Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

He certainly can do something about his hair, clothes, general grooming. Does he shower? He doesn't appear to in any photos I've seen. Why does he always look so slovenly? If he thinks he looks presentable and Jill finds him attractive then that is wonderful, a true blessing. But he looks really disgusting in the pictures that they are choosing to post publicly. Perhaps he just photographs terribly.

Poopchute, you misunderstood my post.

I was talking abt those who were making fun of the way his face is. Saying that he was going out of country for a new face, or plastic surgery.

Not how he dresses or wears his hair.

(edited)

I really wonder how long they have had these plans in place and if it had anything to do with the recent scandal that came to light just a few weeks ago. I think they planned to do missionary work at some point but I wonder if it was supposed to be this soon.

I think this is how it all went down. IMHO of course and maybe i should be posting in the fan fiction thread. LOL

The last interview episode in which several family members were visibly upset? We now know Jim Boob and J-Chelle knew there was a FOIA request for Smuggar's docs at the police station. The shit is about to hit the fan for all of them. They KNEW during that taping, which I believe was at the beginning of May. derickdillard is still on maternity leave. A week later (IIRC) the fecal matter hits the oscillating device via international media and the entire family goes into a panic. Derickdillard goes back to work two days after Smuggar's news is everywhere, tells his bosses that he's going to need additional time off because his wife is distraught and he can't be away from her, and they tell him that not only can they not offer more time off, he'll need to choose -- his job or his in-laws. He chooses to leave after working out some type of verbiage re: "I left voluntarily and I have another job already". I think WM agreed because they didn't want another public relations nightmare on their hands. I also feel fairly positive that he transitioned health insurance coverage to COBRA, because only someone truly insane chooses to forgo health insurance coverage six weeks after his wife endured a 70 hour labor and a C-section.

I think the "missions" BS went from "someday" to "we got a ton of money this year from People, TLC, and the leghumpers, let's go" when the story got progressively uglier and Jim Boob and J-Chelle pressured Jilly Muffin into the TV interview. I believe it went from 75% sure to 100% when the talks between TLC and the married daughters broke down, most likely because Jim Boob and J-Chelle wouldn't allow any type of show at all without their receiving payment themselves. It was nice of Jessa Blessa to burn any possible bridge for her new brother-in-law with his former employers the other day, wasn't it? (Paraphrased: "They've been planning this since wintertime." Really?)

I am still torn on whether TLC will show any original programming featuring the Duggars. Part of me thinks they might because they refuse to outright cancel the show, but the furor that would erupt for the advertisers doesn't make it a moneymaking opportunity. I can't imagine that they would be willing to pay a camera crew and production staff to sit in El Salvador until Jilly Muffin runs out of nail polish or has to figure out how to make three servings of rice on her own, but stranger things have happened before. I think the biggest fly in TLC's ointment is the ten years of episodes (on which they don't have to pay residuals) sitting in cans at their headquarters. That's the thing that's keeping their CEO up at night -- it's like leaving money on the table.

Again, this is all IMHO. And I fully expect to wake up in a couple of weeks to a People magazine cover screaming "THE DUGGARS ARE BACK!". And I will clap my hands and do a little dance when the "other shoe" In Touch has been sitting on drops as a result.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 10

I think this is how it all went down. IMHO of course and maybe i should be posting in the fan fiction thread. LOL

The last interview episode in which several family members were visibly upset? We now know Jim Boob and J-Chelle knew there was a FOIA request for Smuggar's docs at the police station. The shit is about to hit the fan for all of them. They KNEW during that taping, which I believe was at the beginning of May. derickdillard is still on maternity leave. A week later (IIRC) the fecal matter hits the oscillating device via international media and the entire family goes into a panic. Derickdillard goes back to work two days after Smuggar's news is everywhere, tells his bosses that he's going to need additional time off because his wife is distraught and he can't be away from her, and they tell him that not only can they not offer more time off, he'll need to choose -- his job or his in-laws. He chooses to leave after working out some type of verbiage re: "I left voluntarily and I have another job already". I think WM agreed because they didn't want another public relations nightmare on their hands. I also feel fairly positive that he transitioned health insurance coverage to COBRA, because only someone truly insane chooses to forgo health insurance coverage six weeks after his wife endured a 70 hour labor and a C-section.

