Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Sam's birth may have been in a window when they were not filming, between seasons as it were.  Obviously TLC would want to air the birth, make a special episode out of it because it would draw viewers.  Derrick may have assumed that an episode spotlighting his family may have resulted in a larger slice of the pie for his household, possibly a way to pay off medical bills.  Not even a question that JB would have had other thoughts.   Jill would have been pregnant and no doubt wondering if her thoughts should be Derrick's or JB's, honestly still easily swayed to listen to JB. 

Just speculation, but it certainly would explain a lot of what has taken place since then and been grumbled about -- down to the obvious tension between Jill and Derrick that was going on and makes today's relationship seem night and day.  

Another aspect of stress and tension between Jill and Derrick may also have boiled down to the very basic exhaustion and draining demands of caring for infants and very young toddlers.   It seems Derrick really struggles with very young children until they have reached an age where he can share touchstones from his childhood that he enjoyed and finds meaningful -- heading off to kindergarten, sharing a book he enjoyed, etc.   If Derrick was floundering with the boys early on it left a lot on Jill, which may have triggered something like PTSD for her, thinking back to growing up with an endless stream of babies and young children to care for constantly.  Parenting young children puts a strain on a lot of marriages.  Doing so within the backdrop of other turbulence such as they had happening around them at that time wouldn't have been easy.  

This is very true. Also Jill may have not had a lot of patience for Derrick not having patience with babies and toddlers- she grew up being a caregiver and adjusting her life to tiny dependent beings, she just isnt going to understand someone not understanding that. Adding in that they had been married two seconds before they were parents, they didnt know each other all that well, how to communicate etc.

• Love 11

for me the difference with Jill how she posted crazy weird stuff. filming derick off to grubhub and she would have a long day and such. Her boys are a similar age of my grandsons, what she shows them doing now are similar things they are doing. normal, healthy usual kid things, she seems comfortable with both them and herself. whether her political or religious views change or not, those boys are in a better place than we saw before.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 19
On 10/12/2020 at 1:35 AM, Bayarea4 said:

It looks like Izzy has inherited Jill's gummy smile. I guess that's better than inheriting Derick's wonky teeth.

He did inherit Derick’s wonky teeth/mouth.  I really hope the Dillards are saving money for Israel’s dentist/orthodontist bills.  Bless his heart. 😢

• Love 6

My assumption is they are approaching dinosaurs from the Ken Ham creationist school of thought. 

That being said, I do agree the boys seem happier than they were, and I'm glad about that. Izzy used to break my heart on the regular. 

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, Zella said:

My assumption is they are approaching dinosaurs from the Ken Ham creationist school of thought. 

That being said, I do agree the boys seem happier than they were, and I'm glad about that. Izzy used to break my heart on the regular. 

in arkansas public schools  they would have the Ken Ham approach? this  seemed like an every kindergarten dino thing to me

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

in arkansas public schools  they would have the Ken Ham approach? this  seemed like an every kindergarten dino thing to me

No, they would not. Sorry for my unclear "they." I meant Jill and Derick, regardless of what Izzy learned in school. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

No, they would not. Sorry for my unclear "they." I meant Jill and Derick, regardless of what Izzy learned in school. 

no worries-just trying to clarify the dillards certainly have the Ark Encounter book on the boy's bookshelf, but i thought the pic of Izzy was just a fun school thong

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

no worries-just trying to clarify the dillards certainly have the Ark Encounter book on the boy's bookshelf, but i thought the pic of Izzy was just a fun school thong

Yeah it actually didn't even occur to me that Izzy might have done that for school. I'm so used to Duggars not doing school it didn't even cross my mind. I think the Ark Encounter book suggests what the Dillards actually think about the topic. I doubt in kindergarten they're delving into dinosaurs more than "isn't this cool?!" but as he gets older and approaches more evolution-based material, I could see his parents having objections or giving their own alternative Ken Ham-influenced counter lesson. 

That being said, I am glad she seems to be encouraging his interest. My brother also loved dinosaurs. He wasn't an avid reader because he had dyslexia but dinosaurs was one of the things he did like having books on. If it's Izzy's thing, I could totally see him absorbing all dinosaur stuff he can get his hands on. His mask was cute and made me laugh! His mask game is more on point than mine. (I just wear the boring medical ones.)

1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Do they have a book from Ham's Creation Museum?  That's the one I would really be concerned about. Ham is a Young Earth Creationist who has exhibits in his "museum" of humans riding dinosaurs. 

