Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

After years of discussing future husbands, future children, accountability partners, hair/perms and modest thrift wear, what do they all talk about now? Lack of sleep, teething and breast feeding?

How to get knocked up quick?

Cream of soup recipe exchange?

What is their hubby favorite sandwich ever?

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I totally picture Joshua staying in bed/couch all day.

That and having his young daughters wait on him for every whim.  It's disgusting to think what those girls must go through.  How Anna allows it is beyond me.  She's so deeply soaked in the cult she has no concept of escaping.  I just hope that someone is able to rescue those girls.

• Love 2

If both JB and Derick are not allowing and/or discouraging Jill from the TTH, I'm sure Jessa hopped right on that. It's right up her mean girl alley. 

I'm guessing Anna's and Jessa's kids are the favorite grandchildren just because they are at the TTH daily and are likely known by their names. Jessa takes any opportunity to elevate herself and that usually means putting someone else down. Jill was and still is, a perfect target for her. And don't forget, Jessa was supposed to be the first married daughter and Derick swooped in and married Jill while JB kept holding off Ben.

Personally, I see no loss in the Dillard boys not being best friends with their cousins. Kids aren't stupid and they pick up on negative relationships and usually blame themselves to some degree.

I do feel bad for Jill who went from favorite rule following daughter and favored TLC couple to being an outcast in a few short years. The last 5+ years could have shaken anyone: Year one married, pregnant and birth of first child. Year two newlywed, infant son and living in Danger America. Year three, house hopping, second child and fractured relationship with JB and TLC begins. I'm guessing these last couple of years Jill is just settling into some kind of Jill/Derick reality, which is nothing like she could have ever imagined.

• Useful 3
  • Love 17
On 2/28/2020 at 7:20 PM, Namaste said:

Real question...what kind of science were the Duggar kids taught at Duggar Academy?  Actual real science, creationism, something else etc. Thanks!

Catching up here. I gave up social media for Lint (sorry, Lent), but I am sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's and my Kindle died, so I am cheating by reading this.

I see from the comments on pages 1098 and 1099 that the Duggars used ATI booklets for their science curriculum. While this is true. their main curriculum was ACE, or Advanced Christian Education. While not as egregiously inaccurate as the ATI booklets when it comes to teaching the sciences, science concepts are taught with creationism in mind. Given the choice, I would pick ACE over ATI any day, as the concepts are presented more logically, but both curricula leave students woefully behind what a typical public school student would learn in grades K-12.

• Useful 12
32 minutes ago, AnnaBaptist said:

While this is true. their main curriculum was ACE, or Advanced Christian Education. While not as egregiously inaccurate as the ATI booklets when it comes to teaching the sciences, science concepts are taught with creationism in mind.

Did the Duggars really use ACE booklets?  On the show they said they used the computerized Switched on Schoolhouse, I think that's the name.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Did the Duggars really use ACE booklets?  On the show they said they used the computerized Switched on Schoolhouse, I think that's the name.

I did not know that they used Switched on Schoolhouse. Thanks for the information.

They definitely used ACE at one point. As they have 19 kids and have been homeschooling for close to 30 years, it would not surprise me if they have used several curricula, or mixed and matched as needed/desired. I homeschooled one of my children for three years. After the first year, I switched to another curriculum and used a different curriculum altogether for one subject. At the cooperative homeschooling center we used, they used another system for science experiments. That's one of the positive things about homeschooling; you can tailor the curriculum for an optimal learning experience.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

Switched-On Schoolhouse came later.  In the beginning, we saw Michelle reading those stupid Gothard 'lessons' to the kids and explaining what they meant in the simplest way possible.  Does no one remember her lesson on bankruptcy?  The littlest ones merely had to carefully repeat the word back and be able to say that 'bank-rupt-cy' was a bad thing.  The oldest presumably understood a bit more, like how to say it, maybe how to spell it, and it was a bad thing that God didn't like and something they'd never do.  Even then, the oldest had an air of acting like their stellar upbringing and education coupled with their inherent Godliness would keep them from such a fate.  But never fear, they'd sadly shake their head at those who did this 'bank-rupt-cy' thing, sigh at their heathen upbringing, and offer to pray for them.

