Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I totally think everyone's sex life is their own business. However, is anyone else dying to pull Jill aside and ask,"Soooo, whatja think?"

What can you think if you've had no prior experience? I myself was just glad to get the first time over with, lol! 

• Love 3

Lots of questions in this you tube video of Michelle being interviewed about Jill's dress.  Who is the girl on the bike?  It looks like the same girl Michelle had her arm around at Erin Bates wedding.  Are they hiding a Costa Rican kid at the compound (or wherever they went for mission work)?  No one is concerned that Josie is running around in her flower girl dress - in the mud!  What's with the mangy dog and cat wandering around?

• Love 2

And Michelle learned a new word! Bliiiiinnnnnggggg! Well Mullet, rather than drone on about how a four year old isn't being modest and needs to put her jacket back on (saw a leaked pic of her at the Duggar reception in which the jacket was also ditched), I think she should go entertain herself with some shiny things. Who on earth is Josie defrauding again?

(edited)

Woo hoo got to see the other pics. Thanks for the help getting there. Holy cow that was a lot of scrolling to see pics, but worth it. A few random thoughts...

I really like Jill's dress. I think the tailoring could've been better but I still like it. I was expecting a higher neckline and halfway expecting sleeves down to her wrists.  I think her veil's really pretty too.

Buck in the Truck: obnoxious! Just my opinion. I hate the money dances, money trees, etc. too, but I know opinions vary widely on that.

From the family photo I feel so bad for whoever the little girl is that's crying (is it Jordyn?). Not just because she looks miserable, but because she'll be teased for years about that, I bet. Everyone except Josie looks miserable in the other flower girl photo I saw, where they're holding up the signs.

Bridesmaid dresses - I like them except for that white on the bottom. Was it there originally or did they add it?  It sort of matches the pattern in the dress but I shudder to think someone designed them that way originally.  If they did have that added I think going with the same color as the other 'tiers' of the dresses would've looked a lot better. I thought the shoes were pretty much awful. Style wise I think the various shoes would be fine with other outfits or in another setting but to me they just really don't work with these dresses and in a wedding. I should add I'm about the least style-conscious person ever though, and I'm also not that 'trendy' so maybe mismatched worn out looking sandals are a 'thing' now and I'm just not aware of it.

I like the bibles the ringbearers carried. Cool idea.

Thought the guest book idea was also cool and it'll make for a nice scrapbook later.

The cake, wow, was it supposed to look like that? I thought it was very nice that her friend (they have friends outside of the family?) made it for her though.

Edited by NikSac

I looked at her Pintrest page a long time ago and remember it having a very rustic, wedding-in-a-barn type feeling to it.  Unfortunately, the mega church interior is very slick and modern.  The rustic look just doesn't mesh well with the modern, cavernous  high tech look of the church. If she wanted it to be rustic she should have picked a different venue. Of course, they were limited in their choices since there aren't very many places where they could seat  a crowd of 1,000+ guests.

• Love 1

It was like she wanted a certain kind of wedding regardless of the situation.  So far all of my kids have picked the location or the dress and then matched them.  Jill's dress was fine for the church, but the attendants should have been a bit more formal than they were.  I think it's a bit of lack of experience and seeing well done weddings and too much Pinterest.

• Love 1

I recently went to a "barn wedding" and it was so freaking cold (I believe 48 degrees when we left?), I don't understand why it'd be a 'thing.' Like I said, I'm not very trendy, though. I can see where Jill was trying to make it a country/barn style but she was limited in where she could do it. I still say there's no excuse for the bridesmaids' shoes. Is it a Pinterest thing to make the bridesmaids all the same height?

• Love 1
(edited)

Joy and Anna didn't get the "same height" memo. The shoes are okay...if you are wearing jeans! And the dresses are pretty hideous when you look at them close up. Jill's Pinterest model dress had a pretty A-line skirt and utilized that belt, which I also didn't like. Maybe the pop of white could have been in the form of a small white waist sash rather than that godawful third dress tier? That began to verge on Little House territory, and reminded me a bit of the old specials when they wore the clown dresses with pantaloons. Stuff I never thought I'd see again.

