Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Surely there's a difference between basic medical coverage, and dental coverage?  Even in Canada, where everyone (broad strokes generalization here) has access to free medical care, people still have to pay for dental care except for some basic preventative dental care for children.  Most employed people have private dental coverage through their employer. Even if Derrick maintained some medical coverage, and his dental surgery was a "medical necessity" rather than cosmetic dentistry, wouldn't at least some of his follow up orthodontic treatment be considered dental, and therefore not covered? 

I've been to El Salvador 4 times in the past few years to do mission work (medical work with the Catholic Church, no preaching, just medicine).  The most recent trip was this past January.  Like many Latin American countries, the government is corrupt and the population very poor.  There are problems with gangs (many of whom are deportees from the US, BTW, who learned the trade in LA gangs).  The main city, San Salvador, is quite dangerous, I wouldn't recommend going out on the streets after dark or going out anytime alone.  The countryside, where I did my volunteering, is safer, but, even then, gang members on the lam from the law hide out there.  We never did a clinic without an armed (AK47 armed) police officer and were not permitted to leave our dorm after dark or walk in town without locals to accompany us.  All doors locked at all times.  Buses running from the countryside to the capital are subjected to regular armed robberies of passengers (like twice a week according to a local).  Bad guys get on and then rob everyone at gunpoint when the bus is between towns. 

Americans, especially those who are not careful, are easy targets.  Something like a camera is worth a couple months wages to people there and anyone who flaunts things like that is going to get robbed.

El Salvador is a beautiful country with lovely people but you've got to be very, very careful.

As far as orthodontia, if Derick has the cash to pay for care (which he does), he can find a dentist in San Salvador who would be perfectly qualified.  Maybe even in other cities.  There aren't many orthodontists, but since most of the population is dirt poor, those that are there are more than happy to provide care to those who can afford it.

The population of El Salvador is overwhelmingly Catholic but the Evangelicals have become a much bigger presence in the past few years.  You can pick them out because they tend to dress like the Duggars (long baggy skirts) and the women often wear head coverings. 

Thanks, doodle. Great to get hear real stories from someone who's recently experienced the country and culture first-person.

• Love 5

El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala are all in terrible shape... The first two have also seen an entire generation raised in our prisons be returned there, to countries already politically unstable from the fallout of the Cold War (think Iran Contra - that was about the wars in these countries).

Thank you for your earlier response, GEML. This is the sentence I didn't understand.

• Love 1

Central America, I thought, had major civilizations when North America was largely hunter gatherer tribes, and I'm pretty sure most of the modern countries were founded before the United States. 

• Love 1

Central America, I thought, had major civilizations when North America was largely hunter gatherer tribes, and I'm pretty sure most of the modern countries were founded before the United States. 

But we interfered and influenced them in so many ways, especially during the cold war, that many of them are, in the modern era, arguably USA made and backed

• Love 1
(edited)

Thank you for your earlier response, GEML. This is the sentence I didn't understand.

I'm not GEML, but I believe the reference is to the many, many El Salvadorans who emigrated to the US, legally or illegally, and became caught up in gang activity, especially in the Los Angeles area.  The government's policy is to deport them back to their home country when they are caught and convicted.  In the case of El Salvador, with a weak and corrupt central government, these deportees who've learned the trade in US gangs and in US jails; simply pick up where they left off with far less  chance of going to jail than in the US.

These articles discuss the surging murder rate in El Salvador due to gang violence:

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/07/12/422059575/in-el-salvador-gang-killings-take-an-agonizing-toll

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/22/el-salvador-gangs_n_7637704.html

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

I'm thinking more and more that Derick and Jill have gone with Samaritan for their health insurance. It's the Christian pay-in exchange that pays out when you need it (and the exchange votes to approve it). One has to pass certain faith and lifestyle requirements in order to qualify. I know that the senior Duggars bought in for some time, and may well still do. If anyone is familiar with the Maxwells, they loooove them some Samaritan. 

With this plan, one has to wonder if Derick has to pay in extra because it's now well-known that his father dropped dead from a coronary at age 50. Bad provenance probably means higher rates on the Samaritan exchange. This said, I have absolutely no knowledge of how missions operate from the business side; Schadt may well offer a comprehensive insurance plan, with dental. Please allow me to remain skeptical on this particular point. I feel comfortable in thinking the Dillards are with Samaritan or have purchased their own plan, independently. 

