Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
21 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My ex was into Discus fish. What a pain. We had a 55 gallon tank and he fed them frozen blood worms. The water had to be just so. those fish were so sensitive, I used to joke if you looked at them the wrong way they would be floating. When we moved it was all about keep the fish comfortable and safe...... Best thing we did was give them to someone else! 

Ha. My ex was into cichlids, oscars and some kind of pre-historic catfish, also in enormous tank. They were surprisingly high maintenance and persnickety...and as my belief has always been if you can’t snuggle with a pet why bother...well, there’s another reason he’s the ex!

ETA. Just realized this is the Dillard thread...to get more on topic, they couldn’t handle tropical fish, either. But the odds might be slightly better because fish don’t go anywhere. If all goes as planned, anyway...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 4

One of the folks featured on Life Below Zero is a dog musher. His 20+ dogs live outside in Alaska year round chained to a spike near their dog houses. To me that doesn't feel right, but the dogs seem healthy enough, although they do seem to long for his attention. But they don't die from the extreme weather.

So here's my question. Once a dog is an indoor dog, can it ever safely and happily become an outdoor dog, no matter the breed? Most dogs now have been domesticated far from their original 'purpose'. Like I mentioned in an unrelated post a few weeks back, our chihuahua signals to go inside in the warmer months long before us humans, yet her breed originated in a warmer climate.

Maybe my perspective is messed up a bit. From my childhood through now with our granddog, our pets have always been like family members. Did we make mistakes with our pets? For sure we did! But we were invested in providing a loving home for them, more than we liked the idea of having them. And I think we succeeded in caring very well for them. 

I can't believe I'm so caught up in this, but as I snuggle with my granddog, I find myself feeling concerned for Fenna.

• Love 7
(edited)
26 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

So here's my question. Once a dog is an indoor dog, can it ever safely and happily become an outdoor dog, no matter the breed? Most dogs now have been domesticated far from their original 'purpose'.

Depends on the dog, as usual? I had a wonderful hound mix who was a great, friendly guy but he was also very independent. He was with us wherever we were if he wanted, but he was also just as happy to be hanging around outside watching the wildlife. In his later years he preferred to be outside, no matter how crappy the weather.

Dogs can be acclimated to weather conditions to a certain point, but it takes time. That’s why sled dogs can sleep in the snow. Dogs have a harder time with extreme heat, because they can’t sweat to regulate their body temperature. Obviously shorthaired dogs handle it better than long or double-coated dogs.

Edited by Oldernowiser
Because regular is not regulate. Sheesh.
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

One of the folks featured on Life Below Zero is a dog musher. His 20+ dogs live outside in Alaska year round chained to a spike near their dog houses. To me that doesn't feel right, but the dogs seem healthy enough, although they do seem to long for his attention. But they don't die from the extreme weather.

So here's my question. Once a dog is an indoor dog, can it ever safely and happily become an outdoor dog, no matter the breed? Most dogs now have been domesticated far from their original 'purpose'. Like I mentioned in an unrelated post a few weeks back, our chihuahua signals to go inside in the warmer months long before us humans, yet her breed originated in a warmer climate.

Maybe my perspective is messed up a bit. From my childhood through now with our granddog, our pets have always been like family members. Did we make mistakes with our pets? For sure we did! But we were invested in providing a loving home for them, more than we liked the idea of having them. And I think we succeeded in caring very well for them. 

I can't believe I'm so caught up in this, but as I snuggle with my granddog, I find myself feeling concerned for Fenna.

I'm concerned for Fenna too.  I don't think they know what they're doing with her.

• Love 6

Getting morr on topic, I really wonder whose main idea it was for them to get the dog.  I don't watch their videos, did they say?  I would think that Derrick is rather busy and stressed nearly finishing law school that the last thing on his mind would be to bring a dog into the family.  Perhaps Israel has new friends at school that have dogs and made him interested?   It could be too just something Jill thought would be a good idea ad it's farily obvious they won't be having more kids.  As I said before, this could be good for Jill especially since Derrick will soon be working fairly long hours once he gets a job.  

mg2h7gypq8l61.jpg

• Love 6
4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

(sorry for the window).

