Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

I've made lump sum donations to UNICEF, and I sponsor a child through World Vision, which is a monthly payment. No credit check, or license number needed - we don't have SS # where I live. I've also been helping set up the donation page for the foundation of the hospital I work for, and protecting people's privacy is paramount.

The Dillards donation page is really dodgy if they're asking for any more details than the name, number and expiry date of the card you're using to donate.

Hmm Derick doesn't know the difference between here and hear? Derick's over all writing style is horrible. Many of the posters here had to ask what the heck he was trying to say!

Not defending Derick's horrible writing skills, or trying to start a fight (I normally agree with you),but I have noticed a lot of posts on this forum where people are consistently messing up there/their, and your/you're. It drives me mad, but I just twitch a little and move on.

edited for misplaced comma.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 5

They think it is funny now but the locals wanting to see Izz will get really annoying.  My best friend went to Japan years ago with her younger sister who was about 7 at the time.  EVERYONE wanted to say hi and touch her hair because they were obsessed with how cute she was with the blonde ringlets and baby blue eyes.  The attention got old quite quickly!

The whole blog post comes across as very holier-than-thou with the evangelizing and souls given to the Lord.  I find it crazy that they are asking people to hand over money and personal information (don't know how Social Security works but I can't imagine it is needed) without saying where they are.  They still haven't said where they are and where all this cash is going.  I said this before but a genuine charity would explain where the money goes - during the Oxfam Nepal Appeal, they had a whole article explaining exactly what the donations were going towards, water for this refugee camp, blankets for this region.  Apart from the fact that I wouldn't ever donate to the Duggars, I wouldn't donate to a charity that isn't transparent about the use of funds.  

• Love 6

Derick's air of superiority referencing his blue-eyed white baby is unbecoming a missionary. What the people of El Salvador could benefit from is more help with housing, infrastructure, schools, and medical care. Unless they can offer some practical aid, which doesn't seem to be the case, Derick and Jill are serving little purpose -to use one of the Duggars' favorite words.

• Love 22

Derrick's recent post makes my blood boil. They have shown their true colors when he uses phrases like "white, blue eyed baby". Really? You smug a**hole. He now rivals Josh in his smugness.

Why don't they use their own money and provide some actual care?

• Love 13
(edited)

Here's a little blurb about the kind of mission work SOS does. There's nothing here about digging wells or building habitable dwellings. I am curious about what they're allowed to do in schools. Can anyone who's been down there be of any assistance? Also note: they call Central America "overseas." *sigh*

http://www.soshope.org/serve-overseas/ 

"Depending on the trip you go on, we will focus on presenting and sharing the gospel of Christ through house visits, village ministry, caring for orphans, public school ministry, and conferences for women, youth, and children."

Seems incredible to me, but what I gather from this passage is that every ministry they do really just amounts to jawboning different groups. And I would guess that a lot of the jawboning is not dissimilar from the hellfire and brimstone stuff that Jessa and Ben do on social media. And this shows people what about Christ, exactly? Seems like it mainly would show them that D and J's God is pretty much all talk and no action. And pretty vengeful -- which I guess is a large part of their belief. Where's that "servant's heart" the Duggs are always blathering about? Missing as usual, even from this enterprise, apparently.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

Derrick's recent post makes my blood boil. They have shown their true colors when he uses phrases like "white, blue eyed baby". Really? You smug a**hole. He now rivals Josh in his smugness.

Well.. isn't he a white, blue eyed baby? I don't understand how that's being smug, to me he's just explaining why the natives want to hold Izzy.

Missionary work is so last century.

What I notice about Jill is her timing. She basically has an entire season devoted to her after she beats Jessa to the alter. She has all the People covers, and a birth episode. She gets the big house. She has her baby just in time to skip town when shit hits the fan.

She's a witch!

• Love 14

In all fairness, Derick DID put the big, blue-eyed, white baby in quotations, suggesting that is how the locals refer to baby Izzy.

• Love 2

I just find it crazy that their purpose seems to be converting people to their religion.  I believe (correct me if I am wrong) El Salvador is 57% Catholic.  Why not go hang out in New York, New Orleans, or El Paso?   They have strong Catholic populations. 

We do not want them here in the NY/NJ Metro area. We are quite happy with the religions we have chosen and do not want to be converted.

• Love 5

Again, as the countries suffered first under the Cold War and now under the drug trade, Catholic Churches were severely persecuted and now cannot even remotely meet the needs of the citizens, especially in rural areas and for young people who have grown up knowing no religion at all. I have zero problem, philosophically, with what they are doing.

Not that I'll be donating.

In my experience, Catholic groups try to help needy populations with food, water, housing, healthcare, etc. They do not try to convert anyone. Huge difference IMHO.