• Love 1
(edited)

But we interfered and influenced them in so many ways, especially during the cold war, that many of them are, in the modern era, arguably USA made and backed

Well, in fairness, and not meaning to invoke Godwin, the nazis or the russians could have said that about polish history. I think a scary amount of the world these last few centuries is the grass that gets trampled when the elephants fight.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Well, in fairness, and not meaning to invoke Godwin, the nazis or the russians could have said that about polish history. I think a scary amount of the world these last few centuries is the grass that gets trampled when the elephants fight.

Absolutely a fair assesment

Okay gang, lets end the insurance/healthcare, South America, and other countries off topic discussion. Unless the insurance, healthcare and South America discussion is related to the Dillards, please take the talk to the Small Talk thread or one of zillions forums on the internet where a person can talk about insurance, the cost of dental care, and the dangers of going to another country until the cows come home. Once again, the mods will edit or hide off topic posts at our discretion. Thank you.

Sure. Same with Egypt and Mali and Myanmar (Burma) and many other empires than have risen and fallen over the centuries. Many had come and gone long before we had anything to do with them, including the Maya, who are most commonly associated with Central America. The Inca and the Aztecs - those we were more involved with, but the Aztecs were in Mexico and the Incas were in Peru, in South America, having displaced yet another empire before them, as had the Aztecs.

(edited)

I would be very, very afraid to take Izzy to El Salvador for an extended period. There are a lot of hazards - non-potable water, parasites, and they could find themselves with a sick baby and a long ride to a qualified doctor. Central American countries have a infant mortality rates much higher than ours. [snip]

Edited by bigskygirl
Off topic after mod note
  • Love 4

http://dillardfamily.com/blog

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Derick Dillard, of South America. Although you do not know me, I have been told you are an honest and reliable person. I am attempting to move $23,000,000 (TWENTY THREE MILLION) into the United States after one of your distant relatives died. Can you help me? Send me money.

Yours in Christ,

Derick Dillard

But seriously, it's kind of tacky to have such a huge font for donations.

• Love 23

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Derick Dillard, of South America. Although you do not know me, I have been told you are an honest and reliable person. I am attempting to move $23,000,000 (TWENTY THREE MILLION) into the United States after one of your distant relatives died. Can you help me? Send me money.

Yours in Christ,

Derick Dillard

so if a thousand fans send 15/month they get 15000 tax free per month. Living in a 'cheap' area, they are living like royalty. Not a bad gig. Nice little cushion for a return home as well.

100% if this was available I would have done it too because I am greedy and lazy.

• Love 8

It seems derickdillard has posted to the "Dillard Family Ministries" website thanking their "financial partners", according to a certain FB page.

They STILL have not disclosed a mission statement or any other information about where the donations are going. Of course the leghumpers have made an appearance on the FB page I have mentioned; any attempt to reason with them on how the Duggars have made millions on 19KAC, People "exclusives" and other money-making opportunities have fallen on deaf ears. And "we left the US because I can't stand up to my new FIL and can't hack a 40 hour a week job due to my Stage Five Clinger wife" is not a legitimate reason.

IMHO, of course.

• Love 13

I know it seems easy that a thousand fans would pledge something like $15 a month, but you would be surprised how hard that it to do. The Duggars have tons of fans, yes. But many of those fans are already tithing to their own places or worship. They may send in a one time donation (just as they might send in a wedding gift or a baby gift) but very few people sign up for ongoing support, even at low levels.

(This used to be my line of work, and I've done this as a volunteer for religious, non-profits, and political committees for years.)

• Love 6

Dear Sir/Madam,

Yours in Christ,

Derick Dillard

No kidding - wow! I recommend everyone take a look at this on Derick's actual blog. I had to enlarge the page 1 size up to read the "newsy" part of his posting, but the size of the font used for the "If you'd like to financially support our family ministry, you may do so here..." line is probably 2 or 3 times the point size of the other text. Truly and completely tacky. It's SO clear what is really important to Derick & Jill.  Boob has definitely taught his kids one thing very well - how to get an income for yourself without earning one. Let other people pay your way.

