Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Chris Knight

Jill & Derick Dullard: Counting On (Donations)

18 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jill mentioned her curriculum, but I don't recall what it was. It was NOT ATI. 

Well, that's another big point for Jill! ....and Jessa -- My goodness. Curriculum created by an Anglican! .... I wonder who convinced her to be that broad-minded?!!!! Amazing. Wonder how far she'll go with it. 

I'd assume, actually, that it's quite likely none of the kids will use the ATI curriculum...or at least won't rely on it in anyway.....I mean, it's old news, I'm  sure it's very little used anywhere today,.....

Hoping that's not just more of my wishful thinking....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Namaste said:

Thank you!

If you ever want to see what the ATI wisdom booklets are like, there's an archive here of page by page pdfs of them. Only one of the 54 books is currently missing from this archive -- 

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2015/05/31/wisdom-booklet-archive-index/

You don't have to read much to see how they take legitimate topics and weave all kinds of sophistry and obfuscating weirdness through them so that they couldn't actually end up teaching anybody anything, in the sense of schooling. And why they claim they "teach" all kinds of school-type subjects ... Pretty much every possible subject gets twisted....

Brainwashing through confusion, though, yeah.....They've got that down. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

I would bet you that Anna uses it. That one is steeped in Gothard Kool Aid, and her BIL David Waller is the current President of ATI. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 4

Just now, Sew Sumi said:

I would bet you that Anna uses it. That one is steeped in Gothard Kool Aid, and her BIL David Waller is the current President of ATI. 

Yeah, I completely agree. I forgot about Anna. 

I try to forget about Anna (and company). Glad to see that sometimes works for me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Laugh 15

5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, Bin being Bin, I have a feeling that he probably actually tried to base his lesson on something decent (according to his lights)....I think Bin means well.....But....Bin's intentions and Bin's knowledge and ability ... uh....kinda...diverge.....

Yes,  he continues to be the least educated person ever who supposedly holds a two year degree.  In my world,  that is a ticket to a bright future.

Yet, Bin is so ridiculous that he allows his wife to post videos of his haircut for our perpetual derision.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, hathorlive said:

This!  None of us think Jill and Derrick are changed for the better because of sending their kids to public school.  We just think they'll be able to conjugate verbs correctly, know the difference between gone and went, and not say "anyways".  It means they may go to college, earn a paycheck and stop the dependence on the TLC JB gravy train.  Education is the way for many who are trapped in a myriad of bad circumstances.  By not being taught by a badly educated mom, the two boys may have a chance to have a normal life where they don't have to play by JB's rules.  And that is indeed freedom.

There have been a lot of posts about how much better than JB Derick is and how good he's been for Jill. But yes, I agree that it's certainly better that Israel will be going to Kindergarten (at least) instead of being homeschooled by Jill. Whether it makes any difference in his beliefs remains to be seen, but if nothing else he'll be better educated. 

1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Creationism, with pretty much no actual science. 

Jessa’s hot take on evolution

Jenna was film for the show  when I went to the creation Museum saying evolution made sense but her programming suddenly kicked in and she said it couldn’t possibly be real anyway. 

There are many such examples out there. 

I always read that comment as another creationist talking about. Like, "Sure, those heathens make evolution *sound* logical, but don't be fooled."

• Like 6

FWIW, Charlotte Mason is kind of trendy with Christian homeschoolers now. I don't think a lot of them are going full Charlotte Mason or reading Charlotte Mason, though. Her program, if followed as she envisioned it, can be pretty intense in its own way. There are curriculums that do a watered-down Charlotte Mason-ish thing from a Christian perspective. I would be surprised if Jill or Jessa, if questioned about Charlotte Mason, could tell you a damn thing about her or what she actually said versus what some curriculum publisher has interpreted her as saying. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

14 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

If you ever want to see what the ATI wisdom booklets are like, there's an archive here of page by page pdfs of them. Only one of the 54 books is currently missing from this archive -- 

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2015/05/31/wisdom-booklet-archive-index/

You don't have to read much to see how they take legitimate topics and weave all kinds of sophistry and obfuscating weirdness through them so that they couldn't actually end up teaching anybody anything, in the sense of schooling. And why they claim they "teach" all kinds of school-type subjects ... Pretty much every possible subject gets twisted....

Brainwashing through confusion, though, yeah.....They've got that down. 