I think the "missions" BS went from "someday" to "we got a ton of money this year from People, TLC, and the leghumpers, let's go" when the story got progressively uglier and Jim Boob and J-Chelle pressured Jilly Muffin into the TV interview. I believe it went from 75% sure to 100% when the talks between TLC and the married daughters broke down, most likely because Jim Boob and J-Chelle wouldn't allow any type of show at all without their receiving payment themselves. It was nice of Jessa Blessa to burn any possible bridge for her new brother-in-law with his former employers the other day, wasn't it? (Paraphrased: "They've been planning this since wintertime." Really?)

I am still torn on whether TLC will show any original programming featuring the Duggars. Part of me thinks they might because they refuse to outright cancel the show, but the furor that would erupt for the advertisers doesn't make it a moneymaking opportunity. I can't imagine that they would be willing to pay a camera crew and production staff to sit in El Salvador until Jilly Muffin runs out of nail polish or has to figure out how to make three servings of rice on her own, but stranger things have happened before. I think the biggest fly in TLC's ointment is the ten years of episodes (on which they don't have to pay residuals) sitting in cans at their headquarters. That's the thing that's keeping their CEO up at night -- it's like leaving money on the table.

Again, this is all IMHO. And I fully expect to wake up in a couple of weeks to a People magazine cover screaming "THE DUGGARS ARE BACK!". And I will clap my hands and do a little dance when the "other shoe" In Touch has been sitting on drops as a result.

That's fan fic I can buy.

• Love 2

I was thinking the same,do you have any idea what the other revalations intouch magazine say they have could be?

I cracked up at the video when JB was saying goodbye to Jill. Derick came charging over from off camera, possessively hugged Jill from behind (no, not in a golf course sort of way) and shot JB a look that meant,"Back off, you jackass, she's a Dillard now." Attaboy, Derick!

My sister is 11 years older than me and we do not hug. It wouldn't matter if one of us was going to the moon for a year or to heaven forever. Of course, I think she's still trying to convince herself that I'm just a neighbor kid that our mother is babysitting and that my real mother will be picking me up shortly.

The Osmonds learned all the instruments by sending each kid to lessons for a different instrument (one to drums, one to guitar, etc.). Then they would each teach the others what they'd learned.

• Love 5

I don't think it's possible to be less interested in a sibling/child leaving than that video demonstrates. Why even post it once you shot it and it came out THAT bad? Pa Duggar spews his normal stuff about God's will for a while and no one else has anything to say including Jill's mother. I get it -- the real goodbyes happened at a different time and this was for social media, but give me a break. It's still your daughter/son in law/sister/bro in law leaving for another country -- you'd think you could stir up emotion twice -- once for the real goodbye and once for the fake one. I mean when Jill was hugging people, Derick was standing there awkwardly as no one was hugging or even talking to him. Finally Michelle and Jinger did a 2 second side hug with him after an awkwardly long time of him standing there.

The family relations in that family are effed - besides within Jill's own buddy team. When JB starts spewing about -- this is what happens, when you marry a missionary and he marries a missionary -- Derick walks across the crowd and hugs her from behind possessively. He may have been thinking -- stay away from my wife, you've done enough damage already, we're going in large part to get away from you.

As for Derick's look -- I'm not making fun of his face or even what he looks like with braces bc that isn't in his control. But doesn't he look a little too disheveled? When we met him in Nepal, he had long-ish hair (or at least didn't gel it) and a beard -- but he still looked like he showered and took some interest in his general appearance and this was while living in a developing country where showering means pouring buckets of water on yourself as you don't always have showerheads everywhere. Once he was back and working at WMT -- he looked clean cut even with the beard. Now he just looks like an unruly mess -- needs a haircut, a beard trim, and often looks like he hasn't showered in a few days and looks like he's even thinner though he had no weight to lose. Isn't it a sign of depression/anxiety/something going on when someone who used to take care of their appearance suddenly stops making any effort at all? Though I mean after the 1.5 yrs he's had -- courting long distance, returning from Nepal, courting for a few months, engaged, married, pregnant 2 seconds later, starts a new job, deals with a newborn and a wife who is ridiculously clingy and has an overbearing family, learns his wife was molested as a child, quits his job and decides life on the road is for them -- I mean who wouldn't be a bit stressed!?

• Love 8
(edited)

Seriously, what is that? It doesn't look like a thumb at all.