I know she was going for Shabby Chic As Seen on Pinterest, but when you're filling up a megachurch with 2900 guests (reports were that the church was full), you just can't have a barn-inspired wedding theme. Just putting some plain putty pumps on the bridesmaids (and flats on Hannie) would have elevated the look of those unforgivable dresses.

Edited by Sew Sumi

I think the wedding was cute. I'm almost 23, so maybe it's my "youth", but I've been to three weddings so far this year (and have another two to go to!) and two of the three have resembled Jill's, although the ones I went to were a little more put together.

The picture of the whole family seemed blurred to me, so I couldn't pick out as many details. Anna's chest is too large for that style dress (I should know - I'm "blessed" in the same area). She needed a v-neck to better suit that area, but she would never wear one anyway.

As for children, I think Jill and Derrick will max out around six. I'm not sure the timing (although a baby or pregnancy by the end of next year wouldn't surprise me), as I think that newlywed life will be pleasant. I do predict that it will be difficult for Jill to adjust. I hope her sister's visit, although not too often and not overstaying their welcome.

I think Derick will be kind and gentle and patient with Jill and whatever children they may or may not have, but I forsee him putting his foot down and keeping it down in regards to Duggar males (and JChelle).

Those bridesmaid dresses plus the shoes...ick. Looks like they are better suited for a coffee date or something. Brown and turquoise can be a gorgeous color combo and here...not so much. I'm really surprised at how casual the brdiesmaids look.

Curious... Would you all watch a Newlywed show centered around this couple? I think I'd watch that over another season of 19 Kids.

I definitely would. I am very curious about how they'll manage as a married couple when there's still so much they don't know about each other.

• Love 1

Anna looks better in the bridesmaids picture than she does in the full family picture, because she is being photographed sideways.  Her chest doesn't overpower the dress in that angle.   Actually hate the white slips even more in this picture, because they now look like USED slips. I do hope they did take the pictures before the wedding, we did at our wedding.  Why?  Because I thought it was silly to make the guests sit and wait for over an hour at the reception while we took pictures.  I went to enough weddings where I did that as a guest.  Some of those weddings were at mealtimes and therefore you were LATE LATE getting anything to eat. 

I am probably in the minority on here, but for the love of God, no Jill and Derick show. I do not want to watch them adjusting to being married or when or how many children they will have. I do not want to watch the family visiting them. It is bad enough watching the family interact with Smuggly do Rite and his family.

Oh yay....finally some snark-worthy stuff!!! I figured it was coming!!

Bridesmaid's dresses? Yuck. Yes, that skirt-extender contraption is off Jill's Pinterest. Doesn't work with the layers of the dresses. Also: Dresses look like cheapo dorm-room curtain fabric.

Bridesmaid's shoes? Seriously? Brown retired-schoolteacher comfort sandals? Matching (fresh and maybe decorated and maybe wedge-heeled) flip-flops would've been better....and kind of ironic and amusing.

Cake? The Leaning Tower of Pisa. Horrendous. I hope the layers didn't slide apart before it was cut.

Anna's boobs? Yikes.

I hope the probably-already-conceived Dillard gets to go to OSU and become the third-generation school mascot. (Yes, male or female...one can only hope.)

• Love 5

drafan, I had a feeling our snark-free love fest wouldn't last! And the Duggars sure didn't disappoint! Bless their hearts for giving us enough material to fill up a thousand forum pages!

Those brown sandals remind me of the Easy Spirit shoe section at Macy's. You can buy nude pumps at Target for thirty bucks that would have looked better than what the J'Slaves and Anna wore.

I guess vintage/rustic/barn is the current theme du jour for weddings but the bridal party is waaaayyy too informal for that massive church.

• Love 2

According to a brief line in US Weekly, Jill and Derick both want as many children as God gives them.  So 6 kids is just the beginning........

Were Jill or Derrick quoted as saying that or was it a warped media report requoted J'Chelle and Boobs mantra?

(edited)

According to a brief line in US Weekly, Jill and Derick both want as many children as God gives them.  So 6 kids is just the beginning........

Well, of course that's what they're going to say. Josh and Anna say the same thing. What they do (or don't do) on their own time, reproductively speaking, is potentially an entirely other thing.

