Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

The guy down front with a native child on his "lap" - the one pointing at the camera - looks remarkably like a Waller - one of TFWD's sibs?

Only the flaming Waller has flaming hair. His brothers have a square jawed, anodyne look. Edited by Kokapetl

Derrick's recent post makes my blood boil. They have shown their true colors when he uses phrases like "white, blue eyed baby". Really? You smug a**hole. He now rivals Josh in his smugness.

Why don't they use their own money and provide some actual care?

I don't see what's wrong with mentioning that. It is more than normal that people get curious about people with appearances that are very uncommon in a certain geographical area, especially babies!! All babies are cute, but an exotic baby is a whole different ball park!!

• Love 3
(edited)

And then look at the photo of the missionary "temps." They're probably single, but other than that I find their role here even more puzzling than J and D's role. They may not have any children they should be at home raising, but they look like they're attending a sorority picnic, not carrying out any kind of "mission" at all. I'd really like to see a clear statement of what the group's intention is in bringing in these short-timer groups. What, if anything, are the missiontemps intended to accomplish for the locals, and what, if anything, are they supposed to take back to the states from the experience? I understand it when it's a working mission, but when it's a "teaching"??? mission like this, I just don't get it.

In my humble opinion, the type of missionary Jilly muffin and the D are on, is the fundy equivalent of going backpacking or "traveling " while in college, maybe doing an internship or exchange somewhere exotic... It's more like an excuse for a fun trip than anything else. And of course to boost their egos!! They may be officially purposing to to do mission but the true purpose of the trip is more of a vacay and exploring the world...

Edited by Nutella
  • Love 8

I think of the Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists, who are converting by talk all over the globe, and I'm thinking --  How the heck do they do that? Surely Utah doesn't hold enough Mormons who speak each of the world's languages sufficiently to talk theology for them to be active on every continent. Yet there they are.

Crap. Now I'm going to have to start reading books about missionaries. Too much stuff on my reading list already.

As a Mormon, I will help you out so you don't have to read all that!

Every Mormon young man from all over the world who applies for a mission gets assigned to a place to serve. Anywhere. 

Our English speaking missionaries who get called to serve in foreign language areas go to a special training to learn to speak that language.  I just had missionaries over for dinner today and they are serving a Spanish speaking mission here in my state, USA. They went to Mexico for a few months to be immersed in the language. They are both very fluent, actually. 

Sometimes there are missionaries from other parts of the world who come to the USA. One of my favorite missionaries was from Spain and he had to have special training to speak English and serve in the US. He didn't speak any English prior and he spoke like a native after a few months. 

So Mormon missionaries criss cross all over the place and somehow mangage to learn the language very quickly. 

• Love 4

I just want to thank GEML for the Trixie Belden shout-out. That's also where I heard about the blue-eyed parent thing. And I was so sad to find it wasn't always true. That, and in high school I was told that my mom and dad would have to have had at least 100 kids to get the "expected" number of brown-eyed kids. One of my mom's big disappointments. My mom had hazel eyes, my dad brown, but, other than my older sister with green eyes, the rest (3) of us all have blue eyes.

I'm a really REALLY philosophically opposed to evangelism. It's very creepy to me and reminds me of the penultimate scene in the movie Freaks.

• Love 4

I don't see what's wrong with mentioning that. It is more than normal that people get curious about people with appearances that are very uncommon in a certain geographical area, especially babies!! All babies are cute, but an exotic baby is a whole different ball park!!

Their baby is also a remarkably large baby.

I think Jillard could've gone to Japan and experienced the same response to their baby, especially if he has grown some platinum blonde hair.

• Love 2

Of course Jilly Muff would never find herself questioning why there are so many orphans.

I doubt Jill's even read a wikipedia entry on El Salvador or central America. I mean, they need Jesus, what's to know?

I'm glad they're out of Jimcehlle's clutches (as much as they can be, anyway), but this really is the worst kind of missionary help.

Medical with specialty doctors and nurses

And dangerously undertrained midwives, I'd say.

• Love 9
(edited)

I doubt Jill's even read a wikipedia entry on El Salvador or central America. I mean, they need Jesus, what's to know?

I'm glad they're out of Jimcehlle's clutches (as much as they can be, anyway), but this really is the worst kind of missionary help.

And dangerously undertrained midwives, I'd say.