• Love 16

Dear Sir/Madam,

Yours in Christ,

Derick Dillard

The tackiest part is:

23uu042.jpg

• Love 4

"I had the joy of witnessing one elderly woman give lordship of her life to Christ. This transpired just one day after her Christian son was restored to fellowship in his local church. We were at the man’s house ministering to him with encouragement from God’s Word when the opportunity was presented to share the hope of the Gospel with his mother. It’s our prayer, and we ask you to please pray with us, that many more would repent of their ways and turn to God’s way for their life."

So in their eyes one of the big needs in El Salvador is for already baptized Protestants to start attending church again? Seems like they could have found plenty of work in that line right there in Arkansas. Hardly required pricey attention-seeking international travel.

• Love 19

So in their eyes one of the big needs in El Salvador is for already baptized Protestants to start attending church again? Seems like they could have found plenty of work in that line right there in Arkansas. Hardly required pricey attention-seeking international travel.

Shouldn't Jill be pushing home-churching? I guess even Derick rolls his eyes at that one.

It was also a nice passive way to claim credit for that conversion. Send them $20 to save more souls.

• Love 6

It means that you give the focus of your life to Jesus. It's usually used when there was something in your life that was holding you back - a "stumbling block" such as drinking or gambling or something else that you "worship" over Jesus that other people can recognize. Sort of Christian intervention, but minus the physical addiction part (in nearly all cases.)

• Love 2

"that many more would repent of their ways"

This is the part that annoys me more than anything.  Why don't the Duggars repent of their money grubbing ways.  Go show the people of El Salvador (that you are trying to save) your wedding and baby registries.  

Such an extreme disservice to people that sell everything they own to go and build schools, aid in medical service, help with clean water, etc.  

Jillymuffin documents everything.  I hope we will soon be able to see where they are living.  I have a feeling it is in the top 1% of living conditions in El Salvador.  

• Love 19

"That's not saying much. I'm not supporting them and there really are worse things."

IMO, it is if you are taking donations for what most likely will be another Duggar vacation.  And yes, I know there are worse things- such as brothers molesting sleeping girls.  I don't disagree with them getting away from the crazy family.  I do disagree with the donations. 

I just find it crazy that their purpose seems to be converting people to their religion.  I believe (correct me if I am wrong) El Salvador is 57% Catholic.  Why not go hang out in New York, New Orleans, or El Paso?   They have strong Catholic populations.  Granted, the 'mission' money would not flow as freely and armed guards are not as inexpensive.

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/scus1.html

• Love 9

I think they were trying to subvert the paps.  That said, everyone knew what day they were leaving; diligent paps would have just scoped the airport and figured out transferring flights, like I did with 30 seconds using Mr. Google. 

They overestimate their importance. And yay! The brown people worship the white, male baby! Where have we seen THIS before? Bonus points for the Dullards that Iz is apparently also blue-eyed. Ugh. 

• Love 9

Dear Sir/Madam,

Yours in Christ,

Derick Dillard

I read the blog post. They are insufferable. Self-serving and smug. I'm so stabby I can't articulate.

• Love 15

Handing over the SSN is unacceptable, as is the rest. God only knows how secure the info is. I'm guessing not much. Identity theft is such a huge crime. I've been a victim of it myself, a mild version I was able to easily clear up, but it still felt hugely violating.

• Love 8
(edited)

No way! I have donated to many charities over the past years - including religious ones like Catholic Charities - and I've NEVER been asked to give my social security number or my DL number.

I work at a community college and previously worked at a state university - they don't even use social security numbers to keep records for students anymore due to potential identity theft. Instead, everyone is given a student ID number to use for registration or anything where their SS#s previously would have been used.

Derrick and Jill can stuff it. If it's not for identity theft, it sounds like it's for going seriously hardcore to track down people who pledge to give monthly donations but stop paying.

This should be a HUGE red flag that people should not donate!

Can you imagine if nonprofits like Planned Parenthood (another one to which I've donated) or the Human Rights Campaign asked forthat kind of info from donors? It would be seen as some sort of liberal conspiracy to get everyone's info.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 19

No way! I have donated to many charities over the past years - including religious ones like Catholic Charities - and I've NEVER been asked to give my social security number or my DL number.

I work at a community college and previously worked at a state university - they don't even use social security numbers to keep records for students anymore due to potential identity theft. Instead, everyone is given a student ID number to use for registration or anything where their SS#s previously would have been used.

Derrick and Jill can stuff it. If it's not for identity theft, it sounds like it's for going seriously hardcore to track down people who pledge to give monthly donations but stop paying.

This should be a HUGE red flag that people should not donate!

