Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

He really made a 180 in terms of getting a solid lifestyle going for his family

Sorta, but the lifestyle is also sort of a mirage. He hasn't had a job with a living wage for how many years now, yet he somehow has this Shiny Happy People thing going on with a mortgage, stay at home wife, two kids and a dog... I think the Dillards will turn out OK, but the white picket fence is kind of bullshit, because it's built on what? His in-laws' reality TV fame? Student loans? Hopefully once he graduates, he'll get them onto actual solid ground.

I think Derick does well in school because in school, you're just responsible for yourself and accountable to yourself. It's all about you. And Derick isn't stupid or lazy, he's just not a team player.

Hopefully, though, he's matured emotionally, mellowed out a bit, and is going to have an easier time fitting into the working world and onto a work team this time around. I frankly expect that. Derick had his weirdo quarter-life-crisis, but he seems to have grown out of that stage of his life and he's a pretty normal adult at this point (aside from being a religious zealot, but I have no hope of that changing 🙄).

Edited by rue721
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, lascuba said:

It could be that Derick suffers from a chronic case of building up fantasies that reality has no hope of living up to. He studied accounting with the hope of working for the FBI--I don't know when or if that dream changed, but being an accountant at Walmart was certainly worlds apart from what he imaged for himself when he chose his major. We went to Danger America and...well, we all saw how that turned out. Hell, him going scorched earth with JB and TLC can also be viewed in the light of disappointed fantasy. If Derick doesn't end up in front of the Supreme Court fighting against abortion/immigration/trans lives in five years, he'll probably rage quit law, too.

I think you might be right about fantasies that get shattered. That seems to be recurring issue with a lot of the people I know who have failure to launch. I could basically write the script of their social media posts about each job they get before they get it. It's the most amazing opportunity that they are so excited for, and it is what they were meant to do . . . until they have a bad day. I can definitely see Derick going into each situation with a very skewed view of what he was actually getting and then getting very demoralized when reality hits. 

I can relate. I never really struggled after graduation (I've always been boringly practical and believe "doing what you love" is for hobbies, career is for money and as long as I don't actively hate what I'm going and have decent work/life balance, I'm good), but I really, really loved school. It was the perfect mix of structure and flexibility, and I got rewarded for studying interesting things. Where's my 4.0 for my recent deep dive into the Romanovs, huh?

If I had unlimited funds I'd spend a good chunk of it getting one degree after another.

Haha I feel this too! I got burnt out in grad school and I'm not sure I'd ever want a formal return to an academic program, but I still have residual urges to write research papers about things I find interesting (mainly books, movies, TV, historical events) and my hobbies just basically consists of random deep dives. If I had a chance to take non-credit classes about topics that interested me, I'd jump on it. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Tammy Faye was sort of like a train wreck--you couldn't look away.  She always seemed kind, however.  I felt sorry for her in her choice of husband.  He was just plain creepy.  

If you mean Jim Bakker (Tammy Faye's first husband), he's still alive and still creepy. Just last year he was in trouble for hawking for fake COVID cures.  I don't much about the second husband. 

Topic: When does Derick finish the semester?

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Temperance said:

If you mean Jim Bakker (Tammy Faye's first husband), he's still alive and still creepy. Just last year he was in trouble for hawking for fake COVID cures.  I don't much about the second husband. 

Topic: When does Derick finish the semester?

Yep, Bakker lives near Branson, MO, on the Arkansas border on a compound, where he has built up this weird new little empire. I have driven through it once out of nosiness (because I used to pass it all the time driving back and forth between Missouri and Arkansas when I was at C of O), and it is creepy as fuck. 

He's also always running help wanted ads in local newspapers for the same jobs or used to, anyway. I assume most people bail pretty quickly. The trouble he got in over the fake Covid cures may have spooked him because he seems to have been fairly quiet since then. 

I can't shake the feeling, though, that Jim Bob might have liked his own Bakker-esque compound. I mean, he has his family compound, but it's not quite the same as your own little mini cult that includes non-relatives. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 6

There's nothing wrong with taking your time and figuring things out and its sometimes brave to completely change your direction, but Derick, a married dad of two, had a luxury most don't - he had TLC money. Depending on how big the JB payout was, it may be sink or swim time for Derick.

