Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I think it means if someone is trying to hurt you, you should look for a guy in a purple sash to help you. Now I understand Christianity. 

He is the safe zone in a dweeb war. This is right up there with the Bin football pic. For gawds sake, take a pic with Bin playing football, not posing with a football. Take a video of yourselves doing something practical. If you are travelling around to villages, isn't there something you could do to help? Jebus, those nails aren't going to paint themselves.

• Love 6

He is the safe zone in a dweeb war. This is right up there with the Bin football pic. For gawds sake, take a pic with Bin playing football, not posing with a football. Take a video of yourselves doing something practical. If you are travelling around to villages, isn't there something you could do to help? Jebus, those nails aren't going to paint themselves.

I have a sinking feeling that this is as practical as it gets.

Everybody over about age 12 who's standing there is probably a more accomplished and competent person than Jill. The only thing she has to offer is that she knows the correct Jesus. And Derick aka Pistol Pete probably isn't much in advance of her.

• Love 1

I might a bad person, since I keep laughing at the video.

Notice on one side the guy with the purple sash (is he supposed to be Jesus?) and on the other is somebody dressed as the grim reaper (all in black) (or some other personification of death to me.)

I think more costumes would have helped. But then as others have said it's a summer camp skit. 

The song reminds of Pat Benatar's It's a Do or Die Situation. 

Also what are the objects on the ground?

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

Looking at the comments, I learned that this same skit -- I assume some kind of now-standard movements interpreting whatever the song is??? -- has been performed on numerous other missions, at retreats, college meetings, in churches.... One woman mentions that she saw it at college and it really "spoke to my heart." So apparently we need to get with the program. It's happening all over. And it's great, people.

It's even more horrifying to think that it wasn't made up in about 10 minutes by this particular gang of dweebs.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

The song in the video is called 'Everything' by the rock band Lifehouse. They're not a Christian band but I think their music is partly influenced by their faith because most of the members are Christians. It's a beautiful song IMO.  The person who said it was like summer camp was not far off because my church friends and I performed a similar skit using that same song at VBS camp over 10 years ago (wow, I can't believe it's been that long...). On the plus side, at least Jill is being exposed to rock music and umm, performance arts/"dancing"?

Edited by Mariva
  • Love 2

The song in the video is called 'Everything' by the rock band Lifehouse. They're not a Christian band but I think their music is partly influenced by their faith because most of the members are Christians. It's a beautiful song IMO.  The person who said it was like summer camp was not far off because my church friends and I performed a similar skit using that same song at VBS camp over 10 years ago (wow, I can't believe it's been that long...). On the plus side, at least Jill is being exposed to rock music and umm, performance arts/"dancing"?

Oh, thanks for figuring that out. I wondered if that was the song, after I saw what Jill wrote. I can barely hear it on my bad computer speakers. But I couldn't figure out how what they were doing expressed that lyric at all. 

• Love 2

I think it means if someone is trying to hurt you, you should look for a guy in a purple sash to help you. Now I understand Christianity. 

OK, so that makes me laugh, because my one uncle is an RC monsignor, and he actually has a purple sash. I've seen it.

Given their goals, though, that seems like a counterproductive message for them to send.

• Love 3

Looking at the comments, I learned that this same skit -- I assume some kind of now-standard movements interpreting whatever the song is??? -- has been performed on numerous other missions, at retreats, college meetings, in churches.... One woman mentions that she saw it at college and it really "spoke to my heart." So apparently we need to get with the program. It's happening all over. And it's great, people.

It's even more horrifying to think that it wasn't made up in about 10 minutes by this particular gang of dweebs.

Yup, I can attest that song is very popular for bible skits. Here's another Youtube example which seems pretty similar to the skit Derick and co. performed, purple sash and all ;-)

Edit: I probably shouldn't say "similar" because upon watching the YT video again, I think it's the exact same skit, lol. 

Edited by Mariva
  • Love 2

I missed seeing the link to the Derick/Jill version but looked at a very little of the YouTube version.  It did not speak to my heart.  At all.  I would rather hear a Gregorian chant.  I don't understand this purple sash music stuff.  Don't want to either.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 2

Whoa, hold up! It has a beat?! Does Jim Bob know about this? NIKE!