Can you imagine if nonprofits like Planned Parenthood (another one to which I've donated) or the Human Rights Campaign asked forthat kind of info from donors? It would be seen as some sort of liberal conspiracy to get everyone's info.

The 'Terms and Conditions' seem cut and paste from Cornerstone. Jillard didn't create that.

Is anyone willing to donate and report back on what info it requires?

• Love 2

The 'Terms and Conditions' seem cut and paste from Cornerstone. Jillard didn't create that.

Is anyone willing to donate and report back on what info it requires?

Fortunately, you don't have to actually donate in order to see what they ask for. It only asks for the standard things you have to give when donating or buying anything online - name, email, billing address, and credit card information.

• Love 2
(edited)

"That's not saying much. I'm not supporting them and there really are worse things."

IMO, it is if you are taking donations for what most likely will be another Duggar vacation. And yes, I know there are worse things- such as brothers molesting sleeping girls. I don't disagree with them getting away from the crazy family. I do disagree with the donations.

I just find it crazy that their purpose seems to be converting people to their religion. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) El Salvador is 57% Catholic. Why not go hang out in New York, New Orleans, or El Paso? They have strong Catholic populations. Granted, the 'mission' money would not flow as freely and armed guards are not as inexpensive.

Boggles my mind too as to why they would go there to convert Catholics!!

Oh they should come to Chicago we have the largest population of Polish Catholics outside of Warsaw. They would lose their minds trying. Most Polish Catholic are diehards NO way can they be swayed.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

Again, as the countries suffered first under the Cold War and now under the drug trade, Catholic Churches were severely persecuted and now cannot even remotely meet the needs of the citizens, especially in rural areas and for young people who have grown up knowing no religion at all. I have zero problem, philosophically, with what they are doing.

Not that I'll be donating.

IMO, it is if you are taking donations for what most likely will be another Duggar vacation. And yes, I know there are worse things- such as brothers molesting sleeping girls. I don't disagree with them getting away from the crazy family. I do disagree with the donations.

I just find it crazy that their purpose seems to be converting people to their religion. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) El Salvador is 57% Catholic. Why not go hang out in New York, New Orleans, or El Paso? They have strong Catholic populations. Granted, the 'mission' money would not flow as freely and armed guards are not as inexpensive.

Vulnerable Catholics in poor countries are the easiest targets.

• Love 1

Boggles my mind too as to why they would go there to convert Catholics!!

Oh they should come to Chicago we have the largest population of Polish Catholics outside of Warsaw. They would lose their minds trying. Most Polish Catholic are diehards NO way can they be swayed.

Actually, I think they started by converting Protestants. To Protestantism. At least that's the way I read the blog -- it strikes me that if the guy in question had been a Catholic they would have not tried to get him to go back to his old church.

• Love 4

http://www.eonline.com/news/677694/jill-duggar-derick-dillard-begin-mission-abroad-say-locals-want-to-see-big-blue-eyed-white-baby-israel

"Israel seems to be adjusting to the new climate, culture, food (via mom's milk), and language faster than Jill and I are," they added. "In fact, he has been the talk of the town. Everywhere we go, people here about and want to see and hold the 'big blue-eyed, white baby' LOL. Israel is definitely growing and developing fast. [sic]"

Well then.

• Love 1

If you read further on their donation page, it appears they do a credit check. Is this the norm? We only donate in lump sums. Is it typical to do a credit check for people who donate on a monthly basis? No matter the charity I would not be giving out my License # nor my SS #.

• Love 3
(edited)

http://www.eonline.com/news/677694/jill-duggar-derick-dillard-begin-mission-abroad-say-locals-want-to-see-big-blue-eyed-white-baby-israel

"Israel seems to be adjusting to the new climate, culture, food (via mom's milk), and language faster than Jill and I are," they added. "In fact, he has been the talk of the town. Everywhere we go, people here about and want to see and hold the 'big blue-eyed, white baby' LOL. Israel is definitely growing and developing fast. [sic]"

Well then.

Hmm Derick doesn't know the difference between here and hear? Derick's over all writing style is horrible. Many of the posters here had to ask what the heck he was trying to say! Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

Well, it sounds like Jill is still breastfeeding. Even if it's not a foolproof birth control method, it can delay ovulation so maybe she won't get immediately pregnant (although there is a chance if that's their only birth control method, which, we know, it is).