I don't know, but people are talking about them having an Ark Encounter book, and that is Ken Ham too. Ken Ham is an idiot, and I might add from my own limited experience with his company, an asshole. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Do they have a book from Ham's Creation Museum?  That's the one I would really be concerned about. Ham is a Young Earth Creationist who has exhibits in his "museum" of humans riding dinosaurs. 

i think it is the book they have on that book rack in the living room

Ark Encounter- Ken ham;s book was shown, a big book  it was in the background in several pics

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't know, but people are talking about them having an Ark Encounter book, and that is Ken Ham too. Ken Ham is an idiot, and I might add from my own limited experience with his company, an asshole. 

Ken Ham is batshit. PBS's show Independent Lens had a film about the building and opening of the Ark Encounter. It was some scary propaganda. Hopefully, his kids' books are fairly tame in content. But somehow, I doubt it. I just wonder how they got all those species of dinos on the ark. 😂

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Ken Ham is batshit. PBS's show Independent Lens had a film about the building and opening of the Ark Encounter. It was some scary propaganda. Hopefully, his kids' books are fairly tame in content. But somehow, I doubt it. I just wonder hoe they got all those species of dinos on the ark. 😂

When I worked for a Christian company, I had limited dealings with Ham's company, Answers in Genesis. They were some of the rudest, smuggest people I've ever dealt with in my life. 

Edited to add: Even when they were objectively wrong, as in you send me the wrong file wrong, they still blamed you. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 5
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm still pissed at what he pulled to get the Ark opened. He promised all this tourism and revenue for the town. Didn't happen. 

Back to the Dillards, I hope Izzy didn't get a young earth creationist lesson from Derick tonight. 😥

Maybe Derick's got law school assignments due and Izzy was spared. 

• Love 3

so I am not finding the pic - does anyone else remember a pic showing the book rack thing in the dillard living room.?  know there are pics on this page somewhere. and in my crazed memory the ark encounter book is on the right on the shelf.. it was a huge book and all the other books were biblical themed as well

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 1

I'm thinking Izzy's class is doing a superficial dinosaur introduction, Jill probably assumes everyone thinks like her, the school likely has no idea what Jill believes and Derick probably isn't giving it much thought.

So they all think they're on the same page, but are worlds apart. Something I'm guessing will repeat itself often over the course of the boys' school years.

• Love 6

I was raised in many ways similar to the Duggars, but I attended public school. I would tell my parens about what I learned that day, and if it was something that went against the Bible, my parents would give me a supplemental lesson using the Bible to tell me what God says or thinks about something. I think that if Jill and Derick remain with only two kids, they may take this approach as well, which is a much better compromise than having the boys completely sheltered and under-educated like their mother was. It can also lay the groundwork for critical thinking because they'll know what "the world" thinks of some topics and how that may differ from what God thinks about it and could lead to the boys delving deeper to find the truth. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

We can only hope! It kills me to think that they're young earth creationists, but if they have AIG publications in their home, I am disheartened. 

In a way, I would actually be surprised if they weren't. I assume Jill was raised as a YEC. Derick I am less sure on, but in my experience, a lot of relatively normal Christians don't have strong opinions on the subject. \I'd personally never thought much about it until I had to deal with AIG in a business capacity. And my private reaction was "What in the fresh hell is this?" But I will admit I was always shit at science, so I came to that conclusion more from the perspective that I was coming off grad school and I know this isn't how you conduct research and construct an argument, not because I could readily pick apart scientific claims.

Ham uses a veneer of apparent scholarship that is laughable to anyone with an actual background in academia but can seem very persuasive to people who don't and are already inclined to agree with him because of his basic theology and the way he ties his claims to a scare tactic about the modern church. Essentially, the modern church is doomed, but he, Ken, magically has all the answers. And if you'll just listen to him (and coincidentally buy his stuff and visit his museum and fill his coffers), you can prevent people from leaving the church! And I think Ham's target audience focuses on the last part more than anything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Giving it more thought than I should, I suspect that Derelict went full on YEC when he went full on fundie after his father died. He had probably already taken AP Biology, so with an accounting degree, his science requirement was already met. He was free to ignore what he'd been taught in high school and follow what he believed to be what the bible said. Who knows how much independent research any of them have done to deepen their support of the 6000 year hypothesis. Likely none. They (wrongfully) consider Ham and other charlatans like him scholars, and extend their blind faith to men who are more concerned with lining their coffers than the truth.

eta: I can't share it from my tablet, but I watched a clip from 17/18 K&C of the Duggars' trip to the Creation Museum. Man, the kids were young. They interviewed some of the older ones about creation vs. evolution. Jessa couldn't articulate a coherent thought. JD laughed. Jana said that some aspects of evolution made sense until you read the bible, where things all "lined up." Jill? She laid it out there, stating the earth was 6000 years old. 