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.  

Don't bother them with truth...they've got no use for it.  Pretty damn sad.

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.  

Don't bother them with truth...they've got no use for it.  Pretty damn sad.

Very sad.

And it's amazing to me that quite a few parents fell for that crap and force fed it to their kids for years and years.....Gothard has tended to attract fairly educated parents too, it seems. .... So obviously education provides little defense against falling for crap like this. And it is such crap. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

9 hours ago, Zella said:

FWIW, Charlotte Mason is kind of trendy with Christian homeschoolers now. I don't think a lot of them are going full Charlotte Mason or reading Charlotte Mason, though. Her program, if followed as she envisioned it, can be pretty intense in its own way. There are curriculums that do a watered-down Charlotte Mason-ish thing from a Christian perspective. I would be surprised if Jill or Jessa, if questioned about Charlotte Mason, could tell you a damn thing about her or what she actually said versus what some curriculum publisher has interpreted her as saying. 

And, actually, now that I think of it, I can see how you might twist Mason's ideas into an excuse to be kind of lazy and anti-intellectual, if you're a Duggar.......(even though she didn't intended the opposite..) .......Still, I hope it at least means that they'll keep the wisdom books at bay....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

And, actually, now that I think of it, I can see how you might twist Mason's ideas into an excuse to be kind of lazy and anti-intellectual, if you're a Duggar.......(even though she didn't intended the opposite..) .......Still, I hope it at least means that they'll keep the wisdom books at bay....

Yes, and that goes beyond the Duggars too. My familiarity with Charlotte Mason comes from a homeschool curriculum editing project I worked on a couple of years ago. I had to research Mason's methods but also poke around and see how people were using them now to see if what the author was doing was a) actually Charlotte Mason and b) marketable.

And from what I could tell, in incompetent or lazy hands, it descends pretty easily into people just doing low-key stuff like sketching and oral narration and avoiding anything too rigorous. They'll even just half-ass the "living books" aspect, depriving the student of one of the best aspects of the method (in my opinion.) I could easily see the Duggar kids who are dabbling in Charlotte Mason to homeschool their own kids being attracted to the surface-level aspects without it significantly challenging them or their own kids. 

One of the things that actually intrigued me the most about Mason's methods was her fluency in foreign languages and the immersion techniques she used on her students with teaching them French and German (among others). I don't see Jill or Jessa pulling that one off, either, but I also noticed most discussions of Charlotte Mason in modern Christian homeschooling circles skip right over that. 

Though to be fair, I don't think many Americans could handle that aspect of Charlotte Mason's pedagogy. I'd like to think I'm fairly well-educated and well-read, but on a scale of 1 to 5, my foreign language ability is . . . Brad Pitt "speaking" "Italian" in Inglourious Basterds, so -5. 😉

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

🤣

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 5

Looks like Jill got invited to this girls' outing. Abbie is also there. I guess this is the one they didn't film.

• Like 8

On 2/23/2020 at 10:56 PM, farmgal4 said:

I’d like to believe that one of the primary reasons why Israel is going to a real school is because Jill has realized how woefully uneducated she truly is, and she wants better for her sons.  I may be wrong; Jill may not possess that much self-awareness.

Jill is the only Duggar daughter thus far who's shown any real interest in education. As a teenager, she wanted to study nursing. She actually asked her parents if she could go to school. They "prayed on it" and decided it wasn't God's (JB and M's) "plan for her" probably because penises and JB's need for his children's achievements to fall short of his own. They approved of the midwifery because no penises and poor Jana had to tag along (pretending to be training to be a doula). But at least Jill persisted in obtaining the education she was allowed. We've also seen evidence that she's taken some "post secondary" course(s). That's more than any of the older girls have done. Jill actually wanted to be something, to learn something. It may have come as a shock to both Jill and Derick that her education was so lacking. 

Derick clearly values education. He grew up in a family that valued education, evidenced at least by his mother's multiple degrees. I'm not surprised that they've made the decision to enroll Israel in school. 

I find their views and values abhorrent, don't get me wrong. But Derick's not the worst of them.  I also think that Jill and Derick's marriage is more of a partnership than a headship/submissive one. I don't think he's an authoritarian because I don't think that's the way marriage was modeled by his parents. I think he's been supportive of Jill and that they're working well as a unit pulling away from the Cult of Duggar. It's a process. 