I watched Izzy pick up dog poop and dump it in a pile with previously picked up dog poop, along the fence.  Are they not going to bag it up and dispose of it? Derick did buy dog poop bags.

I realize Jill tossed some dog poop near where the dog digs, which is gross enough.  But to just start a mountain of dog poop?  So nasty.

10 minutes ago, louannems said:

watched Izzy pick up dog poop and dump it in a pile with previously picked up dog poop, along the fence.  Are they not going to bag it up and dispose of it? Derick did buy dog poop bags.

I realize Jill tossed some dog poop near where the dog digs, which is gross enough.  But to just start a mountain of dog poop?  So nasty.

I mean, I guess it's better outside than stacked up on a bedroom dresser like Jessa did with the mountain of poopy diapers? Lol. But still, gross.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Do dogs eat their own poop? If yes maybe it’s best to throw it out right away.

(I never had a dog so I don’t know)

I've never had a dog that ate their own poop, but one would gleefully gobble up his own barf. And a couple of them thought the cats' litterbox was a buffet....

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I've never had a dog that ate their own poop, but would gleefully gobble up his own barf. And a couple of them thought the cats' litterbox was a buffet....

Ah yes. Kitty Fritters. Then the dog wants to come snuggle up, give you a big kiss and tell you all about how delicious it was.

Nervous Dog guards his vomit. Guards it seriously, even with me. So the only way to get to it to clean it up is to throw a treat (for the dog who obviously has an upset stomach) outside the nearest door and then close the door behind him.

It’s really no wonder I have gray hair...

To get back on topic... I am somewhat impressed Izzy is helping with poo patrol. It’s not going to last...it’s always “the dog will help teach our children responsibility” and then a month later the adults are doing everything. Usually the wife. Jill, Jill, Jill....what were you thinking?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 9
  • Love 5

My daughter and SIL had a dog before the kids came along.  The kids are now 6 and almost 9.  They are just now showing some solid signs of taking responsibility for the dog.  It was never assumed that they would since the dog preceded their arrival and was viewed as the adults' responsibility.  I think it's nice to see their responsibility for the dog evolving.  I wish Jill and Derick had waited a bit longer to get a dog when Derick was out of school and settled in a job and Sam another year or so older.  When it's a natural development I think it will stick much better than a sudden you have a dog and here are your new jobs.  I hope they can all make the adjustments needed for the doggie to have a happy life.  I'm not sure any of them are really ready, but Derick and Jill seem to be doing much better by the boys than they used to do so maybe they can figure this out.  

Speaking of dogs who didn't or don't like children, daughter's dog loathed children with a barking and snipping hatred.  We all shuddered when she was pregnant.  I took a blanket over with first baby's smell.  We were prepared with gates to separate dog from baby.  Baby came home as we all held our breath.  Grandson began screaming and within two days dog decided the being from Hell was to be avoided at all costs.  If grandson was out of the bassinet, dog was in the guest room upstairs at the far end of the house.

When the second grandchild came home, dog took a look and a sniff and gave a very disgusted look and headed straight for the stairs.  It was plain as anything she was thinking Another One????

Somewhere around 8 months with each she decided they were somewhat acceptable food dispensers.  

• LOL 17
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

This is just a bullshit clickbait tease about the dog, right?

2 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

Yes, why are they talking about a dog like it’s a baby? 

2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

That is what all “influencers” do! Poor dog.

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Because it drives up the click count.

Beyond shameless...

Do y'all realize that the Dillards did not write that? -- it is some celebrity website.

• Love 13
42 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Huh so they still get gifts sent by fans.

Since there are things that might benefit Fenna, that's fine, otherwise it is ridiculous that they get gifts.  They are not needy in any way.

• Love 17

I can’t imagine sending a gift to any of these people, but apparently it is very common. I follow a few You Tubers on SM too and they often refer to things people send. Sometimes it’s something they want them to try and then mention, but lots of times it’s just a random thing. But I’m glad someone sent a book about dog training for kids, hopefully Jill or Dreck read it!

• Love 17
(edited)
9 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I can’t imagine sending a gift to any of these people, but apparently it is very common. I follow a few You Tubers on SM too and they often refer to things people send. Sometimes it’s something they want them to try and then mention, but lots of times it’s just a random thing. But I’m glad someone sent a book about dog training for kids, hopefully Jill or Dreck read it!