Was it ever mentioned here that while Jill was in labour, she made a "visit to her podiatrist", who happened to be in the same building as the (implausible) Zumba studio of the de-registered midwife Venessa? Because she did. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

Their baby is also a remarkably large baby.

I think Jillard could've gone to Japan and experienced the same response to their baby, especially if he has grown some platinum blonde hair.

This, for sure...we were stationed in Guam when my youngest was between 18 months and 3 years old. He didn't even have blue eyes, but was a very blond and very cute (IMO) toddler. When we were in the more "touristy" areas with an influx of Japanese visitors, we would routinely get asked whether they could get a photo of him.

• Love 1

Was it ever mentioned here that while Jill was in labour, she made a "visit to her podiatrist", who happened to be in the same building as the (implausible) Zumba studio of the de-registered midwife Venessa? Because she did.

ok, you got me. Why would she go see her podiatrist while in labor?
  • Love 1

Jill's Facebook status on July 19 links to a post letting readers know "how you can pray for us." I just want to smack her (and I'm a Christian).

She probably typed "How you can PAY for us" and the phone autocorrected to pray.
  • Love 24

I thought it was a chrio, so she'd be in alignment.

I remember her saying this.

Wondering what Derick will do once the mission trip is over? Can they use the money that they have received to live on if he doesn't find a job?

• Love 1

When my sister lived for a year in Japan, she must have been too old to be cute. She's blonde (the one with green eyes), 5'6", and she said she couldn't enter a clothing or shoe store without the proprietor running to shoo her out saying "Too big.Too big!" 

• Love 3

I just watched Jill and Derrick's wedding rehearsal dinner. Dan (Derrick's brother) gave a speech. WHAT is wrong with Dan's face? His eyes are too deep set and way too close together. His cheekbones are sunken. His lips are curled tightly around his teeth when he spoke. This has nothing to do with good looks or looking homely. It's more like he has a deformity or some syndrome.

(edited)

To be tactful, I don't think the Dillard boys are members of the genetically blessed club. Israel seems to be taking after Jill in the face thus far, so he may have dodged a bullet.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

When my sister lived for a year in Japan, she must have been too old to be cute. She's blonde (the one with green eyes), 5'6", and she said she couldn't enter a clothing or shoe store without the proprietor running to shoo her out saying "Too big.Too big!"

Japanese culture likes infantilized things, and nothing is more infantile than an infant.  

Jill in the early episodes was quite homely, IMO. Buck teeth, frizzy hair, bad posture. https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m39c4cSD7F1r8mb1io3_500.jpg

Her "tooth to gum ratio" is pretty bad.

I just watched Jill and Derrick's wedding rehearsal dinner. Dan (Derrick's brother) gave a speech. WHAT is wrong with Dan's face? His eyes are too deep set and way too close together. His cheekbones are sunken. His lips are curled tightly around his teeth when he spoke. This has nothing to do with good looks or looking homely. It's more like he has a deformity or some syndrome.

He's Derick in blonde, the way his facial hair blends in with his skin is not a good look.

Why? What's wrong with requesting prayer?

Well, it doesn't work, but if prayers did work, she wouldn't need any. What reason does she have to ask people to petition God to prioritize her?
  • Love 5

Well, it doesn't work, but if prayers did work, she wouldn't need any. What reason does she have to ask people to petition God to prioritize her?

For many of us, prayer does work. Neither is prayer about asking God to prioritize your needs above others. There isn't anything wrong with Jill (or anybody for that matter) asking for prayer.

• Love 8

I agree that prayer does work, but for this family the main point is always What can you do for US?

And has it ever occurred to you that if you're looking for Duggar support this forum ain't it?

To be tactful, I don't think the Dillard boys are members of the genetically blessed club. Israel seems to be taking after Jill in the face thus far, so he may have dodged a bullet.

On the contrary (only my opinion of course) Izzy is not winning any Mr Genetically Blessed contests anytime soon. And that's not only going by photos of his parents.

• Love 7
(edited)

It's the "how you can pray for us" that makes me itchy. I have no problem at all with "please pray for us." 

But every time I've seen somebody say "how" in that context -- and send me to a different web page -- the prayer also seems to involve sending cash. So it seems disingenuous. I actually don't even have a problem with people requesting cash for their good cause. But I think it's only right to make exactly clear to potential givers what the cash will be used for. And to keep it clear that prayer and cash aren't the same thing. (Although the Supreme Court may disagree with me there. heh)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
(edited)
And has it ever occurred to you that if you're looking for Duggar support this forum ain't it?