Based on Derick's history of lying, I'm guessing they received a payout somewhere between $250,000 - $500,000. And say they lived very conservatively over the last 4 years at around $30,000+ a year, plus Derick's law school costs, at say around $25,000, totaling around $145,000. That leaves them approximately anywhere from $100,000 - $300,000. And that's if they didn't buy their house outright. If they did, they would have no money left or around $100,000.

Obviously these figures are pulled out of thin air, but I'm guessing Derick either needs an income very soon or the Dillards have maybe enough to live on for 3 years or so.

Derick's brass ring chasing days may be over.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2

Derick's success in graduating from law school and passing the bar remains to be seen. If he accomplishes these things on the first try and lands a legal position, his longevity still remains to be seen. My opinion so far with Derick is that he very well may be a professional student. There are many people like him who seem to never finish their studies for one thing or another yet don't seem to be able to work at a J.O.B. long term anywhere either.   

• Love 10

Where's the dog?  I don't know a single new pet owner that doesn't plaster their social media with their new fur babies, at least a few times a week. 

I don't track their social media, so maybe they do updates.  Frankly, Fenna is the only Dilllard/Duggar I'd like photos of.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

13 hours ago, leighdear said:

Where's the dog, Jill?

We don't need to see you rubbing your ass in more new clothes.  

I mean, neither the kids nor Derick are in every post either and they're still around. I don't think it means anything that she has one post without the dog. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Jill sure does interrupt a lot. I wish someone would ask about that!

I haven't watched this video yet, but she always has interrupted, Derick and everyone else. IMO, Derek is much like Ben and Jill has always been in charge.

• Love 8

Watched video.

Side hugging to marriage wasn't awkward.

She hasn't been to TTH in years. Wow. They're invited but they don't go. 

Still believe in creationism, but believe in science like gravity. They will allow that they "don't know" how old the earth is. Says the Bible is 100% true, but it doesn't "answer everything." Jill seems more resistant to the idea of a more fluid creationism than Derick, surprisingly.

Derick thinks it's important to be raised not to rely on a man. He doesn't want 30 year old kids living in their basement. Jill seems very uncomfortable when Derick says this. 

Fenna is still around and someone sent Fenna doggie toys.

Fenna is going to obedience training. She's very "active" and "loving." Which basically describes every puppy ever.

Open to more kids.

• Useful 15
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

He doesn't want 30 year old kids living in their basement. Jill seems very uncomfortable when Derick says this. 

So, he doesn't want any Bunk Bed Jeds! is what you're saying? 🤣

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 22
9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

That was a pretty big box, it was sent to their PO Box from “Jill in Virginia”, and included treats for the boys.

036DB406-5782-4B55-8A12-4EFBBA9D6E2A.jpeg

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Watched video.

Side hugging to marriage wasn't awkward.

She hasn't been to TTH in years. Wow. They're invited but they don't go. 

Still believe in creationism, but believe in science like gravity. They will allow that they "don't know" how old the earth is. Says the Bible is 100% true, but it doesn't "answer everything." Jill seems more resistant to the idea of a more fluid creationism than Derick, surprisingly.

Derick thinks it's important to be raised not to rely on a man. He doesn't want 30 year old kids living in their basement. Jill seems very uncomfortable when Derick says this. 

Fenna is going to obedience training. She's very "active" and "loving." Which basically describes every puppy ever.

Open to more kids.

Thank you. I cannot watch their videos 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Wasn't Jill at the TTH to help Jessa labor with Ivy? That was less than two years ago.

I think the Dillards are exaggerating just a bit. Jill had to get Boob’s permission to go to the TTH so maybe that doesn’t really count. And Boob was nowhere in site IIRC.