• Love 7

Okay, the video actually makes me mad. It is ridiculous, patronizing, condescending, and just plain wrong. Did I mention ridiculous?

They are grown ass adults, they can't really think that silly skit has meaning to anyone. All they are doing is giving Americans a reputation of being stupid ass people.

Lets all run & donate now.

• Love 15

From the Inquistir:

"According to CBN News, the “Everything” skit is usually performed to the Lifehouse song of the same name. It follows a young woman as she turns away from Jesus by allowing herself to be overcome by a list of “vices” that includes “sexual impurity, greed for money, drinking, bulimia, and cutting.” She eventually decides to commit suicide, and this is when Jesus steps in to help her fend off her “demonic attackers.” Derick is playing one of the “vices” in the video above, but it’s impossible to tell which one based on the short clip that Jill shared on Instagram."

​People have their opinions, but like I said, it's a popular skit. 

• Love 2

From the Inquistir:

"According to CBN News, the “Everything” skit is usually performed to the Lifehouse song of the same name. It follows a young woman as she turns away from Jesus by allowing herself to be overcome by a list of “vices” that includes “sexual impurity, greed for money, drinking, bulimia, and cutting.” She eventually decides to commit suicide, and this is when Jesus steps in to help her fend off her “demonic attackers.” Derick is playing one of the “vices” in the video above, but it’s impossible to tell which one based on the short clip that Jill shared on Instagram."

Well, at least the people in the YouTube video aren't half-assing it, the way most of the Theater Derick group (including Derick) is doing. I didn't watch much of that performance, but it looks as if they mean it and as if they know what they're doing, and that certainly helps. Much much more expressive.

It's partly the sloppiness and awkwardness of Derick and his crew that offends me. I realize that most people will be awkward when they're dancing. But if you're trying to communicate with people, you need to dance with conviction and convey something. If you can't do that, you probably ought to try another means of communicating because you won't do anything but embarrass and confuse the audience. Plus, it's one thing for people in the U.S. to be moved by a dance to a pop song they know. But why would you go to someone else's country and assume that they'll be moved by a dance to a pop song from your country that in all likelihood they've never heard before in their lives? The whole thoughtlessness of it is pretty appalling, to me. They're taking something that works in the United States because it taps into an audience's feelings attached to a song they know and assuming that that would translate to people completely unfamiliar with the song. Completely thoughtless, seems to me.

On some thread the other day, someone described a Duggar business -- I think the towing company? -- as half-assed. And that adjective should probably be attached to everything they do.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11

From the Inquistir:

Thank-you for the interpretation.

In a community over run by gang violence, I hope folks don't now assume that people wearing purple are the good guys.

• Love 7

That was awful. I hope the villages ate their ten cents worth of sugar candy, crossed themselves, went home and said a rosary, then lit a candle for Jill. I don't think it ever dawns on them that a lot 'conversion' are well-acted plays to get aid from transient missionaries.

Upthread someone said J&D are doing well without modern conveniences? I'm pretty sure they have electricity, running water/plumbing, maybe a/c. Hell, Jill didn't even give up her iphone.

• Love 14

I don't understand. Is there some cultural context for this, or do these kids really think what the people they're supposed to be ministering to are hurting for is amateur church nerd street theater?

I honestly have no idea what I just watched. Can anyone explain?

ETA: I see someone has tried. Still ridiculous to me. Because Jesus can "cure" mental illness and addiction? Give me a fucking break.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 8

You might have your work cut out for you sometimesy but I much prefer your itinerary to Wok Chop's Squidwords'.

I have a rather healthy aversion to religious missions and that Jerick video is a good reason why more should feel the same.

Wanna' help?

Dig a well.

Build a chicken coop.

Be a friend.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 22

I don't usually check out this particular topic in the Duggar forums. A little Duggar goes a long way with me and I have a full time job that I would need to quit if I were to read to have the time to read every topic in this forum, but......... WTF? Glad I stopped by, but I am now comfortable that although I am missing somethings, somethings don't need to be seen!

• Love 5
"According to CBN News, the “Everything” skit is usually performed to the Lifehouse song of the same name. It follows a young woman as she turns away from Jesus by allowing herself to be overcome by a list of “vices” that includes “sexual impurity, greed for money, drinking, bulimia, and cutting.”

