Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

If they are both blue, then Israel will almost certainly be blue. TRIXIE BELDEN AND THE MYSTERIOUS VISITOR taught me that. Which might be a more advanced novel than Jill has ever read, alas.

• Love 17

GEML, that's exactly where I learned that information about blue eyes too! I loved those books growing up. Funny the things that stick with us.

. Good ole Trixie. Good thing for books and Schoolhouse Rock growing up!
  • Love 1

So the Dullards are in another country on somebody else's dime begging for more donations so they can help the poor.  Alright, I get it, but now I'm wondering - they're asking for people's social security numbers and driver's license numbers, WTF?  Makes me think the Dullards and or the Duggars are planning some type of escape from some of their problems using other people's  ID, just my opinion, of course they wouldn't do that.

• Love 2

Alright, I get it, but now I'm wondering - they're asking for people's social security numbers and driver's license numbers, WTF? 

No one has confirmed that they are actually doing that- because to see what they are asking for someone would need to donate.

I agree with the people who say it is boilerplate language from the company; information 'of that type' is being asked for.  It doesn't mean ALL that information is being asked for.  But since I'm not donating, I can't confirm.

• Love 6

I refuse to dig too deeply myself, so I've never seen the page. I still think if it exists, it's to follow through pledges to the fullest extent legally. Remember how if you wrote a check you had to put your driver's license number on it? I think it's more like that. Still sketchy, since I've done this for nearly 20 years, and that's NOT the norm for online donations, but hey - look at the people they hang with (Hovind) and perhaps given the clientele they expect donations from..... (She ends speculatively....)

• Love 1

The webform doesn't actually ask for that type of information, just the usual stuff. I didn't click on "Finalize" to make a gift, so maybe they ask there, but I'd doubt it. Most reputable organizations don't keep that info any longer due to security concerns.

• Love 2

The webform doesn't actually ask for that type of information, just the usual stuff. I didn't click on "Finalize" to make a gift, so maybe they ask there, but I'd doubt it. Most reputable organizations don't keep that info any longer due to security concerns.

Agreed. As far as I can tell, nobody has been able to show that they are actually asking for this information. The only thing we can point to is boilerplate language where "Social Security number" and "drivers' license number" are used in a long list of items to illustrate the definition of a term.  There may be sketchy things going on with the trip, but I don't think collecting SSNs and DL numbers are one of them.

• Love 1

If they are both blue, then Israel will almost certainly be blue. TRIXIE BELDEN AND THE MYSTERIOUS VISITOR taught me that. Which might be a more advanced novel than Jill has ever read, alas.

There are not enough likes to describe how much I learned from Trixie Belden...

Maybe Jill can get hold of some of them.

• Love 4

Jill looks like she combed her hair!

Her outfit is still frumpy, but who would have guessed that moving away from all the comforts of home would make her take better care of herself?

(edited)

all the others in the last pic all seem like they are friends and are mugging for the camera, arms around each other, huddle together - and there off to the side are Derrick and Jill; like they just plopped into the picture .

Edited by tobysmom
  • Love 2

Jill looks like she combed her hair!

Her outfit is still frumpy, but who would have guessed that moving away from all the comforts of home would make her take better care of herself?

Perhaps she finally feels free. This distance from her family may have taken a weight off her. Derrick looks a bit better, too.

• Love 2
(edited)

all the others in the last pic all seem like they are friends and are mugging for the camera, arms around each other, huddle together - and there off to the side are Derrick and Jill; like they just plopped into the picture .

So maybe the others are one of the church/local groups that came for a really short-term "mission" and Jill and Derick are semi-members of the staff, or something, maybe assigned to help the group out, or something?

I'm really confused about what they do and about what this group does. I'm only familiar with missions in which people build houses, dig wells and provide dentistry and such and this doesn't appear to be one of those. What exactly does this group that J and D are a part of (???) do? Does its staff mainly manage the U.S. visitors? And what's the aim for the visiting U.S. groups? Encouragement for them to raise money to help the local villages after they go back to the U.S.? Just general consciousness raising? Or what?

I assume that the mission group also runs the "conferences" and such for locals and does the other stuff they mention such as visiting schools and so on. But I'm still confused about that, too. It looks like mainly talk-conversion -- but I only gather that from some vague statements on their website -- so I assume that the actual on-site staff must have spectacular language skills, since I don't see how you talk people into joining your religion without that.... especially if you're trying to convince somebody to be Protestant and not Catholic, as they must be doing to some extent here. That's kind of a subtle thing, no? ... And, of course, then there's D and J -- Do they actually have the language skills to do this? Or are they doing some actual tangible services instead? Or just working with the other visiting U.S. people?

This talk-conversion thing really baffles me. I know it's been going on for centuries, but I haven't paid much attention to it so I'm really confused about how it works. I think of the Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists, who are converting by talk all over the globe, and I'm thinking --  How the heck do they do that? Surely Utah doesn't hold enough Mormons who speak each of the world's languages sufficiently to talk theology for them to be active on every continent. Yet there they are.