And while I'm on a roll, set me a table for one.  I believe Derick's attacks on Jazz were the result of a falling out with TLC and Papa Duggar, not the cause. I see his anger at TLC taken out on Jazz. Maybe along the lines of why are they willing to deal with that "weird and abusive" family (his view,  not mine) but not deal with an upstanding Christian like me? Anyway, his bizarre Twitter rants always seemed reactionary to me, almost not about Jazz at all. 🤷‍♀️

On 2/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, Temperance said:

Austin is certainly more likable and better-looking, but he's easily the most conservative. He has shown through his words and actions that he is just like his in-laws and parents. 

The only reason Austin comes across as less conservative is because he's not active on social media. 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, Zella said:

Nvm

On 2/27/2020 at 9:07 AM, PuffinFizz said:

How did Joy rebel exactly? 

She had an inkling of a thought that may have been her own. Joe fixed her. 

• Like 20
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 7

5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Looks like Jill got invited to this girls' outing. Abbie is also there. I guess this is the one they didn't film.

That's very interesting! I wonder how awkward that was. . . . 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

At least there were no goofy black hats. 

• Laugh 8

12 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

No, I owe you an apology. My post came off as way more defensive than I meant it to. We lost a close family member last week and my preschooler is having a really hard time coping, so nobody in our house is getting much sleep. I’m sorry I was sharp tongued. 

Not at all, I think  you gave my flippant response to good run for it’s money. Hopefully whatever you’re going through will pass quickly. 

I also forgot to add that group picture must be for pregnancy announcement. Jingle doesn’t just fly to Arkansas’s for anything. I’m sure she wouldn’t even set foot there if she wasn’t contractually obligated 

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 12

12 minutes ago, mimionthebeach said:

And while I'm on a roll, set me a table for one.  I believe Derick's attacks on Jazz were the result of a falling out with TLC and Papa Duggar, not the cause. I see his anger at TLC taken out on Jazz. Maybe along the lines of why are they willing to deal with that "weird and abusive" family (his view,  not mine) but not deal with an upstanding Christian like me? Anyway, his bizarre Twitter rants always seemed reactionary to me, almost not about Jazz at all.

That's a very interesting idea, and it makes sense to me. 

I posted upthread my speculations about the dynamics between Derick and JB. Derick's late father - who apparently Derick loved very much and misses dearly - was a career law enforcement officer. He functioned successfully in an organization with a chain of command, in a job with assigned shifts and which required him to deal, every day, with all sorts of people.

OTOH, JB is a fast-talking wheeler-dealer, lord of his own realm, used to running his family and his businesses, on his own terms, on his own schedule of "Duggar Time," and being the Big Cheese at whom his wife looks adoringly at all times (at least when out in public).

I've wondered if Derick started giving JB the side-eye, the more he got to know him and watch him in action. Throw in whatever JB's financial shenanigans as to the Dillards' TLC gigs were, and the Joshgate revelations? Enough to take the shine off that relationship, I would think. And if Derick was left frustrated by TLC as well, I can see him losing it and lashing out. 

Note to JB: next time you think you're getting a submissive young Jesus freak to marry one of your daughters, one you can control and roll over at will? Be sure he doesn't have a bachelor's degree in accounting. Even those really Jesus-y accountants know about looking at the receipts and can add up numbers. Just saying.

• Like 17
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Michelle's hair is all I can see, its so dang tragic. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

I wonder where Johannah was?

Interesting that Joy rather than Lauren is holding Bella.

Aw, Jenni got to stand next to her real mom... wonder how long it was since she last got to see Jill?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

"Ok everyone smile and say cheese"

Sam: "No"

• Laugh 9

20 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I wonder where Johannah was?

Interesting that Joy rather than Lauren is holding Bella.

Aw, Jenni got to stand next to her real mom... wonder how long it was since she last got to see Jill?

It will be interesting to see if JB/Meech post anything for Jill's birthday.   I know it won't be the glowing "godly example of Jesus's grace that is Josh" worthy, but will she get anything more than "and on this day Heathen Jill came into the world to contaminate our household with public education".   It's telling we've not seen a picture of Jill and her mom since last summer.

I'm totally on Team Jill now.  And if that means dragging Derrick along, I can do that.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Zella said:

That's very interesting! I wonder how awkward that was. . . . 