Fundies actually consider eating disorders and self-harming to be "vices"? That's just... I can't even. Is there a single shred of empathy and compassion within these people? Can their ignorance really be so deep? Their lack of understanding of human psychology so vast? It's 2015 for fucks sake, not the 19th century.

• Love 20

Fundies actually consider eating disorders and self-harming to be "vices"? That's just... I can't even. Is there a single shred of empathy and compassion within these people? Can their ignorance really be so deep? Their lack of understanding of human psychology so vast? It's 2015 for fucks sake, not the 19th century.

I'm not surprised. These people think you can "pray away" sexual abuse, there's no limit to their ignorance. They also made their teenage daughter go to Weight Watchers for an extra five pounds of baby chub, I don't think empathy is in their wheelhouse.

• Love 11

I've never been so embarrassed both for and by people in my entire life. That video was just painful to watch. Excruciating...

Is THIS what they're all doing down there ? Trying to save/convert souls via trite, pandering, confusing, laughably amateur "performance" art ? The people watching the whole debacle seem to be torn between extreme boredom or just laughing out loud. The What-The-Fuckiness is simply staggering. 

How does this "help" the native population ? What are they actually DOING ? Are there Razzie Awards for YouTube clips ? 

I have, sometime in the last decade, seen the "real" production of this work on some cable channel, done with professional dancers/actors, Broadway-quality lighting and staging, and, though it's not really my cup of tea, it was done well. The message was sin and salvation, the power of forgiveness. I wasn't in the market for being "saved" because I'm perfectly comfortable with who and what I am, but it did have a powerful message for those who seek out that kind of religious art/entertainment.

But this - THIS - from Jill, Derrick and Company ? 

Looked like the most bizarre game of Red Rover, Red Rover I've ever seen. 

And for those who sent money, actual money, for this Summer Camp for Jesus... ? Fool + Money = Soon Parted. 

• Love 12

Here's what it's supposed to look like. And yes, Jesus wears a purple sash for some undetermined reason. Still a whole lotta WTFuckery going on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA&app=desktop

Respectful and subtle use of black people, the girl did have the assets though.

I still don't understand the invisible rope thing, but Derick would be wise to ditch his spaghetti arms flailing, and copy what these people did (legit looking struggling). Perhaps even switch roles with the stumpy Jesus, because bad guy Derick has really long arms.

Does the bible say anything about synthetic satin?
  • Love 3

This calling that the Dillard's have gotten tied up with is all about the "missionaries."  I have yet to see anything that brings truly useful help to the residents of El Salvador or Guatemala.  I suppose vacation missionaries give more money to their churches and religious programs.

• Love 9

Here's what it's supposed to look like. And yes, Jesus wears a purple sash for some undetermined reason. Still a whole lotta WTFuckery going on here. 

What in the flying hell is this? This looks like skits from my high school 15 years ago. They are stuck in a late 90's time warp! 

• Love 4

Whoa, hold up! It has a beat?! Does Jim Bob know about this? NIKE!

Jill is living the wild life with Derick as her headship. Christian rock and everything! Seriously, though, Gothard does teach that it has a demonic beat so I wonder what Jill thinks now.

Okay, the video actually makes me mad. It is ridiculous, patronizing, condescending, and just plain wrong. Did I mention ridiculous?

They are grown ass adults, they can't really think that silly skit has meaning to anyone. All they are doing is giving Americans a reputation of being stupid ass people.

Lets all run & donate now.

As ridiculous as I find their skit/interpretive dance, and everything about conversion based mission work, I still reluctantly say that their hearts are in the right place, and that they aren't treating the local people with any more condescension than they do the American people they try to convert. Again, I know you have to have grown up fundy to understand that they believe they are eternally saving lives by trying to get people to pray the sinner's prayer. It's not as simple or as arrogant as them wanting everyone to think like they do. I certainly do hope that they're at least helping the people in real, practical ways too, though.

• Love 3

As ridiculous as I find their skit/interpretive dance, and everything about conversion based mission work, I still reluctantly say that their hearts are in the right place, and that they aren't treating the local people with any more condescension than they do the American people they try to convert.

I completely agree with you that they're not treating the Central American people with more condescension than they treat folks in the U.S.