I wonder how many pregnancy tests Jill took on the trip.

ETA: Jills fingernails look dirty. You would think doing shots that have your hands shown so closely, she would have had Derrick paint her nails.

A while back I mentioned that Jill's nails looked dirty for her wedding. Eww I'm vein my nails are always well kept. Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

It's funny. The italian side of my family has an obsessive focus on bella figura (putting a pretty face on things) that's very much like what the Duggars are supposed to practice, and if one of them was behaving the way Jim Bob did in that video (or for that matter pretty much since the runup to Jessa's wedding), I'd say that they were seriously pissed off and trying to put a good face on it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that there wasn't any miniature golf frottage or making out on the altar for Jim Bob and Michelle until very recently, and that the passive aggressive behavior started about the time that he started realizing how much is out of his control now. I don't think losing his platform, most of his income, his headship over two daughters, his political influence (I think it was Mother Jones that referred to the beginning of this cycle as "the Duggar primary"), being the power behind the throne at a major K Street player and his reputation all at once is something Jim Bob can really handle. And now he's not gaining a missionary, he's losing a babysitter, who if she does get a show will be filming it nowhere near Jim Bob, and with a revenue stream which was set up to be independent of Jim Bob.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe he doesn't look like he's feeling the grief of saying goodbye to a beloved child because grief isn't precisely what he's feeling, and he was rude about Derrick's dad because Derrick's not hanging around to clean his toilets.

• Love 10

Does this mean that they want to stone their critics? :D

Funny you mention stoning, because for weeks now I have wanted to create "The Flogging Channel"     where the country could gather side flog The Duggars.

Stoning's would occur every other night.

• Love 2
It's funny. The italian side of my family has an obsessive focus on bella figura (putting a pretty face on things) that's very much like what the Duggars are supposed to practice, and if one of them was behaving the way Jim Bob did in that video (or for that matter pretty much since the runup to Jessa's wedding), I'd say that they were seriously pissed off and trying to put a good face on it.

While they can put on a fake bella figura while out in public they come off with a brutta figura (to embarress the family) with their lies.
  • Love 3
(edited)

In the video Jim Bob and Michelle said they would be visiting Jill and Derrick. Why? Will they bring any of the children? Who pays? Does he hope that will make TLC film? Just seems weird to "visit" (they did NOT say join them) people doing missionary work.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't think there's more, really. I don't think the mag could just sit on it for this long. Why would they?

I agree. Of course, there may be something out there that they don't have or don't have nailed down yet, and I have a feeling that some fed-up Arkansans or others are still feeding them tips. The Duggars seem to inspire both hardcore humpers and hardcore haters, not just on the Internet but in real life as well.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

In the video Jim Bob and Michelle said they would be visiting Jill and Derrick. Why? Will they bring any of the children? Who pays? Does he hope that will make TLC film? Just seems weird to "visit" (they did NOT say join them) people doing missionary work.

Isn't it the Duggars semi-annual vacation/mission trip? They are probably waiting for Anna to drop the latest grandbaby before they go back to famewhoring in El Salvador.

• Love 1

I don't think it's possible to be less interested in a sibling/child leaving than that video demonstrates. Why even post it once you shot it and it came out THAT bad?

Maybe the Dunning-Kruger effect was at work. I'm not sure Jim Bob is ever aware than anything he does is less than fabulous.

• Love 6
 Now he just looks like an unruly mess -- needs a haircut, a beard trim, and often looks like he hasn't showered in a few days and looks like he's even thinner though he had no weight to lose. Isn't it a sign of depression/anxiety/something going on when someone who used to take care of their appearance suddenly stops making any effort at all? Though I mean after the 1.5 yrs he's had -- courting long distance, returning from Nepal, courting for a few months, engaged, married, pregnant 2 seconds later, starts a new job, deals with a newborn and a wife who is ridiculously clingy and has an overbearing family, learns his wife was molested as a child, quits his job and decides life on the road is for them -- I mean who wouldn't be a bit stressed!?

I agree that stress may have a lot to do with Derick's messy unhealthy look. I've been under stress for a while and this is exactly the way I look, too. I was going to say "except for the beard," but I just felt my chin and, yeah, I've got that, too. It can't be easy to be Derick (or Bin-jermin) right now. I doubt that either of them is sleeping very well.