• Love 16

I realize that here in America (although I'm in Ireland) we want to read everything through a racial lens, not everywhere in the world does so. Countries like El Salvador and Nicaragua likely DO call him the "big white blue eyed baby" (and those are also words Jill and Derick are able to understand).

But it was insensitive in his part to mention that to his American audience, because there is no way what is probably a delightful joke where they are could possibly translate here.

• Love 6

Seems like a pretty standard Privacy Policy

I can promise you as one who worked as church staff for many years we never have asked for SSN. Driver's license number is asked only of people who wish to volunteer working with children so we can run a police check. 

• Love 5

I've Been doing fundraising professionally and volunteer for nearly twenty years for every sort of organization and this is just WRONG (haven't looked for myself to verify.)

One thing people may not know is that making a pledge like this is as legally binding as any debt - including a mortgage or credit card. They rank pretty high, actually, in a court and take precedents over other debts in bankruptcy. So what they are doing is making sure they have all information necessary to come after you legally if you do not fulfill your pledge.

I've never seen another non-profit (especially one without full status yet!) be that bold.

• Love 4

I realize that here in America (although I'm in Ireland) we want to read everything through a racial lens, not everywhere in the world does so. Countries like El Salvador and Nicaragua likely DO call him the "big white blue eyed baby" (and those are also words Jill and Derick are able to understand).

But it was insensitive in his part to mention that to his American audience, because there is no way what is probably a delightful joke where they are could possibly translate here.

When I was a missionary in Malaysia some 40+ years ago my colleagues had a little daughter who was very blonde and blue eyed.  Her hair was constantly being touched and remarked upon by the locals.  In her school pictures she definitely stood out in the crowd.  It was just something that happened and no one, to my knowledge, was offended.  Izzy is a cute baby and his hair and eye color is probably just one of the reasons people remark on him.

• Love 2
(edited)

"Depending on the trip you go on, we will focus on presenting and sharing the gospel of Christ through house visits, village ministry, caring for orphans, public school ministry, and conferences for women, youth, and children."

I'm confused. On a practical level, how can a bunch of U.S. missionaries -- most of them temps -- make these presentations and talk substantively about the deep questions and so on that this stuff would seem to entail ... in a Spanish-speaking country.

Of course, plenty of folks there know some English, and I gather that Derick studied Spanish in college and Jill has done some studying. But this organization runs multiple conferences? And pretty much all of their activities seem to involve lengthy complicated conversations with people, including children? Como estas? and Donde esta la comida? aren't going to cut it when the conversation is about the state of your soul or why a church with a pope is a bad idea.  And presumably they're working in rural village areas, where many fewer people likely speak English?

I'm spectacularly bad at spoken-language studies, so perhaps I overestimate the problems here. But how many people from the U.S. would actually have the subtle, comfortable and wide-ranging conversational Spanish skills that I would think are needed to explain to people why independent Baptist theology is preferable to Catholic theology?... Could Derick and/or Jill possibly have Spanish skills that are up to this task? And is this the same mission group that the Duggs-as-a-superfamily have traveled with? Other than Jill, none of them have any Spanish speaking ability at all, do they? Where do nail painting and passing out cheap candy fit into the list of "missions" this group talks about?

Have a very hard time getting my mind around a U.S. mission group -- with lots of short-term missioners -- whose work primarily consists (it seems) of talking.

I've Been doing fundraising professionally and volunteer for nearly twenty years for every sort of organization and this is just WRONG (haven't looked for myself to verify.)

One thing people may not know is that making a pledge like this is as legally binding as any debt - including a mortgage or credit card. They rank pretty high, actually, in a court and take precedents over other debts in bankruptcy. So what they are doing is making sure they have all information necessary to come after you legally if you do not fulfill your pledge.

I've never seen another non-profit (especially one without full status yet!) be that bold.

Oy. So much for "forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors."

That said, my impression is that this is boilerplate language from the overarching group that manages the fund part of the website and not a description of what the Dills are actually asking, themselves, right? Nevertheless, I don't think I've ever seen such language on a nonprofit website, even in that way.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

The newer generations writing style is lazy, I'll admit since texting, and other social media my writing is lazy, I type something quick on my phone and just to lazy or to quick to worry about how it's written. Most of the time it's ur, r u, your 《for everything, lol, bbl, and so on, I can't knock derrick for doing the same thing 99% of our generation does.

》》 my lawyer also a good family friend text me with the same language when he isn't working, again my generation.

