Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I guess this so-called "puppy probs" video has to do with Sam because he was hashtagged but not Izzy.

It could, but he was in the picture in the post. I only included the new video part.

85163AB0-9D69-436D-84B0-B58A15EBAFD3.jpeg

4A93A912-0642-4BA7-BBE3-1ED4DBFED508.jpeg

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I guess this so-called "puppy probs" video has to do with Sam because he was hashtagged but not Izzy.

Oh know, I hope Sam wasn't bitten!  Jill and Derick never mentioned why the dog was turned in to the shelter.  Did the dog have a back history of bad behavior?  I would want to know before bringing home a dog with little kids around.

(edited)
3 hours ago, louannems said:

Oh know, I hope Sam wasn't bitten!  Jill and Derick never mentioned why the dog was turned in to the shelter.  Did the dog have a back history of bad behavior?  I would want to know before bringing home a dog with little kids around.

The Humane Society is very good about testing most of their animals.  From what I've read, Fenna plus a sibling were found running free and brought to the shelter.  I would think puppy problems could be less serious things, like Fenna chewing shoes, kid's toys, jumping on the table.  The dog looked very happy to be around the family and the kids.  Most new dog owners experience some kind of issue with dogs at some point.  

Edited by hathorlive
Because we probably don't check humans out enough with kids
  • Love 15

Lets face it, all puppies have the middle name Problem. Teething/chewing, housebreaking accidents, playful puppy energy and jockeying for position are all 'problems'. Its just the name of the game.

I hope the Dillards take it in stride and teach/train, keep calm and move on.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, hathorlive said:

The Human Society is very good about testing most of their animals. 

I only wish we had a Human Society.  Then we could turn some of them in when we grow tired of dealing with them.

• LOL 22
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Lets face it, all puppies have the middle name Problem. Teething/chewing, housebreaking accidents, playful puppy energy and jockeying for position are all 'problems'. Its just the name of the game.

I hope the Dillards take it in stride and teach/train, keep calm and move on.

Well if you name it Problem, what do you expect?   j/k   My husband always likes to joke about never being a good idea to name a dog Puddles.

This is a great opportunity for their family and the dog if they put in the effort to learn and train, largely that applies to themselves.

• Love 4

Jill seems to want to do the things she didn't do as a kid. A healthy relationship with animals is one of those "I never got to do this as a kid" stuff. So is watching TV series (even if it's something cheesy and Jesusy as The Chosen), wearing pants, getting a nose ring, cutting her hair. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Quof said:

I only wish we had a Human Society.  Then we could turn some of them in when we grow tired of dealing with them.

LOL.  We definitely need one, right?

2 hours ago, Quof said:

LOL.  We definitely need one, right?

I watched the video and I thought it was pretty cute. They are all very loving and gentle with the dog. I'm glad they chose a rescue and Fenna seems pretty calm. It was so cute the way she went right to her bed. Sam is pretty young, but not so young that he would climb on her, so I'm hopeful that all will go well. A bigger crate would be better for her, but if she really is housebroken, maybe they won't need one for long. Did they say she has a messed up ear and that they were drawn to her because they read that dogs with imperfections don't tend to get adopted? If so, I think that shows kindness on the part of Jill and Derick. Fenna isn't just an accessory, but an actual family member. I hope!

• Love 17

Derick stated the crate was the largest at Walmart. Order Online, Derick. Yes, he also stated dogs with perceived imperfections are less likely to be adopted. 

I was surprised Jill instructed the boys to never reach for Fenna’s toys or food. Hopefully the Dillard children won’t be feral like their aunts, uncles, and cousins. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I watched the video and I thought it was pretty cute. They are all very loving and gentle with the dog. I'm glad they chose a rescue and Fenna seems pretty calm. It was so cute the way she went right to her bed. Sam is pretty young, but not so young that he would climb on her, so I'm hopeful that all will go well. A bigger crate would be better for her, but if she really is housebroken, maybe they won't need one for long. Did they say she has a messed up ear and that they were drawn to her because they read that dogs with imperfections don't tend to get adopted? If so, I think that shows kindness on the part of Jill and Derick. Fenna isn't just an accessory, but an actual family member. I hope!

The fact that she went right to the bed probably means that she had one at some point, so hopefully she originally came from a decent home. Who knows how she ended up on the street? I guess that when pets are not microchipped, it's much easier for them to end up where the owners can not be traced. We once had a dog that came from a rescue place outside New York. Among other fixations, she LOVED stuffed toys, and thought any one she saw was definitely her property, and loved park benches. There were not a lot of park benches in our neck of the woods, but if we had her walking somewhere that there was a bench, she immediately made a beeline and made herself comfortable on it. We could only assume that she had been walked in parks quite a bit in her previous life. In any case, it did appear that whatever her circumstances were before we had her, she must have had a pretty good home. She had been in the rescue place for about 8 months before we got her, though, so her previous owners must not have been able to track her down.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm having a hard not thinking Jill is like Carlin having a pet to increase SM traffic. 