It does seem like weird word choice. But then I remember that the things the Duggars call missions are actually just visiting, too. The idea of actually working for someone else's welfare -- you know, because you have such a great servant's heart -- doesn't seem to be on JB's radar.

• Love 8

I'm shocked that we haven't been gifted with a picture yet from the new missionaries. I so expected her to start her chalkboard pictures documenting what day of her trip it is.

• Love 4
(edited)

In the video Jim Bob and Michelle said they would be visiting Jill and Derrick. Why? Will they bring any of the children? Who pays? Does he hope that will make TLC film? Just seems weird to "visit" (they did NOT say join them) people doing missionary work.

I expect all the children from Jenny upwards to go. Michelle can't handle 3 kids on her own ATM. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

Isn't it the Duggars semi-annual vacation/mission trip? They are probably waiting for Anna to drop the latest grandbaby before they go back to famewhoring in El Salvador.

It's tax deductible too.

• Love 2
(edited)

A couple mission trips begin on the 12th, and another on the 25th. Voila! Duggars, Duggars everywhere! 

Hannie turns 10 later this year. On the fence about whether they'll let her go; their cutoff age has always been 10. Jenni has two years to wait; no way they take her to see Buddy Jill now. Even for painting nails, she's just a bit too young. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Interesting that they think a child of Jenny's age is too young for missions, considering that when her sister-moms were her age they were thought of as old enough to parent a child.

• Love 14

I don't think it's a coincidence that there wasn't any miniature golf frottage or making out on the altar for Jim Bob and Michelle until very recently, and that the passive aggressive behavior started about the time that he started realizing how much is out of his control now. I don't think losing his platform, most of his income, his headship over two daughters, his political influence (I think it was Mother Jones that referred to the beginning of this cycle as "the Duggar primary"), being the power behind the throne at a major K Street player and his reputation all at once is something Jim Bob can really handle. And now he's not gaining a missionary, he's losing a babysitter, who if she does get a show will be filming it nowhere near Jim Bob, and with a revenue stream which was set up to be independent of Jim Bob.

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe he doesn't look like he's feeling the grief of saying goodbye to a beloved child because grief isn't precisely what he's feeling, and he was rude about Derrick's dad because Derrick's not hanging around to clean his toilets.

Julia, I LOVED your post. LOOOOOVED. You had me at "frottage". What a hit to the heart your words have achieved...

And the toilet-cleaning comment. Brilliant, just freaking brilliant. Can I bow down to you via the Internet ???

I think they're ALL losing here, but JB the very most. Money/TLC Gravy Train - meet station. End of the line...

Michelle looks lost, demented, surprised, and not a little bit stoned. I wish I had what she was on in order to watch this clusterfuck. 

Again, the missing Duggar kids, the lack of real emotion, with the exception of Jill and Joy, makes me think that this was a home-grown (groan?) video goodbye that was carefully scripted by JB, went awry at some points, but Michelle stayed on point. Too bad she couldn't muster a tear or give a hug. Always with a smile, head nodding, tased-and-glazed in all her glory. Does she even know what's going on now... ?

Stepford Wives. 1984. Brave New World. Gothard. All...one and the same. Lord help them.

• Love 10

We know the Duggars have gone on quite a few mission trips that were never filmed. I figure they consider this part of their "tithe." And I've never known any short term mission trips that were tax deductible. Am I wrong about that? Support to missionaries doing something long term, yes. But going and spending two weeks somewhere - no.

• Love 1
(edited)

IAMAL, (I so love that phrase now...) but I can see where there would be a HUGE tax write off for JB. I bet so. We know Jerick has set up as a non-profit, and if you gave "help" to them, it would be deductible. My husband plays golf in several tournies every year that benefit non-profit organizations. His travel expenses (only gas because they are local), food, costs to play - anything related to it - are deductible. Doesn't harm the non-profit, they Rent required to report it. Just goes in our filing as a charitable deduct. I'm guessing whatever it costs JB to get there (all that airfare), food and whatever they take along to contribute to the ministry will all be deductible. Because this would be a HUGE expense, Jerick will have to provide some sort of documentation, but I think it is deductible. And because JB doesn't tithe to a "church" that we know of (one that would provide the contribution register at the end of the year), he will definitely know and tAke advantage of charitable deductions.

