Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Chris Knight

Jill & Derick Dullard: Counting On (Donations)

On 2/25/2021 at 8:18 AM, Growsonwalls said:

One thing about Belgian Mals and GSD's (they're very similar type dogs) is that they are extremely gentle with kids. High energy, but love kids. 

Not always. A GSD went after my three-year-old sister and bit her in the face...thirty stitches...we were visiting family friends and my sister was just standing next to the dog. They are serious, intense dogs...NOT for novice or flaky dog owners. They need training and a job or they’ll decide what that job is on their own. We didn’t even keep them at the shelter where I volunteered...too volatile. We had connections with a rescue and sent them there for evaluation and fostering.

I hope there’s enough retriever or something mellow in the “mix” to soften her a little.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Like 4
  • Useful 4
  • Sad 4

Jill has talked about setting boundaries, recommended books on the subject, and they have attended counseling. I think this can relieve a lot of stress if the two of them are in sync.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

They really don't care for each other at all if they're in the play petty games stage.

I think this is a default setting for both of them. 

• Like 13
  • Laugh 6

6 minutes ago, awaken said:

What was the point of the mask if she takes it off with friends?

To follow the rules of establishments? 

• Like 4

On 2/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I believe at least one of the kids called it a "pee-pee holder." Not cutesy, but... kind of weird.

My cousin, who was 4 when her brother was born, called it a "urine nozzle" because she'd never seen such a thing and had no word for it!

Back on topic, sort of, when I went back to finish my degree in my early 30s, I wrote a whole paper about using the correct terminology for body parts. I'd had a friend whose daughter was being molested by a family friend, but they didn't catch on for a long time because they had taught their five daughters (no sons) to call everything below the waist their "Bottom" so when the child kept telling them that her bottom hurt, they kept brushing it off thinking she had fallen or something.

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 23

3 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

My cousin, who was 4 when her brother was born, called it a "urine nozzle" because she'd never seen such a thing and had no word for it!

Back on topic, sort of, when I went back to finish my degree in my early 30s, I wrote a whole paper about using the correct terminology for body parts. I'd had a friend whose daughter was being molested by a family friend, but they didn't catch on for a long time because they had taught their five daughters (no sons) to call everything below the waist their "Bottom" so when the child kept telling them that her bottom hurt, they kept brushing it off thinking she had fallen or something.

That's so unfortunate for the young girl! Her parents weren't aware predators don't always just assault the 'front part'? So even if she was saying bottom its still alarming. I hope they figured it out sooner rather than later.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, iwantcookies said:

I hope they name the dog Michelle 🤣🤣🤣

That would have been fun. 😂

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

Aw, I liked the name Grindel, but Fenna is cute as well.

I think if they're consistent with the training, she's going to be an awesome pet. She still has that puppy energy, but didn't seem overly jumpy or rough with the kids. 

• Like 18

Thank god that dog is an inside dog, unlike poor Brielle. 

And ... cute dog. I have a special affection for GSD;s as this adorable GSD is the main bomb-sniffer at the Met Opera. This dog recognizes me and always snuggles when I say hi. So cute.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Like 15

So instead of baby # 3...Jill and co get a dog.  A nice typical middle class move.

And I'm guessing she's handling the social media and YouTube channel to get some coin.  If sone right, one can make decent bank on YouTube.  All depends on views, ads, and adsense partnership (and Nov/Dec pays more..than in January).

• Like 12
  • Useful 4

1 minute ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

So instead of baby # 3...Jill and co get a dog.  A nice typical middle class move.

And I'm guessing she's handling the social media and YouTube channel to get some coin.  If sone right, one can make decent bank on YouTube.  All depends on views, ads, and adsense partnership (and Nov/Dec pays more..than in January).

