Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Jill and Derick were pictured sitting in their own small back yard after settling the kids down to listen to something that would wind them down at bedtime. It's possible the kids were already in bed. Seems like reasonable parenting to me. 

The boys were playing with walkie talkie when Jill filmed this video

• Useful 4
55 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I think Jill said the boys were in bed at 6:30p listening to a podcast. They’re bedtime is 7p, but Sam sometimes falls asleep before that.

22 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

The boys were playing with walkie talkie when Jill filmed this video

First I was like whoa, the kids are winding themselves down while the parents are outside - not cool. Then I read Ginger's post and thought, that makes perfect sense. Then I read Snow Fairy's post and thought, WTF.

Parenting 101, have a bedtime routine. At our house we called it brush and flush time. We rarely veered from the routine. It involved either a bath/shower/washing up, teeth brushing, peeing and reading. Sometimes we read to them, but when they were older they mostly read to themselves. The kids loved having one or both of us upstairs chatting and helping them get ready for bed. I think they were almost teenagers before they signaled we weren't really needed at bedtime anymore.

Jill and Derick had plenty of time to sit outside after they settled their kids in.

• Love 6

How...how is listening to a podcast a "hack?"

I don't care about their bedtime routine, but remember that time Jill filmed Israel trying to climb up a running fan? Let's not assume her kids aren't as feral as their cousins just because Jill grew a brain and figured out what not to post on instagram.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I don't usually listen to Jill's videos, but i did listen to this one.

She explained they have found it easier to get the boys to "wind down" and ready for bedtime with the "radio show" and that it was better than the abrupt goodnight, turning off the light and leaving. so there seems to have been some thought there anyway.

As far as being out in the yard, they are what, 10' from their back door, with the boys in bed listening to something?  I have a grand Izzy's age, he is in bed by 7:30. sometimes he is read to and sometimes he reads by himself. 8pm lights out. He is fine upstairs by himself while his parents sit on the deck or whatever. if he needs something he comes down and asks.

I truly don't understand the whole date time - date time is sitting in your own yard and creating content for your followers?? 

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I don't usually listen to Jill's videos, but i did listen to this one.

She explained they have found it easier to get the boys to "wind down" and ready for bedtime with the "radio show" and that it was better than the abrupt goodnight, turning off the light and leaving. so there seems to have been some thought there anyway.

As far as being out in the yard, they are what, 10' from their back door, with the boys in bed listening to something?  I have a grand Izzy's age, he is in bed by 7:30. sometimes he is read to and sometimes he reads by himself. 8pm lights out. He is fine upstairs by himself while his parents sit on the deck or whatever. if he needs something he comes down and asks.

I truly don't understand the whole date time - date time is sitting in your own yard and creating content for your followers?? 

I guess when you never got to date, any time alone with your husband is a date.

Edited by lascuba
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
59 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Helicopter parenting is why kids are so neurotic and anxious all the time.  

The kids were inside winding down while the parents were outdoors.  Before the 21st century, that was considered typical.  How far we've fallen 

Yep, my parents were very strict and hovering compared to many, but at 6 I was a lot more “free range” than most kids today. I walked to school (up the street) and to neighbors’ houses to play, etc. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It doesn't look like a White Claw.  White Claw cans are long and narrow

image.png.79f8a72ecfea0ece1e11fe0809b021d0.png

Speaking of this - I bought a similar beverage on Friday night at a big outdoor concert. They didn’t take cash, only credit cards. The guy asked me if the automatic 20% tip was ok, and I said yes, assuming the drink couldn’t cost more than $10. Well, when I got my receipt it was for $19.20! Now I know why I rarely attend such events. It was good to get out and be outside, but geez!

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Has anyone tried that brand? I love Hibiscus flavoring in beverages. This might have potential.

I'd like to know, too.  I like the carbonated water with that flavor.  

Go Jill!  I just think how far she's come from her shitty parents.  I wouldn't have chosen Dillweed, but they seem to have a happy enough marriage and happy kids, compared to many of their cousins.  

• Love 6

I'm late to the party, but I thought I'd clarify something regarding the timing of Jill's recent Instagram stories.

Instagram's timestamps are somewhat vague, so I instead inspected the source code of those stories (while they were still up) to find the exact time at which they were published.

– The story with the boys and their walkie-talkies was published on Sunday at 5:39 pm Arkansas time.

– The following story, with just Jill and Derick (while the boys are winding down inside, as per Jill), was published almost an hour later, on Sunday at 6:35 pm Arkansas time.

Anyway, seems to me like Jill shared those stories in real time (or close to it).

• Useful 9
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I missed the vote but I like the new thread title.  Glad Jill is not longer Counting On...

Me too. And I was the one who suggested they needed a new title! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Love 13
1 minute ago, BetyBee said:

Parents pay someone to get extra pics of their kid in a high school yearbook? That's bizarre!

Actually, there are more than a few high schools (and middle schools) that do this.  Some schools will turn anything into a way to raise funds.

And I saw the resemblance to Jill right away, too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Parents pay someone to get extra pics of their kid in a high school yearbook? That's bizarre!

In my experience senior tribute pages are not the exception, but the norm. Yearbooks are full color now and pretty expensive to produce, selling the senior tribute pages helps offset the price of producing the book and makes the yearbook more affordable to purchase.. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 5

In my high school, as well as the high school I now teach at, people (mostly parents) can buy "ads" (a quarter of a page up to a full page) that contain a congratulatory message and whatever pictures they want to put on it, usually some kind of montage of now and then/ significant moments. So I would imagine this is something like that (since we can only see these individual pictures and not what else was on that page...). Obviously there would be other pictures of Derrick throughout the yearbook, as well, that no one had to "buy." 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
37 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Makes you wonder if she was simply his date for prom or an actual girlfriend...

Back in the late 80s/Early 90s when I was in HS, yearbooks were indeed very expensive, but I don't recall being able to buy your way into it

I don’t recall how much mine cost, either, in the late 80s, but I worked part time and bought it myself.

• Love 1

My SIL bought one for the parents, Got her parents to buy one and my mom and me to buy another. Nephew was the only kid with more than one. I'm sure he must have been embarrassed by that. I was annoyed that I wasted my portion of the fee. All our names could have gone on one ad like other families had.😒

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I don’t recall my parents caring at all about my yearbook in the 80s. I bought it for me to remember my classmates, etc. I don’t know why parents today are like this! 🤣

I don't think that parents today are 'like this' as it is that the cost of publishing a yearbook, especially with color photos, has gotten hugely expensive and the only way for the school to be able to publish it is to sell more ads; hence, the senior tribute pages.  Otherwise, the yearbook would cost so much that no one would buy it.

The reddit poster made it sound like Derick's parents were over the top in purchasing the ad for Derick, but, it sounds to me like it was probably a common thing and simply a way to support school activities.

I graduated in 1975, my yearbook cost about 40 bucks, I think, and I paid for it myself.  I still have it but haven't looked at it in at least 25 years.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 13