Also, while I really don't care for those dresses or those sandals, at least they're not wearing flip-flops. The dresses are reasonably fashionable too, so that's nice. All over, much better than Anna's fug choices, bless her heart. I also love seeing Hannie with the big girls. When did she get so old??? In my head she's still about 5. Probably equal parts they don't seem to age at a normal rate in that house and everyone else's kids stay the same age while my own kids get older.

Edited by JessDVD
  • Love 2

UGH the cheap looking dresses and the ugly shoes are a huge NO! Belts with a bridesmaid dress who does that????? Why couldn't Jill have picked a long dress to avoid the modesty issue because the white slip thing is just krazy. Jessa feet look dirty and they all should have gotten real haircuts before the wedding. Pictures are forever and  they are not flattering in the least.

The cake ummm it's nice for a shower but not professional enough for a wedding. Even Erin  Bates had a more beautiful cake and they are poor in comparison.

IDK I expected better since they said they had a wedding planner. This wedding looked like it got slapped together in a week. I hope Jessa learns from Jill's mistakes and goes with a better theme.

The cake looks nice for a homemade job but I can't tell if the sliding layers were deliberate or not.

Jinger is unrecognizable. I can't believe how tiny she is, her arms look stick thin in the bridesmaid picture. Jill's dress needed to be tailored a little more snugly, but she probably wasn't comfortable wearing anything too fitted.

They should have gone with a sheet cake if they refused to pay the big bucks for a professionally made one. Cake making is a science and decorating is an art. Both of these things take time to develop and learn. Nothing makes me rage faster than a poorly done cake made by someone who was being too ambitious and lacks the skill to execute the design. 

Sorry, much like my love for green bean casserole I have an even bigger love for baking. One of the most beautiful things in the world (to me, anyway) is a carefully crafted dessert. 

• Love 2

Though I really liked Jill's dress and the bridal party color choices I did not like the bridesmaid's dresses.  But It wasn't MY wedding.  If she was happy with it, then good. I did think they ought to have had matching shoes...and preferably not brown.  The cake...what can I say?  It certainly wasn't a professional job.  But weddings are funny things.  I had a friend who wore her mother's wedding gown.  Though it was made over somewhat I didn't like it at all.  But it was her choice and she was happy with it.  It was her day.  I hope that the wedding was everything Jill had hoped it would be.  I hold out some hope that she will pull back a little from all the Gothard stuff and that Derick will be a liberating influence on her.  If her parents truly love her they will support whatever decisions she makes with regards to how she lives her new life.  It will certainly be conservative compared to most of the rest of the country.  God bless them both.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just want to say that if this marriage works, and I think it will, there is something very special about being in love and being only with one person for life. I am an atheist who married my high school sweetheart. He was not my first kiss but, I was his and we were both virgins. We had sex before we married bit, we have never been with anyone else. We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and we are very happy. Love is a choice and an action not a noun. It is something you give not a feeling. I think we have something very special and I think Jill and Derrick will too. I am very happy for them and I don't think that if she had other experiences sexually or dating other boys would make a difference in her long-term fulfillment.

Edited by psychnurse
  • Love 7

I just finished taking a cake decorating class and I look at beautiful cake decorations all day long on a FB page I belong to. So many girls that are just starting out make cakes that are far better looking then that hot mess of a cake that Jill's friend made. It needed a support system in the center of the cake to help keep it up. Then the buttercreme needed to be made with meringue powder that is more stable then just butter and shortening. I'd love to see the cupcakes all her "wedding team" came up with. I'm still SMH at the DIY hot mess of a wedding the millionaires came up with.

• Love 1

Maybe I am slightly OCD but I'd rather eat a simply made wedding cake than some of these over the top, meticulously decorated cakes.  Who knows how many hands have touched them?  (I'm sure hand were clean, but still)  Watching some of these Cake Boss type shows, I always say - it looks great but I'd never eat it.  Maybe the look is more important anyway.

Is there a link to Jill and Derrick's cake picture?

• Love 5

It's possible Jill's friend really wanted to make the cake for her as a gift, and Jill was too polite to say no and get a professional one.

My SIL had to move up her cake cutting because the homemade tiered cake was looking dangerously close to falling due to improper supports.  But someone special to her made it (and in her case, it was a rather budget wedding.) 

• Love 1

Is it a Pinterest thing to make the bridesmaids all the same height?