Doggie vloggers can get a lot of money. I'm not sure Jill's audience is that into dogs but I follow several doggie vloggers. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

I am happy for the boys and the whole family because I love dogs and as a single act have had a dog/s since 1983. They are really lucky, that is a really great pup. Given they are first time dog owners they are going pretty good. I could critique a few things but so could I have been with my first dog. They all are involved and I think Derick might be as happy as the boys. I really hope it works out as dogs can teach them and the boys so much. Given Derick is not so much into the Duggar way the dog stands a better chance. Them having a dog makes me think of Jill's buddy Jenni  who loved animals and wanted to be a vet. I so hope she can break away from her family and do more than get married and have babies. 

• Like 19

I really enjoyed watching them with the new dog.  Looks like a great match!

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Me too, they all look so happy and the pup looks right at home with the family.

Going on walks and playing in the backyard will be so much fun for the boys with their new companion.

I love that they got a rescue pup from a shelter ❤🐶 

Edited by Joan of Argh · Reason: Spelling
  • Like 21

New dog owners are usually enthusiastic. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to embrace the dog in the coming months. Although Jill has learned to be careful about what she posts because of the "Karens" out there. Hopefully, for Fenna's sake, they'll be a great dog family. 

• Like 19

13 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm impressed that Jill is giving the boys tips and reminders.  She seems to be paying attention to the fact that kids need guidance around pets.  I'm over the moon that the dog is living/sleeping in the house.  I give her 5 days before Fenna is trying to get in bed with Izzy.  She seems very at home with the Dillards.  The rest of the stuff (rawhides are horrible) are things many experienced pet owners do. I hope Jill gets a book on dog training.  Its a nice way to teach the kids boundaries with the dog and a fun activity for the entire family.

• Like 16

It's awesome that Fenna already has her doggie bed and crate. I wonder if Derick had dogs growing up. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

It's awesome that Fenna already has her doggie bed and crate. I wonder if Derick had dogs growing up. 

If he did, he must have been very young. He didn't seem to know much about picking out food, and the crate he bought her was too small. A lot of people gave them good advice via Instagram, so hopefully they read through the comments.

• Like 12

It was mentioned that Derick had a dog until he was about 5.

• Like 2
  • Useful 8

Don't shelters usually tell adopters what brand of food the animal has been eating, to make the transition easier? Though I guess the shelter animals may be fed a brand that isn't sold in small sizes or in regular stores.

• Like 4

I'm having a hard not thinking Jill is like Carlin having a pet to increase SM traffic. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Jill posted this yesterday:

88BB124B-9D7B-4319-9E13-7CD94C25C70E.jpeg

I guess this so-called "puppy probs" video has to do with Sam because he was hashtagged but not Izzy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I guess this so-called "puppy probs" video has to do with Sam because he was hashtagged but not Izzy.

It could, but he was in the picture in the post. I only included the new video part.

85163AB0-9D69-436D-84B0-B58A15EBAFD3.jpeg

4A93A912-0642-4BA7-BBE3-1ED4DBFED508.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

4 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Oh know, I hope Sam wasn't bitten!  Jill and Derick never mentioned why the dog was turned in to the shelter.  Did the dog have a back history of bad behavior?  I would want to know before bringing home a dog with little kids around.

3 hours ago, louannems said:

Oh know, I hope Sam wasn't bitten!  Jill and Derick never mentioned why the dog was turned in to the shelter.  Did the dog have a back history of bad behavior?  I would want to know before bringing home a dog with little kids around.

The Humane Society is very good about testing most of their animals.  From what I've read, Fenna plus a sibling were found running free and brought to the shelter.  I would think puppy problems could be less serious things, like Fenna chewing shoes, kid's toys, jumping on the table.  The dog looked very happy to be around the family and the kids.  Most new dog owners experience some kind of issue with dogs at some point.  

Edited by hathorlive · Reason: Because we probably don't check humans out enough with kids
  • Like 15

Lets face it, all puppies have the middle name Problem. Teething/chewing, housebreaking accidents, playful puppy energy and jockeying for position are all 'problems'. Its just the name of the game.

I hope the Dillards take it in stride and teach/train, keep calm and move on.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, hathorlive said:

The Human Society is very good about testing most of their animals. 