For whatever it's worth, I checked with our CPA, and yes, Boobs "visits" can be written off (taken as charitable contributions) as long as he does some sort of "mission"'work while there. Airfare, accommodations, everything can be deducted. Even the gas to get to the airport, and parking fees. The only thing not deductible is souvenirs.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 6

Julia and Fuzzysox:  How well I remember the "bella/brutta figura" from my aunts and uncles in Brooklyn...on to the Duggars, they were actually NEVER genuine or real...they have developed in to a show family whose TV show is their business...

• Love 3

I don't think there's more, really. I don't think the mag could just sit on it for this long. Why would they?

I think there's more. I think Jim Boob and family have pissed on a lot of people over the years, and this is their payback.

I also think In Touch won't release additional information until it's been heavily sourced and reviewed by their publisher's attorneys, which might take a while.

I'm shocked that we haven't been gifted with a picture yet from the new missionaries. I so expected her to start her chalkboard pictures documenting what day of her trip it is.

But -- but -- but -- security reasons! Which will win out -- the need for "security" or the need for MORE MONEY?

• Love 3

i think they chose El Salvador over Nepal because that SOS El Salvador group allowed TLC cameras. 

Nepal is suffering and dragging a film crew over there would be a huge mess. 

They planned this whole thing WAY before the molestation came out. We saw clips of them in the upcoming season telling Michelle and JimBob. Those two were going to film their mission and support themselves with TLC doing a few episodes of them. 

Now they were completely blown off course and have to resort to asking for donations. Derick is happy to go.  He worked in Nepal and maybe this is really what he wants to do with his life.  Jill?  She knew Derick was a missionary but was so head over heels in giggly love that she didn't think this through totally. Taking a 3 month old baby on the mission field, leaving home, family, friends and modern conveniences is really different than how she might've thought it would be. 

I'm glad they are going. I think it will be good for Jill. Although they will be back soon. This is a short term mission placement.  Probably started out as a really good story line for the show. 

• Love 3

But -- but -- but -- security reasons! Which will win out -- the need for "security" or the need for MORE MONEY?

A blog I read just had their daughter come back from Albania. She actually said "I can tell you where she was, now that she was home. I previously couldn't mention it for security reasons."

It is not unique to the Duggars at all to keep quiet on where their mission is.

• Love 2

God bless anyone going to Albania. That's a tough mission field. My husband worked there years back and had to drink some labor guys under the table (my husband was NOT raised Fundy) to gain their trust, but by God he did it! ;)

• Love 2

So the Duggars have money to go visit (4, 5 or 6 of them?) but the sheep of the world are the ones who are suppose to go pony up their hard-earned money to send the Dillards there?  Jill doesn't have to work before Iz to save money for their mission trip, they didn't skip a honeymoon and save that money for their mission trip, mom and dad (and God knows how many kids) do not say that they will skip visiting them and instead put the money toward their mission, BUT we can all go to work and turn over our money.

They really really really don't see a problem with this?

• Love 17

I think it's more likely she just forgot the other one existed. The camp costs nearly $1600. Maybe they send one, then he teaches the other one for free.

Here's the application form. Photo required, so maybe JimChelle think the Michael Cera looking one is more attractive?

So the Duggars have money to go visit (4, 5 or 6 of them?) but the sheep of the world are the ones who are suppose to go pony up their hard-earned money to send the Dillards there?  Jill doesn't have to work before Iz to save money for their mission trip, they didn't skip a honeymoon and save that money for their mission trip, mom and dad (and God knows how many kids) do not say that they will skip visiting them and instead put the money toward their mission, BUT we can all go to work and turn over our money.

They really really really don't see a problem with this?

There's a brain region called the right supramarginal gyrus that apparently plays a big role in recognizing the needs and interests of others? The Duggars? Don't think theirs are functioning. Their "servants' hearts" to the contrary.

• Love 4

They planned this whole thing WAY before the molestation came out. We saw clips of them in the upcoming season telling Michelle and JimBob. Those two were going to film their mission and support themselves with TLC doing a few episodes of them.

Now they were completely blown off course and have to resort to asking for donations. Derick is happy to go. He worked in Nepal and maybe this is really what he wants to do with his life. Jill? She knew Derick was a missionary but was so head over heels in giggly love that she didn't think this through totally. Taking a 3 month old baby on the mission field, leaving home, family, friends and modern conveniences is really different than how she might've thought it would be.