I inherited a volume of Emily Post's "Etiquette" from the 1930s.  I've read through it several times because it's such a hoot.  Anyway, one of the things it mentions in regards to weddings is the importance of choosing bridesmaids who are all approximately the same height.  Uniformity was apparently once something to be desired.  Now, granted this is written for the hoity-toity so who knows how common it was.  Maybe it's making a comeback?

It's possible Jill's friend really wanted to make the cake for her as a gift, and Jill was too polite to say no and get a professional one.

That's what I think too.  Or the friend volunteered to make it and Jill, for whatever reason, was convinced she knew what she was doing and so let her.  By the time the cake was done she had to go with it.  I don't think it's terrible-looking.  It kinda fits in with the shabby chic thing.  And I gotta say it's kinda refreshing; professional cakes all start to look the same after a while.  And I'll bet this tasted better than professional cakes with that weird hard fondant stuff instead of frosting.  (I have a thing about fondant, but maybe it's just me).

• Love 5

Buttercreme cakes are making a huge come back as well as multi-tiered cakes of the 1980's. (At least with buttercreme the creme is piped so no hands touch it!)

I's love to see pictures of the cake cutting. I'm sure it's quite sweet! More pictures need to be "leaked" we can't wait to see them all.

I don't like fondant either. I think what would have been better is for the friend to make a small, manageable cake strictly for Derick and Jill, and then do a sheetcake or cupcake tiers for the other guests. It looked like the multi-tiered cake may have started out okay and then the girl got in over her head trying to build up all the layers.

• Love 1

I much prefer buttercream on cakes, but on tiered cakes it's a no-brainer to do fondant because it holds up better. Not to mention that if you're piping with buttercream you had better have a steady hand and a good eye. Piped buttercream can look stunning on cakes, but more often than not you see unevenly spaced drop lines, dumb squiggles, and random dots. 

Go to quiver full of snark and then quiver full of duggars.

That cake looks very homemade, but not bad for homemade.

The everyone the same height thing is weird, but at least they aren't in flip flops.

The only shoes that look really bad to me are the clunky dark ones on far left. The rest are ok.

That's likely why Jessa is in flat sandals rather than wedges like everyone else.  She would be taller than them all if she was in wedges or heels.  Even the little one has cute little wedge sandals!

I think the wedding was cute. I'm almost 23, so maybe it's my "youth", but I've been to three weddings so far this year (and have another two to go to!) and two of the three have resembled Jill's, although the ones I went to were a little more put together.

I think it's cute too and I'm 31 ;)   And for what it could be (matronly and yuck) for being a duggar wedding I think it's absolutely adorable.  Color me shocked the bridesmaid dresses were to the floor.  They're cute. 

I wonder if having the ceremony indoor is just 'safer' for them? Or maybe easier since if it were outside just think of all the chairs and seating they would need to bring together.  Although I know some people who aren't that religious but they are very determined on being married IN a wedding and nothing else. So maybe that's how they think also.

• Love 1

A professional seamstress would have made sure that the second and third layers were of the same length.

A professional seamstress also would have made the hems even. It looks as if the white panels were last-minute additions. The shoes are just wrong.

That said, I think Derrick looks like one of the Scott twins (Drew and Jonathan of Property Brothers), whom I find attractive. Jill looks beautiful and happy.  

• Love 3

I think Derrick looks like one of the Scott twins (Drew and Jonathan of Property Brothers), whom I find attractive.

I had a thought of this in one picture that I saw.  It was the one where Derick was in his car looking back and Jill was outside holding his hand.

drafan, I had a feeling our snark-free love fest wouldn't last! And the Duggars sure didn't disappoint! Bless their hearts for giving us enough material to fill up a thousand forum pages!

Those brown sandals remind me of the Easy Spirit shoe section at Macy's. You can buy nude pumps at Target for thirty bucks that would have looked better than what the J'Slaves and Anna wore.

I guess vintage/rustic/barn is the current theme du jour for weddings but the bridal party is waaaayyy too informal for that massive church.

LOL, several posts have added up to making it irresistible to comment that I am a retired teacher and I wear Easy Spirit shoes that look like the bridesmaids' shoes. In my defense I have not been a bridesmaid for many a moon. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I have heard many times that trumpet/brass players have STRONG lip muscles and that's ALL I'm going to say about that lol.

Their first kiss at the alter.