Meh. If someone wants to fangirl over the Duggars, to each their own. And I'm saying that as someone who utterly loathes the Duggars and everything they stand for. It only bugs me when fans go, "OMG you guys are too mean!! Why are you so mean? Why do you spend so much time talking about the Duggars if you hate them??" etc. Which has happened before.

And what good is a little prayer if there isn't some way to monetize it? /s

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 12

I wish there was a way to see how much Jill and Derick are profiting off of their "Ministry" via donations. You'd think they'd proudly display the amount on their website. *Eye Roll*

You can tell by the shoes and baby gear how much they've taken in.
  • Love 4

It's the "how you can pray for us" that makes me itchy. I have no problem at all with "please pray for us." 

But every time I've seen somebody say "how" in that context -- and send me to a different web page -- the prayer also seems to involve sending cash. So it seems disingenuous. I actually don't even have a problem with people requesting cash for their good cause. But I think it's only right to make exactly clear to potential givers what the cash will be used for. And to keep it clear that prayer and cash aren't the same thing. (Although the Supreme Court may disagree with me there. heh)

I also have to say it makes me tilt my head to the side when I'm told how to pray for someone. I find prayer to be a very personal matter. When friends have asked for prayers I don't always take the same approach. Sometimes I take time to meditate before I offer my prayer, fast for a few days, or read my scriptures and then offer a prayer. It all depends on the guidance from the Spirit for me. 

Also, are the Dills really only staying in El Salvador for a month? Why on earth would Derrick quit his job over a one-month exploit?! 

• Love 7

Why on earth would Derrick quit his job over a one-month exploit?!

Probably because Walmart corporate wasn't going to keep him on. Could you imagine having Derrick on your work team and having to constantly cover for him while he's off speaking her or visiting there?

• Love 7
(edited)

Also, are the Dills really only staying in El Salvador for a month? Why on earth would Derrick quit his job over a one-month exploit?! 

A month? It must be longer, because they have the monthly donation set up.. Plus, the firm is planning visits and it would seem strange  if they were there for a short time. Or maybe they are moving to a different location after this? It's grifting at it's finest either way.

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 2

I also have to say it makes me tilt my head to the side when I'm told how to pray for someone. I find prayer to be a very personal matter. When friends have asked for prayers I don't always take the same approach. Sometimes I take time to meditate before I offer my prayer, fast for a few days, or read my scriptures and then offer a prayer. It all depends on the guidance from the Spirit for me. 

Apologies if I missed it- but seriously? A month? That was their big ' extended mission trip?" LMAO

GO figure. I really thought they would stay for at least 3 months, since they made a whole big freaking ordeal out of it

UGH these people are legitimately delusional.

• Love 3
(edited)

I also have to say it makes me tilt my head to the side when I'm told how to pray for someone. I find prayer to be a very personal matter. When friends have asked for prayers I don't always take the same approach.

Exactly.

Also -- How do we know that they're only staying a month? I don't remember seeing any evidence about the length of their stay.

Edited by Churchhoney

This is the Jill, Derick and Israel topic. This is not the place to discuss how/why to pray. Nor is it a place to debate whether prayer is or is not valid. It is also not the place to discuss fans of the family and/or haters. It's a place to talk about the Dillards. If need be, some posts may be deleted.

• Love 9

Exactly.

Also -- How do we know that they're only staying a month? I don't remember seeing any evidence about the length of their stay.

I could have sworn someone posted one of their blog posts and it stated they were 2 and a half weeks into their one month stay. If I can find it I'll put it up. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I believe that rumor came from this blog - livinglifeforchristalone.blogspot.com/2015/07/mission-trip-update-sos-july-2015.html?m=1 (link broken just in case).

Note that Derick and Jill did NOT write this blog, nor are they in any way affiliated with the owner.  There's a team in El Salvador right now doing a one month mission, but we don't know whether Derick and Jill are part of that team, how long they're staying, or what their roles are with SOS Ministries. It's possible that El Salvador is just a stopgap for them until their next destination or maybe they got hired as full-time staff members to help oversee the other missions. Derick said in his own blog that the opportunity they took was for "long-term work" and I think most of us will agree that one month falls more into the short-term category.  You'd have to be a real idiot to try to convince people otherwise. Not that the Duggars haven't lied or stretched the truth in the past, but in this case, I don't really see WHY Derick and Jill would go through all the trouble if they knew they'd be back in a month.