I'm glad they are going. I think it will be good for Jill. Although they will be back soon. This is a short term mission placement. Probably started out as a really good story line for the show.

I have to disagree with the first statement. Why would Derick go through with the beginning stages of orthodontics just to up and leave? Most long term missionary work is considered 3 year minimum. Those braces will grow to his teeth in that length of time. I think they had a solo mission trip/poverty tour planned similar to what the family did prior to Jessa and Ben getting married and with recent events, it's turned into a longer stay. It's not like Jim Bob and Michelle are above lying, so I see no problem in telling a judge that Jill cannot be reached for a telecommunication deposition because they are in earthquake torn El Salvador. If this lawsuit comes to fruition, Jill might be the weakest link and she was also the oldest one that's suspected of being molested. I can see Jim Bob patting for an extended vacation in neighboring Belize on a beach until it all blows over.

• Love 2

I have to disagree with the first statement. Why would Derick go through with the beginning stages of orthodontics just to up and leave? Most long term missionary work is considered 3 year minimum. Those braces will grow to his teeth in that length of time. I think they had a solo mission trip/poverty tour planned similar to what the family did prior to Jessa and Ben getting married and with recent events, it's turned into a longer stay. It's not like Jim Bob and Michelle are above lying, so I see no problem in telling a judge that Jill cannot be reached for a telecommunication deposition because they are in earthquake torn El Salvador. If this lawsuit comes to fruition, Jill might be the weakest link and she was also the oldest one that's suspected of being molested. I can see Jim Bob patting for an extended vacation in neighboring Belize on a beach until it all blows over.

That is true. Who gets braces before leaving on a mission trip? 

But we know they planned this before the surgery, didn't they?  We saw those clips of them telling Jim Bob and Michelle they are leaving.

Maybe it was short term trip that was supposed to be a story line.   That SOS group seems to take people short term. A few months?  

Then the molestation leaked and suddenly it became a long, long trip. Which would account for Jim Bob saying "WELL YOU MARRIED A MISSIONARY" letting us know that Derick had always planned this out and they are NOT leaving since the molestation. 

Interesting time line.

• Love 1
(edited)

Honestly, I think it makes sense to do the surgery and braces right before leaving on a mission trip.  Derick turned 26 this year and will no longer be able to remain on his mother's health insurance after December 31.  Not sure what sort of benefits he had with Wal Mart, but I'm willing to be his mother's insurance is superior.  Better to get major stuff out of the way before using the insurance, and the surgery was probably quite expensive.  Braces aren't that huge of a deal if the surgery has fixed the major issue and it's fairly easy to transfer to a different orthodontist.  Ten second Google search brought up a couple in San Salvador that have been reviewed or recommended by American expats.  

In short, I think the surgery had to do with realizing that his really good insurance was going to run out.  You should see the crap my younger siblings have rushed to do when they realized it was the end of mom and dad's insurance.

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 5

Honestly, I think it makes sense to do the surgery and braces right before leaving on a mission trip. Derick turned 26 this year and will no longer be able to remain on his mother's health insurance after December 31. Not sure what sort of benefits he had with Wal Mart, but I'm willing to be his mother's insurance is superior. Better to get major stuff out of the way before using the insurance, and the surgery was probably quite expensive. Braces aren't that huge of a deal if the surgery has fixed the major issue and it's fairly easy to transfer to a different orthodontist. Ten second Google search brought up a couple in San Salvador that have been reviewed or recommended by American expats.

In short, I think the surgery had to do with realizing that his really good insurance was going to run out. You should see the crap my younger siblings have rushed to do when they realized it was the end of mom and dad's insurance.

I got the impression that his face work was plastic surgery for aesthetic reasons, he had plenty of time and insurance to get anything else sorted out. And an accountant mom and an accountant son would have had it done earlier rather than later. I am not a doctor, but I imagine the first phase was to realign teeth into broader arc, and the second and uncompleted phase will be an osteotomy to move the whole lot into centre.

I got the impression that his face work was plastic surgery for aesthetic reasons, he had plenty of time and insurance to get anything else sorted out. And an accountant mom and an accountant son would have had it done earlier rather than later. I am not a doctor, but I imagine the first phase was to realign teeth into broader arc, and the second and uncompleted phase will be an osteotomy to move the whole lot into centre.

