Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

On 10/4/2020 at 4:06 PM, crazy8s said:

our kids, both in their 30s have tried the in home antenna square thing you put on your wall for free local channels - they are hit and miss.  in and out signals, scrambled screens, long delays. they both gave it up because it was useless.

duggars just buy a cheap tv and get a roku or amazon firestick.

They can get a pretty good, and pretty big freaking tv if they go to Walmart or another big box store.  They work just as well as one from an electronics store and they are cheap compared to what they used to be.  And they can buy either the Roku or Firestick at one of them as well, cheap.  No excuse to watch on a laptop.  But maybe they like it, who knows.

• Useful 1

Years ago, one of the software engineers I worked with asked me what all the folks in the IT department had in common. I was like, “I dunno, a giant phone case on each hip?” He said, “no we all wear glasses because we stare at computer screens all day.” (He wore contacts) Ever since, I do not watch anything on my laptop or tablet. I start seeing stars if I work too long without taking a break. I think he was trying to warn me of my future.

• Love 4

Jill recently posted a picture of herself with new glasses.  She answered someone that they were for blue light filtering.  So at least she is aware of the strain she is putting on her eyes from all her viewing of things on a laptop.

• Love 1

Blue light blocking glasses haven't been proven to do anything really. They charge extra for the tinting but, most likely it's a waste of money. She'd do better leaving the screen every 20-30 minutes, using eye drops and reading a book instead of looking at a computer screen.

Wait, have we ever seen one of them read a book? Not the bible, that is.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Blue light blocking glasses haven't been proven to do anything really. They charge extra for the tinting but, most likely it's a waste of money. She'd do better leaving the screen every 20-30 minutes, using eye drops and reading a book instead of looking at a computer screen.

Wait, have we ever seen one of them read a book? Not the bible, that is.

12 minutes ago, awaken said:

Yes. She’s read devotional books and one about boundaries. And the Bible. 

And books about doing the wild thing.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

The second thing I got for my apartment (after pillows) was a TV.

My ex insisted on watching everything on a laptop. Even when he was staying at my place. Drove me nuts.

If you have any technological knowledge it isn't hard to hook up your laptop to your TV. You don't need sinful cable to have a TV.

Wait. 

*checks notes*

This is the couple that are the sinners right? GET CABLE JILL. Watch some 90 Day Fiance with the rest of us heathens!

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Weren’t they shown going to Deanna’s to watch their own show back in olden days, 19KAC? So Boob and Meeechelle have always been hypocrites about TV.

I'd forgotten about that! But they have the giant screen back at the TTH to watch Arkansas football or election returns.

• Love 7

Some of the young howlers were also watching a smallish TV at the TTH when MEShell and Bood were away and Grandma Mary was watching the kids.  She had to explain what Joy was doing when she was covering an onscreen  woman's revealing cleavage with her hands.  The howlers just stared mouths and eyes wide open.

• Love 5

Didn't they have an old TV they'd roll out to watch Andy Griffith?

And Jill said recently she was showing recordings of 19 Kids to her boys, so they probably watched those at the TTH when they were younger.

And we know Jana watches the Gaines' show, so whether or not they watched more than Andy Griffith when they were younger, the no "TV" is bullshit now. Even when watched on a laptop its still a TV show.

We have three TVs in our home. We used to have three crockpots too. Just because you have something doesn't mean you use it all the time. Well the Duggars should know that, because I assume they have dishes.

• LOL 14
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Didn't they have an old TV they'd roll out to watch Andy Griffith?

That’s hilarious. I guess they skip over the part where Andy gave away pieces of his heart to two different women. And Opie had a thing for his public school teacher. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

That’s hilarious. I guess they skip over the part where Andy gave away pieces of his heart to two different women. And Opie had a thing for his public school teacher. 

and where andy smoked, aunt bea got drunk, opie got his friend to do his piano practice while he disobeyed Pa and went to play football....

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 10/5/2020 at 12:18 AM, Zella said:

I'm hoping the leaves falling will help me get better reception because I miss PBS. I have to resort to a lot of DVDs and streaming because of this, and the streaming quality can be a bit hit or miss. But I would think they'd have better access since they're basically in the suburbs. 

FYI, there is a PBS app where you can stream the national shows like Nova, Masterpiece, Great Performances, Newshour, etc.  If you are watching something that aired in the last 2 weeks, it is usually free, and some of the past library is free as well.  Otherwise you have to have a passport membership to see archived shows.  If you are a PBS donor, you likely already have a passport membership.

