like a certain other Duggar sister and her boy toy. I can handle a few posts that may or may not be sponsored but on the other hand, I find Ben and Jessa's endless selfies to be beyond irritating. 

• Love 2

I tend to doubt that the allrecipes mention was a plug. The only reason being that Jill made a typo, and it says "allrecipies". If you click the link it goes to the correct site, but it seems like a paying company would want the name to be spelled correctly..

About Jill's instagrams: TLC may have had a discussion with Jill and Derick about their new found celebrity.  She may be posting frequently about what they are doing because it has been suggested to her as a way to keep the show alive.  It may also be a preventative strike.  If you give your more stalker-ish type fans that type of info, maybe it will be enough and you will get left alone the rest of the time.  It is also possible that she thinks it is a way to keep her family in the loop so they don't feel abandoned. 

• Love 3

She probably sees at least one family member once a day. Does she need to report to her family esp. Jim Boob and Mullet on her daily activities. She is a newly married woman, and she did not abandoned her family. Sad she may be using her husband and marriage to help keep the show alive. I guess the almighty TLC money train and famewhoring cannot be forgotten about.

If Jill married Derick for the sole purpose of keeping the show going, that proves how fame hungry J'Chelle and Boob are. I don't think that she would marry him, to keep the show going. Their love seems genuine. Unlike Benessa. I think they're courtship was strictly for the show's sake. 

• Love 2

I am trying hard not speculating anything based on the little we get from Jill and Derick, but I seriously doubt she married to keep the show alive. The relationship certainly may have been conjured up by Boob and TLC, but if Jill married for the sake of publicity, she's an excellent actress!

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't see a problem with Jill getting paid to promote products on her Instagram if she is getting paid. I have a friend who gets paid for promoting products on her blog and Instagram account. She makes a good living from it, and she's not a celebrity. I know nothing about Derick and Jill's income situation. Jill and Derick could be getting paid for being on the show, but who knows if they actually are. Maybe they will now that they're married and not living in the house, but it's not a guarantee. Besides, she's not even really promoting anything on Instagram all that much. I've seen much, much worse.

Edited by AnyoneButYou
  • Love 1

I agree, AnyoneButYou.

It's not like she had a $4M dollar wedding paid by ABC (or whomever) & separated 73 days later. Or is paid $$$ by Sears to label some shitty clothes.

• Love 1

She is living in a house JimBoob owns. Getting paid up to $10,000 for some instagram pictures while people are struggling to pay bills and raise a family is beyond enjoying her new life. Jill can talk a good game about modesty until she is blue in the face, but she is willing to promote her life for a few bucks. I do think Derick and her are struggling with money.

Btw, I did not say she married Derrick to keep the show alive, but she is allowing her personal life to be viewed by people. She is helping keep the show going because TLC and her famewhore parents know the ratings are down. She may be married, but her parents, in a round about way, is still running her life.

Some might say (and have said on this board) that having children if you can't support them isn't responsible - that would apply to the non-Duggar populace as well. I know people who have had rent or a house downpayment paid for by parents or family - that is also not exclusive to the Duggar world.

Getting paid for blog posts or instagram photos isn't a new gig. It isn't cheating the system, it's a (frankly, well known) way of generating income. It isn't beyond enjoying her new life at all - it's a part of it.

I like snarking and reading the snark about the Duggars as much as anyone but Jill is making money from taking photos and making twitter posts. That's pretty benign.

• Love 5

I guess she is using what she was caught. Take pictures about your life and selling your soul to the highest bidder instead of focusing on a real career will get you ahead in life. What happens when the money gravy train cuts you off and no one is interested. What skills and talent will she have to fall back on?

And yes, people have gotten help with housing, but how many people get a house from mommy and daddy because their parents want to have some control over them.

I don't see a problem with Jill getting paid to promote products on her Instagram if she is getting paid. I have a friend who gets paid for promoting products on her blog and Instagram account.

I don't see the problem either. I spent most of my early twenties broke as joke, but I'm not going to begrudge Jill because she has found a relatively easy way to make money for her new family or because she was gifted a nice house. Hell, I would have taken all of the above at 23.

• Love 2

Does anyone else think Jill and Derrick would get custody of the youngers kids (howlers and lost girls) if something happen to Mullet and Jim Boob? I cannot picture Smuggar and Anna wanting to take them in.

If Boob and Mullet happened to die (a slow, agonizing death), I picture Jana (and possibly JD) taking custody and things continuing on with relatively few changes to their current routine.