However, when you go into places that the States and others in the rich white world have routinely treated high-handedly and with condescension, then I think you have a special duty not to do so lest you increase the evil  that people have already experienced. Ethical treatment in such cases demands absolutely full respect, in my opinion. Frankly, I think that would be especially clear to Christians, since Christ said the equivalent of it numerous times, seems to me. 

And I do agree that these ignoramuses don't know any better and, in that sense, their hearts -- currently -- are in the right place.

But Derick's a college-educated man who is pretty well steeped in missionary work, and Jill's now an adult woman who aspires to know all about  Christian morals. So I think it's time they gave some thought to what's actually required and stop the selfish and pharisaical crap. I'm not a Christian, but even I know that, with spirit, you reach out to other people and their interests, not give half-assed "art" performances that are all about what you're comfortable with -- and proud of, apparently, although I can't imagine how -- from your own insular experience. Since the guy who runs these "missions" has refused to learn any better, though, and obviously does nothing but pander to the prejudices of the people who pay him for mission-cations, unfortunately they're not going to learn this from him.

I'm not writing off their ability to figure this out, but they're now adults claiming the right to tell the world how to live, so they'd better start figuring. In a way, I'd give Jill a better chance of having this dawn on her than Derick. I do think that Jill's exhibited some empathy here and there, at least for her little siblings, for example, even though the Duggars as a group are incredibly empathy-challenged. Given the cat incident, I don't have a lot of faith in Derick having any empathy at all. And empathy is required. I hope Jill gets to really  know some local people during this stay, because I think maybe that could shake loose some of the cold-ass Duggar crap inside her and let in a different kind of light. At this point, it doesn't look very likely, though, since she seems to be relegated to taking care of Izzy while Mr. Crush-the-Cat does half-assed interpretive dance to help a bunch of U.S. college students build their no doubt already super-inflated egos.

Doesn't anybody in the "missionary" crowd see the bored and baffled looks of the local people who've been assigned to watch this nonsense? If they did, I don't see how they could imagine that they're showing care or communicating anything to anyone.

Jill is living the wild life with Derick as her headship. Christian rock and everything! Seriously, though, Gothard does teach that it has a demonic beat so I wonder what Jill thinks now.

I wonder, too. I keep hoping that, if she has enough little assumption-jarring experiences like this, she can experience at least a bit of change and see that there's more to the world than what her idiot parents have told her.

• Love 7

ETA: I see someone has tried. Still ridiculous to me. Because Jesus can "cure" mental illness and addiction? Give me a fucking break.

Apparently Jesus cannot cure "greed for money" either, based on what we see from the Duggars.

• Love 20

I'm not watching, no way.  After reading the comments my sympathies to those saw it.  It sounds to me that they are actually trying to cure what their own beliefs did to them.  I can't help but remember the Jill/Jessa interview where they said they knew ALOT of families - this sort of thing (molesting) happens to and much worse.  So maybe they feel a need to try and rescue people from what their own lifestyle does to them - only they pretend it happens to 'others'.

I was watching The Stewarts and The Hamiltons the other night and Kimberly Stewart, her half-sister Ruby and brother Sean went on a mission trip to Haiti. They actually HELPED and did something to help the orphans, they brought seeds and helped to set up a garden for the kids to take care of. Now this is mission work NOT what Derick and Jill are doing.

• Love 4

One of our local churches had a mission group that just returned from a short term trip, I think to Haiti. The airline they used (newspaper article didn't say which one) didn't charge them for suitcases of supplies that went thru as checked baggage. They used the money they saved from not being charged to buy more supplies for the church/building they were helping build. Another article focused on a sewing group that are making "pillowcase dresses" for mission groups to take with them to give out to younger girls. These examples are what I think of when I hear about mission groups - not skits.

• Love 3

Hearing the background, I can almost see what they were going for. If this is actually a popular secular band that's crossed over into their territory, they may feel as if performing the same skit is going to help them make religion sexier or more hip or relevant to young people. I don't think they recognize how different their parameters are, but at least this makes a little bit of sense.

OK I just watched half of this.  The first guy in the purple seemed just as nutty as the rest of them, in fact he's the one that started this whole dance that looks like some drug induced hallucination thing going on.  

• Love 3