Of course. I wish her therapist would work on him explain to Jill that life can happen without it being posted, too. I think she, more so than Derreck, might have a problem processing that given the way she was raised.

edit: Is the dog spayed? You never know with these types.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6
(edited)
12 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Of course. I wish her therapist would work on him explain to Jill that life can happen without it being posted, too. I think she, more so than Derreck, might have a problem processing that given the way she was raised.

I think dogs get spayed/neutered before they are adopted out

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 15
11 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Well on the one hand that's good. If Fenna becomes part of her SM brand she's less likely to ditch Fenna. With Joy/Austin and poor Brielle I feel like they got the dog and had no intention of keeping it as a part of their brand, so that dog ... who knows what happened?

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The fact that she went right to the bed probably means that she had one at some point, so hopefully she originally came from a decent home. Who knows how she ended up on the street?

Given that Fenna is a mixed breed, my guess is someone's dog had an unwanted litter, and the owner wasn't able to get rid of all the pups. They were either let go or dumped.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I think dogs get spayed/neutered before they are adopted out

I believe they do take care of that if it isn't already done. Both my adopted cats were. 

• Love 2

Please, just stop putting your every little struggle and problem online, Jill. Less is more. A whole lot less. Seems like a five minute video covering your dog’s first week at home will probably be enough. And even that is kind of optional. 

• Love 18

So they put a blanket on the concrete pad and that's where she was when they got back from church. Jill said it was much warmer, in the 40's. Don't think I'd be leaving my dog out in 40 degree weather. I don't think they can trust her inside when they aren't home. Jill tied her leash to a chair while she got dressed and Fenna chewed through it. She also chewed their cherry tree in half and Jill was not happy. Also dug under their fence. From what I gather, Fenna will be sleeping outside in her dog house. If they plan to keep her outside all the time, I feel bad for the neighbors because I don't doubt that she'll bark a lot out there.

If they still have this dog at the end of the month, I'd be surprised. She is starting obedience school and they were excited about that. I think anyone who wants to get a dog should really research which kind they want first and what it takes to train a dog when you first bring them home. They are a lot of work and it takes time. I think they are better off with either a smaller dog or no dog at all.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Dirndl said:

This poor dog. It seems like they keep her outside. Why would you get a dog of you don't want it in your house? 

Because they're too lazy to housebreak it /take it outside when it needs to go, and teach it how to act in the house so it's not destroying everything. 

• Love 2

i think she said the dog dragged the towel/bed out of the kennel onto the concrete while they were at church and it was ok because it was 40

so basically the pup didn't sleep well in a new home the first few nights. they don't walk/interact with the dog enough, the dog doesn't like the outside kennel. the dog digs under the fence because there is a dog next door. Jill pours lemon juice, cayenne pepper and something else  to deter digging.  Izzy's job is scooping poop and throwing it in a pile next to the fence with the other dog......

but hey y'all send your tips so she can get comments and make a few bucks

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Because they're too lazy to housebreak it /take it outside when it needs to go, and teach it how to act in the house so it's not destroying everything. 

That's exactly the reason why I don't have a dog. I don't want the extra work, I don't want to go outside in horrible weather,... . I get all that but then don't get a dog! Fenna seemed so happy in the beginning of the video 😢

I believe there’s some lab in that dog, which could make her more child-friendly, but it also means she is going to chew EVERYTHING. And she’ll have a ton of energy and her brains won’t arrive for a while. And I say this as someone who’s had three Goldens over the decades and am expecting our fourth next fall.

It would not surprise me a bit if she goes back to the shelter. The Dillards don’t know shit about raising a young dog and with Sam’s age...we heard “she knocks my toddler down” at the shelter all the time. There’s a reason many, many rescue groups won’t adopt to families with young children...too high a failure rate.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Aww. That dog seems really sweet, just high energy. And if she has some GSD in her they are HIGHLY intelligent and thus will chew a rope or figure out a way to go "on a walk" if they aren't taken out on a walk.

I also don't get how Jill, who stays at home all day with one kid, is so overwhelmed. Fenna doesn't seem particularly high maintenance. Just a typical puppy. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Aww. That dog seems really sweet, just high energy. And if she has some GSD in her they are HIGHLY intelligent and thus will chew a rope or figure out a way to go "on a walk" if they aren't taken out on a walk.

I also don't get how Jill, who stays at home all day with one kid, is so overwhelmed. Fenna doesn't seem particularly high maintenance. Just a typical puppy. 

My understanding is she is part Malinois, not GSD. 

• Love 2

Fenna seems really sweet. My heart hurts. The most important things for a family dog is that they are not aggressive and that they're kid friendly. Fenna seems to be both -- I loved how the neighborhood kids were fussing over her.

• Love 2
(edited)

From the AKC’s breed description of the Malinois...