Edited by Mariva
  • Love 4
(edited)

Oh crap. I'm going to Japan next summer and I'm a 5'9" American of Slavic & Norse descent. I fully expect to be yelled out of several places in Japan now for being too big!!!

I don't think it's weird at all that people are commenting on the baby's blue eyes, etc since it's nor particularly common in many parts of Central America. I am VERY fair and I've had people comment on it or stare at me in several places, including among some communities in the US. My cousin who is also very fair with light eyes and golden hair had people ask to touch his hair and stop and stare at him on a recent trip to India. It's easy to think that people are admiring or stunned by the beauty of fair hair/eyes/hair, but IMO, it's often just that it's different if not down right freaky to see someone so different looking in the flesh. Since it's rude to say "I've never seen such a freaky looking baby with those blue eyes" people will often just say the eyes or other attribute of the person being stared at is beautiful to be polite when people notice they're staring. People are generally too polite - especially if you're a missionary or tourist - to call you a freak to your face.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 3

I believe that rumor came from this blog - livinglifeforchristalone.blogspot.com/2015/07/mission-trip-update-sos-july-2015.html?m=1 (link broken just in case).

Note that Derick and Jill did NOT write this blog, nor are they in any way affiliated with the owner.  There's a team in El Salvador right now doing a one month mission, but we don't know whether Derick and Jill are part of that team, how long they're staying, or what their roles are with SOS Ministries. It's possible that El Salvador is just a stopgap for them until their next destination or maybe they got hired as full-time staff members to help oversee the other missions. Derick said in his own blog that the opportunity they took was for "long-term work" and I think most of us will agree that one month falls more into the short-term category.  You'd have to be a real idiot to try to convince people otherwise. Not that the Duggars haven't lied or stretched the truth in the past, but in this case, I don't really see WHY Derick and Jill would go through all the trouble if they knew they'd be back in a month.

Thanks. That makes more sense, I think.

Mental note not to go into any clothes or shoe stores if i ever get to Japan. I'm 5'8'' with size 10 shoes and sadly, a long way from thin. I will avoid the embarrassment of being shooed out!

I would be very surprised if the mission trip was only a month. My guess is at least 3-4 months or more, but we'll see. I am wondering if they will continue to do a bunch of short stints, planned around each pregnancy, so Jill can give birth in the US now that she's high risk.

• Love 3

Both my parents and all of us kids had blonde hair and blue eyes(mine are green now). People were always making comments about our hair color.

My sister has a friend who lived in South Korea with her husband and kids after he was transferred there for business. Both the kids had blonde hair and blue eyes. The locals often asked to touch the kids hair and/or take pictures of them.

People with blonde hair are in the minority, especially in places like India, Asia, Central/South America, etc. and are a curiosity.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yep, tall blonde and blue eyed nephew spent time in Beijing, and the locals took pics with him and would reach out and stroke him.

Izzy's also sticking out because he's so big. And...unusual-looking.

Edited by Flowers
  • Love 2

My family all has red hair. Once we left WV, we have always been commented on. Our local PA paper did an article on us, we stood out so much.

I think Derick's comment was inartful, but he's an accountant, and a lot of accountants don't have savvy communication skills. (I have savvy communication skills, but my husband does the taxes.)

• Love 4
(edited)

My family all has red hair. Once we left WV, we have always been commented on. Our local PA paper did an article on us, we stood out so much.

I think Derick's comment was inartful, but he's an accountant, and a lot of accountants don't have savvy communication skills. (I have savvy communication skills, but my husband does the taxes.)

The bolded reminds me of a time when my Acctg Supe asked me to email a couple of people.  After I sent it he came out with a shocked looked on his face.  He said that it was very blunt. But hey, I wrote what needed to be said, lol!  Any messages after, I had to go over and sugar coat before hitting the send button.

Saw this pic on Pickles.

11811543_778674395564705_119666250610122

Edited by abseedee
  • Love 1

Oh crap. I'm going to Japan next summer and I'm a 5'9" American of Slavic & Norse descent. I fully expect to be yelled out of several places in Japan now for being too big!!!

You should be fine if you stay in the cities, because at this point they're used to it. Speciality shops might be a different story though.