• Love 7
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

Switched-On Schoolhouse came later.  In the beginning, we saw Michelle reading those stupid Gothard 'lessons' to the kids and explaining what they meant in the simplest way possible.  Does no one remember her lesson on bankruptcy?  The littlest ones merely had to carefully repeat the word back and be able to say that 'bank-rupt-cy' was a bad thing.  The oldest presumably understood a bit more, like how to say it, maybe how to spell it, and it was a bad thing that God didn't like and something they'd never do.  Even then, the oldest had an air of acting like their stellar upbringing and education coupled with their inherent Godliness would keep them from such a fate.  But never fear, they'd sadly shake their head at those who did this 'bank-rupt-cy' thing, sigh at their heathen upbringing, and offer to pray for them.

I wonder what they think of POTUS’ multiple bankruptcies and divorces lol. No need to answer! 🤣

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Even though her attempts tend to look lame/snarky worthy I do think Jill and Derrick are modeling things the kids should learn. Civic responsibility. Time with ones spouse. Cooking at home. Making the library part of their lives. Interacting with their community. Derick being in school sets the example of not only working towards goals but the importance of education. 

They’ve been to the library like twice. I get the feeling it was someone else’s idea or doing both times. I am, however, much more optimistic about attending elementary school. I feel like Jill is the real student by proxy there. 

• Love 10

God help me, but I swiped up and I was pleasantly surprised Jill included the right link? I guess I have low standards--am operating on a 13-hour-day as an election official--but yay!?

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

The kids are really cute in the pics. Good for Jill that she voted. I wonder if she got to make up her own mind, or if she voted the way Deertick told her to. 

Dereck told her who to vote for.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mojitogirl said:

Jill actually had nice coherent responses to some early comments in that post - it devolved quite quickly soon thereafter although she didn’t jump into that sh** show.  

A520239B-3AEE-42AB-9EF0-C885A3CF55B1.png

4768C5BF-B434-496C-B2FC-D4AEA9CFA929.png

I’m thinking that this was Derrick on Jill’s phone. I’m rooting for Jill and hope this was actually her, but I doubt it. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 8

It is against the rules of Primetimer to discuss your own personal political opinions, or any political parties, elections or candidates, except as to how they are discussed on the show. That does not include the social media of show participants. Do not use Jill's social media to start a discussion about how you view voting, or candidates, or how she might have voted. This is out of bounds. Further discussion that violates our Politics Policy will result in warnings.

• Love 8

So by chance I found this online primer on dress code for United Pentecostals:

https://www.learnreligions.com/guidelines-of-the-united-pentecostal-churches-700118

To avoid such problems, United Pentecostal churches set these modesty guidelines for women:

No slacks "because they immodestly reveal the feminine contours of upper leg, thigh, and hip"

No makeup

No jewelry except wedding ring and wristwatch

No low necklines

No sleeveless dresses or shirts

No very tight or very thin clothes

No dress hemlines at or above the knee

No sleeves above the elbow

Uncut hair

The UPCI says balance is appropriate for women: "She is not so old-fashioned as to look like a monstrosity, but she is deliberately methodical in choosing clothing that will dignify her womanhood without provoking the stares of the opposite sex."

Guidelines for Men

While the Bible does not set specific clothing guidelines for men, United Pentecostal churches believe men and women should be distinguishable:

No hair covering the tops of a man's ears

No hair touching a man's collar

I was shocked. Derick definitely has hair that covers the tops of his ears. Jill has cut her hair and wears pants. 

So we might roll our eyes at these tiny changes in dress in Jill and Derick but in certain parts they are apparently a very very big deal:

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

https://www.learnreligions.com/guidelines-of-the-united-pentecostal-churches-700118

I was shocked. Derick definitely has hair that covers the tops of his ears. Jill has cut her hair and wears pants. 

So we might roll our eyes at these tiny changes in dress in Jill and Derick but in certain parts they are apparently a very very big deal:

Those guidelines sound like something from the 1800s. 

• Love 18

I don't think Derick or Jill were ever Pentecostals. AFAIK, Jill's dress rules while growing up Duggar, came from Bill Gothard's personal preferences, enshrined as rules for modest dress in the IBLP/ATI literature and teachings. 