I only wish we had a Human Society.  Then we could turn some of them in when we grow tired of dealing with them.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 22

30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Lets face it, all puppies have the middle name Problem. Teething/chewing, housebreaking accidents, playful puppy energy and jockeying for position are all 'problems'. Its just the name of the game.

I hope the Dillards take it in stride and teach/train, keep calm and move on.

Well if you name it Problem, what do you expect?   j/k   My husband always likes to joke about never being a good idea to name a dog Puddles.

This is a great opportunity for their family and the dog if they put in the effort to learn and train, largely that applies to themselves.

• Like 4

Jill seems to want to do the things she didn't do as a kid. A healthy relationship with animals is one of those "I never got to do this as a kid" stuff. So is watching TV series (even if it's something cheesy and Jesusy as The Chosen), wearing pants, getting a nose ring, cutting her hair. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Quof said:

I only wish we had a Human Society.  Then we could turn some of them in when we grow tired of dealing with them.

LOL.  We definitely need one, right?

2 hours ago, Quof said:

LOL.  We definitely need one, right?

I watched the video and I thought it was pretty cute. They are all very loving and gentle with the dog. I'm glad they chose a rescue and Fenna seems pretty calm. It was so cute the way she went right to her bed. Sam is pretty young, but not so young that he would climb on her, so I'm hopeful that all will go well. A bigger crate would be better for her, but if she really is housebroken, maybe they won't need one for long. Did they say she has a messed up ear and that they were drawn to her because they read that dogs with imperfections don't tend to get adopted? If so, I think that shows kindness on the part of Jill and Derick. Fenna isn't just an accessory, but an actual family member. I hope!

• Like 17

Derick stated the crate was the largest at Walmart. Order Online, Derick. Yes, he also stated dogs with perceived imperfections are less likely to be adopted. 

I was surprised Jill instructed the boys to never reach for Fenna’s toys or food. Hopefully the Dillard children won’t be feral like their aunts, uncles, and cousins. 

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I watched the video and I thought it was pretty cute. They are all very loving and gentle with the dog. I'm glad they chose a rescue and Fenna seems pretty calm. It was so cute the way she went right to her bed. Sam is pretty young, but not so young that he would climb on her, so I'm hopeful that all will go well. A bigger crate would be better for her, but if she really is housebroken, maybe they won't need one for long. Did they say she has a messed up ear and that they were drawn to her because they read that dogs with imperfections don't tend to get adopted? If so, I think that shows kindness on the part of Jill and Derick. Fenna isn't just an accessory, but an actual family member. I hope!

The fact that she went right to the bed probably means that she had one at some point, so hopefully she originally came from a decent home. Who knows how she ended up on the street? I guess that when pets are not microchipped, it's much easier for them to end up where the owners can not be traced. We once had a dog that came from a rescue place outside New York. Among other fixations, she LOVED stuffed toys, and thought any one she saw was definitely her property, and loved park benches. There were not a lot of park benches in our neck of the woods, but if we had her walking somewhere that there was a bench, she immediately made a beeline and made herself comfortable on it. We could only assume that she had been walked in parks quite a bit in her previous life. In any case, it did appear that whatever her circumstances were before we had her, she must have had a pretty good home. She had been in the rescue place for about 8 months before we got her, though, so her previous owners must not have been able to track her down.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm having a hard not thinking Jill is like Carlin having a pet to increase SM traffic. 

Of course. I wish her therapist would work on him explain to Jill that life can happen without it being posted, too. I think she, more so than Derreck, might have a problem processing that given the way she was raised.

edit: Is the dog spayed? You never know with these types.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Of course. I wish her therapist would work on him explain to Jill that life can happen without it being posted, too. I think she, more so than Derreck, might have a problem processing that given the way she was raised.

edit: Is the dog spayed? You never know with these types.

I think dogs get spayed/neutered before they are adopted out

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Like 15

Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings.