Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm struggling with the diapered ass and bare feet on the counter and next to the food

It wasn't until reading this site about the Duggar Family that I learned a lot of people frown on kids sitting on counters. This was acceptable when I was a kid, all my kids did it, and now my smaller grandchildren sit on counters while helping prepare food. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 18
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

It wasn't until reading this site about the Duggar Family that I learned a lot of people frown on kids sitting on counters. This was acceptable when I was a kid, all my kids did it, and now my smaller grandchildren sit on counters while helping prepare food. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its not a thing I've ever done or seen much of in my neck of the woods. It wouldn't bug me that much if I thought Jill, Jessa and the other Duggars watched their kids carefully and wiped done their counters (before and) after the fact.

And I'm not a germophobe, but the Duggar level of of dirty skeeves me out.

• Love 22
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Its not a thing I've ever done or seen much of in my neck of the woods. It wouldn't bug me that much if I thought Jill, Jessa and the other Duggars watched their kids carefully and wiped done their counters (before and) after the fact.

And I'm not a germophobe, but the Duggar level of of dirty skeeves me out.

Yeah I agree. Sitting on counters wasn’t done in my social circle, but I wouldn’t mind it if I thought the Duggars had “normal” standards of cleanliness. As in “wipe down all the counters after meal prep and at the end of the day”, everyone washes their hands when they come in the house & before handling food etc. 

But FEET on counters?? I used to get in trouble sitting on my feet on the sofa or the dining chair- that just wasn’t done, I had to sit with both feet on the floor, so I wouldn’t have dared put them on a surface like a table or a counter. 

• Love 11

So when your kid has the sh!ts, you stick a diaper on them, plop them and their nasty feet on a kitchen counter & give them Tostitos.  Good to know. 

Just when I thought Jessa ruled with the disgusting and unsanitary habits of her children, here comes Jill to steal the crown.   I've never in my life seen such filth displayed with such pride.  

• Love 10
(edited)
15 hours ago, Nysha said:

Families have different standards.  I was taught, and taught my own children, that when helping, you sit at a kitchen counter on a stool, or sit at the kitchen table in a chair.  No surface used to prepare or eat food gets sat on or stood on.  Step stools are the only thing we stand on to reach high things. 

The first time my husband tried to sit on a kitchen counter, we had our one and only come-to-Jesus meeting about NEVER sitting on counters.  

Some people care, some people don't care.  YMMV.

Edited by leighdear
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

so her husband lived in nepal and she gets the recipe for this from her ozark farming arkansas friend?

I didn't look at her recipe to see that a sweet friend had shared it. Ugh. 

I looked it up online, and it's a hearty noodle soup with chicken, meat or just vegetables. The spices are basically those in Indian cooking. I saw one recipe with an ingredient I didn't recognize, but most of these spices I have at home. It seems to be more of a cold weather comfort food, so maybe I'll wait a bit. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

so her husband lived in nepal and she gets the recipe for this from her ozark farming arkansas friend?

Surely, you don't expect a white American evangelical to trust ethnic food recipes from people actually from those countries, do you?

• LOL 17
48 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Surely, you don't expect a white American evangelical to trust ethnic food recipes from people actually from those countries, do you?

Not even from one of Derick's Sweet Friends? 😉

• Love 3
9 hours ago, leighdear said:

So when your kid has the sh!ts, you stick a diaper on them, plop them and their nasty feet on a kitchen counter & give them Tostitos.  Good to know. 

I'm not sure if you are talking to me or the Dillards, but no I never stuck a diaper on a kid with the runs and plopped them on the counter. My sick kids were tended to using the methods suggestion by their pediatrician. Plus, I had five of them and I have 10 grandchildren. So far we've all survived the nasty germs spread by a clothed 2 year-old's butt sitting on the counter. Just like I don't cook with dirty hands or clothes, neither to my grandchildren. I do have some standards.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

Cultures are not valid until white people experience them!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

The recipe:

Tibetan Thukpa

Jul 18, 2020 | Recipes | 0 

Several years ago, when I was working as a student midwife and had first told some of my friends about my new boyfriend, Derick, who was living and working in Nepal, a fellow student and friend of mine (Lindi) who had previously lived in Tibet made me this delicious soup to give me a taste of what some of Derick’s food in his Tibetan/Nepali neighborhood might be like and nicknamed it “Derick’s soup.” There are many versions of Thukpa and Thentuk depending on where you are, but this is the one we make and love. In Nepal, it might be made with water buffalo or chicken meat but could also be made with just vegetables. 

Makes about 4 quarts (serves 4-6 people)

1 pound chopped beef (stew meat)

2 T. olive oil for cooking meat

4 quarts water or broth

5-6 green onions (or 1 small white onion diced)

2 T. garlic, minced

3 large tomatoes, diced

3 cups flour (plus more for surface)

salt

pepper

1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped, including stems

With olive oil, brown meat on both sides in a skillet. Add broth (or water) to large pot with onions, tomatoes and garlic and bring to a boil. In mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour with 1 cup water and stir then knead for 10-15 min. continuing to add flour until dough is formed and smooth. Roll out dough on floured surface (about 1/8″ thick) and cut with pizza cutter into strips (about 1″ wide). Tear off small pieces and put straight into boiling broth. Add cooked meat and cilantro. Boil a few minutes until noodles are cooked, then add salt and pepper to taste. 

Fun Fact: Sometimes we like to listen to the appropriate cultural music while eating international meals. I also listened to lots of Nepali and Tibetan music when Derick and I were datingwhile he was still in Nepal because it made me feel a little closer to him. 😉

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I'm not sure if you are talking to me or the Dillards, but no I never stuck a diaper on a kid with the runs and plopped them on the counter. My sick kids were tended to using the methods suggestion by their pediatrician. Plus, I had five of them and I have 10 grandchildren. So far we've all survived the nasty germs spread by a clothed 2 year-old's butt sitting on the counter. Just like I don't cook with dirty hands or clothes, neither to my grandchildren. I do have some standards.

Sam didn't have pants on. It was direct contact of the diaper with the counter. And bare feet. It was pretty gross.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

The recipe:

Tibetan Thukpa

Jul 18, 2020 | Recipes | 0 

Several years ago, when I was working as a student midwife and had first told some of my friends about my new boyfriend, Derick, who was living and working in Nepal, a fellow student and friend of mine (Lindi) who had previously lived in Tibet made me this delicious soup to give me a taste of what some of Derick’s food in his Tibetan/Nepali neighborhood might be like and nicknamed it “Derick’s soup.” There are many versions of Thukpa and Thentuk depending on where you are, but this is the one we make and love. In Nepal, it might be made with water buffalo or chicken meat but could also be made with just vegetables. 

Makes about 4 quarts (serves 4-6 people)

1 pound chopped beef (stew meat)

2 T. olive oil for cooking meat

4 quarts water or broth

5-6 green onions (or 1 small white onion diced)

2 T. garlic, minced

3 large tomatoes, diced

3 cups flour (plus more for surface)

salt

pepper

1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped, including stems

With olive oil, brown meat on both sides in a skillet. Add broth (or water) to large pot with onions, tomatoes and garlic and bring to a boil. In mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour with 1 cup water and stir then knead for 10-15 min. continuing to add flour until dough is formed and smooth. Roll out dough on floured surface (about 1/8″ thick) and cut with pizza cutter into strips (about 1″ wide). Tear off small pieces and put straight into boiling broth. Add cooked meat and cilantro. Boil a few minutes until noodles are cooked, then add salt and pepper to taste. 

Fun Fact: Sometimes we like to listen to the appropriate cultural music while eating international meals. I also listened to lots of Nepali and Tibetan music when Derick and I were datingwhile he was still in Nepal because it made me feel a little closer to him. 😉

I know nothing about Nepalese food, but...did this friend and/or Jill omit all seasoning except salt and pepper? The only difference between this and what Jill would normally eat, other than the cilantro, is that it didn't come from a can.

• Love 10

I don't make homemade noodles, but is it customary to just mix water & flour together with no salt or other seasonings. The only thing that separates this from homemade paste is the consistency.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

I don't make homemade noodles, but is it customary to just mix water & flour together with no salt or other seasonings. The only thing that separates this from homemade paste is the consistency.

Usually you at eggs to them as well as salt & pepper at the very least.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sam didn't have pants on. It was direct contact of the diaper with the counter. And bare feet. It was pretty gross.

Isn’t Sam 3-years-old?  If so, shouldn’t he be fully potty-trained by now?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Isn’t Sam 3-years-old?  If so, shouldn’t he be fully potty-trained by now?

Most kids potty train somewhere between 2-4. Sam just turned 3. I wouldn't worry about him yet. 

• Love 15

Shouldn't there be some type of baking powder in those noodles? Aren't  they supposed to puff up a bit in the broth? I don't see anything exotic about this recipe. It looks like a basic beef and noodle stew or soup to me.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Shouldn't there be some type of baking powder in those noodles? Aren't  they supposed to puff up a bit in the broth? I don't see anything exotic about this recipe. It looks like a basic beef and noodle stew or soup to me.

Shhhhh...Jill’s being sophisticated and worldly.

• LOL 13
On 7/18/2020 at 11:43 PM, lascuba said:

I know nothing about Nepalese food, but...did this friend and/or Jill omit all seasoning except salt and pepper? The only difference between this and what Jill would normally eat, other than the cilantro, is that it didn't come from a can.

I've had Nepalese food before and the spicing was similar to Indian, just in different  quantities.  I was surprised by the lack of spicing in this recipe, so I looked it up and yes, the beef version is pretty similar to Jill's recipe.  I guess you would eat pickled veggies with it to get more flavor.  The chicken and veggie versions definitely had more spicing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Most kids potty train somewhere between 2-4. Sam just turned 3. I wouldn't worry about him yet. 

I didn't rush my son. I think he was around 3 and a half. He rarely had an accident after that. I heard horror stories from a friend who rushed her daughter so I was glad I waited until I knew he was ready.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

I've had Nepalese food before and the spicing was similar to Indian, just in different  quantities.  I was surprised by the lack of spicing in this recipe, so I looked it up and yes, the beef version is pretty similar to Jill's recipe.  I guess you would eat pickled veggies with it to get more flavor.  The chicken and veggie versions definitely had more spicing. 

Thank you. That would certainly explain why this would be the Nepalese recipe that Jill and anyone she calls friend would gravitate towards.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

READ THESE COMMENTS! Amy's "Freedom" and then Derick referencing "drinks" - probably not alcohol, but WOW if they are alcohol!

amyrachelleking

Verified

Our new favorite word: Freedom! @wellingtonnwa @jillmdillard @derickdillard #doubledatenight @3130clothing @wellingtonnwa

1d

derickdillard

Verified

Thanks for treating us! We had a great time! Good food, drinks, and company (not necessarily in that order 😉

8h14 likesReply

amyrachelleking

Verified

@derickdillard We had so much fun! Next time Brunch , drinks and the patio!

6h2 likesReply

Hide replies

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, mine was fighting it until she was almost four and one day she was just over it and we never looked back. 

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

does anyone else here wonder what goes on in Jill's mind each and every time she decides to do something that flies in the face of Duggardom? Surely the first few things must have been terrifying for her. Would god send the plagues upon her for wearing pants? cutting her hair? leaving a tv show? she went to a restaurant that serves alcohol, oh my. did she have a drink, did she not, who cares. but I wonder how that feels for her after the 20+yrs of brainwashing.

I think that as long as she stays within the limits set by her headship she is alright.  For all the changes she has made, the same for Jinger, she can accept change because it's not her making any kind of independent choice; she is under the influence and guidance of her husband.  This concept was hammered into her head as much any other principal: the husband is in charge of the family and in charge of their morals.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
(edited)
24 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

i have to say, that looks yummy. 

I've long thought the entire premise of that restaurant was stupid, so even if it is good, I'm not interested. Lol

And honestly Jill's tone rubbed me the wrong way. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’d like to think Jill was a little tipsy when she posted that!

There was a part of me envisioning Derick and Amy drunkenly comparing notes on NDAs while Dillon and Jill equally drunkenly tried to find another topic to discuss, and I will admit, it made me laugh my ass off.

• LOL 17
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

210938A4-64CC-4D22-8040-456A52838B7E.jpeg

That’s 20 bucks worth of deli food. Do you think they could arrange it better. The first bite is with the eye, after all, and you’re paying to go out. Are we sure this isn't the prep area?

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

The rosemary sprig is a little random but otherwise I think it looks nice.

It’s possibly a bad angle, and could’ve been picked over a bit before the picture was taken. But do a little googling for Pinterest deli/wine spreads.  They should be turning out a dozen of these a day (Once business is back to normal)  so there’s plenty of time to get it right. Half a clove of garlic for an appetizer is way too much garlic.

• Love 2
(edited)

Derelict apparently commented on Famy's "freedom" post. He thanked the Kings for the food, drinks, and friends, not in that order (his words). 

Define "drinks," please. Because posted like that, it certainly sounds like adult beverages were consumed by all. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
Not sure how that apostrophe got there
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6