Makeup was acceptable, and Gothard liked long hair in banana curls so that was okay too. And, young women wearing sandals was fine (it's been strongly alleged that Gothard probably had a foot fetish). Michelle Duggar once famously said, when discussing their clothing rules and the girls' wearing flip-flips: "Well, feet aren't sexual."  **insert eyerolls here** 

• Love 18
18 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

The Duggars aren't Pentacostals. The Duggars are IFB, which stands for Independent Fundamentalist Baptist. IBLP (the organization founded by Bill Gothard and now carrying on without Gothard) is a supplementary program that often is used in conjecture with IFB.  The Duggars are also evangelicals and Baptists; their core beliefs are the bible is everything, the written word of God is the most important thing, and it is job to spread their beliefs to everyone else.

JB answered a question about Pentacostals at  Youth for Christ Conference. He implied they aren't biblical enough during the Youth for Christ Conference video (around the 2 and 1/2 hour mark). Pentacostals are part of a group of denominations known as Charismatics. Here's how google explains Charismatics:

"Charismatic Christianity (also known as Spirit-filled Christianity by its supporters) is a form of Christianity that emphasizes the work of the Holy Spirit, spiritual gifts, and modern-day miracles as an everyday part of a believer's life. Practitioners are often called Charismatic Christians or Renewalists."

The definition I found implies Charismatics are their own denomination, but other denominations can be called Charismatics including Seven-Day Adventist, Assemblies of God, Pentacostal etc.

At the Youth for Christ Conference, people were asking questions to speakers who were JB and Michelle Duggar and David and Priscilla Waller. One person asked if they thought a relationship could work between a Baptist (what they all are) and some of a different denomination say Pentacostal. JB fielded this question. He said he thought the relationship could work, but there would be challenges. He then said it's important to be based in the Word of God. Then JB told this story about an older woman who came to JB to answer her questions about Christianity. She had joined a new church after not going to church for many years. Her new church was charismatic. She wanted to know if it was normal that people kept passing out during the service and no one paid much attention to them.  She also said they didn't open their bibles at church. 

It seems that the Duggars don't care for Charismatic Christainity any more than they do for Greek Orthodoxy, or Catholicism, etc. If this seem hypocritical, it probably is, but at this point it's too be expected from the Duggars. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

It seems that the Duggars don't care for Charismatic Christainity any more than they do for Greek Orthodoxy, or Catholicism, etc. If this seem hypocritical, it probably is, but at this point it's too be expected from the Duggars. 

They pretty much practice Duggaranity at this point, but would never realize or admit it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 15
(edited)

Because it takes work and as a Duggar Jill is allergic to that four letter word. The silver lining is that Izzy may experience that joy at heathen public school. SGirl’s fifth grade teacher started a garden with each new class. Our daughter enjoyed bringing home the fruits of their collective labor. I loved the fresh herbs sent home.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 19
28 minutes ago, SMama said:

Because it takes work and as a Duggar Jill is allergic to that four letter word. The silver lining is that Izzy may experience that joy at heathen public school. SGirl’s fifth grade teacher started a graden with each new class. Our daughter enjoyed bringing home the fruits of their collective labor. I loved the fresh herbs sent home.

Work is one of those nasty four letter words that ends in “k”.  😉 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SMama said:

Because it takes work and as a Duggar Jill is allergic to that four letter word. The silver lining is that Izzy may experience that joy at heathen public school. SGirl’s fifth grade teacher started a garden with each new class. Our daughter enjoyed bringing home the fruits of their collective labor. I loved the fresh herbs sent home.

The question always comes up, What does Jill do all day? 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Michelle claimed she was the “scheduler” for the family. Doesn’t look like Jill has much to schedule, but she is her mother’s daughter.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SMama said:

Michelle claimed she was the “scheduler” for the family. Doesn’t look like Jill has much to schedule, but she is her mother’s daughter.

Why the hell wasn't Mechelle scheduling their family's time? I've never heard this about Jill, but I believe it since Mechelle is a lazy slob.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SMama said:

I think she was also referred to as the secretary every now and then. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Why the hell wasn't Mechelle scheduling their family's time? I've never heard this about Jill, but I believe it since Mechelle is a lazy slob.

My bad, I should have been clearer. Michelle claimed her (Michelle’s) job was to schedule. Silly me, I do the same and still run our household. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

According to her famous sexytimes post, she spends a good portion of every day planning sexy activities and surprises, preparing herself for sex, and texting derick throughout the day. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3