Sure, they could have done it earlier.  But they didn't.  Like you, I'm also not a doctor so my speculation is based purely on what I can see in photos and what I've experienced in my own orthodontical exploits.  In photos pre surgery, his bite is visibly off center.  Whether or not he went to the doctor for aesthetic reasons doesn't matter since these are issues that will be considered necessary for optimal health.  An improper bite negatively effects all sorts of things.  

• Love 2

Sure, they could have done it earlier. But they didn't. Like you, I'm also not a doctor so my speculation is based purely on what I can see in photos and what I've experienced in my own orthodontical exploits. In photos pre surgery, his bite is visibly off center. Whether or not he went to the doctor for aesthetic reasons doesn't matter since these are issues that will be considered necessary for optimal health. An improper bite negatively effects all sorts of things.

I wouldn't want to to leave America with my face a 'construction zone' and undergo the final major facial surgery like an osteotomy in El Salvador though.

• Love 1

I wouldn't want to to leave America with my face a 'construction zone' and undergo the final major facial surgery like an osteotomy in El Salvador though.

I have no idea why that would even be a thing he'd need to worry about.  Again, not a doctor and only going by what I can see in photos, but his bite looks properly aligned so breaking bones seems unlikely.  But San Salvador does have doctors and dentists so there really isn't a huge concern with that.  

Good medical care and doctors and dentists do exist in other countries and at more reasonable prices.  Sometimes superior drugs are available other places and not here.  i know many people who have gone out of country for services.

• Love 7

I definitely have prefered almost all of the medical care I received abroad to that I have to put up with back here in the states.  

Also, I'm not sure what sort of visa they got, but if they couldn't reveal where they were going, I'm guessing this means El Salvador doesn't offer religious worker visas (someone can check, I feel lazy right now) so they are likely on a 90 day tourist visa which requires them to go on visa runs every 3 months.  There are A LOT of cheap travel options to nearby central american countries and so the choice for medical care expands, and there are huge expat communities in these places.  They can even go to English speaking Belize to avoid potential language barriers.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Honestly, I think it makes sense to do the surgery and braces right before leaving on a mission trip.  Derick turned 26 this year and will no longer be able to remain on his mother's health insurance after December 31.  Not sure what sort of benefits he had with Wal Mart, but I'm willing to be his mother's insurance is superior.  Better to get major stuff out of the way before using the insurance, and the surgery was probably quite expensive.  Braces aren't that huge of a deal if the surgery has fixed the major issue and it's fairly easy to transfer to a different orthodontist.  Ten second Google search brought up a couple in San Salvador that have been reviewed or recommended by American expats.  

In short, I think the surgery had to do with realizing that his really good insurance was going to run out.  You should see the crap my younger siblings have rushed to do when they realized it was the end of mom and dad's insurance.

His mother works (and co-owns?) a small firm. I doubt her insurance is better than what Derick had at WallyWorld; in either case, dental would be covered separately. I seriously doubt he was ever on his mother's plan after he graduated from college. Her premiums must be sky-high now as it is, given the severity of her illness and treatments, including the bone marrow transplant.

Also note, he got all the major dental work/surgery done before he quit. I imagine they can pay cash from here on out. But what will he do? Fly to the states every month to get his braces tightened? Or will they be set up in San Salvador (edited b/c I was in the wrong country, oops!) with the best orthodontist they can find? 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
(edited)

Same difference.  Either his mom's insurance is running out or his own. His final year of being on his parents insurance and his final months working in the states.  (and it would be malicious if his parents {and yes, I know it's stepfather} removed a child from the family policy when they don't have to). Like, this isn't a big shock that one would get major work done before loss of insurance.

And yes, there are orthodontists all over the world.  Not hard to find.  I mentioned before that a ten second google search brought up several well reviewed orthos, reviewed by expats.  There are also several countries surrounding them to offer even more choice and they might have to do that depending on the visa situation.  It's just really not a big deal.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's Jill's rink dink approach to maturnity and birth care that would bother me.  I just wouldn't do it.  But then it's Jill not me, and she and her beliefs and prayers to God can do as they please.  Didn't work well last time.  

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 2

I think Derick had the work done because he was appearing on TV. Before they didn't do it because it didn't matter, but after the success with their own children and Anna, this was sort of a "gift" for Derick.

If they are working with an organization, they could have longer term work permits. But it's not a huge deal to travel If you have the money, which they do.

• Love 1