Look at the body language. All the adult women are standing grouped together on either side of the group. Jill is by herself with Jenny (?) to one side and a big space between her and Jana/Jessa on the other side. Also, that is the fakest smile i’ve ever seen on Jill. I’m guessing she was only invited because JB knows there’s talk of a rift and wants to quash it, but nobody really wanted her there and she knew it. She probably only went because that’s the only chance she gets to see her nieces/nephews/little sisters anymore.

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

Who knows when the last time Jill saw Joy or Jenni was. At least they're standing together as "buddies."

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Also, that is the fakest smile i’ve ever seen on Jill. I’m guessing she was only invited because JB knows there’s talk of a rift and wants to quash it, but nobody really wanted her there and she knew it. 

That makes me really sad. I hate their beliefs and what they do and try to force on others, but I can still sympathize with Jill. She was the biggest Koolaid drinker of all and her father's favorite, I can't imagine how hard this must be for her. Everything and everyone she ever knew and loved is being turned upside down. I really do hope she has some kind of therapy.

• Like 18

Does anyone know when was the last time JB and Jill were in a picture together?

Is that Anna between Abby and Lauren? She looks so different. 

• Like 4

In the Jinger thread, there were pictures of Gideon at the breakfast. Wonder why he isn’t in the group shot. Did he take the picture?

• Laugh 7

7 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

In the Jinger thread, there were pictures of Gideon at the breakfast. Wonder why he isn’t in the group shot. Did he take the picture?

These are two different outings. Jill attended the Panera lunch, not yesterday's breakfast.

• Like 4
  • Useful 6

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

wait...what??? is abbie not being filmed and why???  I have  not heard about this//

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jessa must be feeling the heat in her comments. 

Zoom in on Joy’s midsection. Snug dress, obvious bump. I bet $5 she’s pregnant, and that this whole girls’ day thing is so TLC can film her announcement. 

• Like 14

They wouldn't be filming Jill, who has been invited today. I can see either Joy or Jinger announcing at the breakfast yesterday. 

Jill headlines Jessa's latest photo dump.

• Like 4

So many fake smiles, so little time. Is Hannie babysitting the not pictured boy children?

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Lauren looks super short in that pic. Is she sitting?

• Like 2

Lolli is promoting herself in the group shot and  Pops reminded her to pitch Jana while she's at it. Looks like Jill just happened to stop by with the boys.

Target? I bet Jinger didn't purchase one thing. And why didn't they get something from this century for that poor JSlave in the thin cotton prairie dress.

Joy? Yup. Preggers.

• Like 5

Joy is definitely pregnant. Puffy face, obvious bump in the midsection. I imagine she announced with Jill there and they filmed a re-enactment at the TTH after she left.

• Like 8

I definitely think at least one of the married sisters is pregnant, but I'm not sure who. I think we may get more than one announcement close to the season start. 

• Like 4

How did Hannie get out of this? Or Kendra, for that matter? But especially Hannie, since Kendra is at least a grown married woman. 

Jenni has really grown. She should lose the prairie dresses and start dressing at least more like Hannie or Joy.

• Like 11

Hannie's probably watching Anna's kids. Lord knows we can't depend on Smuggar to do wimmen's work. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

Jill is the only one wearing pants. Jinger still is dressing like Betty Draper. I'm glad Jill's not completely estranged from her family -- at least for the purposes of a photo shoot.

• Like 7

I'm going to say it's a double pregnancy announcement from Jinger and Joy. Maybe it's just me but there's something different about Jinger's face, her nose seems a bit wider and her jowls a bit rounder.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

An early pregnancy announcement from Joy would make sense for Jinger to travel alone and so suddenly (forget her exact verbiage, but that was the implication). Joy shows almost immediately, so she knows she can't hide in those baggy schmattas for long without everyone in social media land suspecting. There is no announced date for Season 11. If Joy is indeed pregnant, she'll have to announce publicly long before the show comes back. Jinger? She carries pretty small, so an announcement from her (if she's also pregnant now) can wait a month or two.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jessa must be feeling the heat in her comments. 

Omg Jessa needs to cut that hair. And why does she have it all pushed forward like that? It looks ridiculous.

• Like 15

Jessa thinks that’s fundie chic. Jessa’s always the one the most conscious of keeping the 19 and Counting look. Also, it makes her look like “Lolli.” 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6
  • Sad 1

Aethera

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.