I am really curious how they handled this dinosaur day.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Giving it more thought than I should, I suspect that Derelict went full on YEC when he went full on fundie after his father died. He had probably already taken AP Biology, so with an accounting degree, his science requirement was already met. He was free to ignore what he'd been taught in high school and follow what he believed to be what the bible said. Who knows how much independent research any of them have done to deepen their support of the 6000 year hypothesis. Likely none. They (wrongfully) consider Ham and other charlatans like him scholars, and extend their blind faith to men who are more concerned with lining their coffers than the truth.

eta: I can't share it from my tablet, but I watched a clip from 17/18 K&C of the Duggars' trip to the Creation Museum. Man, the kids were young. They interviewed some of the older ones about creation vs. evolution. Jessa couldn't articulate a coherent thought. JD laughed. Jana said that some aspects of evolution made sense until you read the bible, where things all "lined up." Jill? She laid it out there, stating the earth was 6000 years old. 

I am really curious how they handled this dinosaur day.

Remembering back to my kids' school days... Teachers send home notes saying something like Tuesday is Dinosaur Day! Please help your child dress up for the day as we learn about dinosaurs.

So I'm guessing that's what Jill did. Full stop. Not one more thought about it, other than what Izzy was going to wear.

And he's in kindergarten, they likely are learning the names of different dinos and maybe what they ate.  I'm not sure it was even part of a science lesson including when they roamed the earth or how they disappeared.

Most kids love dinos, it may have been a 'learning is fun' exercise more than anything else.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 16

I agree with @GeeGolly, this was probably just a fun lesson with a minimal of science mixed in. I'm sure when Israel starts bringing home lessons that promote evolution Jill & Derick will go over the real history of the earth according to Ken Hamm but tell him to just do the work he's assigned in class. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I agree with @GeeGolly, this was probably just a fun lesson with a minimal of science mixed in. I'm sure when Israel starts bringing home lessons that promote evolution Jill & Derick will go over the real history of the earth according to Ken Hamm but tell him to just do the work he's assigned in class. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sunday school at their church didn't offer alternative facts on evolution right around the time the kids are learning about it in public school.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I also hope that by the time Israel gets to that point Derrick hasn't indoctrinated Izzy to be THAT kid in class (who constantly argues with the teacher over the Bible) and/or is the kind of lawyer that can't wait to take up for his kid's "civil rights" to challenge the school. They are entitled to their (dumb) beliefs at home but I really hope they don't mess up the good progress he's made in school so far.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Never seen this book but I'm curious...Are these humans neanderthals?

The Creationists are decidedly anti-evolution, so the people hanging with the dinosaurs look like the rest of us, but dressed in animal skins and such.  And, of course, even neanderthals didn't exist in the time of the dinosaurs.

Here's a photo of one of the exhibits:

dinosaurs-and-humans.jpg

• Useful 4
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

The Creationists are decidedly anti-evolution, so the people hanging with the dinosaurs look like the rest of us, but dressed in animal skins and such.  And, of course, even neanderthals didn't exist in the time of the dinosaurs.

Here's a photo of one of the exhibits:

dinosaurs-and-humans.jpg

Why or how do they think dinos died?

• Useful 2
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Why or how do they think dinos died?

I am not an expert, but I think they are ok with extinction as a concept.  Just no evolution, the earth is only 6000 years old and the entire universe was created by God in 6 days as we understand them.

• Love 4

Those people think dinosaurs didn't survive because they couldn't all fit on Noah's boat. Or Noah's family ate them all or the animals on the ark ate them. Seriously. I have an aunt that tried to convince me that happened and we are all related to Noah since we all came from his sons and daughters. I asked with whom did those children procreate and she suddenly realized what that meant and sort of blustered something about "but GOD".

• Useful 1
  • LOL 18
14 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Those people think dinosaurs didn't survive because they couldn't all fit on Noah's boat. Or Noah's family ate them all or the animals on the ark ate them. Seriously. I have an aunt that tried to convince me that happened and we are all related to Noah since we all came from his sons and daughters. I asked with whom did those children procreate and she suddenly realized what that meant and sort of blustered something about "but GOD".

It's too bad they never made acquaintance with the word allegory.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And he's in kindergarten, they likely are learning the names of different dinos and maybe what they ate.  I'm not sure it was even part of a science lesson including when they roamed the earth or how they disappeared.

Most kids love dinos, it may have been a 'learning is fun' exercise more than anything else.

I teach kinder this year. That's basically all we teach about dinos at this stage. Some kids know more, having watched Jurassic Park and a show called Dinosaur Hunters. And by know more, I mean they know more of the dinos by sight. 

• Love 8