Crap. Now I'm going to have to start reading books about missionaries. Too much stuff on my reading list already.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

How the heck do they do that? Surely Utah doesn't hold enough Mormons who speak each of the world's languages sufficiently to talk theology for them to be active on every continent.

It's not Utah- it's basically every about to graduate high school Mormon around the world who dreams of getting called to a mission trip.  So some missions in other countries are FROM the other countries.

My friend's son (here in Iowa) served in Japan, before he went, he did go to Utah for 3 (6?) months for an intensive Japanese study course. Their other children served in the states, so their learn to be a missionary course was MUCH shorter- I think like 2 weeks, but I could be totally wrong.

• Love 2

Don't force me to hug you!

• Love 1
(edited)

It's not Utah- it's basically every about to graduate high school Mormon around the world who dreams of getting called to a mission trip.  So some missions in other countries are FROM the other countries.

Oh, I get it. Thanks. Everybody needed an excellent foreign language back when the missionary work started, but once you've got non-native speakers already, you don't need to fully train up and import so many people from the U.S. any more. ....

Still don't see how even a super-intensive six-month language course prepares you to initiate conversations about these very subtle subjects, but of course you could pair people up with a native speaker in at least some cases.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

but of course you could pair people up with a native speaker in at least some cases.

I don't think they do that, because they meet their mission partner in training.  Maybe foreign missionaries still come to Utah for training? That seems inefficient, but I'm not LDS so I don't know.

I think they are masters at teaching language- so you learn enough to live there, and enough to teach the lessons. Plus I think they tend to avoid people who ask really hard questions. The missionaries I've talked to circle back to "read the book" and "pray hard about it" a lot.

• Love 3

Where'd you find these?

Mr light blue North American shirt looks angry.

LOL the three red heads in the front. What Hams. 

I really want to know how they are spending their days. And donations. LOL

• Love 4

LOL the three red heads in the front. What Hams.

I really want to know how they are spending their days. And donations. LOL

Well the ginger trio are spending theirs on hair product, and fortnightly visits to the salon.
  • Love 3

I don't think they do that, because they meet their mission partner in training.  Maybe foreign missionaries still come to Utah for training? That seems inefficient, but I'm not LDS so I don't know.

LDS missionaries that are assigned foreign language missions in the US or abroad spend an additional few weeks (depends on difficulty of the language) at the Missionary Training Center (MTC) to be taught the language of the people they will serve. They also learn about the customs and culture of the people.  

Most missionaries through study and prayer become very adept at the languages they need to learn. Many family members and friends of mine have come back from foreign language missions speaking, reading, and writing their respective languages as well as or better than people who have studied the language for years. Not saying that to brag, just relating my own personal experiences. 

Also, missionaries from countries other than the US don't always go to the MTC in Utah. There are other Missionary Training Centers around the world so missionaries report to the one closest to them. 

Growing up with this concept of missionary work is why I'm perplexed by missions like the Dills are on. Our missionaries are always single or senior couples (in their late 50s or older) so their only focus is on sharing the Gospel and serving the people. They are also very well-prepared and able to finance their missions on their own. The idea of a young, married couple with an infant going on a mission is just odd to me. During this "season of life" their sole focus should be on raising their family and sustaining the Gospel effort at home. It doesn't seem like they've given much thought to that. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I think that's because they come from an entirely different mindset. This type of evangelicism is normal in their circles. 

Churchhoney, I am about 99% sure that the Dullards are working for SOS Ministries. I posted their "mission" statement here before, but they basically hold meetings, services, and apparently can go into schools to evangelicize. Nothing mentioned about digging wells, building houses or schools, or helping with medical supplies/services. Direct quote:

"Depending on the trip you go on, we will focus on presenting and sharing the gospel of Christ through house visits, village ministry, caring for orphans, public school ministry, and conferences for women, youth, and children."

This also gives the minimum age of voluntourists as 10, so that's not a Duggar thing; it's SOS protocol. 

http://www.soshope.org/serve-overseas/

http://www.soshope.org/what-to-expect/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)

Growing up with this concept of missionary work is why I'm perplexed by missions like the Dills are on. Our missionaries are always single or senior couples (in their late 50s or older) so their only focus is on sharing the Gospel and serving the people. They are also very well-prepared and able to finance their missions on their own. The idea of a young, married couple with an infant going on a mission is just odd to me. During this "season of life" their sole focus should be on raising their family and sustaining the Gospel effort at home. It doesn't seem like they've given much thought to that. 