750151643481bf17eb0c.jpg

Edited by abseedee
  • Love 2

mbutterfly, I was a flight attendant for seven years, so trust me I'm not hating on the Easy Spirits! I think their shoes would be cute with denim skirts or shorts, but for a wedding they should have worn a dressier sandal or a pump.

Jill and Derick's kiss looks a little smushed and awkward, we'll have to see how it plays out on tv. After seeing all these first-kiss Fundie weddings, I'm totally convinced Erin and Chad were making out like horny teenagers prior to their nuptials. Their kiss was way too perfect to be a first-timer.

• Love 3

I don't see a wedding ring on Derick's finger in the picture above. I'm thinking they wouldn't have posed together that day until after? So, did they exchange rings? Or does Jill just wear one?

Hey, J'Chelle. Is the groom supposed to be available for sex on demand? We know that's all you do. It's all about babies. And the man rules the roost. I bet Jill will master the glazed eye look in no time. J'Chelle and Anna sure have.

• Love 1

Buttercream is thankfully replacing fondant.  I'm in the loathe fondant camp.  The  recommended wedding cake bakery here tries to steer people away from fondant.  The owner says they can do 90% or more of the same decorating without using it.  On the plus side, they make great tasting cakes. 

I hope Jill and Derick ended up with a good tasting cake and aside from leaning, I don't think it was that bad.  A lot of the cake ideas Jill had were on the gaudier side.

• Love 1

In the episode where Michelle water skis and accidentally exposes her knees, she clearly states that keeping her knees covered is her own personal conviction to God, not required by their religion.  I think that's proven to be not true by the obvious attempt to insure that even the littlest girls keep their knees covered, even to the extent of adding a separate material to the bottoms of the bridesmaid dresses.

In that picture it actually looks like he's about to pick her up - that might be why it looks awkward. A guy naturally wouldn't bend down to hug someone he's going to kiss.  

In the episode where Michelle water skis and accidentally exposes her knees, she clearly states that keeping her knees covered is her own personal conviction to God, not required by their religion.  I think that's proven to be not true by the obvious attempt to insure that even the littlest girls keep their knees covered, even to the extent of adding a separate material to the bottoms of the bridesmaid dresses.

Cuz knees are sooooooooooo sexy ;) 

For these couples that haven't kissed before but insist on doing so at the altar -- why not go with a chaste peck on the lips so that it doesn't look weird and then you can have a "real" kiss later privately? While the Duggars make a big deal out of this, there are other religions where people don't kiss before marriage -- ultra orthodox Muslims, Jews etc. Guess what they also don't kiss at the altar because they don't want hundreds of people looking at them as they figure out who leans it, worry about missing the lips, looking bad etc.; they may share a hug where it's hard to screw it up. I've know a few of those couples will walk back down the aisle and then share a kiss privately down the hall/in a separate room/on the way to the reception.

• Love 5

Call me a prude, but I do think they go at it in an immodest manner.  I've been to a lot of weddings, none of them who saved the first kiss, and even they do a modest public kiss.  Open mouth at the alter is just too creepy and inappropriate.  The funny thing is, everyone at these weddings is into the kiss.  They go about it like a bunch of freaky voyeurs.  It's like it's the fundy version of HBO for these people.

• Love 10

My SIL had to move up her cake cutting because the homemade tiered cake was looking dangerously close to falling due to improper supports.  But someone special to her made it (and in her case, it was a rather budget wedding.) 

Jill has a friend?!!! 

Btw, I take it back. I would love to see the announcement of Jill's first pregnancy just to see Mullet's head explode because she is jealous of her young, fertile daughter can get knocked up.

I also hope they do not use Derick's mother illness for a storyline. The thought of Mullet pretending to care with her blasted voice and fake smile makes me want to beat my head against the wall.

Call me a prude, but I do think they go at it in an immodest manner.  I've been to a lot of weddings, none of them who saved the first kiss, and even they do a modest public kiss.  Open mouth at the alter is just too creepy and inappropriate.  The funny thing is, everyone at these weddings is into the kiss.  They go about it like a bunch of freaky voyeurs.  It's like it's the fundy version of HBO for these people.

I'll probably sound too critical, but I'm thinking these sorts of things happen when you have a made up religion. 

• Love 6