Thing is, unlike the Dillards, I watch the PBS app on my TV (with fire stick) and not my laptop. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, peppergal said:

FYI, there is a PBS app where you can stream the national shows like Nova, Masterpiece, Great Performances, Newshour, etc.  If you are watching something that aired in the last 2 weeks, it is usually free, and some of the past library is free as well.  Otherwise you have to have a passport membership to see archived shows.  If you are a PBS donor, you likely already have a passport membership.

Thing is, unlike the Dillards, I watch the PBS app on my TV (with fire stick) and not my laptop. 

Thank you! I do have Passport but forgot about it! 😂

• Love 2

on Duggars and TV  JB interview 2011 what boggles my mind on this is "a dr friend said no pet or TV for first year of marriage, but ok to pop out a honeymoon baby???

If you watched 17 Kids & Counting — a number that eventually grew to 18 and 19 kids — then you're well aware that Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar raised their children a bit differently than most people. Because of their conservative religious values, common things like dancing, wearing pants, and listening to a pop radio station were supposedly forbidden. Now that many of Michelle and Jim Bob's children are grown and have families of their own, plenty of fans have probably wondered: Do the Duggars watch TV?

To answer that question, let's go all the way back to 2011, when Jim Bob explained his family's views on television and and how they evolved throughout time. “I grew up watching TV, but when we got married a doctor friend of ours encouraged us not to have a pet or a TV the first year of marriage," he told HuffPost at the time. So we did that. For the first year we lived on love."

Apparently, Michelle and Jim Bob were so glued to the television that the communication in their relationship suffered. This — combined with their apparent dissatisfaction with the content of TV programming — compelled them to ditch the television once and for all. "And I would say that is one of the best things we have done for our family," Jim Bob said of the decision.

There is a bit of a catch, however: The Duggar children were allowed to watch certain DVDs their parents deemed acceptable, like The Andy Griffith Show. Not to mention, Michelle Duggar even has a favorite actor, Growing Pains alum Kirk Cameron. “We are very selective about what we watch, Jim Bob explained. "We actually don’t watch broadcast TV.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/duggar-family-bans-tv-pets-19-kids-and-counting_n_1018274

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

on Duggars and TV  JB interview 2011 what boggles my mind on this is "a dr friend said no pet or TV for first year of marriage, but ok to pop out a honeymoon baby???

I love how they ignore medical advice for EVERYTHING....except stuff like this which is non-medical.

Screw Dr. Wheat.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

Jill says they aren't on the best terms with some family members, working on it. She sees good changes in herself from therapy and Derick said it has helped their relationship as well. They don't have any regrets leaving the show and have no plans to go back on it. Talked a little bit about missionary work too.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

Jill says they aren't on the best terms with some family members, working on it.

I wonder which family members give them the hardest time. Have we seen Jim Bob and Jill in a picture together at all in the past year? It seems that Jessa and Jill still interact, and Cousin Amy is totally supportive. We saw Michelle visit on Israel's birthday, but no Jim Bob. Anna still comments on some of Jill's pictures, and Anna and Josh really shouldn't be judging anyone on anything at this point anyway.

• Love 13

\

14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

My experience in situations like this is the ones you'd never expect to be judgy are the ones who turn first. My guess is Jana, JD and Joe as potential candidates. 

Oh, Jana and JD for sure. I could never get a read on Joe--he's just sort of there--but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were trying regularly to get them to see the errors of their ways.

I don't think Josh personally cares but he needs to suck up to JB. Ana's an asshole, but with 2 sisters and a brother who've left the fold, I can see her keeping most of her thoughts to herself and being nice to their faces. Jinger's fine with it. Joy's likely okay, but that will change immediately if the Dillards' politics ever evolve. Josiah...not normally inclined to be bothered, but I think if he's unhappy with his life and feels stuck, he's not going to be happy seeing his sister unstick herself.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, lascuba said:

\

Oh, Jana and JD for sure. I could never get a read on Joe--he's just sort of there--but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were trying regularly to get them to see the errors of their ways.

I don't think Josh personally cares but he needs to suck up to JB. Ana's an asshole, but with 2 sisters and a brother who've left the fold, I can see her keeping most of her thoughts to herself and being nice to their faces. Jinger's fine with it. Joy's likely okay, but that will change immediately if the Dillards' politics ever evolve. Josiah...not normally inclined to be bothered, but I think if he's unhappy with his life and feels stuck, he's not going to be happy seeing his sister unstick herself.

Because Joe apparently talked Joy into staying in the fold back when she had a crisis of faith, many posters believe he is a JB Kool-Aid drinker.  What exactly Joy was going through and what Joe said to her is anyone's guess.  

• Love 14

Although Jill did go to Joy's baby shower I'm wondering if Joy is one of the siblings that keeps her distance from Jill. Joy seems to be the one the most locked into the Gothard lifestyle. It's given her what she thinks to be an amazing life, so why would anyone want any different? I also think that Joy is the most conservative about dressing. I could also see Joy being protective of Gideon and Evelyn and not wanting them to play with the Dillard cousins. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

In the video, Derek mentions that international mission work was "taken away" from them.  What does that mean?  Any idea?

They worked for SOS so they were probably fired. There was the negative press from that "nonprofit" they started, plus Jill constantly running her mouth about how awful Danger America is might have lost SOS some busines...err, excuse me. I meant holy volunteers for Jesus.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
6 minutes ago, lascuba said:

They worked for SOS so they were probably fired. There was the negative press from that "nonprofit" they started, plus Jill constantly running her mouth about how awful Danger America is might have lost SOS some busines...err, excuse me. I meant holy volunteers for Jesus.

Yep, I think it was something like this.  Jill was obviously terrified and neither one of them ever seemed to become conversant in Spanish, despite intensive class work probably comped by SOS.  I can see them terminating employees who haven't made reasonable progress in speaking the native tongue over a couple years, their contracts probably specified that as a requirement of employment.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

In the video, Derek mentions that international mission work was "taken away" from them.  What does that mean?  Any idea?

Hmmm, in Derick speak I'm guessing that means they didn't meet the mission goals and were let go, but he's blaming TLC.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Hmmm, in Derick speak I'm guessing that means they didn't meet the mission goals and were let go, but he's blaming TLC.

He once said that there was an issue with contracts and filming. I don't know if it the SOS contract complicated filming or if the show contract was the issue. Not sure that Derick knows either since he has also claimed that he did not have a contract for the show.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
8 minutes ago, Triple P said:

He once said that there was an issue with contracts and filming. I don't know if it the SOS contract complicated filming or if the show contract was the issue. Not sure that Derick knows either since he has also claimed that he did not have a contract for the show.

I remember him saying that. It was during the time when everything he posted was contradicted by another post. I'm concluding Derick was fired by both TLC and SOS, because he's never shared one straight truthful answer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Well, Jill and the rest of the family talked about how dangerous it all was in front of TLC cameras, so I guess...technically...in a world where Derick and Jill aren't responsible for anything they do...it's kind of TLC's fault. I mean, they totally could have not aired Jill talking about the giant spiders; or Jessa talking about the gunshots all night; por all the Duggars continuously talking about how very  much in danger Jill and Derick were in all the time; or Jill sobbing hysterically about the time the shower rack fell and she called her family to say goodbye because she thought she was about to be murdered.

All TLC's fault. Clearly.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Although Jill did go to Joy's baby shower I'm wondering if Joy is one of the siblings that keeps her distance from Jill. Joy seems to be the one the most locked into the Gothard lifestyle. It's given her what she thinks to be an amazing life, so why would anyone want any different? I also think that Joy is the most conservative about dressing. I could also see Joy being protective of Gideon and Evelyn and not wanting them to play with the Dillard cousins. 

I dont see that. I think Joy really loves Jill, and given Jill is the one that raised her and met most of her emotional needs growing up, I think they will always be close. Joy might not understand the process Jill is going through or agree with some things, but I think she trusts Jill with her life and would certainly trust Jill with her kids.

Jill would have to do something REALLY out of Joy's value system for her to question their relationship.

55 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Yep, I think it was something like this.  Jill was obviously terrified and neither one of them ever seemed to become conversant in Spanish, despite intensive class work probably comped by SOS.  I can see them terminating employees who haven't made reasonable progress in speaking the native tongue over a couple years, their contracts probably specified that as a requirement of employment.

I think Derrick was fired (Jill was never employed by them to my knowledge); or his contract was not renewed to put it more delicately. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Derrick was fired (Jill was never employed by them to my knowledge); or his contract was not renewed to put it more delicately. 

I'm guessing that due to the nature of SOS Ministries that they have all of their overseas employees on a fixed employment contract.  There are so many variables in play that they need to have flexibility as an organization to bring back staff or to entice people to work for them to begin with.  And they can also let go people like Derick and Jill who are not cut out to work in countries like El Salvador and still let them save face.  

• Love 7

I sort of guess after Derick and Jill apparently didn't qualify as missionaries though the church, and the Josh news came out, the stint with SOS was dreamed up by JB, SOS and TLC. Show Duggars at SOS Missions trips would bring missioncationers to SOS. TLC could rebrand to JIll and Jessa Counting On, JB could keep money rolling in

Not sure if I remember this correctly, the house was built at SOS for the dillards, and maybe or not on the show, a refrigerator and/or and A/C unit was installed that JB gifted them.

but then Jill and Derick flew home from danger america all the time. Jill was weepy on camera, the siblings played it up in every talking head or visit how dangerous it was to be "overseas", the unpredictable power outages etc. SOS needed churches to send the teams for missioncations so they could make money.

so yep the dillards probably had the "missions work" taken from them because they were away a lot and then the TLC image of danger on the fenced and guarded SOS compound was so dangerous

• Love 8
7 hours ago, CouchTater said:

There was an alleged insider at the time, who posted that they were let go.  I think the reasoning was being a poor representative of SOS for getting the volunteers to go on the trips.  Jill's panic didn't give the message of come on down and do your missioncation everything is fine.  I don't think Derick was inspiring people either.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Absolom said:

There was an alleged insider at the time, who posted that they were let go.  I think the reasoning was being a poor representative of SOS for getting the volunteers to go on the trips.  Jill's panic didn't give the message of come on down and do your missioncation everything is fine.  I don't Derick was inspiring people either.  

That was my general understanding. IMO it was about SOS's bottom line, and I don't mean the number of souls converted to Jesus, but the net income from missioncation group enrollments. Not good when Jill narrated being terrified and Jessa chimed in for their TV audience about oh yes it's really dangerous there. Was she the one who mentioned hearing gunshots? Not good stuff for nice Baptist mothers to hear, when they are thinking about sending their high school kids off on a "mission trip." 

Whatever constituted Derick's motivation for mission work, I have wondered if he saw SOS as a (lesser) option to go preach the gospel abroad - very much something he settled for after he realized he had no hope of landing a career job with the church's International Missions Board. It's possible that he didn't give a rat's *ss about SOS's bottom line and/or wasn't super enthused to be herding missioncation groups around on their Danger America itineraries. He and Jill were certainly cagey at the time about working for SOS; IIRC their website identified them as being with "Dillard Family Ministries." 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6

I’m proud Jill is growing and trying things.  Cause every time she does something she was taught as bad or evil she’s bound to be tiptoeing and looking over her shoulder waiting to be hit by lightning or something 

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, dariafan said:

I’m proud Jill is growing and trying things.  Cause every time she does something she was taught as bad or evil she’s bound to be tiptoeing and looking over her shoulder waiting to be hit by lightning or something 

Me too and the more she does it the more she will see that nothing happened and nobody died.

She'll gradually see that her family are a bunch of Chicken Littles running around thinking the sky is falling if you wear a pair of pants 🙄 

• Love 14

Do we know if Jill and Jinger get along?  Even though they are the 2 that seem to have broken away the most from the Duggar rules, JereME and Derrick are both so sanctimonious, I can’t picture them getting along, even if they still have similar beliefs.

If that’s the case, then Jinger might be thinking, “Babe doesn’t approve of Derrick (and by extension Jill), I love Babe, so I don’t approve of Derrick (and by extension Jill).”

Edited by EVS
  • Love 13

For some reason, it surprises me that Jessa hangs with Jill. Jessa seems to be drinking the kool-aid and not getting on JB's bad side. I wouldn't think she would approve of Jill going to therapy or Izzy going to school. I've mentioned it before, I always thought Jessa would run from the cult and Jill would be Michelle 2.0.

• Love 4

I think Jessa hangs out with Jill to suit Jessa. She could well be acting as a spy for Boob. Hopefully, Jill has some Spidey sense and doesn't divulge much of a personal nature. 

When's the last time we saw Jill and Jana together? They were supposedly thick as thieves growing up. Jana was Jill's MOH. Now? Nothing.

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, Madtown said:

For some reason, it surprises me that Jessa hangs with Jill. Jessa seems to be drinking the kool-aid and not getting on JB's bad side. I wouldn't think she would approve of Jill going to therapy or Izzy going to school. I've mentioned it before, I always thought Jessa would run from the cult and Jill would be Michelle 2.0.

In one sense Jill is Michelle 2.0. JB more or less took Michelle from her family and steeped her in Christianity, before they dove into the cult together.

Derick has now taken Jill from her family and is having her adopt his form of Christianity.

• Love 3