And then look at the photo of the missionary "temps." They're probably single, but other than that I find their role here even more puzzling than J and D's role. They may not have any children they should be at home raising, but they look like they're attending a sorority picnic, not carrying out any kind of "mission" at all. I'd really like to see a clear statement of what the group's intention is in bringing in these short-timer groups. What, if anything, are the missiontemps intended to accomplish for the locals, and what, if anything, are they supposed to take back to the states from the experience? I understand it when it's a working mission, but when it's a "teaching"??? mission like this, I just don't get it.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
(edited)

I thought that was Schadt, but not 100% sure. :p

eta: The Seewalds' blog might still have daughter Jessica's "diary" installment from her voluntourism trip with the Duggars and SOS last December. They intended to serialize it, but she came off so snotty and entitled that they never posted Part 2. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

I thought that was Schadt, but not 100% sure. :p

eta: The Seewalds' blog might still have daughter Jessica's "diary" installment from her voluntourism trip with the Duggars and SOS last December. They intended to serialize it, but she came off so snotty and entitled that they never posted Part 2.

Yeah. Jessica's blog made Kylie Jenner seem unspoiled and grounded in comparison. Although in a weird way I appreciated that she kept it real and didn't portray a visit to a third world crap hole as "neat" "challenging" or "exciting."

• Love 6

I think that's because they come from an entirely different mindset. This type of evangelicism is normal in their circles. 

Churchhoney, I am about 99% sure that the Dullards are working for SOS Ministries. I posted their "mission" statement here before, but they basically hold meetings, services, and apparently can go into schools to evangelicize. Nothing mentioned about digging wells, building houses or schools, or helping with medical supplies/services. Direct quote:

"Depending on the trip you go on, we will focus on presenting and sharing the gospel of Christ through house visits, village ministry, caring for orphans, public school ministry, and conferences for women, youth, and children."

This also gives the minimum age of voluntourists as 10, so that's not a Duggar thing; it's SOS protocol. 

http://www.soshope.org/serve-overseas/

http://www.soshope.org/what-to-expect/

There's more info about the type of mission work they do on the 'What to Expect' link:

1.  Team Purpose:

To present and share the Gospel of Christ

Medical Clinics and Attention (including relief work, nutrition and food pantry ministry)

Teach English as a Second Language

Train, encourage, and work with indigenous pastors and missionaries

Minister to Orphans: Supply orphanage with cleaning supplies, clothes, food, toys, etc.; Engage in project: construct a playground, etc.; Special events:  Christmas party, hold party on indigenous holiday, etc.; Come and play with them, hold them, love them!; Actually adopt them!; Have “Adopt an Orphan” Ministry- We need volunteers to spearhead this ministry; Minister the Word to them; bring Christian literature, Bibles, resources for older ones (tapes, films, etc.)

2.  Team Tools:

Dramas, puppets, tracts, Christian literature, Bibles

School ministry, public village ministry, house to house visitation

Building Relationships and sharing the person and work of Christ

Equipping and Training

Conferences and seminars (for pastors, women, youth)

Construction projects

Medical with specialty doctors and nurses

So you can take it for what it's worth or not, but SOS Ministries is claiming they do more than just hand out tracts and preach to the locals. 

• Love 1

There's more info about the type of mission work they do on the 'What to Expect' link:

1.  Team Purpose:

To present and share the Gospel of Christ

Medical Clinics and Attention (including relief work, nutrition and food pantry ministry)

Teach English as a Second Language

Train, encourage, and work with indigenous pastors and missionaries

Minister to Orphans: Supply orphanage with cleaning supplies, clothes, food, toys, etc.; Engage in project: construct a playground, etc.; Special events:  Christmas party, hold party on indigenous holiday, etc.; Come and play with them, hold them, love them!; Actually adopt them!; Have “Adopt an Orphan” Ministry- We need volunteers to spearhead this ministry; Minister the Word to them; bring Christian literature, Bibles, resources for older ones (tapes, films, etc.)

2.  Team Tools:

Dramas, puppets, tracts, Christian literature, Bibles

School ministry, public village ministry, house to house visitation

Building Relationships and sharing the person and work of Christ

Equipping and Training

Conferences and seminars (for pastors, women, youth)

Construction projects

Medical with specialty doctors and nurses

So you can take it for what it's worth or not, but SOS Ministries is claiming they do more than just hand out tracts and preach to the locals. 

Well, that's good news.

(edited)

Lol, "Adopt an Orphan" like it's one of those weekend events at PetSmart or something.

At this point, Nicaragua should be flush in playgrounds and new schools, yet Schott's set-up is little more than a dilapidated warehouse. What exactly do these people accomplish when they're down there? A carpenter can throw together a swingset in a weekend, it doesn't require a month long stay subsidized by love offerings.

The whole thing sounds like some ridiculous after school daycare program.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 24

Where'd you find these?

Mr light blue North American shirt looks angry.

The guy down front with a native child on his "lap" - the one pointing at the camera - looks remarkably like a Waller - one of TFWD's sibs?

• Love 1

After building the TTH all the Duggars have cursory construction skills. When they visit J & D, they could whip up a play area in no time. Or rows of benches for a school area. And of course Jill could give up her chalkboards.

• Love 1