Highly intelligent, athletic, and muscular, and exceedingly devoted, the Malinois need to be actively engaged with his owner, both mentally and physically. This is not a dog who can be left in the backyard, and daily walks are not enough, either. Exercise, and plenty of it, preferably side by side with his owner, is paramount to the breed’s happiness. To deprive a Malinois of activity and human companionship is to deprive him of his very reasons for being. Malinois make great running, hiking, and biking companions, and they excel at agility, tracking, herding, obedience, and Schutzhund (protection) competitions.

Do these chucklefucks never research ANYTHING? They are back on my shitlist. 

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 13
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Dirndl said:

That's exactly the reason why I don't have a dog. I don't want the extra work, I don't want to go outside in horrible weather,... . I get all that but then don't get a dog! Fenna seemed so happy in the beginning of the video 😢

And it is why I have a cat. I didn't the thought of walking a dog. When I was little we adopted a puppy. It took awhile but he got over his craziness. Even my cat had his moments as he was a kitten when we got him. He is almost three and just starting to calm down. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

From the AKC’s breed description of the Malinois...

Do these chucklefucks never research ANYTHING? They are back on my shitlist. 

Yeah this is what I've been saying from the beginning. I know the dog is half, so it's going to have other traits as well, but my experience with my dad's Malinois is that they really do need a lot of exercise and engagement (and purpose) to be happy campers. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

It really upsets me when people adopt animals without being properly prepared. I adopted 2 cats last March (Sunday is their cativersary!) and had everything ready for them when I brought them home. Appropriate carriers, multiple cat beds, toys, scratching posts, the food that they had at the shelter, etc. We had a room set up for them where they could hide in comfort until they felt comfortable to come out, since cats often hide for hours if not days when they first came home. Fortunately they acclimated so quickly and were out exploring/climbing on our laps within an hour. The first weekend we got very little sleep because they were running everywhere, playing and jumping on us - very typical for young cats (they were one at the time). We were prepared for the good and the bad, because we did our homework! 

Well my experience is the opposite. I was going to work and heard a kitten crying. She had been abandoned. I knew I couldn't leave her out there so I put her in my apartment. I had nothing, not even a kitty litter. After work I went to Walmart and got a crash course in what to buy. 

But I think it's more like an emotional commitment. The Duggars in general are very poor with emotional commitments to people other than themselves.

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

It really upsets me when people adopt animals without being properly prepared. I adopted 2 cats last March (Sunday is their cativersary!) and had everything ready for them when I brought them home. Appropriate carriers, multiple cat beds, toys, scratching posts, the food that they had at the shelter, etc. We had a room set up for them where they could hide in comfort until they felt comfortable to come out, since cats often hide for hours if not days when they first came home. Fortunately they acclimated so quickly and were out exploring/climbing on our laps within an hour. The first weekend we got very little sleep because they were running everywhere, playing and jumping on us - very typical for young cats (they were one at the time). We were prepared for the good and the bad, because we did our homework! 

When I adopted my first cat, I did the same. I had everything set in the house when we left to the shelter. With our second cat, we had only kept a few things from our Eliot, a pet bed, some toys, his collar. We knew that we wouldn't use the bed or the collar but a few of the toys were fine. I remember a few days before we were due to go, we went out and got everything you could imagine, including a high climbing tower. Yes, we had experience, but if you plan on adopting, set out to at least get some of the basics.....

3 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well my experience is the opposite. I was going to work and heard a kitten crying. She had been abandoned. I knew I couldn't leave her out there so I put her in my apartment. I had nothing, not even a kitty litter. After work I went to Walmart and got a crash course in what to buy. 

But I think it's more like an emotional commitment. The Duggars in general are very poor with emotional commitments to people other than themselves.

That is a different story. I think you hit the nail on the head with emotional commitment. They learned to shut off their emotions since birth. It takes time to get them back. 

• Love 12

I'm so upset for Fenna. These happenings were my gut instinct from the beginning.

I hope they give her back - tomorrow. Fenna deserves a family who will take seriously the time and effort a puppy needs to become a happy and loved member of the family.

Anyone who wraps a one year old in a blanket as punishment for acting like a one year old, should not have a pet (or children). Anyone who thinks their 2 year old needs a younger sibling so they'll know the world doesn't revolve around them, should not have a pet (or children). Anyone who can show such hate to a teenager who doesn't live by their standards, should not have a pet (or children).

• Love 17
(edited)

I used to teach basic obedience at the shelter. All obedience class does is teach humans how to teach their dogs the rest of the week. If the Dillards don’t apply what they hear and do it consistently, they’ll just end up with a confused dog.

Generally, there’s one out of every couple who takes it seriously and works with the dog, while the other just wants the dog to be trained, already, after three classes. It takes a year, minimum, with a young dog, because everything we don’t want them to do...jump up, pull on the leash, dig, bark, counter surf, chew things, grab things and play keep away...is what dogs do. I hope the Dillards have some inkling, but I’m guessing not. Maybe she’ll figure it out without them...some dogs do.

I just hope if they decide they can’t keep her they take her to a rescue or a no-kill shelter that would provide her some quality training. 

In case you can’t tell, I do NOT feel good about this situation.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Useful 1
  • Love 19