• Love 3

Here's a little blurb about the kind of mission work SOS does. There's nothing here about digging wells or building habitable dwellings. I am curious about what they're allowed to do in schools. Can anyone who's been down there be of any assistance? Also note: they call Central America "overseas." *sigh*

http://www.soshope.org/serve-overseas/ 

I have the sinking feeling that J&D are coming back with an orphan of their own. Remember how attached she got to that one girl on a previous mission trip? And the link you provided specifically mentions "Actually Adopt an Orphan!" as one of the ways to minister. It also states that the trips are short-term. I wonder if they are there in a more administrative capacity if they are to be there longer. Like they are houseparents for the short-termers?

(FWIW, I personally have no problem with calling it "overseas". I think it's simply a synonym for "not in the USA." Not literally over a sea. And I'm a pretty literal-minded person.)

• Love 4

The 'Terms and Conditions' seem cut and paste from Cornerstone. Jillard didn't create that.

Is anyone willing to donate and report back on what info it requires?

Donate to self absorb d list uneducated and uunemployed tv stars who have money. No thanks
  • Love 7

I'm sure Derick and Jilly Muff are preaching "no birth control" to poor, already large families, adding more babies to the country's overcrowded orphanages.

I'm sure Jilly Muffin will make sure these women and families have medical care, a nice big home, and food.

Their donation page is disgusting to begin with -- and then they have the nerve to ask for protected indentifying data?!

And anyone who gives them information is an ass

Nyc is very diverse. Too much for the Dillards. The Empire State building is even blue for Muslims.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know where they are, but offering a community safe and updated cooking ability, a safe place for children to play and grow without being targeted and lured by drug cartels and a church to worship in are actually not a small thing, if you were in these rural areas. It would also be a stable base with electricity and clean water for other groups to routinely come through for providing medical care - which may be done by other private groups or even by the state. The thing is, these areas are in such terrible disarray that any place that creates safe have is probably creating a better place than what many of these families are dealing with - many are old men and women and young women and children desperate not to be harmed.

That's not nothing.

I don't know that this is what any of this ministry is, but the facilities seem decent. And the people seem comfortable using them.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 4

In my experience, Catholic groups try to help needy populations with food, water, housing, healthcare, etc. They do not try to convert anyone. Huge difference IMHO.

Former Catholic here: The Catholic Church has its own way of getting followers. A Catholic can marry a non catholic in a Catholic Church only if they agree to raise their children catholic. And the church's numbers are fudged because the "members" of the church are counted from baptism. According to the Vatican, there are no former Catholics because one is a catholic for life (except in the isolated cases of excommunication).

(edited)

I'm sure Derick and Jilly Muff are preaching "no birth control" to poor, already large families, adding more babies to the country's overcrowded orphanages.

If the woman of El Salvador are Catholic they aren't practicing birth control so Jill can be preaching to the choir.

Edited by Fuzzysox

Given the day to day lives of many of those living in rural El Salvador (assuming that's where they are) birth control is the least of their worries. Too many young men are pulled into the drug trade, in prison, or trying to get to the U.S. to find some kind of work to send money home to what is left of their families. All of these paths are extremely dangerous, and the death toll for young ElSalvadoran men is very high. Birth rates have been dropping steadily the past few years.

• Love 6

If the woman of El Salvador are Catholic they aren't practicing birth control so Jill can be preaching to the choir.

Lots of Catholics use birth control. It's one of the most broken rules. I don't know a single Catholic who doesn't use it 

• Love 10

S.O.S. Ministries seems to be more important to the "spiritual life" of the missionaries than to the locals they hope to convert.  I think it reinforces their emotional commitment to their cult and fellow cult members more than it helps any poverty-stricken population.  I can't believe people outside the cult would support that cause.

I am not a Catholic but I support a Catholic mission program in Haiti.  It provides a hospital, medical educational programs, feeding programs, and serves the community in many practical ways.  Isn't that what poor populations need?

• Love 11

To be honest, there is so much re-evaluation right now in any discussion about "what the poor need" that I don't feel comfortable saying X or Y. No matter what you say, some economist or sociologist will tell you that you're wrong, and they will probably have a point. On the other hand, doing nothing while people in these countries suffer terribly while many of us have so much doesn't strike me as "right" either.

So my only answer is to give according to your own conscience to the people you feel are best serving as you can intelligently figure out are doing what you yourself would do.

• Love 7

S.O.S. Ministries seems to be more important to the "spiritual life" of the missionaries than to the locals they hope to convert.  I think it reinforces their emotional commitment to their cult and fellow cult members more than it helps any poverty-stricken population.  I can't believe people outside the cult would support that cause.

I am not a Catholic but I support a Catholic mission program in Haiti.  It provides a hospital, medical educational programs, feeding programs, and serves the community in many practical ways.  Isn't that what poor populations need?

Hell yeah that is what they need!  Imagine going to those people who literally have nothing and have lived lives no human should have to endure and holding their hands and telling them we are going to pray together and God is going to make everything alright.  Unless they can dirt into water or TMC is going to come in and build them a village in order to film a TV show that they will pay them handsomely for....less words, more action!

• Love 4

Lots of Catholics use birth control. It's one of the most broken rules. I don't know a single Catholic who doesn't use it 

I completely understand but these are poor women I doubt they have access to it. 

Birth rates in the poorest countries haven't been dropping by accident. There are quite a few organizations who make this part of their mission (if the women wish it.). The Gates Foundation has been a large financial backer of at least some of these efforts.

Again, it seems obvious that this is a good thing. But there are those who see it as another attempt to colonialism them by trying to reduce birth rates. There have been some countries that have taken altruistic organizations and been coercive with them, controlling women by saying when they can have children and by whom. There is very little that can be done that can't be corrupted or criticized or viewed through a harm vs helpful lens and come up wanting.

Yet what is the alternative? Do nothing at all?

• Love 1
(edited)

So many assumptions in this thread

El Salvador has Universal health care.  In the early 2000's it was in bad shape as a right wing regime wanted to privatize it. Only 60% or so of the people were covered. Now that number is around 85%. It has the lowest birth rate in Latin America. Immunization rates are above 90% and in some cases are higher than in the USA. 73% of women were using birth control as of 2008 . On the human development index it falls into the category of medium.

This is not the El salvador of the 80's... Not that real issues are not still there either.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 17
(edited)

Pickles and Hairspray has old pictures of the last mission trip the Duggars took. From the looks of the pictures they are in the mist of the poorest of the poor. People living in shacks with dirt floors so while they can bible belt all they want, the people that they are trying to minister to really need housing, food and clothing not religious tracks.

Jill and Derick might be staying at the SOS Ministries church/housing building also in the pictures she posted yesterday. Seems really nice in comparison to the shacks the poor villagers live in. I completely agree if your going to ask for money make that money count and start doing good with it.

So many assumptions in this thread

El Salvador has Universal health care. In the early 2000's it was in bad shape as a right wing regime wanted to pricatize it. Only 60% or so of the people were covered. Now that number is around 85%. It has the lowest birth rate in Latin America. Immunization rates are above 90% and in some cases are higher than in the USA. 73% of women were using birth control as of 2008 . On the human development index it falls into the category of medium.

This is not the El salvador of the 80's... Not that real issues are not still there either.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

And if you build homes for the people, it's quite possible the drug cartels will come in and seize them and the government will do nothing to stop them. But if you build nice facilities for those villagers to use in a mission capacity, and Americans are living in them, possibly with armed guards, then the villagers are getting to have access to those amenities safely, and the drug cartels aren't drawn to that location.

Not saying that's the situation, but there's a reason mission groups and multinational corporations aren't investing in El Salvador and Nicaragua.

• Love 3

Last week I put a mod note in asking to end the off topic not related to the Dillards posting. So here is a new reminder. This thread is for the Dillards, and not birth control practices in another country, the dangers of living in another country, health care in El Salvador compared to the U.S., Catholics and other religions in South American countries, or what other missionaries including family and friends have done in other countries. It is to post or discuss what is happening with Derick, Jill, and Izzy. Posts going off on their own little discussion not related to the subject at hand will be edited or hidden at the discretion of the mods. Take the discussion to the Small  Talk Thread or the millions of forums which covers these types of topics in the huge internet world. Thank you.

They overestimate their importance. And yay! The brown people worship the white, male baby! Where have we seen THIS before? Bonus points for the Dullards that Iz is apparently also blue-eyed. Ugh.

They think it is funny now but the locals wanting to see Izz will get really annoying.  My best friend went to Japan years ago with her younger sister who was about 7 at the time.  EVERYONE wanted to say hi and touch her hair because they were obsessed with how cute she was with the blonde ringlets and baby blue eyes.  The attention got old quite quickly!

I think it's natural for people to be interested in babies of another color/race.  My nephew was about two  when my sister visited the Great Buddha in Japan and he was mobbed by school girls raving about his blonde hair and round eyes (yes, they did mention round eyes!). Poor kid screamed and tried to hide behind his very pregnant mother. At least Iz will be used to it.

• Love 1

Quite a few babies at three months are still blue eyed. Many don't establish eye color until a full year. Maybe Israel will have blue eyes, but it's too soon to know for sure.

Quite a few babies at three months are still blue eyed. Many don't establish eye color until a full year. Maybe Israel will have blue eyes, but it's too soon to know for sure.

Don't Jill and Derick both have blue eyes?

Jill doesn't want your science.
  • Love 11