I also follow some people on YT who post a mailing address, and get cards, letters, and gifts from people. It's really a thing. The few I follow on YT who list an address, regularly take time on their videos to acknowledge the mail and stuff they get and thank people for it. They are mostly single people who live full time in their vans and post regular updates on their nomad lives. Besides being gracious about what they receive from followers, they work to support themselves. (One is a stagehand, another works as a camp host seasonally to support off-season life, a third does video production work. Just saying.)

IMO, Jill's having a PO Box for that kind of mail is just typical on SM, for folks who maintain a regular SM presence with a lot of followers.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6

I know Jill spent part of her childhood on TV, and Izzy and Sam have had their childhoods documented on SM, but receiving mail, even well meaning mail, from strangers is creepy to me. And how do they explain that to their kids? Do the kids think every family gets random gifts in the mail?

• Love 16
(edited)
19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I know Jill spent part of her childhood on TV, and Izzy and Sam have had their childhoods documented on SM, but receiving mail, even well meaning mail, from strangers is creepy to me. And how do they explain that to their kids? Do the kids think every family gets random gifts in the mail?

Since the mail goes to a PO Box and not their home address, it's not like the kids would automatically see that mail unless Jill or Derick take them to the PO when they pick it up. It's more like business mail than personal mail in that sense.

I think most young kids take life as it comes, and the Dillards' kids are probably no different. At their current ages, if they even notice that mom got something in the mail, it's probably not a big deal. As they get older they will learn, the way most kids do, that not everyone's life is identical. Sometimes it's explained to them in advance, and sometimes they learn another way that, for example, not everybody puts up a Christmas tree, or says grace before dinner, or goes to IBLP Family Conferences, or has parents who have a million SM followers, or has two parents living at home with them.

I just don't see the Dillards' having a publicly posted PO Box and getting mail from their SM or media followers, as a big deal in the scheme of things.

Edited by Jeeves
grammar. I aspire to do it right.
  • Love 18
(edited)

I’m surprised they didn’t foster first. I am a single mom with two jobs, and my daughter wanted a “better” pet than a fish, and I was worried about the commitment, but applied to foster a hard-to-place cat. I got a timid, traumatized ten year old who had been on the streets her first eight years and in and out of homes the past two. 

She became a foster fail seven months later. A few months later, we thought she might like a companion, but we’re also unsure how she’d act, especially because some of her trauma involved kittens she had had, so, we arranged for a “trial” placement of a three month old male kitten to see if they’d be a good match, with the understanding that if it didn’t work after a couple months, we’d return him,  because we’d worked so hard on bringing our first cat to a good place and didn’t want her seriously regressing, and, because of her history, she was priority number one. 

Within 48 hours they were grooming each other, and he also became a foster fail.

My ex routinely fosters kittens and when they’re old enough to go to permanent homes, that’s what’s done. Fostering is a great way to “try out” pet ownership, and find out if you really are ready for that commitment, and I wish more people would try it. 

Edited by Monkeyrocks
Day-drinking isnt the best for preventing typos
  • Useful 3
  • Love 19
4 hours ago, ozziemom said:

So have I. I still think its weird.

• Love 8

I can understand the YouTubers who do videos trying the stuff people send to them.  But just getting free gifts from fans does seem slightly creepy.  I do wonder if they get stuff they never mention like LGBT brochures, etc.  I'm pretty sure Jill involves the kids because I remember her doing a video of them going to the post office to get "happy mail".  I wonder if they still do it.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, ozziemom said:

It's like totally a thing now. I follow someone on SM who doesn't even have that many followers (maybe a couple thousand) and she's constantly doing "unboxing" videos where she oohs and aahs over gifts people have sent her. It's become a way of growing your brand -- suppose you sell something on etsy they send gifts out to people on SM hoping to get a plug.

In this case the doggy care book actually is a good, inexpensive gift. Jill's also gotten clothes and jewelry too, which is just weird.

• Love 6
(edited)

I remember a video she posted when they made a trip to the post office to pick up “happy mail”. Sam opened an envelope that contained paw patrol stickers. This was something from a stranger, and Jill should have handled the envelope and opened it, perhaps even without the boys present,  IMO.