Does anyone else think Jill and Derrick would get custody of the youngers kids (howlers and lost girls) if something happen to Mullet and Jim Boob? I cannot picture Smuggar and Anna wanting to take them in.

The young children will be raised by their real mother - Jana.

• Love 1

I looked at all the wedding pictures.  What a strange assortment of food.

Speaking of strange, David and Priscilla?  Just weird.

And who is the guy in the red & white checked shirt in so many of the pictures?  PING!

Too bad they couldn't spring for some cheap tablecovers and some wedding decorations.

There is actually a scholarship for making prom dresses out of duct tape.  That's what I thought of when I saw Michelle.

Jill and Derrick look so happy.  Good for them.

• Love 3

The facebook page of MarciMonteDauer has a TON of candid pics on their page. Their son, Cooper, is in shots with both Jinger and Jessica Seewald with an arm draped over their shoulders. These people are major leghumpers (showed the Bateses around San Francisco earlier this month), but there might be something going on with thie Dauer kid.

Marci's pics confirm that Mullet's dress is truly one of the hottest messes ever to be worn. You can also see just how cheap the reception was, both in terms of food and venue. I'm not sure there were even any decorations, certainly no tablecloths on the food tables. Come on Boob, open your wallet and spring for some table coverings! Geez louise! It's a wedding, not a yard sale.

• Love 5

The facebook page of MarciMonteDauer has a TON of candid pics on their page. Their son, Cooper, is in shots with both Jinger and Jessica Seewald with an arm draped over their shoulders. These people are major leghumpers (showed the Bateses around San Francisco earlier this month), but there might be something going on with thie Dauer kid.

Marci's pics confirm that Mullet's dress is truly one of the hottest messes ever to be worn. You can also see just how cheap the reception was, both in terms of food and venue. I'm not sure there were even any decorations, certainly no tablecloths on the food tables. Come on Boob, open your wallet and spring for some table coverings! Geez louise! It's a wedding, not a yard sale.

The pics are no longer there so she may have taken them down.  They're still on the Duggar tumblr though.

I really like the Pistol Pete cake.  I'm glad that they at least had something that represents Derick.  As for Mullet's dress....that modesty panel was so high it looks like she has no neck.  Not a good look for her at all.  That aqua outfit that one of her friends wore would have looked good on her though. 

Interesting. I saw them posted in a private FB group, but I know that Pickles also got a hold of them and that FJ posted a few of the pictures, so they're still out there for anyone who is interested.

I agree about the Pistol Pete cake! Hilarious.

It also seems that some guests wore peach ribbons pinned to their lapels. According to this site (sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink): http://awarenessribbongifts.com/awareness-ribbon-colors/ the peach ribbon signifies either endometrial or uterine cancer. I'm sure this was done in solidarity for Cathy. Derick also wore a peach tie, the only man in the bridal party to do so. I wondered why Mullet didn't go with soft peach for her dress, but knowing this about the ribbons, I can see why she chose to just match up with Boob and go with the Duct Tape dress instead.

I doubt it. First off, Derick is not a Gothardite. The weddings he goes to (that I know of) are when both the bride and groom are in the cult. Secondly, the Duggars are doing their level best to distance themselves from the man, although they remain active in the program. Boob's remarks last March at one of the book signings set the tone for how the Duggars were going to handle this ("follow God, not man"). It's bullshit, but that's how he's decided to repackage them from here on out.

I think those photos were taken at a prep area for the reception and not the actual reception itself. I saw other photos of what looks to be the real reception and there were white tablecloths and decorations. The food? Well, I guess I'm in the minority because I don't really have a problem with what they served. There were a ton of people at the wedding and it's my understanding that the majority of the food and decorations were handled by volunteers. Maybe Jim Bob could have sprung for a fancier wedding but I don't think Jill would have felt comfortable with him doing that anyway. I get the feeling that Jill and Derick got what they wanted for their wedding, which was a more simple, homely kind of vibe rather than some huge extravaganza (despite the cameras and amount of guests).  On the other hand, it'll be interesting to see see how cheap Jim Bob gets when Princess Jessa's wedding comes around!

(edited)

The photos are still on Marci's FB page.

I looked at the dress Michelle wore and tried it on last fall for a wedding.  It was hideous and hot.  Michelle does not have the figure for that dress and her modesty alteration was dreadful.  There are plenty of reasonable dresses to be had that wouldn't have needed a modesty shirt underneath. 

Edited by Absolom