Edited by ozziemom
Forgot to be coherent.
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Wasn't Jill at the TTH to help Jessa labor with Ivy? That was less than two years ago.

that is what I was thinking - but is seemed like a sort of a guess "we haven't been there for a few years". possibly it was a slight whitewash that, they as a family, haven't been there as a whole in a few years.

also interesting Derick says they would raise a girl to be independent and follow her interests, not rely on a man. Jill says "whatever floats your boat" to that derick says well no not whatever floats your boat. not be a stripper or exotic dancer.  😂

• LOL 16
16 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Fenna is adorable. I stan. If Jill knows what's good for her, she'd make a separate social media account for Fenna.

From an influencer standpoint, it would be smart. But I think all of the Duggar offspring would be a lot better off if they stopped trying to pimp their lives out on social media. They're just doing a variation of what their parents did to them. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Wasn't Jill at the TTH to help Jessa labor with Ivy?

The rest of the family was away at the time, so she very well could have meant she hasn't been there to see her family in years. Being in the house with only Jessa, who doesn't live there either, isn't the same as being in the house with her parents and the siblings who still live there.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

When it was stated they hadn’t been to “the big house” in years, Derick mentioned going would be triggering. He could have been referring to Josh. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I haven't watched the video, but Derick is the type of asshole who uses "triggering" mockingly.

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I guess technically, a day + 1 year would be more than a year, which makes it years. That's the sort of mealy mouthed logic Derick loves.

• Love 8
Just now, louannems said:

Jill said that god willing, she would have another child, and maybe adopt, and maybe both!!!

I should be used to it by now, but every time any Duggar mentions adoption, my blood runs cold. Every single one of them would be disastrous for an adopted child.

• Love 20
11 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I doubt they will adopt. That’s Jessa’s storyline. And Jessa will not adopt anyone either.

I agree. Jessa's been blathering about adoption for years, yet here she is, knocked up with #4. None of the Duggars will ever adopt.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jill also fessed up to being a Young Earth Creationist. This seems to be a point of contention between the two. 

I will admit, that part of the video was entertaining because they were bickering at each other over it. Derick essentially "has no position" on the age of the earth (translation: he doesn't believe the earth is only 6,000 years old) and Jill's trying to sway him over to her line of thinking on this issue.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
Just now, madpsych78 said:

I will admit, that part of the video was entertaining because they were bickering at each other over it. Derick essentially "has no position" on the age of the earth (translation: he doesn't believe the earth is only 6,000 years old) and Jill's trying to sway him over to her line of thinking on this issue.

Yeah, that's how I read Derelict's position. BUT they don't believe in evolution. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Not really a surprise. Derick went to public schools when he was young. He had to have taken science classes. Even if he doesn't believe in evolution he seems to know that the Bible doesn't answer "all" questions. 

Jill looked very pressed. Wonder if sometimes she resents him because he's so much more educated than her.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

The rest of the family was away at the time, so she very well could have meant she hasn't been there to see her family in years. Being in the house with only Jessa, who doesn't live there either, isn't the same as being in the house with her parents and the siblings who still live there.

This. Jill also mentioned re the question about going to the big house, that there were "restrictions". She's apparently adhering to whatever the restrictions are.

As for more children, I had the impression from their reply, that they very much want them, either biological or adopted or both. 

Jill also clearly stated that she believes the earth to be 6,000 years old and that it was created in 6 literal days. It sounds like they have argued about this in the past and had agreed to let it drop. Derick gave some bs about being to busy to research the age of the earth, but when he's not so busy he will apparently return to the topic and let us know what he decides. They believe the Bible is inerrant, but Derick says it can be interpreted in different ways. Jill seemed frightened of a different interpretation, imo.

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Not really a surprise. Derick went to public schools when he was young. He had to have taken science classes. Even if he doesn't believe in evolution he seems to know that the Bible doesn't answer "all" questions. 

Especially because the Bible does NOT say that the Earth is only 6000 years old. That bit of lunacy is the work of James Ussher, an Anglo-Irish Bishop who, in 1650, announced that by counting backward through the generations in the Bible, he had determined that God created the Earth at 9:00 PM on October 22, 4004 BC. Jill only believes that ""the Bible says" it's true because that's what her parents told her. I doubt if Jill or any of her siblings have actually read the entire Bible; I think they've only read the passages Jim Bob and Michelle have used to reinforce their world view.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15