It may be typical through being on social media, but you never know what people will send.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17

I think it's weird, but it's a weird phenomena that's been around for a while. I've read that lots of people sent Shirley Temple toys when she was the richest kid around and it was the height of the depression, so there were plenty of non-famous kids who would have loved a new toy. I wish Jill and other SM parents would a. take their kids out of the spotlight and b. encourage people to give stuff to people who actually need it, but I blame the gift givers more than Jill. She's not saying no, but she's not Jill R grifting for houses, cars and home renovations. 

• Love 4

I agree that it was thoughtless of Jill to assume it would be okay to open a letter or package from a stranger in front of - and with - the kids. She really needs to stop and think that somebody could send them hate mail, and therefore she should screen that stuff before showing any of it to the kids.

I don't think that her clueless attitude is exclusively a Duggar thing; there are plenty people of all ages who can be amazingly naive about things like that. Until, of course, something nasty happens.

Maybe Jill has by now realized the possibilities for nastygrams arriving in their mail, and no longer involves the kids in opening the mail from the PO Box unless she knows the sender. 

• Love 8

This whole SM gift giving culture has become deeply weird. Awhile back there was a huge controversy when a Broadway star auctioned off this jacket a fan group had given her. Fans were outraged when they saw the gift they had given this star auctioned.

In Jill's case it seems like most of the gifts are smaller, more inexpensive items so it doesn't seem that off the wall. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I remember a video she posted when they made a trip to the post office to pick up “happy mail”. Sam opened an envelope that contained paw patrol stickers. This was something from a stranger, and Jill should have handled the envelope and opened it, perhaps even without the boys present,  IMO.

It may be typical through being on social media, but you never know what people will send.

Oh dear. Can you imagine if dick pics spilled out?! 

7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I also follow some people on YT who post a mailing address, and get cards, letters, and gifts from people. It's really a thing. The few I follow on YT who list an address, regularly take time on their videos to acknowledge the mail and stuff they get and thank people for it. They are mostly single people who live full time in their vans and post regular updates on their nomad lives. Besides being gracious about what they receive from followers, they work to support themselves. (One is a stagehand, another works as a camp host seasonally to support off-season life, a third does video production work. Just saying.)

IMO, Jill's having a PO Box for that kind of mail is just typical on SM, for folks who maintain a regular SM presence with a lot of followers.

I live in a nice place (apt.).. I'm gonna see if i can get free shit to my mailbox.. NOT

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well...it may be a regular contributor whose packages she recognizes?

Sad to think someone could be a regular, but I wouldn’t be surprised, either.

More than likely it was sent via Amazon, which makes it a bit less creepy.  If someone is sending them stuff, I"m glad its a book geared toward the kids and toward a need: dog training.  It's a nice way to get the family to work together to train Fenna.  And since it's "for kids", it should be enjoyable for the entire family.  I'm sure it's a nice break from Torts and Nutshell books for Derrick.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

This whole SM gift giving culture has become deeply weird. Awhile back there was a huge controversy when a Broadway star auctioned off this jacket a fan group had given her. Fans were outraged when they saw the gift they had given this star auctioned.

In Jill's case it seems like most of the gifts are smaller, more inexpensive items so it doesn't seem that off the wall. 

I don't understand giving gift to celebrities. How naïve of them to think that the celebrities would want any of that. Also, they make more money than you, they can buy their own stuff.  

• Love 23
26 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I don't understand giving gift to celebrities. How naïve of them to think that the celebrities would want any of that. Also, they make more money than you, they can buy their own stuff.  

Maybe someone is genuinely worried about the dog and hopes that by sending a book, it will give the Dillard's some information on how to raise a happy puppy? I think this is about as pointed as it gets.  It's not really for Jill but for the dog? Maybe?  

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, hathorlive said:

Maybe someone is genuinely worried about the dog and hopes that by sending a book, it will give the Dillard's some information on how to raise a happy puppy? I think this is about as pointed as it gets.  It's not really for Jill but for the dog? Maybe?  

I wasn't talking about the Dilllards but real famous people, but in this particular case, I think that book is not a bad idea. 

Edited by Future Cat Lady
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7